g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Plus, it was above $2 as recently as 2007. That's a 50% drop in 15 years.

continuing a long term trend

Id also say there are some parallels to be drawn to the 1972 budget and the energy crisis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_sterling_crisis

The IMF better start looking down the back of the sofa as I dread to think how big a bail out we might need by 2024

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

Plus, it was above $2 as recently as 2007. That's a 50% drop in 15 years.
The recent drop has nothing to do with Brexit, as much as I would like to blame that huge mistake of a decision. It is a rational and intentional decision made by a number of states (the central banks) in the last week or so to stabilize the complete degeneration of trust created by the energy crisis and the war. The Dollar is stable because it has a unified economy and military behind it while Europe, including the UK, is seen as a risk now by investors for both the fluidity of the gas supply over the winter as well as the potential for war (NATO protects, but it's the EU and UK business most affected by war rather then US).

Investors are like all people, very emotional. IMO, Europe is on the way to creating energy independence from Russia (this winter will be a big test), and by spring or next year, trust will go back to normal.

Jericholyte2

The recent drop has nothing to do with Brexit, as much as I would like to blame that huge mistake of a decision. It is a rational and intentional decision made by a number of states (the central banks) in the last week or so to stabilize the complete degeneration of trust created by the energy crisis and the war. The Dollar is stable because it has a unified economy and military behind it while Europe, including the UK, is seen as a risk now by investors for both the fluidity of the gas supply over the winter as well as the potential for war (NATO protects, but it's the EU and UK business most affected by war rather then US).

Investors are like all people, very emotional. IMO, Europe is on the way to creating energy independence from Russia (this winter will be a big test), and by spring or next year, trust will go back to normal.
It had been gradually dropping (fluctuations aside) since the Brexit vote. Admittedly that has little to do with this crazy week.

jackal&hyde

It had been gradually dropping (fluctuations aside) since the Brexit vote. Admittedly that has little to do with this crazy week.
I know, I was talking about the recent big drop.

The Brexit situation was always going to weaken the coin due to business seeing more hurdles to profit, tariffs, etc. The only way after Brexit was down for obvious market reasons. Brexit is mega shit for literally everyone.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Brexit Part One is over.
They conned the people to vote to leave using the media with nationalism and xenophobia as bait.

The Brexiters thought the EU and the rest of the world would be falling over themselves to give them what they wanted.
There are no fantastic trade deals to be had - everyone in the UK is just worse off.
And there's no way back to the EU for decades.

Part Two has just begun. Will the people be conned again?

Deregulation, destruction of people's rights, austerity, end of the welfare state.
Surely the people won't be as stupid this time, or will they?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Brexit Part One is over.
They conned the people to vote to leave using the media with nationalism and xenophobia as bait.

The Brexiters thought the EU and the rest of the world would be falling over themselves to give them what they wanted.
There are no fantastic trade deals to be had - everyone in the UK is just worse off.
And there's no way back to the EU for decades.

Part Two has just begun. Will the people be conned again?

Deregulation, destruction of people's rights, austerity, end of the welfare state.
Surely the people won't be as stupid this time, or will they?
Not sure if serious, when has the masses ever be anything other than stupid?

Paul the Wolf

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/12/uks-brexit-divorce-bill-stood-at-36.7bn-in-2021-eu-audit-reveals

UK’s Brexit divorce bill stood at £36.7bn in 2021, EU audit reveals
Settlement was down from £41.7bn, reflecting payments already made to cover UK obligations

The European court of auditors’ annual report revealed that the UK was expected to make €10.9bn in payments to the EU during 2022.

The Treasury, however, in July revised the Brexit bill upwards by £5bn, from £37.3bn to £42.5b, blaming the rising cost on meeting the UK’s obligations to pay EU staff pensions.

Have to pay for Farage's pension.

WPMUFC

BMW to move production of electric Minis from UK to China

BMW is to axe all UK production of the award-winning electric Mini and switch it to China, dealing a major blow to hopes that Britain could be a global hub for zero-emission vehicle manufacture.

BMW makes 40,000 electric Minis a year at its Cowley factory on the outskirts of Oxford. Production will end next year as part of plans to reshape the carmaker’s line-up from 2024.

It is another hit to the UK’s pretensions to become a leader in global electric car manufacturing, following Honda’s decision to quit Britain not long after the decision to leave the European Union in 2016. The Japanese carmaker decided to end plans to make electric cars for the European market at its factory in Swindon, switched production back to Japan and shut the plant with the loss of more than 3,000 jobs.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-of-electric-minis-from-uk-to-china-7sgftsxz2

Maticmaker

:smirk:
They don't have an ounce of common sense.
Shouldn't that be "they don't have 28.3495 grams' of common sense?....:nono:

Perhaps old Moggy has a point, must admit even today when asked to measure I tend to think first in feet and inches. "Silly old sausage" as my granddaughter use to tell me when I was trying to help her with her homework. :confused:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Shouldn't that be "they don't have 28.3495 grams' of common sense?....:nono:

Perhaps old Moggy has a point, must admit even today when asked to measure I tend to think first in feet and inches. "Silly old sausage" as my granddaughter use to tell me when I was trying to help her with her homework. :confused:
Silly old emulsified, high-fat offal tube as we have to say now.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Worst part is I could show it to my Brexiteer parents and they'd call the Telegraph left leaning and anti=Brexit.

Paul the Wolf

I really do hope this is introduced in May next year when it's supposed to - the amount of moaning from Brexiters will be another comedy highlight.

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/p...s-and-visa/smart-borders/entry-exit-system_en

Entry/Exit System (EES)

The Entry/Exit System (EES)Search for available translations of the preceding linkEN••• will be an automated IT system for registering travellers from third-countries, both short-stay visa holders and visa exempt travellers, each time they cross an EU external border. The system will register the person's name, type of the travel document, biometric data (fingerprints and captured facial images) and the date and place of entry and exit, in full respect of fundamental rights and data protection.
It will also record refusals of entry. EES will replace the current system of manual stamping of passports, which is time consuming, does not provide reliable data on border crossings and does not allow a systematic detection of over-stayers (travellers who have exceeded the maximum duration of their authorised stay).

Paul the Wolf

More Brexit benefits. It's shocking how everyone just accepts continues to accept brexit and support tories.

I watched it. What is disturbing is that nobody seemed to have a clue what would happen including those in business. When it seemed so obvious what would happen.

There's still much worse to come but people still seem to be hoping that it will get better.

Nobody says how it could possibly get better.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People make mistakes. That's life. What I find shocking is the omerta the political class and media have entered to not talk about it.
The only people in the media that seem to talk about it is ex bbc staff.

Paul the Wolf

Until the politicians , the public and everyone understands what being in the EU, being in the single market and being in the Customs Union actually means, there is little hope.

Ellwood hasn't a clue and thinks they could just rejoin the Single Market when they want. Still years and years away from reality hitting and decades away from rejoining.

tombombadil

I watched it. What is disturbing is that nobody seemed to have a clue what would happen including those in business. When it seemed so obvious what would happen.

There's still much worse to come but people still seem to be hoping that it will get better.

Nobody says how it could possibly get better.
Yes. Very disturbing. And how the whole country is allowing itself to be played like a fiddle and somehow continue to accept brexit and the tories. And the media is complicit in this with their silence.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Let's go another year, or few years, where households (myself included), suffer really badly from this decision before we rejoin. Not just the brexiters but the couldn't be arsed to vote assholes like me. We all need this pain.

As for those Northern working class bastard turkeys actively voting for Christmas, they need to suffer the most and the most painfully. Another car manufacturer leaving should help. There's just nothing more real than pain, a proper eye and brain opener.

Edit: "What's that? You're poor and losing your house? No jobs in your region anymore? GERRONWIVIT!!"