Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The point is these frictions were not unexpected. They were guaranteed to come into play when we decided to leave the customs union. That isn't about poor implementation, it's a direct consequence of the withdrawal. Pointing that out isn't failing to move on, it's reiterating a point that was made from the beginning: this is going to happen, it's going to create problems, and the people that support Brexit are sticking their fingers in their ears and pretending it won't happen. It is not about blame, it is about accountability. People need to fully understand what they voted for and why these are the consequences. It would have been better if that happened earlier but it still needs to happen now. Choosing not to see the problems and just hoping they will disappear on their own creates more problems.
there are two issues here, and perhaps the use of the work friction has muddied the waters.

clearly there are going to be issues at the beginning of this relationship that will flush themselves out as everyone moves on, adjusts to new processes and procedures. Some of that is what we are seeing now, this won’t go on in perpetuity.

and yes we do need to move on and stop using rhetoric such as consequences.

the reality is that there is a big percentage of the population who will never be able to evaluate the merits of the referendum. That’s not to say we shouldn’t have had a vote, in the same way that there’s a % of people who don’t understand politics full stop. Yet they vote, and will never be aware of the ‘consequences’.

actually what we need to be doing is to work out the best way forward, and stop looking back.

fecking hell. I’m fed up of political discourse in the country and the world being

group a: please don’t do something incredibly stupid

Group b: we are doing it and it’s not stupid.

*something stupid happens*

Group b: we need to move on and make the best of this, please group a stop causing friction. There’s absolutely nothing we could have done.
if that’s aimed at me, should we just sit around analysing old decisions and what went wrong/right? There’s an element of needing to do that of course, but it shouldn’t be the main focus.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
there are two issues here, and perhaps the use of the work friction has muddied the waters.

clearly there are going to be issues at the beginning of this relationship that will flush themselves out as everyone moves on, adjusts to new processes and procedures. Some of that is what we are seeing now, this won’t go on in perpetuity.

and yes we do need to move on and stop using rhetoric such as consequences.

the reality is that there is a big percentage of the population who will never be able to evaluate the merits of the referendum. That’s not to say we shouldn’t have had a vote, in the same way that there’s a % of people who don’t understand politics full stop. Yet they vote, and will never be aware of the ‘consequences’.

actually what we need to be doing is to work out the best way forward, and stop looking back.
Allowing people to have no accountability for their choices inevitably leads to worse choices in the future. Extra accountability for extra important decisions is entirely appropriate. Being forced to reckon with mistakes you've made is unpleasant, but it is necessary and it is constructive.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The Remain campaign didn't lie enough. Although if you asked me to name any Remain campaigners I would struggle.
There were a huge number of mistakes made. And more concerning an even bigger number of downright lies and illegalities by the leave side.
But those are now history. And no one forced gullible people to vote the way they did.
And now it is important that the numerous issues resulting from the vote play themselves out in the public domain such that we are all forced to deal with them openly and obviously.
There is no going back so enjoy the ride.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
@ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg

I think you need to add a few lines on what you actually believe.

If your position is “Everything is now harder, more time consuming and thus more expensive, and it will be this way forever”. Say so.

Because it feels like your saying that using every available phrasing aside from something that simple.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
There were a huge number of mistakes made. And more concerning an even bigger number of downright lies and illegalities by the leave side.
But those are now history. And no one forced gullible people to vote the way they did.
And now it is important that the numerous issues resulting from the vote play themselves out in the public domain such that we are all forced to deal with them openly and obviously.
There is no going back so enjoy the ride.
Agree you can't change the past but what should be learnt is lessons of the mistakes of the past. Trump and Brexit are examples of not learning from the mistakes.

Now the consequences, they have to be dealt with, very few of the consequences have even started and people are already talking about things getting better quickly.

People have to be accountable, the Leave campaigners must not get away with it and Trump should not escape punishment.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Agree you can't change the past but what should be learnt is lessons of the mistakes of the past. Trump and Brexit are examples of not learning from the mistakes.

Now the consequences, they have to be dealt with, very few of the consequences have even started and people are already talking about things getting better quickly.

People have to be accountable, the Leave campaigners must not get away with it and Trump should not escape punishment.
In a democracy, the punishment is ultimately served at the ballot box. We need to vote these feckers out.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The average Joe is not knowledgeable enough to judge what a clusterfeck this is. My landlord was asking me how difficult can filling some forms be?

@ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg

I think you need to add a few lines on what you actually believe.

If your position is “Everything is now harder, more time consuming and thus more expensive, and it will be this way forever”. Say so.

Because it feels like your saying that using every available phrasing aside from something that simple.
Ok. I’ve tried to be clear. Clearly I haven’t.

I don’t know what the future will be like - it is likely we won’t find some sort of equilibrium until 2022, there’s just too much uncertainty at the moment. Both in terms of trade/ political relationships but also Covid. Will it be more difficult? Probably, but that could be only marginally so.

however, I do believe what we are experiencing is because we are all getting used to how things are working/ not working and that it will calm down. Implementation of new processes and procedures always takes time, lots of firms don’t know what they are doing, and change processes are notoriously difficult to manage, and everyone is trying to do so at the same time with very little guidance, direction or expertise.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The average Joe is not knowledgeable enough to judge what a clusterfeck this is. My landlord was asking me how difficult can filling some forms be?
What was your answer? Did he consider the time consumed between not having to fill them and having to do it thousands of times per year and then adding the fact that they will/can be checked.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Very much so.
But in a very perverse way, most all of the emerging problems in the UK are going to be dwarfed by the pandemic. And the pandemic is going to dominate the public consciousness for some time to come.
Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see those responsible held to account.
But as is normal, they will get away with it and the poorest will be the biggest loser's.

Oldyella

fecking hell. I’m fed up of political discourse in the country and the world being

Group b: we need to move on and make the best of this, please group a stop causing friction. There’s absolutely nothing we could have done.
100%

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Very much so.
But in a very perverse way, most all of the emerging problems in the UK are going to be dwarfed by the pandemic. And the pandemic is going to dominate the public consciousness for some time to come.
Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see those responsible held to account.
But as is normal, they will get away with it and the poorest will be the biggest loser's.
The thing is if I'm not mistaken the pandemic reduced consumption and trades. Things could actually be worse if everything goes back to what it was a few years ago, more demand, more trucks, more ferries; more delays at customs, more people not having the papers they are supposed to have.

Fully Fledged

I did clarify this. I’m not blaming anyone, in fact I’m advocating that we move on from this, as there’s really no point in debating the rights and wrongs of a decision made 4.5 years ago. and I wasn’t talking about the decision to leave, but the negotiating teams - and I stand by the fact that this current mess is due both sides taking it to the wire. hopefully it’s just teething issues.

I wasn’t making any comment on our future relationship.
I'm not talking about the decisions made 4-5 years ago. I'm talking about the line taken by both sides of the negotiations 2 weeks ago. One side wanted a close relationship even days before the trade agreement was signed while the other wanted a hard exit. Both side are not equally responsible for the position we are in.

I'm not talking about the decisions made 4-5 years ago. I'm talking about the line taken by both sides of the negotiations 2 weeks ago. One side wanted a close relationship even days before the trade agreement was signed while the other wanted a hard exit. Both side are not equally responsible for the position we are in.
I didn’t say anything about apportioning responsibility. Let’s roll this back. My original point is that it’s futile to blame the electorate.

yes, each side has a responsibility for the current situation we are in. Again it’s futile to try and apportion this - especially when doing so just reflects ones beliefs.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Nailed it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Yep, and in a few months Group B start saying "it was always this difficult to do things before we did the stupid thing" followed soon after with "we never did the stupid thing, it was Group A who did it".

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The thing is if I'm not mistaken the pandemic reduced consumption and trades. Things could actually be worse if everything goes back to what it was a few years ago, more demand, more trucks, more ferries; more delays at customs, more people not having the papers they are supposed to have.
Not doubting that.
I was responding to a post calling for accountibility, which I agree with. Covid is and will be the dominant narrative for a few months at least.

Fully Fledged

I didn’t say anything about apportioning responsibility. Let’s roll this back. My original point is that it’s futile to blame the electorate.

yes, each side has a responsibility for the current situation we are in. Again it’s futile to try and apportion this - especially when doing so just reflects ones beliefs.
I wasn't blaming the electorate. I've done that in the past and we have moved past that but I am apportioning blame on the negotiating teams and I agree this does reflect our beliefs.

FireballXL5

Yep, and in a few months Group B start saying "it was always this difficult to do things before we did the stupid thing" followed soon after with "we never did the stupid thing, it was Group A who did it".
And then all Group B does is...

Paul the Wolf

It's already started two posts above your post. Apparently it was the EU who was just as much to blame for the UK leaving the Customs Union.

MoskvaRed

One side has responsibility - the one who forced through a huge upheaval on the basis of a wafer thin majority based on lies and ignorance. And your earlier post about blame being assigned to those who implemented the referendum suggests that, even after 5 years, you have yet to grasp that there was no good implementation of the referendum result - it was a graph with a 45 degee angle line marking reducing regulatory alignment on the y axis and economic damage on the x axis..

One side has responsibility - the one who forced through a huge upheaval on the basis of a wafer thin majority based on lies and ignorance. And your earlier post about blame being assigned to those who implemented the referendum suggests that, even after 5 years, you have yet to grasp that there was no good implementation of the referendum result - it was a graph with a 45 degee angle line marking reducing regulatory alignment on the y axis and economic damage on the x axis..
you have failed to grasp that I have moved on.

of course there could have been a better implementation of the referendum. I don’t understand your point unless it’s “told you so - it was going to be bad...” which is the sort of binary commentary which serves no purpose.

MoskvaRed

you have failed to grasp that I have moved on.

of course there could have been a better implementation of the referendum. I don’t understand your point unless it’s “told you so - it was going to be bad...” which is the sort of binary commentary which serves no purpose.
I’m over it too - we’ve left and I doubt we’ll re-join - but my point is that it was a binary choice as the EU27 are 10 times bigger than the UK and were determined to preserve the principle of the unity of the four freedoms. Given the range of realistic outcomes (so no Liam Fox “easiest deal in history” scenarios) what was a good implementation - some kind of Norway arrangement or a full break? Because I fail to see some magic middle ground - either we keep access (as a rule taker) or go our own way (with all the attendant obstacles to trade).

I’m over it too - we’ve left and I doubt we’ll re-join - but my point is that it was a binary choice as the EU27 are 10 times bigger than the UK and were determined to preserve the principle of the unity of the four freedoms. Given the range of realistic outcomes (so no Liam Fox “easiest deal in history” scenarios) what was a good implementation - some kind of Norway arrangement or a full break? Because I fail to see some magic middle ground - either we keep access (as a rule taker) or go our own way (with all the attendant obstacles to trade).
what I meant by implementation, was the actual implementation of the deal. It’s clear that could have been far better, and better timed.

at this point, we don’t know the real stances of both sides. I’m sure we will see in 30 years more of the truth come out.

whether the likes of Fox misjudged the outcome, or was just politically posturing I don’t know. But that’s a different discussion.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
considering how left wing the forum is, it won’t be many...

However, in all seriousness, the referendum was 4.5 years ago. It’s not the people who voted for it you channel your frustration at, it’s those who implemented that direction, and the parting of ways. On both sides of the channel.
The later wouldn't be an issue if there hadn't been people voting for self harm in the first place.

People who voted for it should be forced to wear a badge or something so we know who they are. If nothing else so we can stop them breeding/voting/playing with sharp objects.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

The later wouldn't be an issue if there hadn't been people voting for self harm in the first place.
He still has not understood that the process of customs checks and bureaucracy is not related to the trade deal that was agreed recently, its was because of the Withdrawal Agreement confirming that the UK was unilaterally leaving the Customs Union and that is not going to change. Not some last minute scramble over the line but an agreement that took three and a half years to agree and was finalised nearly a year ago.

Hands up anyone who understands this in the UK.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
All I’ve read so far in 2021 is business hit by red tape. Some Japanese firms planned ahead:

I do find myself wondering what the number of job losses will be due to Brexit. I’ve got a feeling that the impact of COVID and Brexit will kill some big retailers like M&S.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What was your answer? Did he consider the time consumed between not having to fill them and having to do it thousands of times per year and then adding the fact that they will/can be checked.
I told him he doesn't understand supply chain logistics and left it at that. Couldn't be bothered to elaborate.

Paul the Wolf

Yeah, I agree he is probably thick. But the UKIP guys, they were selling lies like hot cakes.
The only way Leave could win was if they told lies. As the truth gradually unfolds people will realise it, not necessarily admitting that they had been duped.

Additionally the Leave campaigners themselves didn't have a clue what Leave actually meant but that was not a problem, they just said what they thought people wanted to hear. Facts were completely irrelevant.

People are acting surprised by the initial problems, but if anyone had listened to people who knew what they were talking about, this wouldn't have happened and there are a lot more yet to surface

The problem was that they were never seriously challenged and this is vital, never tolerate lies and ignorance, it has to be challenged incessantly.

NWRed

So, has anyone else bought something from the EU since the 1st of January and been hit with import charges like me?

Maticmaker

My point is that they voted this way partly thinking their lives can't possibly get any worse. Their lives can very demonstrably get worse. Not quite in the remainer fantasy where the UK crashes and burns. But little things. Their weekly food shop becomes more expensive. Their time in between jobs becomes longer. Their benefits no longer covers as much as it used to. Their one holiday they went on every year/ few years now becomes much more expensive/ impossible. More shops will close on their high street.

I agree with your second paragraph in a way and I remember wondering and saying during those votes whether remainers would, in failing to support a lighter deal, contribute to leading us down the road to a much harsher deal.

The 'other side' were never ever going to agree to withdrawing A50 or to have a rethink. For so many of their most fervent proponents, even the mention of a 2nd referendum was akin to treason and they and the media had whipped the population up into believing their rhetoric. Some of these people had dedicated their entire political lives to this moment, they weren't going to give it up easily.

By that point, it was all about 'get brexit done', not any kind of nuanced discussion on our future relationship with our biggest trading partners and a group of countries that should include amongst them our very closest friends.
Weekly food shop was already too high for many, foodbanks became the norm in many areas;
Unemployment was worsening, zero hours contracts became more prevalent. They were ok for some who need the working time flexibility, not for those with families who need working hours (paid)certainty;
Universal Benefits are already in place giving a much narrow range of benefits to many in these deprived areas, on worsening protocols;
Even families (with 2.4 kids) with both parents working could not afford holidays, time-off as well as financial restrictions;
Shops closing virtually every week, also including Post Offices and Banks, even some ATMs were removed in specific areas.

When did you ever hear a remain campaigner saying to people in such as these areas, that things will get better if we stay in the EU; all they offered was more of the same, or warnings of dire consequences, or 'project fear' as the Brexiteers gleefully seized upon and named such warnings.

Yes its true all the above may well get worse as 'fall out' from Brexit, but for people who were already at the sharp end of the above, and had been for sometime, then telling them to vote remain, (in effect for more of the same) was a nonsense. Brexit was offering 'a change' and for those in the above situations it was 'an idea whose time had come'.

Realistically Labour should have romped home in both post and pre referendum GE's, but with Corbyn in charge and unable to make up their mind on the EU . Then Tories got a free ride and ultimately all but wiped out Labour in its heartlands.

When you add the above to the other reasons for voting Brexit (which many gave at the time) you can see this was the main grouping that remainers might have won over with some thought to how they campaigned. People who voted Brexit for 'sovereignty, ending free movement, control of our own laws etc. would always have voted Brexit, it was their new religion. People who wanted a better life however were never given any consideration, they either had to vote to stay as they were, or were enticed to vote for the dream, the idea whose time has come!