Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
We've had a bunch of people whose only thought is overturning Brexit and look at the political dregs who they've made more than welcome. Not a single austerity backing voting record has been too much to gloss over. I have absolutely no faith in any of these 'People's Vote' pricks being even remotely interested in what comes next, looking at what they've been more than willing to overlook.

This is the first time I've seen any (even remotely) high profile politician wishing to talk about what happens next when Brexit isn't an issue anymore, in regards to learning the lessons from it getting to this point in the first place. May will be begging for any of these debates to be about Brexit and nothing else. Just like people like Soubry, Cable and co probably can't believe their luck when the gathered hordes don't bring up what they were more than willing to do with poor people's lives before this came along. Soubry went to a march, with thousands of people who are supposedly concerned about vulnerable people post-Brexit, three days after voting to keep the Universal Credit rollout assessment secret and was welcomed like a hero.

These people have had two and a half years, some of the most media friendly names in politics and an almost guaranteed spot on any medium that they wish, to come up with even a 'back of a fag packet' message or slogan for what comes next. When is the grand reveal?
We have forever to talk about the economic direction of the country and just under 4 months to avoid Brexit. Right now I’ll take any supporters from any party who’ll oppose it, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to be supporting their economic ideas afterwards. This is a cliff edge event, and I’m fecked if I’m ok with falling off it because everyone’s too busy squabbling about which road we should have taken to reach the cliff.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
So why doesn’t Corbyn want to just focus on putting that forward as the official Labour position? Why the desire to talk about austerity instead? Are there still people who don’t know Labour are anti-austerity?
Because there are people out there who blame the EU for problems caused by austerity. You can't not mention domestic politics in this debate

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The deal is based on May's red lines, if the red lines change, so will the deal
The only real red line May had was to end free movement. Labour has the same position.

Dobba

We have forever to talk about the economic direction of the country and just under 4 months to avoid Brexit. Right now I’ll take any supporters from any party who’ll oppose it, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to be supporting their economic ideas afterwards. This is a cliff edge event, and I’m fecked if I’m ok with falling off it because everyone’s too busy squabbling about which road we should have taken to reach the cliff.
Good luck with that as a slogan for a second referendum. People saying that for the last decade worked wonders at the last one.

Because there are people out there who blame the EU for problems caused by austerity. You can't not mention domestic politics in this debate
You can if you're one of the People's Vote masses. Mostly because people would then wonder why they should listen to the very people who have repeatedly voted for austerity, long before Brexit came along, at the second vote they're trying to get.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You can if you're one of the People's Vote masses. Mostly because people would then wonder why they should listen to the very people who have repeatedly voted for austerity, long before Brexit came along, at the second vote they're trying to get.
Whereas they’re absolutely fine following the lead of the Tory far right who cheerlead for Brexit?

Smores

Well....this is going to get interesting.

I don't know how we get there but this must happen, a referendum must happen.

It completely pulls the rug out of Mays risking a no deal ploy which is great.

Last edited:

alsabi

Well....this is going to get interesting
Significant indeed. This isn't the final court ruling but they go with the Advocate-General's opinion most of the time. If upheld this would ironically be the only scenario where the UK could actually 'take back control' - a future trade deal would be subject to 27 member states' vetoes, as would any attempt to rejoin down the road.

Honest John

Yes, very interesting development. A few permutations there. This is becoming like some weird platform game.

Honest John

From the beeb

Bank of England governor Mark Carney says ts recent forecasts of the impact of Brexit were not something the central bank came up with overnight.

"There's no exam crisis. We didn't say up all night," he says.

In fact, he says a core team of 20 senior economists worked on it for a couple of years, 150 different professionals across the Bank were also drawn in and then the report was reviewed by both the Monetary Policy Committee and the Bank's Financial Policy Committee.

Load of bollox. David Davis knows more than that lot put together....:smirk:

Classical Mechanic

Imagine how great it would be to unilaterally repeal Brexit and the our lives stop becoming dominated by Brexit. One can but hope.

Imagine a newscast with no Brexit news!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Imagine how great it would be to unilaterally repeal Brexit and the our lives stop becoming dominated by Brexit. One can but hope.

Imagine a newscast with no Brexit news!
I'd be ecstatic to wave goodbye to the words 'Brexit' and also 'mathematically impossible'.

Dobba

Whereas they’re absolutely fine following the lead of the Tory far right who cheerlead for Brexit?
Well Jo Johnson, a man who has literally never voted in favour of the UK's membership of the EU, or EU nationals right to remain in the UK - had a special event held in his honour. They even got Gary Lineker to pop along and softball interview him.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Well Jo Johnson, a man who has literally never voted in favour of the UK's membership of the EU, or EU nationals right to remain in the UK - had a special event held in his honour. They even got Gary Lineker to pop along and softball interview him.
Enemy of my enemy. It’s a temporary thing to get what we want. Needs must.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So in light of this news:
When May fails in parliament and there is no time or patience from the EU left to re-negotiate, meanwhile the economic forecasts continue to be terrible and companies either threaten to or actually leave the UK in anticipation of a no-deal Brexit. The chances of a no-deal vs cost/negotiation-free remain referendum should be pretty good then?

Cal?

CR7 fan
When May fails in parliament and there is no time or patience from the EU left to re-negotiate, meanwhile the economic forecasts continue to be terrible and companies either threaten to or actually leave the UK in anticipation of a no-deal Brexit. The chances of a no-deal vs cost/negotiation-free remain referendum should be pretty good then?
No deal v Remain!! :drool:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
With one major problem (at least as I see it)

The only people who can legislate for a second referendum are the government

May says she wont... and if she did I suspect the 48 letters would go in so quick she wouldnt be able to follow through on it ... result is most probably a eurosceptic leader who will just go full hard on Brexit

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

In a weird sort of way, this might make it easier for May to pass her shit deal.
Imagine what's going through the minds of some Tories hearing this?

Infra-red

Interesting development. Obviously none of this is binding and we need to wait for the actual ECJ ruling, but it does look like the hard Brexiteers' "no deal" dream is in serious jeopardy - there will never be a majority in Parliament for it and MPs can now (probably) block it from happening, if necessary.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Interesting development. Obviously none of this is binding and we need to wait for the actual ECJ ruling, but it does look like the hard Brexiteers' "no deal" dream is in serious jeopardy - there will never be a majority in Parliament for it and MPs can now (probably) block it from happening, if necessary.
Surely you don't need anything to happen for a "no deal" dream, as since Article 50 was pulled, if nothing happens we just crash out?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
More like Norway, who are pretty much in the EU without being in it
But it's not, customs checks still there which will kill the UK, plus services not covered sufficiently.
You still have no say, no seats in parliament , still pay contributions.

At least with May's deal the Uk is still in the customs union etc but doesn't have a say until NI is resolved which it never can be. There is only one sensible solution an that is remain in the EU.

My ratings on a scale of 1 to 10 where staying in the EU is 10.
May's deal is minus 27
EEA deal is minus 75
Canada deal is minus 256
No deal is minus 468.

Actually just saw this as well
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...l-brexit-outcomes-for-uk-say-eu-sources-rules