Bruno announced as new Manchester United captain

Malone_Post

He’s absolutely fecking awful and has been for years. Puts in the occasional top performance then spends the next few months playing against us. Absolutely sick of him now.

Joke of a captain too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mainoo should take him under his wing and train him on retaining possession

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The soon to be 30 y.o is far from capable of being retrained. Old dog new tricks etc
Of course I jest. The truth is that both Bruno and Rashford our two of our biggest stars in terms of their stature within the club and they’re also players who will always be sloppy and technically lacking in the buildup phase barring the odd spell of great form. I think the new regime needs to take some bold decisions on these two. If not let them go then make sure we have great alternatives to keep on their bench when they’re not at their absolute best.

Woodzy

Had an average game and doesn’t come across well as a captain on the pitch but have to admit he spoke very well in his post-match interview. He did sound like a captain then to be fair.

Northstand

Had an average game and doesn’t come across well as a captain on the pitch but have to admit he spoke very well in his post-match interview. He did sound like a captain then to be fair.
Yes, he did in keeping Garnacho's feet on the ground and also in explaining why the penalty kick was taken by Rashford. He showed that he is captain more by example than by barking out orders!

Bruno wasn't good today but he still contributed to the second half goals and is still our most likely player to create something special.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Totally agree about how Bruno handled yesterday. Giving Rashford the penalty was risky but thought out while his praise for Garnacho's goal combined with his down to earth but realistic assessment of the rest his game was excellent. I'm not his greatest fan and think the Captain's role is overplayed in football but yesterday was one of the few occasions where a player got captaincy spot on.

jem

I've been critical of Bruno recently, but I was pretty happy with his performance yesterday, particularly as the game wore on.

Betson

Totally agree about how Bruno handled yesterday. Giving Rashford the penalty was risky but thought out while his praise for Garnacho's goal combined with his down to earth but realistic assessment of the rest his game was excellent. I'm not his greatest fan and think the Captain's role is overplayed in football but yesterday was one of the few occasions where a player got captaincy spot on.
I am a big Bruno fan and don't understand a lot of of the hate he gets on here at times , but I am in total disagreement on the penalty. It was not an exhibition match or testimonial , it is not the time to be messing around to give a player confidence , it could have gone very wrong and he would have been rightly be hung out to dry for it. We need to be ruthless in everything we do and that was an unnecessary risk yesterday.

Nick7

Rashford is a cracking penalty taker, in form or not. It wasn’t that big of a deal.

Marwood

I am a big Bruno fan and don't understand a lot of of the hate he gets on here at times , but I am in total disagreement on the penalty. It was not an exhibition match or testimonial , it is not the time to be messing around to give a player confidence , it could have gone very wrong and he would have been rightly be hung out to dry for it. We need to be ruthless in everything we do and that was an unnecessary risk yesterday.
Rashford's probably the best pen taker at the club. He's taken and scored pens with way more pressure.

It's not like Bruno decided to give it Dalot.

JeffFromHK

Rashford's probably the best pen taker at the club. He's taken and scored pens with way more pressure.

Rashford is a very good pen taker but Bruno is definitely better, looking at the conversion rate.

Betson

If he is the best penalty take then he should be taking them all the time , I have no issue with Rashford taking the penalties if he is the designated penalty taker.

But the reason for giving him yesterdays penalty is not something you would normally see at a serous club. Get the win first , worry about what way other players are felling afterwards.

It worked out well in the end as it was a good penalty and he scored it , but had he fluffed it it would have brought a lot of deserved criticism on Bruno.

Marwood

If he is the best penalty take then he should be taking them all the time , I have no issue with Rashford taking the penalties if he is the designated penalty taker.

But the reason for giving him yesterdays penalty is not something you would normally see at a serous club. Get the win first , worry about what way other players are felling afterwards.

It worked out well in the end as it was a good penalty and he scored it , but had he fluffed it it would have brought a lot of deserved criticism on Bruno.
But Rashford probably is the best pen taker. So where's the risk?

Patchbeard

They're both great at penalties as established in another thread. Both have close to 90% success rate for in game penalties (91% Bruno, 89% Rashford), so it's a bit of a non discussion. Only if one of them starts to miss regularly would it become imperative the one of them is the primary taker.

On the Bruno is a captain topic, it's a shame he isn't just slightly less temperamental both in terms of his footballing output and his mentality. He's almost a great captain and almost a world class player, but his fiery temperament (which can be an asset as a captain if fueled like Keane was) is just unfortunately a bit too much on the selfish petulant side of things to be useful for a captain. When Keane was fuming he would aim it at the opposition and protect his team mates, whereas although Bruno says the right things post match sometimes what he does on the pitch when things are going badly is to the detriment of the team.

But unfortunately we don't really have anyone of true captain material at the moment, so I can see why Ten Hag has chosen him. It was a hindrance to Maguire, who also has some good captain traits but is lacking in others. Likewise Casemiro or Varane could be good choices if they weren't so injury prone and probably past their best (and also not sure how good their English is). Beyond that I struggle to think of any other candidates. McTominay if he was a better footballer. Shaw if he wasn't always injured and not quite as mentally challenged. We really do have a squad that needs a captain!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
They're both great at penalties as established in another thread. Both have close to 90% success rate for in game penalties (91% Bruno, 89% Rashford), so it's a bit of a non discussion. Only if one of them starts to miss regularly would it become imperative the one of them is the primary taker.
Yeah exactly, which is why it's a totally non-issue.

As for the other part, as much as I agree it's a bit annoying he's so temperamental on the field, that's only one part of the captain's job, the most visible for us and important of course, but there's so many other aspects to it in the day to day life of the team, and while we don't have direct insight into it, you should give a listen to Andy Mitten's comments on this, who has sounded out several people in and around the club who are all glowing in their apraisal of Bruno as the captain.

Atheist

Atleast he won’t be around for the Liverpool to play those atrocious Hollywood passes.

binary bot
Was like his greatest hits today:
  • Terrible Hollywood pass for their first goal
  • Feigning injury from a very good tackle while they're on the counter.
  • Building a bit of pressure at the start of the second half, quickly relieved by Bruno punting it out of play with an attempted pass.
  • Feigning injury during an attack from a tap in the face.
  • Yellow card to get banned for the next game

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
No wonder we are fecked if he is the best we can come up with to lead us onto the pitch.

MDFC Manager

Sack him from captaincy asap.

First goal came from his predictable stupidity. All downhill from there.

fallengt

He did it on purpose, didnt he?
Anyway, it wont matter. Have a weekend off, our beloved "captain"

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Of course he did. Proof if ever was needed that he is selfish and would happily have us lose as long as he gets his stats.

Someone

Something
Of course. It was always going to be a yellow and he knew he's one away from missing the game where he completely shat his pants last season. A complete clown.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How chaotic style of player is a big problem. We aren’t challenging for any top trophies with him.

Heinzesight

Always loved him, his attitude, desire, etc even though I totally see his failings and why he’s one of the reasons we can’t control games. But today, getting that booking for dissent, not a mistimed tackle or a foul for stopping a counter…he can feck off. Heart of a mouse. Scared of Anfield.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'd honestly strip him of the armband and return it to Maguire for that cowardly move. How the feck is this loser leading us?

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
As I said it.. 6 months ago.

Either ETH leaves or Bruno leaves. Both won't be at United in 12 months. True to my prediction.
ETH refused to make the hardest decision of binning Bruno off. We need a strong manager to do that.