Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I feel with all the negativity re. Brexit in here you guys are forgetting the fact that you get your blue passport back. Rejoice.

Sweet Square

The fiscal contraction brought about by the Conservative-led coalition government starting 2010 was sizable: aggregate real government spending on welfare and social protection decreased by around 16% per capita. At the district-level, which administer most welfare programs, spending per person fell by 23.4% in real terms between 2010 and 2015, varying dramatically across districts, ranging from 46.3% to 6.2% with the sharpest cuts in the poorest areas. Using data from government estimates on the simulated intensity of specific welfare cuts across districts, I show that support for Ukip started to grow in areas with significant exposure to specific benefit cuts, after these became effective ...

The austerity-induced increase in support for Ukip is sizable and suggests that the tight 2016 EU referendum result (leave won by a margin of 3.5 percentage points) could have well resulted in a victory for remain, had it not been for austerity. The point estimates suggest that in districts that received the average austerity shock, Ukip vote shares were, on average, 3.58 percentage points higher in the 2014 European elections or even 11.62 percentage points higher in the most recent local elections prior to the referendum. Due to the tight link between Ukip vote shares and an area’s support for leave, simple back of the envelope calculations suggest that leave support in 2016 could have been up to 9.51 percentage points lower and thus, could have swung the referendum in favour of remain.

Honest John

Technically we have not had austerity in that the nation has spent more than it has earned every year since the crash.

Sweet Square

And years of pissing through money beforehand.
Possibly yeah although what happen of the crash was never about necessary belt tightening because we spent to much on hospitals which was how it was framed. We really could go back to giving finance huge amounts of power and destroying industrial work force.

Technically we have not had austerity in that the nation has spent more than it has earned every year since the crash.
I think we used the word austerity in the UK as a way to link together what happens in Europe but as Varoufakis points out what is happening in Britain is actually Class war e.g. attack on the welfare state etc.

Zlatattack

I really hope for a brexit where free movement of people is retained in exchange for the customs union. It'd piss the racists right off.

GeorgieBoy

I really hope for a brexit where free movement of people is retained in exchange for the customs union. It'd piss the racists right off.
Would be hilarious given that a large amount of people voted to leave purely because of this reason.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Possibly yeah although what happen of the crash was never about necessary belt tightening because we spent to much on hospitals which was how it was framed. We really could go back to giving finance huge amounts of power and destroying industrial work force.

I think we used the word austerity in the UK as a way to link together what happens in Europe but as Varoufakis points out what is happening in Britain is actually Class war e.g. attack on the welfare state etc.
Then we get into the thing of Democrats promoting home ownership, Republicans deregulating banks so they can lend more freely and kaboom. Just a broad political breakdown.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Then what is Brexit? Those are the two vital cogs of the leave argument. You might gain some control over deregulation and get to negotiate a gazillion new trade deals but it looks like a worse outcome than something countries like Norway receive while being part of the EU.