Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hammerfell

Every country in the world that has a coast line or an inland sea able to support fishing cares about Fishing and the men and women who brave the sea to bring home the seafood, and whom for some its their staple diet... ask the Netherlands, French and Spanish fishermen how important it is!
You’re just a parody at this point.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Time will tell. Many people harbour bias so lets see how it goes. Cause hindsights important.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Every country in the world that has a coast line or an inland sea able to support fishing cares about Fishing and the men and women who brave the sea to bring home the seafood, and whom for some its their staple diet... ask the Netherlands, French and Spanish fishermen how important it is!
Majority of people barely eat any fish anyway. It being brave is meaningless when there are millions more people potentially being negatively affected.

Smores

Can I suggest that you search around the various aviation sites on the web to see why Ryanair insist on EU passports.

Absolutely, positively, definitely one of the very worst employers in the whole of Europe.
It isn't just Ryanair that this applies to, there's been plenty of stories from recruiters that demonstrate a preference for those with EU passports. That really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone though!

Maticmaker

Majority of people barely eat any fish anyway
Really!
According to google:
Seafood is the largest traded food commodity in the world.
100 million tonnes of fish eaten world wide per year.
Provides 2.5 billion people world wide with at least 20percent of their average per capita animal protein intake
Many of the worlds poorest people dependent on fish

( source quoted June 2005 Rome EU Science Hub)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Really!
According to google:
Seafood is the largest traded food commodity in the world.
100 million tonnes of fish eaten world wide per year.
Provides 2.5 billion people world wide with at least 20percent of their average per capita animal protein intake
Many of the worlds poorest people dependent on fish

( source quoted June 2005 Rome EU Science Hub)
Not sure what worldwide consumption has to do with it.

Regardless, it's not the point. Supposedly voting to possibly help a small amount while millions of others are affected negatively is stupid, is the point.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Supposedly voting to possibly help a small amount while millions of others are affected negatively is stupid
Not if you are part of the small amount. There was always going to be winners and losers within Brexit, the fishing industry lost out last time and will be looking to claw something back.

These fishing quotas represent a massive positive for the UK in its forthcoming negotiations with the EU and the maximum benefit has to be accrued from any final settlement, not just in amounts but in for how long the quotas last. UK fishermen and those onshore interests associated with the industry will be keeping an eye on all this.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not if you are part of the small amount. There was always going to be winners and losers within Brexit, the fishing industry lost out last time and will be looking to claw something back.

These fishing quotas represent a massive positive for the UK in its forthcoming negotiations with the EU and the maximum benefit has to be accrued from any final settlement, not just in amounts but in for how long the quotas last. UK fishermen and those onshore interests associated with the industry will be keeping an eye on all this.
But they're not part of the small amount. That's the point.

Why are people hundreds of miles from shore supposedly concerned about fishermen possibly getting paid a bit more (which is all this really amounts to) when everyone else will most likely end up negatively affected financially?

The answer is they aren't. They're just looking to justify their stupid vote.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I will never follow this. The UK fishing industry is controlled by a minority who sold their quotas to foreign fishermen but some blame the EU. Also has @Paul the Wolf suggested, what you guys consume the most is cod which doesn't come from your waters and barely comes from the rest of the EU too, it's mainly from Iceland, China and Russia.

Full bodied red

It isn't just Ryanair that this applies to, there's been plenty of stories from recruiters that demonstrate a preference for those with EU passports. That really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone though!

Of course not....And certainly not in the case of Ryanair who have a habit of employing you in, say, Manchester and two weeks later sending you to live and work in, say Bucharest whether you want to go there or not. You won't go ? Then it's bye-bye.

Hence their need for the EU Residence or Work Permit. So in other words, the requirement basically excludes UK passport holders unless, like myself, they already have Residency Approval in an EU country although that may change - I've no idea.

Probably this sort of stuff will become more frequent and, let's face it, reciprocal until the politicos sort out something better than exists since last week.

On the other hand, how will the UK courts react if, say, British Airways or SportsDirect post ads for jobs for those ' who have the right to live and work in the UK ' only.

No doubt some smart arse Human Rights Lawyers are already waiting with baited breath for the chance to sue BA and / or SportsDirect for Discrimination.

Maticmaker

But they're not part of the small amount. That's the point.
The fishing industry is- that's the point!

Why are people hundreds of miles from shore supposedly concerned about fishermen possibly getting paid a bit more (which is all this really amounts to) when everyone else will most likely end up negatively affected financially?
This is just nonsense, there is a trade off and fishing quotas are prized highly in certain EU countries and will be used as 'bargaining chips'.

The answer is they aren't. They're just looking to justify their stupid vote.
Who is looking to justify their vote, in the referendum, in the latest GE, what on earth are you talking about??

Fosu-Mens

What fish?

Only Iceland and Norway have any healthy population of fish left due to them having learned from previous years of overfishing.

Most countries in the EU have overfished for decades. And despite the new "overfishing" regulations from the EU this year, which by the way are far below what most scientists say are sustainable quotas, Britain will most likely have even less sustainable quotas.

Maticmaker

The UK fishing industry is controlled by a minority who sold their quotas to foreign fishermen but some blame the EU
Some of the fishing quotas were sold to foreign fishermen, those and those that didn't sell both blamed the UK government for agreeing to the EU quota system. They feel they were sold out and fear it will happen again.

what you guys consume the most is cod which doesn't come from your waters and barely comes from the rest of the EU too, it's mainly from Iceland, China and Russia.
True, that's why the UK needs independent trade agreements, i.e. that suit the needs of a cod loving nation, with those countries that supply it

JPRouve

Scout
Some of the fishing quotas were sold to foreign fishermen, those and those that didn't sell both blamed the UK government for agreeing to the EU quota system. They feel they were sold out and fear it will happen again.

True, that's why the UK needs independent trade agreements, i.e. that suit the needs of a cod loving nation, with those countries that supply it
So basically, the EU have little to do with the point that you tried to make. You do realize that the fishing industry lobby in the UK will have more influence on the UK alone, then they would on the EU and they are the one who made a fortune selling their quotas, the smaller fishermen who feel that they got sold out aren't gaining any more influence, they just put themselves in a situation they are alone with the ones that shafted them in the first place.

I wish them good luck and hopefully british politicians won't be influenced by the richer and larger side.

Here you have an interesting article and I highlight this fun fact.

One of the flagships of the “Brexit flotilla” – which sailed up the Thames in 2016 to demand the UK’s exit from the EU – is among the UK’s 10 biggest quota-holders

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Who is looking to justify their vote, in the referendum, in the latest GE, what on earth are you talking about??
We're in the Brexit thread mate, keep up. And the people near me who use this as a reason, who I was talking about to begin with.

This is just nonsense, there is a trade off and fishing quotas are prized highly in certain EU countries and will be used as 'bargaining chips'.
Again, why should I be interested in this? Yes, I want to keep people in jobs, but should them possibly being given more freedom take priority over everyone else being worse off (which is the choice these people, the people who I am talking about who have given that as a reason for their vote, have made)? Nah.

If it was a vote purely to help them, all for it. A vote that might help them but will negatively effect everyone else? Seems like a bad reason.

Don't Kill Bill

I will never follow this. The UK fishing industry is controlled by a minority who sold their quotas to foreign fishermen but some blame the EU. Also has @Paul the Wolf suggested, what you guys consume the most is cod which doesn't come from your waters and barely comes from the rest of the EU too, it's mainly from Iceland, China and Russia.
The EU fishermen take a 5-1 ratio of fish from UK waters compared to UK from EU waters.

That was 30,000 jobs from Grimsby and Hull alone lost following the UK entering the common fishing policy. Of course the UK wants redress after we leave the EU.

While I accept it is complicated and gets boiled down to simplistic jingoistic nonsense I really think its a bit rich lecturing other countries on this if you are from France.

JPRouve

Scout
The EU fishermen take a 5-1 ratio of fish from UK waters compared to UK from EU waters.

That was 30,000 jobs from Grimsby and Hull alone lost following the UK entering the common fishing policy. Of course the UK wants redress after we leave the EU.

While I accept it is complicated and gets boiled down to simplistic jingoistic nonsense I really think its a bit rich lecturing other countries on this if you are from France.
I'm not lecturing the UK and there isn't a moment where I would pretend that France is any better, the difference is that I blame my country and my countrymen, I don't blame the UK or the EU for our own actions.

Edit: And I will tell you the same thing, small french fishermen better not have the stupidity to put themselves alone against the big french fishing firms, they are already bent over and will get worse.

RedChip

On the other hand, how will the UK courts react if, say, British Airways or SportsDirect post ads for jobs for those ' who have the right to live and work in the UK ' only.

No doubt some smart arse Human Rights Lawyers are already waiting with baited breath for the chance to sue BA and / or SportsDirect for Discrimination.
I'm not sure what your point is. I thought that is what employers have to do under the law, i.e. employ only those that have the right to work and live in the UK?

Smores

Of course not....And certainly not in the case of Ryanair who have a habit of employing you in, say, Manchester and two weeks later sending you to live and work in, say Bucharest whether you want to go there or not. You won't go ? Then it's bye-bye.

Hence their need for the EU Residence or Work Permit. So in other words, the requirement basically excludes UK passport holders unless, like myself, they already have Residency Approval in an EU country although that may change - I've no idea.

Probably this sort of stuff will become more frequent and, let's face it, reciprocal until the politicos sort out something better than exists since last week.

See what you've done there is describe actual discrimination and then compare that to justifiable job requirements.

I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and assume you're being purposefully frivolous

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Are people really suggesting that a requirement to prove you can live where your potential job will need you to be situated, if you are the successful applicant, is somehow a snub to BREXIT ? :lol:
It's really a gem. I wonder how you come up with something like that. Were they looking for people who weren't allowed to work for them before?

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not sure what your point is. I thought that is what employers have to do under the law, i.e. employ only those that have the right to work and live in the UK?
It's lost on him that the immigration services may have an issue with a company employing people that don't have the right to work and live in the UK.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

A very small industry and as you say it is far more complicated than Brexit style jingoism https://www.dw.com/en/uk-fishing-industry-or-brexits-red-herrings/a-51418061

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not at all as this is exactly what will be required of employers post-brexit? What do you think happens now? Essential election criteria #3: Applicants without the legal right to work in the EU preferred?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
An interesting claim, if the UK agreed one trade deal a week it would take 14 years to replace all of the trade agreements we've given up by leaving the EU.