Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It started with a peoples vote with no plan, so let's finish it with a defined peoples vote:

Option 1: Revoke Article 50 and remain

Option 2: Brexit - May's deal

Option 3: Brexit - No deal

It doesn't devalue democracy, it simply confirms that the previous regime handled this extremely poorly, and passed it over to Theresa May who had no chance, irrespective of her political views and/or ability as a PM. Democracy for democracy's sake is ill-advised.
No way should 'no deal' be on a ballot. You don't hand suicidal people a loaded gun.

Really? I heard someone, some EU bod, say it. But maybe not someone with any authority.

I think a GE is seen as the first step in formulating a clear plan.

I cant imagine the EU booting the UK out while it is organising its GE to try and restore some order. I mean, I can see the temptation. But it is always going to come back to the fact they also get hurt. And Ireland, in particular, gets shafted. So they will take the excuse to give the UK more time.

Parliament can vote for a clear plan now, they don't need a GE

It started with a peoples vote with no plan, so let's finish it with a defined peoples vote:

It doesn't devalue democracy, it simply confirms that the previous regime handled this extremely poorly, and passed it over to Theresa May who had no chance, irrespective of her political views and/or ability as a PM. Democracy for democracy's sake is ill-advised.
Yes. But it would have to be a two part thing or the Brexit vote gets split and when they lose they say its not fair and we have to do it again.

The SNP are slimy cnuts. They argue for UK being part of the European Union whilst they actively pursue leaving our union. They’re a bunch of hypocritical cnuts.

They're part of the United Kingdom right now and they want to remain in the EU, so it's in their interest for the UK to remain in the EU. It's not remotely hypocritical for them to also want to leave the UK. All the more so now the UK seems determined to leave the EU, against their wishes.

What happens when none of the options get more than 50%?

If they want to do that, they may as well go with the Revoke A50 manifesto rather than a 2nd referendum one.

The opposing parties would just jump on that as being undemocratic as we voted to leave. At least by offering another vote they can say it is democratic because a lot of time has passed and new information is available etc.

The premise of No Deal has to be an option. Because ultimately, it's one of few actual possibilities.
It's not a viable alternative. If we exit with no deal, we'd still have to agree a deal similar to the Withdrawal Agreement (divorce bill, citizen's rights and Irish border) with the EU in the months following our exit, only now from the position of being in the middle of an economic disaster.

They're part of the United Kingdom right now and they want to remain in the EU, so it's in their interest for the UK to remain in the EU. It's not remotely hypocritical for them to also want to leave the UK. All the more so now the UK seems determined to leave the EU, against their wishes.
Particularly given a big argument used to encourage Scottish voters to vote to stay in the union during the Independence referendum was how it would be difficult for them to join the EU as an independent nation.

I don't think a general election is in anyone's interest right now. Except maybe the Tories.

Electoral fatigue.

Conservative majority if it happens.

A lot of people have sympathy for May (feeling she's between a rock and a hard place, being hard-done-to, etc. by petulant MPs)

From a Left/progressive/Labour POV, best to let the Tories front the shit-show of a No-Deal Brexit for a while.

In theory. But theyve shown they actually cant.

Or you think on Monday they can agree to something on the indicative votes thing?
BINO + 2nd referendum should just about get over the line

In theory. But theyve shown they actually cant.

Or you think on Monday they can agree to something on the indicative votes thing?
I honestly think they won't find anything on the indicative votes because MP's are completely split on what they want. It'll be more of the same, plus would they be able to bring back the same vote again? Wouldn't Bercow have something to say about that? If the house has rejected No Deal, Second Referendum, Revoking and Customs Union, then whats left to vote on?

No I don't but having a new parliament doesn't really change course for a new plan. Same old same old.
Oh I agree, I said as much a few minutes ago. But the EU will have to play along with the fantasy that it is a step towards a solution. There is no way if we say now we are going to have a GE that the EU say too late, time's up, youre out. It just wont happen. Even if they wanted to deep down they wont because it stiffs one of their members.

I honestly think they won't find anything on the indicative votes because MP's are completely split on what they want. It'll be more of the same, plus would they be able to bring back the same vote again? Wouldn't Bercow have something to say about that? If the house has rejected No Deal, Second Referendum, Revoking and Customs Union, then whats left to vote on?
Indicative votes is a 2 stage process

The problem is, if you have another referendum and leave wins again with a majority of 49 - 51, then MP's and remainers would complain again that it was too close and there needs to be a more decisive outcome, and calls for another vote would appear.

Plus, shouldn't a confirmatory vote be "Do you agree with this deal - Yes/No" not "Do you agree with this deal - Yes/Remain" thats not a confirmatory vote, is it?

A second vote would be decisive by way of it being a second vote. You can't just lay out some made up scenario to debunk a people's vote.

Surely the logical conclusion of not confirming an instruction is to cancel? This is the brexit we can deliver do you want it yes or no. Simple

Really? I heard someone, some EU bod, say it. But maybe not someone with any authority.

I cant imagine the EU booting the UK out while it is organising its GE to try and restore some order. I mean, I can see the temptation. But it is always going to come back to the fact they also get hurt. And Ireland, in particular, gets shafted. So they will take the excuse to give the UK more time.

No one is booting the UK out, the UK decided to leave and they are free to change their mind on that particular topic. EU member states have to take care of themselves and they can't really stay in the unknown forever. I mean what happens if there is a long extension and the next government has no clearer plan or majority?

The UK is lucky that Ireland exists, it's the only reason why the rest of Europe hasn't told your politician to do one. And I insist on politicians, the majority of british citizens are hostages of absolute weapons but they need to understand that it's the same situation for the rest of the EU, we are in a limbo for no good reason. If they want to leave just do that but if they don't want to leave or aren't not sure then cancel everything and we all move on.

A second vote would be decisive by way of it being a second vote. You can't just lay out some made up scenario to debunk a people's vote.

Surely the logical conclusion of not confirming an instruction is to cancel? This is the brexit we can deliver do you want it yes or no. Simple
This

The EU isn't booting us out and we can withdraw A50 at any time.

Indicative votes is a 2 stage process
So where do we go then on Monday they all get voted down again?

On Wednesday, didn't the Tories get a free vote, whilst Labour were whipped? I didn't follow it too closely as i'm frankly extremely bored of the whole thing now. It's like a group of toddlers arguing over what they want to play with!

No one is booting the UK out, the UK decided to leave and they are free to change their mind on that particular topic. EU member states have to take care of themselves and they can't really stay in the unknown forever. I mean what happens if there is a long extension and the next government has no clearer plan or majority?

The UK is lucky that Ireland exists, it's the only reason why the rest of Europe hasn't told your politician to do one. And I insist on politicians, the majority of british citizens are hostages of absolute weapons but they need to understand that it's the same situation for the rest of the EU, we are in a limbo for no good reason. If they want to leave just do that but if they don't want to leave or aren't not sure then cancel everything and we all move on.
Right. But Ireland does exist.

Anyway we wont have long to wait to see who is right.

Oh I agree, I said as much a few minutes ago. But the EU will have to play along with the fantasy that it is a step towards a solution. There is no way if we say now we are going to have a GE that the EU say too late, time's up, youre out. It just wont happen. Even if they wanted to deep down they wont because it stiffs one of their members.

It will go on forever, ten years down the line it will still be the same ,will the EU let it go on forever

It's totally hypocritical for them to campaign to stay in the EU on the basis that leaving would do damage to the Scottish economy etc when Scotland is more dependent on the UK internal market than the UK is with the EU economically.

So where do we go then on Monday they all get voted down again?

On Wednesday, didn't the Tories get a free vote, whilst Labour were whipped? I didn't follow it too closely as i'm frankly extremely bored of the whole thing now. It's like a group of toddlers arguing over what they want to play with!
I still think a soft Brexit & a public vote should get it over the line. We’ll see

0/11 !!

Imo, You should have a referendum with three options: No, soft or Hard Brexit. Or possibly just two: Hard and No Brexit.
Brexiteers campaign should be on how they would protect the union and the economy; Remainers on a possible new future relationship with the EU.

I still think a soft Brexit & a public vote should get it over the line. We’ll see
Maybe, but anything getting a majority in parliament still has to be an outside bet. It would probably bring down the government as well - enough ERG would likely back the opposition in a vote of no confidence.

Right. But Ireland does exist.

Anyway we wont have long to wait to see who is right.

And Ireland prepared for a no deal, that's the part that is missed, while the EU and Ireland will try everything to avoid it, they won't try forever. And there is no chance for me to be right since I haven't claimed a thing, I don't know what EU leaders will decide since they haven't officially talked about it yet, it will happen the 10th.

Problem is, i've read that upto 40 Labour MP's refuse to back a public vote because it goes against what their constituents voted for. They want to respect what was originally voted for, and will defy the whip/resign. Whether or not they actually do it when it comes down to it remains to be seen.

Maybe, but anything getting a majority in parliament still has to be an outside bet. It would probably bring down the government as well - enough ERG would likely back the opposition in a vote of no confidence.
That’s probably true. :(