Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Agree with @JPRouve . I'd love to rejoin tomorrow if we could and have said before I personally have no issues with closer political union etc etc. But I can't see any way in which we rejoin the EU in a generation.

Both from the UK perspective (there's still a hardcore significant Brexit component in the UK and always will be, people won't want to admit they're wrong and I've noticed even people who are very pro-Europe generally are finding themselves a bit aggrieved at times because of the inevitable friction between the UK and EU, any rejoin referendum would be similarly slim margins imo) and from the EU perspective (we've always been an awkward member, we've caused everyone a lot of headaches in the last 5 years, even most of the pro-EU lot in the UK are generally not as pro closer political integration).

Yes we'll be a loss economically, culturally, politically etc to the EU but peace of mind probably will be significantly better for the EU and they can carry on with their business without one of their largest and most important members always throwing up roadblocks.
Absolutely. As @JPRouve said, the loss of trust and respect now runs so deep it's hard to see how anyone in this generation of EU politicians would want to go through negotiations again with such a bad faith operator.

Brexit is still somehow being championed as a success and if we were to rejoin, wouldn't we need to adopt the euro? Can't imagine that happening.

MoskvaRed

Re-joining has been a dead duck since the elections in December 2019. And sadly, even with a less nationalist UK government, there is no obvious alternative option. Neither the Norwegian nor the Swiss model would be practicable for the UK, even if offered.

Another big Brexit win that’s gone unnoticed is the postal service.
Even tracked postage from UK to Europe now takes weeks instead of the previous 4 working days due to customs clearance.

Had a few things sent lately, some for daughter’s birthday from parents, 3 weeks later and still in customs check.

So much winning.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Even tracked postage from UK to Europe now takes weeks instead of the previous 4 working days due to customs clearance.

Had a few things sent lately, some for daughter’s birthday from parents, 3 weeks later and still in customs check.

So much winning.
Should it really be taking that long even with Brexit? Family have sent stuff to the UK and (previously other) Eu countries in the past and its arrived within a few days usually.

Which to be honest we took as a big win because we thought it would disappear totally coming from Egypt....

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

So much winning.
I must admit I'm no fan of brexit but for me at least the reality is that posting parcels has been pretty much unaffected... the only parcels I've had issues with is where people have not sent the proper customs declarations with it... (presents are hard because you want to wrap them and for it to be a surprise but they have to have an item description and value in the customs docs...

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I read The Times every day… :D

only because I get a subscription with my AMEX card.

Read mostly for the sport, but it’s set up pretty well that you can dive in and out.

Im surprised to hear more people read the telegraph that the times.
The Times sports content is exceptional. I used to buy it every Monday for The Game section.

It’s too Tory Tub-Thumpy for me to read it cover to cover daily though.

The Times sports content is exceptional. I used to buy it every Monday for The Game section.

It’s too Tory Tub-Thumpy for me to read it cover to cover daily though.
I find the app layout really good. If you avoid the ‘comment’ tab, it’s fairly neutral.

i wouldn’t pay for a subscription, but I do look at it most days now I’ve got it.

I must admit I'm no fan of brexit but for me at least the reality is that posting parcels has been pretty much unaffected... the only parcels I've had issues with is where people have not sent the proper customs declarations with it... (presents are hard because you want to wrap them and for it to be a surprise but they have to have an item description and value in the customs docs...
Customs declarations done bang on and no wrapping… both stopped at customs since arrival at Swedish/Stockholm customs.

https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/tracking-results/RN163301702GB

https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/tracking-results/RN527201755GB

Mate who sent first package works for amcor, has had similar issues sending to Holland and Belgium.

Last edited:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
So you don’t give a shit if the bombings start up again? Because that’s what they are gambling with here, not just that the North go short of a few items
But the vast majority of unionists in NI, and the largest unionist party, were in on the gamble.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Customs declarations done bang on and no wrapping… both stopped at customs since arrival at Swedish/Stockholm customs.

https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/tracking-results/RN163301702GB

https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/tracking-results/RN527201755GB

Mate who sent first package works for amcor, has had similar issues sending to Holland and Belgium.
I've not had any issues... though stopped using royal fail several years ago due to them being a shambolic clusterfec

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

This tosser is supposed to be the leader of the opposition. Clearly he understands nothing about Brexit as was totally apparent during the past five years.
Obviously he hasn't realised that the Withdrawal Agreement was signed a lot more than 6 months ago that was supposed to have been ratified by parliament and voted for and I believe he himself voted for it.

It is part of British law apart from International law and the UK have to implement the NI Protocol. There do have to be checks between NI and GB if the the UK does not align completely with EU standards.

What a hopeless prat. Free ride for Johnson.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Who knew that rushing through a trade deal just to give brexiteers something to shout about would be a bad deal for us?

Even Boris let the mask slip and said it was more important “politically and symbolically”. :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

@Wibble your PM isn't being shy about this deal.
He is the acting PM while #scottyfrommatketimg is at the G7. He is utterly despicable and I hate him even more than #scottyfrommarketing. Today's highlight was acusing The Greens of being "traitors to Australia" when they asked him why the government were ignoring the impacts of global warming on farmers.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is the acting PM while #scottyfrommatketimg is at the G7. He is utterly despicable and I hate him even more than #scottyfrommarketing. Today's highlight was acusing The Greens of being "traitors to Australia" when they asked him why the government were ignoring the impacts of global warming on farmers.
It's funny that you mention that because while reading some of the positive comments about him, I told myself that you influenced my negative view of Australian conservatives, with environment being arguably the worst of it. From what I see Australia has had many problems with water management and water pollution but the conservatives are flippantly ignoring it. IIRC there are even farmers that have issues with it, due to the lack of sustainability, even if they are some of the beneficiaries of conservative politics?

Anyway it was kind of strange to see a politician essentially say that he doesn't give a damn about the other side of the deal, hours after signing it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Besides fishing, farming and financial services, we're wrecking the food and drink industry too.

UK exports of food and drink to the EU fell 46.6% to £1.7bn in the first quarter, but the slump compared to the first three months of 2019, stripping out the Covid effect, was even greater at 55.1%, according to the Food and Drink Federation. Exports to non-EU countries rose though in Q1 2021...but by only 0.3%.

https://www.ft.com/content/e93a6512-73de-486d-9e00-80d9c8aa3ca1

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Besides fishing, farming and financial services, we're wrecking the food and drink industry too.

UK exports of food and drink to the EU fell 46.6% to £1.7bn in the first quarter, but the slump compared to the first three months of 2019, stripping out the Covid effect, was even greater at 55.1%, according to the Food and Drink Federation. Exports to non-EU countries rose though in Q1 2021...but by only 0.3%.

I think steel and tourism are the next target industries to destroy. Hail Liz Truss, clueless wonderwoman.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Next year though 0.30% and the year after that 0.300 % - hundred times the amount of today. That's your typical brexwin.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

The whisky industry must gagging for Scottish independence

finneh

That does not sound as cool as you think it does.
How about: why should a white man be rich at the expense of a non-white man being poor (given that protectionism protects the former at the expense of the latter)?

nimic

something nice
Scout
How about: why should a white man be rich at the expense of a non-white man being poor (given that protectionism protects the former at the expense of the latter)?
Sure, but that particular argument could just as easily go the other way. In fact, that's kind of the point of left-wing anti-globalization. That the "global market" leads to the exploitation of the poor countries by the rich countries, where the poor are the providers of cash crops and raw resources while being outcompeted by the rich countries on both manufacturing and agriculture - goods the inhabitants of those poor countries are then often unable to adequately afford.

MoskvaRed

That’s a valid opinion but I’m not sure that is the reason 52% voted leave. I don’t remember the rights of developing nations featuring heavily in the campaign literature.

finneh

Sure, but that particular argument could just as easily go the other way. In fact, that's kind of the point of left-wing anti-globalization. That the "global market" leads to the exploitation of the poor countries by the rich countries, where the poor are the providers of cash crops and raw resources while being outcompeted by the rich countries on both manufacturing and agriculture - goods the inhabitants of those poor countries are then often unable to adequately afford.
That's as a result of Western protectionism. Western countries ensure that selectively chosen raw materials have zero tariffs, but as soon as those raw materials are processed to any minor degree into more profitable products they incur huge import tariffs (ensuring that Western companies are able to profiteer without fair competition). Effectively poor non-white people can harvest raw materials but those same people aren't able to process them into more profitable produce for a living wage. It's literally designed to keep the poor, poor.

Historically it's gone one step further... White Western countries buy raw goods at tariff free prices and EU programs are designed to subsidise over-production. This means EU companies can as a false economy "dump" excess overproduced goods (subsidised by EU taxpayers) back to poor countries who were exploited for cheap produce in the first place. We literally exploited their vulnerable position, blocked their ability to make a good living and dumped government subsidised produce back into their market, making their farms non-viable.

My point isn't that we should exploit poor countries via low tariffs. It's that we should allow poor Asian/African countries the same opportunities as poor European nations had over the last few decades. If the EU/European dream is a great one why don't we allow every poor country in the world the opportunity to enjoy it by extending the zero tariff zone to every country with a lower GDP per capita than the average EU citizen?

Or... as a hilarious comedian once said... is it only "all right if it's all white"?

That’s a valid opinion but I’m not sure that is the reason 52% voted leave. I don’t remember the rights of developing nations featuring heavily in the campaign literature.
I'm weird... I don't care about UK prosperity if it's at the expense of worldwide famine. Why should an unskilled Brit have access to a £9 an hour job when an equally unskilled Somalian can't earn 20% of that?

Last edited: