Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Brexit has become almost fanatical (and I'm a firm remainiac so as bad the other way) - But people will look for reasons that CV-19 backs their opinion rather than allowing it to challenge it
With such a big majority brexiteers gonna brexit hard... i still blame corbyn obviously
Well you have to blame Cameron first, but I do think that if Labour had a Remain leadership instead of Corbyn and McDonnell then Brexit could have been defeated either at the polls or in parliament.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I disagree actually
I agree that before Covid-19 it seemed pretty much impossible to get it done by Xmas and that was going to be a very difficult political blame game which I think would have most likely resulted in an extension of some sort
Now... well actually its Covid 19 that caused the problems but it takes away the blame
Politically the brexiteer arm of the UK Government which is now basically most of the UK Government has an option that yes a hard brexit on top of Covid might cause some additional economic uncertainty but if there is a recovery (be that gradual or rapid) next year which seems likley after such an immediate economic shock as caused by CV-19 then you get to spin the recovery as being part of the hard brexit mantra - politically it lets you dodge the negative economic repercussion of a hard brexit (it was covid ... its a world wide recession) but claim the recovery - as well as additional political and economic freedoms to introduce tax havens and try and bring in external investment (also probably slash workers and environmental rights as well I guess)
I think it gives the people who wanted a hard brexit the political cover to do it so I think its more likely and quite realistic that that element of things is sorted by december ( though of course that simply starts another phase of what a future trading deal might look like)
I take your point, if the governments goal is to have 0 trade deal by end of the transition, and that is seen as ‘done and dusted’, then yes I agree. Which is an absolutely disgraceful stance for the government to take if it is.

By getting it done I mean have a trade deal which I am assuming is what we want, but I might be giving them too much credit.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I take your point, if the governments goal is to have 0 trade deal by end of the transition, and that is seen as ‘done and dusted’, then yes I agree. Which is an absolutely disgraceful stance for the government to take if it is.

By getting it done I mean have a trade deal which I am assuming is what we want, but I might be giving them too much credit.
We have gone from: we will have a deal like norway (in the EU debates)
To: It will be easiest deal in history (before we started negotiations)
To: No deal is better than a bad deal (at the start of negotiations)
To: Canada Plus being our objective (Boris)
To Australia style deal (WTF?)

so yeah the direction of travel is pretty clear I think and it points to a no deal by some other name (managed no deal etc and the only question will be what batshit crazy name they come up with next)

Berbasbullet

We have gone from: we will have a deal like norway (in the EU debates)
To: It will be easiest deal in history (before we started negotiations)
To: No deal is better than a bad deal (at the start of negotiations)
To: Canada Plus being our objective (Boris)
To Australia style deal (WTF?)

so yeah the direction of travel is pretty clear I think and it points to a no deal by some other name (managed no deal etc and the only question will be what batshit crazy name they come up with next)
Hmm can’t really argue with this, to conclude, yes I am giving the government too much credit.

NinjaFletch

Where are all the Leavers when you need them? Taking back control and all that.

I can't pretend I know a lot about this issue, but I've always been led to believe the issue here is that the UK consumer wants to pay feck all for fruit and veg (lowest prices in Europe is popping into my head) and farmers who therefore cannot afford to employ people on terms that are remotely attractive to people who live here even if they wanted to.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I can't pretend I know a lot about this issue, but I've always been led to believe the issue here is that the UK consumer wants to pay feck all for fruit and veg (lowest prices in Europe is popping into my head) and farmers who therefore cannot afford to employ people on terms that are remotely attractive to people who live here even if they wanted to.
I can't regularly afford to buy a six pack of Gala apples for £4.50 from Sainsburys nor a small cucumber for £2..50 My small shopping basket will be £30-£50 at the checkout before I've bought larger items. Of course consumers want cheaper products. And that means farmers having to pay pickers less money to pick as Brits were never going to do this. Ever. It's MAGA levels of incompetence from leave supporters that will eventually turn us into rabble. Unless the UK will now grant Bangladeshis and Angolans working visas to do these menial tasks.

Don't Kill Bill

British Growers Association.

BGA chief executive Jack Ward said he expected the ‘vast majority’ of seasonal workers this year will be British but that businesses cannot run ‘on enthusiasm alone’.

He said: ‘When you’re operating on the scale (that large food producers) are, you do need a few people around who know what they’re doing. ‘You just can’t run these businesses on enthusiasm alone.’ He said that, historically, a ‘significant proportion’ of pickers come from Eastern Europe and return year after year. ‘I think what that workforce provides is a bit of experience and know-how to mix in this year with the people who have never done this before,’ he said.

He added that crops are harvested 12 months of the year and the height of the season is from May to autumn. He said coronavirus restrictions could lift before the end of the season. ‘What we’ve got to be a little bit aware of is that when we get to, let’s say, July and we’re still absolutely flat out in the fresh produce industry, how many of the people who have volunteered have then returned to their original jobs,’ said Mr Ward. ‘I think what some farms are trying to do is balance what’s available today, what might be available in three months’ time or four months’ time, and the requirements of what is quite a long season. ‘I think they’re trying to cover every eventuality but I sense that this year the vast majority of seasonal workers will be from the UK. ‘The numbers you can get on a plane are almost insignificant compared with the total numbers that are needed.’ He said there had been a ‘terrific response’ to a campaign to recruit more British workers this year. ‘If anything we’ve been overwhelmed with offers of help,’ he said. ‘It’s been an amazing response.’ He said the asparagus season, which requires around 5,000 pickers across the UK, is just getting under way.

Agenda's and all that.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It's a good example or what a shit campaign so many Remainers ran. If crops are rotting in the fields and the shops are empty they will be proved right on this one, if not they'll have shot themselves in the foot, again.

Lentwood

I think what people forget is that in order to claim JSA, claimants have to prove they are looking for work. This includes proving they have completed a certain number of application forms.

Therefore statistics on how many applied are basically meaningless. They may have even been pointed in that direction by their local job centre. The key number is how many turned up for interview really.

Fingeredmouse

British Growers Association.

BGA chief executive Jack Ward said he expected the ‘vast majority’ of seasonal workers this year will be British but that businesses cannot run ‘on enthusiasm alone’.

He said: ‘When you’re operating on the scale (that large food producers) are, you do need a few people around who know what they’re doing. ‘You just can’t run these businesses on enthusiasm alone.’ He said that, historically, a ‘significant proportion’ of pickers come from Eastern Europe and return year after year. ‘I think what that workforce provides is a bit of experience and know-how to mix in this year with the people who have never done this before,’ he said.

He added that crops are harvested 12 months of the year and the height of the season is from May to autumn. He said coronavirus restrictions could lift before the end of the season. ‘What we’ve got to be a little bit aware of is that when we get to, let’s say, July and we’re still absolutely flat out in the fresh produce industry, how many of the people who have volunteered have then returned to their original jobs,’ said Mr Ward. ‘I think what some farms are trying to do is balance what’s available today, what might be available in three months’ time or four months’ time, and the requirements of what is quite a long season. ‘I think they’re trying to cover every eventuality but I sense that this year the vast majority of seasonal workers will be from the UK. ‘The numbers you can get on a plane are almost insignificant compared with the total numbers that are needed.’ He said there had been a ‘terrific response’ to a campaign to recruit more British workers this year. ‘If anything we’ve been overwhelmed with offers of help,’ he said. ‘It’s been an amazing response.’ He said the asparagus season, which requires around 5,000 pickers across the UK, is just getting under way.

Agenda's and all that.
To paraphrase what Mr. Ward is saying "We've had lots of offers of support from people who mean well but don't actually know what they're doing. We're also concerned that they'll just bugger off back to their actual jobs once the lockdown eases so it's not really a stable long term solution. Most of the workers will be UK nationals this year because we can't ship in as many people from abroad under current circumstances"

I'm not particularly sure that'd back either end of the agenda continuum terribly well. It is neither an effective long term solution nor veggigeddon.

Don't Kill Bill

To paraphrase what Mr. Ward is saying "We've had lots of offers of support from people who mean well but don't actually know what they're doing. We're also concerned that they'll just bugger off back to their actual jobs once the lockdown eases so it's not really a stable long term solution. Most of the workers will be UK nationals this year because we can't ship in as many people from abroad under current circumstances"

I'm not particularly sure that'd back either end of the agenda continuum terribly well. It is neither an effective long term solution nor veggigeddon.
Its not that easy to switch labour force I guess, things always being more complicated than they first appear. Also if you have people coming back year after year its a bit harsh to just feck them off this year because of Brexit.

That said, there are posts above which continue with the UK workers don't want the work even when they are unemployed trope. Which is also bullshit and ignores; facts about the interest shown and that according to the growers association most workers this year will be from the UK. I didn't see anyone else picking up these points in this thread.

Until then we await the apple-ocalypse.

Full bodied red

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
technically do we have to ask for the extension - or could europe ask for the extension...
i think the government might be prepared to help our european friends because their bureaucracy wont allow them to move as rapidly as we can towards a deal and whilst we are ready for a no deal they are unprepared and as their economy isnt as robust as ours they need us to protect them - just like we protected them 75 years ago... could see johnson spinning that

FireballXL5

Brexit: UK warns 'very little progress' made in EU trade talks

Same old bullshit....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52679053

Brexit: UK warns 'very little progress' made in EU trade talks

Same old bullshit....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52679053
to be fair we are in the middle of a pandemic! I wouldn’t be surprised if the transition period gets pushed out another 6 months, which would be understandable all round.

Abizzz

One would have thought a nation of shopkeepers could turn out some capable negotiators.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
technically do we have to ask for the extension - or could europe ask for the extension...
i think the government might be prepared to help our european friends because their bureaucracy wont allow them to move as rapidly as we can towards a deal and whilst we are ready for a no deal they are unprepared and as their economy isnt as robust as ours they need us to protect them - just like we protected them 75 years ago... could see johnson spinning that
It seems unlikely but in that event they would say something like that.

I'm more certain that the government wants a no deal and can blame covid 19 for the fallout.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Aaah.. now Prince Charles is calling upon the great British to help with the harvesting in agriculture due to the shortage in seasonal workers from abroad. I’m sure millions of Bexiteers are volunteering as I write this post...

RUCK4444

Aaah.. now Prince Charles is calling upon the great British to help with the harvesting in agriculture due to the shortage in seasonal workers from abroad. I’m sure millions of Bexiteers are volunteering as I write this post...
Not much chance of that, they will be too busy shouting at their family about how disgusted they are that Polish builders are laying their patio but wouldn’t pay extra for a ‘Brit’ to do it :lol:

‘But that’s none of my business’ (sips his tea)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If priti Patel gets her way she will be rounding up anybody on benefits and encouraging them to help (or loose benefits)

Berbasbullet

To be fair to Roger the question was peak remainer idiocy.
It will make things more difficult though, in terms of taking equipment abroad etc, but yeah obviously big bands will have very little issues as they will have people to deal with that.

My mate runs a filming company and whenever they have to go outside the EU it is apparently very frustrating with the forms they need to fill in, etc.