Brighton and Hove Albion 2023/24 season - The European adventure!

IrishRedDevil

The consolation goal they scored takes the edge off, but West Ham could have easily been 4 or 5 up before that.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Signed Baleba from Lille for £23M (according to the BBC). The next big thing in a year or two?

marktan

Very well run club with good scouting, but has to be said they do benefit from the multi club model which means they can farm out players to Belgium before integrating them into Brighton. Should be banned that, really. An unfair advantage that only a few teams have.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
City and Brighton are two clubs whose success is built on an undeniable leg-up from their ownership, nothing sustainable created their outcomes even though they're now cited as 'well run' based on the platform their investment gave them in the first place. I'm not saying that's the only factor - Moshiri has put a similar amount of money in at Everton and squandered the lot so it's easy to get wrong - but why is 'ambition' in football always linked to how much debt your owners are willing to underwrite? Do you think Luton are ambitious?
Moving this here as gone off topic in terms of De Zerbi but I'd argue Brighton are ambitious for a variety of reasons including building the new stadium, their recruitment system and sticking with Potter initially and the brand/identity of football which could have seen them relegated but ultimately worked out for them as it's now developed with De Zerbis help into arguably the best and most effective style in the league outside of Pep and Klopp.

I'd say Luton are/were ambitious yes, but are doing things in a sensible manner. You can be ambitious while being pragmatic.

Sometimes with Palace I don't really understand what the ambition is, because you have the talent in your squad as you noted but then don't replace the talent that leaves or don't have the succession planning in place to complement that talent and proposed ambition that the talent represents.

Al-T

First time in Europe and Brighton have learned quickly. Top of their group (which looked tricky at the outset) on the back of four wins and four clean sheets.

Congratulations to the Brighton fans that post here.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Marvellous scenes, absolute limbs in the North stand. One of the best nights at the Amex I can remember. And thanks for the congratulations above

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
How good is Billy Gilmour? Absolutely controlled the game, has been superb all season and for the back end of last season too. Fantastic footballer who improves every game.

We paid £8m for him - and got £165m in return for Caicedo and Cucurella. £195m including our third choice keeper Sanchez.

Chelsea can have him back for £75m+ add-ons. Potential to be an elite midfielder if he continues improving at this rate.

InfiniteBoredom

How good is Billy Gilmour? Absolutely controlled the game, has been superb all season and for the back end of last season too. Fantastic footballer who improves every game.

We paid £8m for him - and got £165m in return for Caicedo and Cucurella. £195m including our third choice keeper Sanchez.

Chelsea can have him back for £75m+ add-ons. Potential to be an elite midfielder if he continues improving at this rate.
Why sell him back if he proves to be good? You look to be finishing above Chelsea in the foreseeable future

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Why sell him back if he proves to be good? You look to be finishing above Chelsea in the foreseeable future
Because the aim is to be sustainable, it means we’ll always sell when the price is right at the player’s highest possible value; then reinvest a portion in the next prospects.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Very well run club with good scouting, but has to be said they do benefit from the multi club model which means they can farm out players to Belgium before integrating them into Brighton. Should be banned that, really. An unfair advantage that only a few teams have.
United did the same with Royal Antwerp for a while, John O'Shea played there as did Johnny Evans I think before they broke through into the first team. Also didn't you have a feeder deal with Fluminese, that's how you ended up with the Da Silva twins. No idea why you let any of the deals lapse.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Because the aim is to be sustainable, it means we’ll always sell when the price is right at the player’s highest possible value; then reinvest a portion in the next prospects.
I was wondering what happens with those huge fees if the replacement is always bought for much less - but then I remembered Brighton have huge debts, right? So I suppose those are being payed off?

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I was wondering what happens with those huge fees if the replacement is always bought for much less - but then I remembered Brighton have huge debts, right? So I suppose those are being payed off?
Kind of. All of our major debt is in the form of interest-free loans from our owner Tony Bloom.

The point is more that most clubs in the league (every club?) runs at an operating loss. We have 31,000 seats at the Amex, and selling every single one for every game, plus TV money, plus negligible income from merchandising/match days and so on doesn’t begin to cover our outgoings.

Wages, outgoing transfer fees, operating expenses are far in excess of revenue. The only way the club can stay financially stable is to sell player assets at their highest market value.

Things have improved with the European success, adding approximately £20-25m to our balance sheet, but even that is smal compared to one big sale per season.

Bloom isn’t taking money out, and is largely using profit to reinvest in the club.

After so many years of hell, we are in paradise with probably the best owner in the country. Lifelong Albion fan, loved by the supporters and single-handedly bought us our stadium and funded our run to the PL/Europe.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Kind of. All of our major debt is in the form of interest-free loans from our owner Tony Bloom.

The point is more that most clubs in the league (every club?) runs at an operating loss. We have 31,000 seats at the Amex, and selling every single one for every game, plus TV money, plus negligible income from merchandising/match days and so on doesn’t begin to cover our outgoings.

Wages, outgoing transfer fees, operating expenses are far in excess of revenue. The only way the club can stay financially stable is to sell player assets at their highest market value.

Things have improved with the European success, adding approximately £20-25m to our balance sheet, but even that is smal compared to one big sale per season.

Bloom isn’t taking money out, and is largely using profit to reinvest in the club.

After so many years of hell, we are in paradise with probably the best owner in the country. Lifelong Albion fan, loved by the supporters and single-handedly bought us our stadium and funded our run to the PL/Europe.
Oh, I didn't know that. It seems risky to run consistently at a loss; what if you have a poor year and no player gets sold for one of those very high fees? Or do Brighton have a buffer for that? And I suppose they slowly pay off that debt? Cause it's another thing that could turn sour eventually if it's just left there.

Sorry, I'm just curious how that works. I'm not trying to spoil your fun here, I can imagine these must be amazing times for a Brighton fan. :)

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Oh, I didn't know that. It seems risky to run consistently at a loss; what if you have a poor year and no player gets sold for one of those very high fees? Or do Brighton have a buffer for that? And I suppose they slowly pay off that debt? Cause it's another thing that could turn sour eventually if it's just left there.

Sorry, I'm just curious how that works. I'm not trying to spoil your fun here, I can imagine these must be amazing times for a Brighton fan. :)
Almost *every club* runs consistently at a loss - and yes, it’s always risky if clubs get over-ambitious or reckless. Just look at Leeds. If we have a poor year and don’t make big transfer income, we have a generous and savvy owner who has hedged against this with a modest spend - plus money in reserve from previous sales. We don’t buy £70m players, and have a wage bill which is commensurate with our finances. This is the key thing.

These are indeed amazing times!!! :)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Almost *every club* runs consistently at a loss - and yes, it’s always risky if clubs get over-ambitious or reckless. Just look at Leeds. If we have a poor year and don’t make big transfer income, we have a generous and savvy owner who has hedged against this with a modest spend - plus money in reserve from previous sales. We don’t buy £70m players, and have a wage bill which is commensurate with our finances. This is the key thing.

These are indeed amazing times!!! :)
Thanks for explaining. It sounds like a lot of clubs' finances are accidents waiting to happen then.

Anyway, thanks for explaining and good luck with the rest of the season!

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Thanks for explaining. It sounds like a lot of clubs' finances are accidents waiting to happen then.

Anyway, thanks for explaining and good luck with the rest of the season!
Thanks mate - you too and Merry Christmas!

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

Think the fact that players(and coaches) rarely perform at their previous levels after leaving Brighton speaks volumes about the structure in place. That being said, you'll start seeing a drop off in valuations if the current trend continues.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm just waiting for Enciso to return. I want to enjoy watching him play before he moves to City.