Bruno announced as new Manchester United captain

JediSith

Giving it to Bruno is looking like another mistake. That said, I could easily have given it casemiro, which would have been a mistake too. People said Varane, that would have been a mistake.
Martinez.. has the fight but isn’t petulant. Also a very good player. I think he’s the type of personality who will take on the responsibility and it might even elevate his game. Also, baring this current injury, I think last year he played most matches until near the end.

TheRedHearted

Didn’t seem like a good idea to me. I guess we are lack of options but the guy is too petty, I do admit I’ve seen a upswing in better behavior from him. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is why rashford is upset and moody

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I still stand by what I said last season. Luke Shaw and DDG should have been leading the team out, whilst Maguire was on the bench.

They were long serving and constant, quite noticeable they command a certain level of respect amongst their teammates and opposition alike. Being flamboyant is not a criteria for leadership, the appointment is not for a clergyman but a stalwart. Leaders carry a certain aura.

My biases against Bruno will never allow me to appreciate him as a club captain. You can’t be the captain of a team if your game is riddled with mistakes or have a tendency to go rogue/off script.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
One of the many stories that sums up current Manchester United. We passed up on him in the summer of 2020 when he was available cheaper as the scouts thought although productive he was very careless with the ball and lost it often in dangerous areas (which was correct), but then for whatever reason (desperation) we went ahead and signed for more money than he was available for in the summer.

In a shit show (a constant at United post Fergie) he did reasonably well initially though the stats looked more amazing than his performances because of the penalties. For anyone without red tinted specs, it was clear to see that his deficiencies will shine more once those pens dried up. He is very careless with the ball and constantly gives it away, even in dangerous areas.

He can't dribble, doesn't keep the ball when pressured and makes wrong decisions when under any amount of duress. He is petulant and childish on the field. Play acting, feigning injuries & acting frustrated on the field are not good qualities. He does have certain qualities - he can be good with his passing and vision at times, is a trier and is always available. Though, the overall package is not good enough for what you want in an orchestrator in the midfield at a top team. He is a typical mid level PL footballer who are good but not simply good enough to run a midfield at a top team.

For me he is a dollar store Rooney. And not the young Rooney, but the last couple of years Rooney (The "my captain shall always play" version) who could still produce moments of magic or decent stats, but it was clear to see that the team was going nowhere with him being the main man.

Though, in typical United fashion, we gave him an extension and a bumper new contract just before a new manager was to be brought in. In a more bizarre turn of events, that manager amazingly ended up giving him the captaincy. To a player who has no temperament for it. Goes missing in big games and acts childishly when things are not going his way.

I can't wait for the Saudi's to turn up for him. He'll be a hit in the Saudi League with his buddy Ronaldo.

Chicharo

This truly exemplifies our current situation. In the past, we had 5-6 players capable of taking on the role of team captain.
For me, it should be Lisandro, but that won't happen under ETH

ToToMarshall

Going through last season, when after the iffy start the mood was late geeky very positive, especially once Ronaldo had fecked off and during that really good form and winning the League Cup, he was the obvious choice. When things are bright and rosy Bruno takes on responsibility and carries himself well and looks and plays like a leader. There was no other choice to be made.

However. Now the proverbial is hitting the fan, his petulant childish tantrum-filled behaviour is really coming to the fore again, and is highlighted even more under the microscope of being Manchester United captain.

I don’t want him to be our captain, I don’t like the idea of him being our captain, I never have. I also think he was the correct (only) choice when that decision was made. Hun being captain is indicative of where our squad is and how rudderless we are, without a ‘proper’ leader.

Who else would/could it have been?

De Gea
I always thought the original plan was to offer him a new deal as a good will gesture, but sign a new first choice. He couldn’t have been captain for that alone, imagine Onana coming in with the pressure of not only replacing our keeper of 12 years, but that guy also being club captain and watching your every move from the bench.
He also never really struck me as captain material anyway, and he’s not here now so it’s not worth talking about anymore.

Shaw
I wouldn’t have hated it, he’s the current longest serving player now isn’t he? I’m not sure he’s an obvious captain, and as good as I think he is, he’s not spent a lot of his 9 seasons at United as a bonafide starter. He’s also injured a lot. If we were to change it now he’s probably who I’d pick, but I don’t think he could have been given it over the summer.

Maguire
ETH clearly wanted him gone in the summer, the captaincy had to be taken off him.

Varane
He’s won a lot, seen a lot, has buckets of experience, has worked with some great leaders and is clearly well respected. However, is he himself a natural leader? I’m not sure. He’s also never fit.

Martinez
I think he’s the next captain. Don’t think you could have given it to him after one season, especially when his English still isn’t great. I think there’s a leader and a captain in there, but it’s too early to give it to him now.

Casemiro
Similar to Varane. I think I see more of a leader in Casemiro, but he’s also older so not necessarily a long-term fix. He also can’t speak English. If you changed the captaincy now I wouldn’t hate him as a choice, but it’s not a perfect fix.

Rashford
I’m sure he’d love to be United captain, but I think giving it to him would split the fanbase even more than Bruno has. He blows so hot and cold already, and people (ridiculously) blame that on what he does away from football. I don’t hate the idea of him being a vice-captain and wearing the armband occasionally, but he can’t be captain.

Am I missing anyone? Nobody there has an argument big enough to warrant stripping Bruno of the captaincy 3 months in to the season. It’s not worth the upheaval, might as well park the conversation for now and come back to it in the summer.

Fitchett

Going through last season, when after the iffy start the mood was late geeky very positive, especially once Ronaldo had fecked off and during that really good form and winning the League Cup, he was the obvious choice. When things are bright and rosy Bruno takes on responsibility and carries himself well and looks and plays like a leader. There was no other choice to be made.

However. Now the proverbial is hitting the fan, his petulant childish tantrum-filled behaviour is really coming to the fore again, and is highlighted even more under the microscope of being Manchester United captain.

I don’t want him to be our captain, I don’t like the idea of him being our captain, I never have. I also think he was the correct (only) choice when that decision was made. Hun being captain is indicative of where our squad is and how rudderless we are, without a ‘proper’ leader.

Who else would/could it have been?

De Gea
I always thought the original plan was to offer him a new deal as a good will gesture, but sign a new first choice. He couldn’t have been captain for that alone, imagine Onana coming in with the pressure of not only replacing our keeper of 12 years, but that guy also being club captain and watching your every move from the bench.
He also never really struck me as captain material anyway, and he’s not here now so it’s not worth talking about anymore.

Shaw
I wouldn’t have hated it, he’s the current longest serving player now isn’t he? I’m not sure he’s an obvious captain, and as good as I think he is, he’s not spent a lot of his 9 seasons at United as a bonafide starter. He’s also injured a lot. If we were to change it now he’s probably who I’d pick, but I don’t think he could have been given it over the summer.

Maguire
ETH clearly wanted him gone in the summer, the captaincy had to be taken off him.

Varane
He’s won a lot, seen a lot, has buckets of experience, has worked with some great leaders and is clearly well respected. However, is he himself a natural leader? I’m not sure. He’s also never fit.

Martinez
I think he’s the next captain. Don’t think you could have given it to him after one season, especially when his English still isn’t great. I think there’s a leader and a captain in there, but it’s too early to give it to him now.

Casemiro
Similar to Varane. I think I see more of a leader in Casemiro, but he’s also older so not necessarily a long-term fix. He also can’t speak English. If you changed the captaincy now I wouldn’t hate him as a choice, but it’s not a perfect fix.

Rashford
I’m sure he’d love to be United captain, but I think giving it to him would split the fanbase even more than Bruno has. He blows so hot and cold already, and people (ridiculously) blame that on what he does away from football. I don’t hate the idea of him being a vice-captain and wearing the armband occasionally, but he can’t be captain.

Am I missing anyone? Nobody there has an argument big enough to warrant stripping Bruno of the captaincy 3 months in to the season. It’s not worth the upheaval, might as well park the conversation for now and come back to it in the summer.
Eriksen, or Sweden's captain Lindelof?

Blood Mage

He's not a great captain but was there a realistic alternative? At least he's fit for every game unlike Varane and Casemiro.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This captaincy issue is such a red herring. Does anyone really think that we'll suddenly turn into United of 15 years ago if we just change captain? :rolleyes: Honestly, I wish it was that simple. If it was I'd get Bruno a taxi out of Manchester myself.

Amira

Nothing to discuss here, has to be him. The fact that there's no viable alternative is such an indictment.

tomaldinho1

Nothing to discuss here, has to be him. The fact that there's no viable alternative is such an indictment.
This sums it up really. It's not that big a deal in honesty though, leaders will lead if they wear an armband or not - I always think you want a CB or CM as they will be able to be chatting with the ref a lot and see everything on the pitch. Would love it if ETH came out wearing it next game.

Red4ever27

Bruno being captain highlights the lack of natural leaders and strong characters within the squad, but this has been the case for many years now. It shows particular away from home against hostile atmospheres. I think we only took 1 point away last season against the other 9 teams in the top ten. We concede and our heads drop. I have to say one of the most disappointing signings in this respect is Varane. The guys experienced all, won it all. I was expecting a lion at the back, someone to organise the team from the back and scream at his midfield to position themselves. He doesn't seem to have any leadership qualities or the personality trait to captain us, and it's no wonder he was over looked.

Jeffthered

Should be either Shaw or Rashford. But there is no problem in rotating the armband until the right character emerges. Who is the City captain? It changes. Walker. KDB. Rodri. All have been captain.

If there is a natural leader, great. If not, they rotate it.

Our issue is that we lack players with character ( being petulant is childish, not a sign of commitment). I don't see any players who want to stand up for the club. And I don't think the players trust each other.

Needs a big turnaround.

Last edited:

davidmichael

Being to scared to drop Rashford because he’s the ‘face of the club’ and Fernandes because he’s captain will be the sword that ETH falls on and see him sacked, both players believe they’re indispensable and will always play regardless of how piss poor their form is and whilst I’ve been a fan of ETH for years it’s ultimately his doing for those choices as it’s his selection.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can there be no captain?
We could make someone like Jonny Evans the official club captain, and then say there's a bunch of "vice captains" and just rotate around Varane, Maguire, Fernandes etc. whenever they're playing and Evans isn't.

A convoluted way to take the official captaincy away from Fernandes?

Loon

:lol:
That’s total bollocks. Keane saved our arse and gets the team going countless times over countless situations, and was the heart beat of the team which dominate English football for many years, yet you just pick his worst disciplinary moment to compare with Bruno, who tends to disappear in every big game and every tough moment.
Pretty much agree. Keane was a leader of men and motivated his teammates with praise and kicks up the arse, etc. Robson was the same. Fernandes doesn’t have that strength of character.

spiriticon

He is a terrible captain but the best that we currently have.

I think that says a lot about the current level of leadership in the team. Rudderless.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I can agree that Bruno is not the ideal captain. But I also think that he is the best we have. Yes, Varane is a better fit but his injuries are a big issue.

AndySmith1990

It's a very poor reflection on our recruitment that the best leader we have in the squad is Bruno Fernandes, and before that Harry Maguire

redcucumber

Should be either Shaw or Rashford. But it should be on rotation until the right character emerges. Who is the City captain? It changes. Walker. KDB. Rodri. All have been captain.

If there is a natural leader, great. If not, them rotate it.

Our issue is that we lack players with character ( being petulant is childish, not a sign of commitment). I don't see any players who want to stand up for the club. And I don't think the players trust each other.

Needs a big turnaround.
Really? For me it'd be Shaw, and then one of Varane or Martinez.

ROFLUTION

Still think it was the right choice - Martinez injured, Varane injured, Rashford’s anonymous. Few other players play consistent. If Shaw wasnt injury-prone then maybe him, but you need a captain that plays and fights.

Roy Keane’s been wrong on many things before. He sees Bruno do something for one game and generalizes him imo. He’s hit a bad streak of form for sure but he has fire in his belly.

Smithy89

Best of a bad bunch, you'll find better leaders in our U21s and 18's.

A fully consistently fit Varane would be my choice.

gajender

There is no need to complicate and create further upheaval by officially taking captaincy away from Fernandes mid season that would be bonkers , just drop him like it was done with Maguire and try building a team without him period and Just move him on in Summer no exception.

Monmouthshire Red

Supports
Chester
We could make someone like Jonny Evans the official club captain, and then say there's a bunch of "vice captains" and just rotate around Varane, Maguire, Fernandes etc. whenever they're playing and Evans isn't.

A convoluted way to take the official captaincy away from Fernandes?
It doesn't really matter who the captain is, as long as there's leaders on the pitch. The captain thing is more ceremonial in football. It's not like cricket where the captain is effectively the in game manager. I think the Italian national team gives the captaincy to the most capped player or oldest player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It doesn't really matter who the captain is, as long as there's leaders on the pitch. The captain thing is more ceremonial in football. It's not like cricket where the captain is effectively the in game manager. I think the Italian national team gives the captaincy to the most capped player or oldest player.
To an extent -- the captain is (or at least should) be the only player on the football pitch for your team who is allowed a direct dialogue with the referee. It helps a little when your captain is more on the endearing, charismatic side than the whiny ratty side.

Jeffthered

I still say Rashford. It'll improve his game and develop his personality. He isn't a youth player anymore. And he stands for a lot about what is right about the club (but also is getting sucked into the more selfish, lack of care and respect that has crept in over the years). In many ways I don't blame him, as the likes of Pogba and Lindgard should have been better examples when he was coming through the ranks.

Give him the armband and tell him to tear into people and not feel obliged to keep everyone happy. Players will respect you as long as you perform, give 100% and are seen to be fair.

RedUnited86

I still say Rashford. It'll improve his game and develop his personality. He isn't a youth player anymore. And he stands for a lot about what is right about the club (but also is getting sucked into the more selfish, lack of care and respect that has crept in over the years). In many ways I don't blame him, as the likes of Pogba and Lindgard should have been better examples when he was coming through the ranks.

Give him the armband and tell him to tear into people and not feel obliged to keep everyone happy. Players will respect you as long as you perform, give 100% and are seen to be fair.
Jesus Christ this has got to be a piss take

padzilla

Hipster
Bruno's the captain in the absence of a credible alternative. The best of slim pickings. It's interesting the lack of success for United coincides with a lack of leaders on the pitch.

gajender

Bruno's the captain in the absence of a credible alternative. The best of slim pickings. It's interesting the lack of success for United coincides with a lack of leaders on the pitch.
They aren't simply good enough that's the main reason for lack of success on field , we had plenty of so called leaders on the field during Moyes reign but they couldn't stop things from unravelling .

Once the team would actually be good enough on talent and management front then Suddenly you'll find lot of leadership emerging as well .

ShoePolish

One of the first ones who lets frustration get the better of them. There was one moment in City game, where he jumped into Grealish going for second ball, and on replays you could see he literally gives 0 fecks about the ball and has his eyes fixed on player, thats not a one off moment I've seen from him, and kind of sums him up for me.
Sure, rattle some fecker up, liven up the game/crowd, but his antics seem pure petulance and frustration with games passing by.

Gordon Godot

So the guy who ambles around, cant be bothered to press and is woefully out of form should be captain? Is this satire?

Nickosaur

Laughable.

ShinjiNinja26

It’s funny looking back at the first few pages of this thread and comparing the reaction to the news of Bruno getting the captaincy to now. Talk about polar opposites. :lol:

UpWithRivers

No one would give a sht about his petulance of he did the rest of his job well. Like being one of the best players on the pitch. Rouse the team when we are down etc He does nothing that you expect from a leader. Maybe behind the scenes he organizes a cracking Christmas party but pitch side we see nothing

Jeffthered

So the guy who ambles around, cant be bothered to press and is woefully out of form should be captain? Is this satire?
A number of people have scoffed at the idea of Rashford having the armband, and I am a little surprised. The reason I think he should get it is because he currently ambles about, sulks etc... I clearly stated that captaincy will develop his personality. It will (or should) change his approach to his game, and get him to consider his role. Look at Bruno ffs....! And he is captain! It's made him worst!

I say give it to Rashford and use the captaincy challenge him to prove his doubters wrong.