Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Really? Would you want your meat to potentially be a way lower standard than before?

No one should need to ask that because it should be a basic requirement for your food to be good quality, and before we shot our selves in the foot had no need to worry.
I really do not care. I'm happy to smuggle my own meats and cheeses in when I go back home, nobody checks it and I'm not dead yet. Its also way cheaper than buying it here imported. And someone mentioned horse meat, well you can get that here if you want.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
I don't give a crap where the product is coming from because I got used to be in a society that has regulations, tests and compliance that protects me of any harm. Lift those regulations, stop having checks, start having food poisoning potentially killing people or other problems in other products and you'll see how rapidly people will start checking origins in the labels and ask in restaurants

Moronic take, as usual
What interest is there for a seller to give poisoned foods? I assume you've never been to a poor country and eaten anything, if you have, did you question the origin of what you were eating?

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
It's an interesting take on unverified/unchecked imported products, that will probably vary from end user to end user.

Would you mind to be a consumer of unchecked cheese? Meat? Phones? Cars? Airplanes? Dializers?
Lots of manufacturers recall stuff all the time, cars, phones and planes. They all seem to pass safety guidelines somewhere

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
What interest is there for a seller to give poisoned foods? I assume you've never been to a poor country and eaten anything, if you have, did you question the origin of what you were eating?
Er.... I don't know if you are trolling with this question but I'll bite. Food poisoning doesn't mean poison your food silly, it means that the food is such a low quality that it can cause food poisoning. Do you know what food poisoning is? look it up

And I travelled to 70 countries, with many of them with questionable food standards but trust me, I was aware were I was, I knew that I was healthy, and most important I accepted the risk. Also I was paying way less. If in my supposedly first world country I pay 20-25 Dollars steak in a supermarket I don't want to go into the shitter with diarrhea and maybe going to the hospital.

Also, I am going to Mexico tomorrow with my 9 month old. Do you think I will buy certain local products that I would buy in canada? do you think that I will give him tap water?

Do you think that old people with health problems would go to eat street food in certain countries? Do you think that if UK imports low quality products that can cause health problems and goes to the news people will not start to look at labels? Don't you think that they would sue the government if it is negligent? Do you think that if a car has safety issues, people will be less inclined to purchase it?

Moronic take, again, even worse

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
"Manufacturers recall stuff all the time" is a brave argument to use in defense of the position that safety guidelines don't matter.
:lol::lol:

I wonder why they get recalled. For the good will of the manufacturers sure

Jeez stupid take after stupid take

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Er.... I don't know if you are trolling with this question but I'll bite. Food poisoning doesn't mean poison your food silly, it means that the food is such a low quality that it can cause food poisoning. Do you know what food poisoning is? look it up

And I travelled to 70 countries, with many of them with questionable food standards but trust me, I was aware were I was, I knew that I was healthy, and most important I accepted the risk. Also I was paying way less. If in my supposedly first world country I pay 20-25 Dollars steak in a supermarket I don't want to go into the shitter with diarrhea and maybe going to the hospital.

Also, I am going to Mexico tomorrow with my 9 month old. Do you think I will buy certain local products that I would buy in canada? do you think that I will give him tap water?

Do you think that old people with health problems would go to eat street food in certain countries? Do you think that if UK imports low quality products that can cause health problems and goes to the news people will not start to look at labels? Don't you think that they would sue the government if it is negligent? Do you think that if a car has safety issues, people will be less inclined to purchase it?

Moronic take, again, even worse
I lived in Mexico City for 5 years, eating questionable Street food is one of the greatest delights there. Don't insult my intelligence with your 'I know better than you' attitude.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I lived in Mexico City for 5 years, eating questionable Street food is one of the greatest delights there. Don't insult my intelligence with your 'I know better than you' attitude.
Is not better than you attitude is like in this topic you are being ridiculous like the result of food poisoning = seller give poisoned food :lol::lol:

Good for you on the street food, we are the same on this regard. We know that usually has great taste, is cheap and not the usual experience...and we know the risk. And we risk it. Others font want to risk it and others can't risk it. And those that are not just a few, much appreciate european standards and regulation that minimize life threaten health circumstances

You are not everybody and your take is stupid. In other topics you might be great reasoning (im still waiting though or i missed it) but this is not the case

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Point being that they passed the standards to get to manufacturing / sale point
But whose standards? EU standards ? Mogg wants those gone, UK standards? No-one knows what they are because they haven't got around to doing it. Chinese standards?

All Mogg is saying to all countries around the world, you can ship what you like to us, we don't care, we don't care if it's dangerous, poor quality or whatever. We're not going to check it and have any documentation tracing the stuff.

But it doesn't end there. It's not only the British consumer that is at risk, it's the whole world where the Uk want to export to.
If the rest of the world know that the UK doesn't do checks on it's imports then they could use what they import to make products for export and the UK have to provide the certification etc for what they export which they wouldn't be able to do.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
On the wider context you can’t let electrical goods in for example without checks. “Oh they’re ok, it looks like an Apple product”

Paul the Wolf

Same in the Netherlands, no salbutamol for lung patients
It's available in France on prescription. Collection the next day.

Have noticed that Pharmacies are keeping lower stocks of some medicine (to reduce their costs) but they order it if they're low on any particular stock and it's delivered to them from a central depot within 24 hours.

Paul the Wolf

On the wider context you can’t let electrical goods in for example without checks. “Oh they’re ok, it looks like an Apple product”
Morons like Rees-Mogg are highly dangerous people. He has zero idea what he's talking about but his Brexiter followers lap it up.

It's all sorts of products from food, to plywood, to chemicals to electrical goods and millions of others, which if he had his way he'd let into the country without any checks or complete paperwork. All products should be tested and certified.

How he's able to talk such nonsense on public media without censure is insane. There's no accountability in the UK.

Paul the Wolf

This is part of a LBC radio programme with the Uk's business secretary, the one who's currently supposed to be negotiating deals, whose intention is to become PM as did one of her predecessors, Truss.

Like Truss she has absolutely no idea what she's doing and understands nothing. In all likelihood she will be gone within months and the Tories will have lost the GE.

A flicker of hope. No, she will be replaced by some other idiot from the Labour party who understands just about as much, will want the same benefits inside and out of the EU, have no idea what being in the Single Market or he Customs Union means and will waffle on about some veterinary agreement and a renegotiation.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's available in France on prescription. Collection the next day.

Have noticed that Pharmacies are keeping lower stocks of some medicine (to reduce their costs) but they order it if they're low on any particular stock and it's delivered to them from a central depot within 24 hours.
You should have kept that quiet, next time the farmers are on strike the depots will be a target to pressurize Macron :D

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
EU proposes UK free movement deal for young people
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68848046

The EU wants to agree a deal with the UK to bring back some pre-Brexit rights to enable young people to live and work in each other's countries.

The European Commission is seeking talks on a deal that would effectively bring back a version of free movement for people aged between 18 and 30.

The UK already runs schemes with some non-EU countries to allow people to come to the UK for up to two years.

It says it is open to extending that to individual EU member states.

But Downing Street says it prefers these country-by-country deals rather than an agreement that would apply across all 27 EU member states.

And Labour has said it has "no plans for a youth mobility scheme" if it wins the general election later this year.

A party spokesperson said it had already pledged "no return to the single market, customs union or free movement" if it takes office.

It added it wanted to improve the UK's relationship with the EU by agreeing new arrangements for recognising work qualifications, trading food and agricultural products, and touring performers.

----

Good to see Labour staying to the right of this Government on this. It isn't like 18-30 years olds vote for them anyway.

Paul the Wolf

It added it wanted to improve the UK's relationship with the EU by agreeing new arrangements for recognising work qualifications, trading food and agricultural products, and touring performers.

----

Good to see Labour staying to the right of this Government on this. It isn't like 18-30 years olds vote for them anyway.
Starmer wants to tour the EU as a clown chasing after smuggler gangs.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
EU proposes UK free movement deal for young people
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68848046

The EU wants to agree a deal with the UK to bring back some pre-Brexit rights to enable young people to live and work in each other's countries.

The European Commission is seeking talks on a deal that would effectively bring back a version of free movement for people aged between 18 and 30.

The UK already runs schemes with some non-EU countries to allow people to come to the UK for up to two years.

It says it is open to extending that to individual EU member states.

But Downing Street says it prefers these country-by-country deals rather than an agreement that would apply across all 27 EU member states.

And Labour has said it has "no plans for a youth mobility scheme" if it wins the general election later this year.

A party spokesperson said it had already pledged "no return to the single market, customs union or free movement" if it takes office.

----

Why would the EU want this and why would Labor be against it? Afraid of the gammon vote?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why would the EU want this and why would Labor be against it? Afraid of the gammon vote?
First part, because the EU isn't as vindictive or childish etc as many of the posters on here, who want to get every dig in any every opportunity.

Labour because Starmer is so afraid of being attacked on anything Brexit related the twat, particularly in the red wall I'd imagine. And probably doesn't think he'll lose the youth vote anyway.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I meant what is in for them? There must be a benefit for them I assume.
That their young citizens would get (relative) freedom of movement in a country that many of them previously (and still do) visit and work in, as the largest speaking english country in the continent.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Because they are afraid of countries like Turkey joining the EU and do having loads of young Turkish men coming as they please to the U.K. strikes fear into the oldie voters

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Probably to attract the best and brightest from the UK as the country sinks and perhaps to repatriate those who go to the UK and bring back their experience and English skills. I imagine there would also be some soft power influence

Bert_

Probably to attract the best and brightest from the UK as the country sinks and perhaps to repatriate those who go to the UK and bring back their experience and English skills. I imagine there would also be some soft power influence
Next up - exit visas for anyone wanting to leave the UK to prevent the brain drain

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Fecking traitor! You'd be added to the hit list if anyone could find it. The person looking after it was signed off sick by a doctor so we had them executed for being workshy.
I saw the light but it took me 30+ years and I left a few years before the Brexit vote :D

Paul the Wolf

It's not possible and never has been possible for Brexit to be a success and never will be. Covid and Ukraine have been a brilliant excuse for the UK government because they used it to convince the public that that's the reason, whilst also lying about how they were brilliant at dealing with Covid because the UK left the EU. How gullible can a nation be?
Covid and Ukraine has affected every country in the world.

So what is or was expected: Lower immigration - no - told you so - higher immigration - lower from the EU but much higher from elsewhere.

Taken back control - no - what of - unless the UK up anchor and separate themselves from the rest of the world - they have to deal with the international community and abide by international laws including trade laws and human rights laws and many others.

Democracy - haha - government now does what it likes with no accountability. Wave a flag.

Trade - the UK always traded with the rest of the world but somehow the brexiters convinced the gullible otherwise. What's more the UK have far less deals and access to global trade than they did when they were in the EU.

Saving money - no - still paying what they owe plus Farage's pension etc - and the cost in hundreds of billions in loss trade and income.

Stop Freedom of movement - that killed the dream for millions of Britons. When these fools are fingerprinted next year when they go on holiday to the EU, it will be so hilarious.

Now what are they expecting:
New checks and costs - it's what they wanted should have been in place a few years ago but they got a grace period. Should kill trade a little more.

Trade deals: Aus & NZ - they'd have been better off without them.
CPTPP - not even ratified yet - complete waste of time.
India - if that ever happens it's for India to sell their services to the UK not a benefit for the UK.
Other hopefuls - Canada and the USA not interested.

Starmer even said he wasn't even going to try.

Only hope is Starmer learns and Customs Unions and Single Markets - or the best hope Labour get voted in and the remove him and replace him with someone with a backbone and knowledge

Freeports: We'll let the poor souls discover the next catastrophic decision.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Trade deals: Aus & NZ - they'd have been better off without them.
Australia loved this deal. Great terms for Australia due to the Tories being prepared to get reamed as long as they had a trade deal to wave about.

Hilariously Australia's greatest concession was relaxing working holiday visa regulations. Given we desperately need people to pick our produce, in places Australian's generally don't want to live, which is very hard work for not great money it was another bonus for Australia.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Australia loved this deal. Great terms for Australia due to the Tories being prepared to get reamed as long as they had a trade deal to wave about.
Just wait to they get really desparate and agree one with the US, cholrinated chicken and GM food!