Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Arlene Foster is a weapon and the DUP are total nutters. The Tories are absolute fools for ever getting into bed with them. They'll regret it now.

Untied

Arlene Foster is a weapon and the DUP are total nutters. The Tories are absolute fools for ever getting into bed with them. They'll regret it now.
DUP: We want no further divisions between NI and Eire
Also DUP: Let's campaign for Brexit

The amount of stupidity in politics at the moment is astonishing

Massive Spanner

DUP: We want no further divisions between NI and Eire
Also DUP: Let's campaign for Brexit

The amount of stupidity in politics at the moment is astonishing
The DUP fecking love the idea of an NI totally segregated from Ireland! Keeping NI in the customs union is the worst possible scenario for them.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The domino effect, she surely can’t pick and choose which parts of the UK to remain in the single market?
If she concedes NI, then she’ll have to concede for the whole country? And end up losing her parliamentary majority also.

Massive Spanner

The domino effect, she surely can’t pick and choose which parts of the UK to remain in the single market?
If she concedes NI, then she’ll have to concede for the whole country? And end up losing her parliamentary majority also.
The logic will be that NI is the only part of the country sharing a border with the EU, I would guess.

This is clearly going towards a soft Brexit now anyway.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Can't see how we don't get an election with the next couple of months. The situation has spiralled completely out of control.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The logic will be that NI is the only part of the country sharing a border with the EU, I would guess.

This is clearly going towards a soft Brexit now anyway.
I can accept a soft Brexit, if that's the best deal presented to us.

If the DUP back out of their agreement with the Tories over this, is there a chance for another election?

GloryHunter07

Peston is implying that May is going to offer "regulatory alignment" for the whole UK.. despite not having it cleared by the Cabinet.

Massive Spanner

I don't think the DUP actually will back out. They'll huff and puff but they won't lose their current position over it when it comes down to things.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I still can't believe May called the snap election. What an amazingly bad decision that turned out to be. Following straight from the decision of Cameron to give a referendum on leaving the EU as if it was a simple binary question.
Put on top of that Johnson having a job and that Mogg guy looking to the leadership role, the conservatives are beyond a joke at this stage

Nogbadthebad

I don't think the DUP actually will back out. They'll huff and puff but they won't lose their current position over it when it comes down to things.
They will.

What may is doing is offering single market to NI and only NI. Because she has guaranteed there will be no border, even under no deal conditions, that is the only way to do it.

Under a no deal, we immediately go to WTO rules, and they require a hard border everywhere, unless we have a single market type agreement. So that is what they have agreed to, whether may and davis realize it or not.

That means a hard border between NI and the rest of the country, unless we all remain in the single market. the DUP will never accept it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Descended into a shambles, as was expected. Sturgeon's correct - you can't reasonably give beneficial deals to one part of the country and not expect others to follow suit as well.

The one remaining solution will be for a soft Brexit deal. It's one which won't really satisfy anyone, but it's pretty much the only viable solution at this point because having one country in a completely different relationship to the EU from the rest of the country is mental. Especially when others parts of the country want that same deal.

The DUP can feck off, though. Seemingly want all the perks of Brexit without having to enact a border. Again, this has been known to be the situation for a while and yet they've been operating in denial.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They will.

What may is doing is offering single market to NI and only NI. Because she has guaranteed there will be no border, even under no deal conditions, that is the only way to do it.

Under a no deal, we immediately go to WTO rules, and they require a hard border everywhere, unless we have a single market type agreement. So that is what they have agreed to, whether may and davis realize it or not.

That means a hard border between NI and the rest of the country, unless we all remain in the single market. the DUP will never accept it.
At the moment it's "custom union" not "single market".

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We're only just getting started. There's plenty more things they'll suddenly realize we actually need.
Aye, once it's all said and done I suspect we'll opt for a soft Brexit. At the moment we're basically caving into all EU demands to some extent.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
People who believe obvious lies and vote for self-destruction are stupid in my book , it's a generalisation .
Fine, if want to continue in that vein, but tell me how does it add to the validity of your argument by trying to belittle people who don't think as you do?
Gives you a nice warm glow does it, a feeling of superiority, but no of course, wait, you are a self confessed arrogant sod, so everything becomes clear now

Lies and half truths abounded in the referendum on both sides, people voted for what they believed in, on both sides... yours lost!

You have a short memory.
Just like you!

see you in the next post!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Once that happens we’re effectively in the EU without any of our previous benefits. Great job Brexiteers
There is also the possibility to virtually lose NI. NI and ROI want freedom of movement and no border, basically the Single Market-Schengen package, that's possible if they get a very deep autonomy.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
You know it's nonsense when an 'Irishman' is thanking the brits.
I found it surprising too, I thought they strongly disliked us Brits though after listening to what they were saying I start to understand.

One line of thought was that Ireland as the only English speaking country left in the EU will get swamped.

PS - I didn't join I just scrolled through.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Descended into a shambles, as was expected. Sturgeon's correct - you can't reasonably give beneficial deals to one part of the country and not expect others to follow suit as well.

The one remaining solution will be for a soft Brexit deal. It's one which won't really satisfy anyone, but it's pretty much the only viable solution at this point because having one country in a completely different relationship to the EU from the rest of the country is mental. Especially when others parts of the country want that same deal.

The DUP can feck off, though. Seemingly want all the perks of Brexit without having to enact a border. Again, this has been known to be the situation for a while and yet they've been operating in denial.
When Sturgeon and co were asking for just such an arrangement? :smirk:

Anything that you Remainers would deem 'soft' or 'viable' likely amounts to a betrayal of the vote. But what would that matter, we thickos who voted Brexit could simply be ignored again by the Europhile chattering classes.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Anything that you Remainers would deem 'soft' or 'viable' likely amounts to a betrayal of the vote. But what would that matter, we thickos who voted Brexit could simply be ignored again by the Europhile chattering classes.
Good, you should be. As for betrayal of the vote, the common understanding at the time amongst Leave voters (perpetrated by the top Leave campaigners) was that we'd stay in the Single Market anyway. So by leaving the Single Market you're actually betraying your own side too.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Fine, if want to continue in that vein, but tell me how does it add to the validity of your argument by trying to belittle people who don't think as you do?
Gives you a nice warm glow does it, a feeling of superiority, but no of course, wait, you are a self confessed arrogant sod, so everything becomes clear now

Lies and half truths abounded in the referendum on both sides, people voted for what they believed in, on both sides... yours lost!

Just like you!

see you in the next post!
So you think people who believe obvious lies and vote for self-destruction are intelligent?
Makes more sense, explains the mess the UK is in.

I did not vote, I did not lose, the residents of the UK and people whose rights are being taken away through ignorance lost.
My memory is fine, if you don't tell lies , you can't be caught out, lesson to be learnt there.

GloryHunter07

When Sturgeon and co were asking for just such an arrangement? :smirk:

How do you know the hard/soft criteria which people voted for Nick? It certainly wasn't on my ballot paper.

Rooney24

What a complete mess. The DUP will never wear this. Shit is about to get real.