Bruno announced as new Manchester United captain

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Interesting you quote Martial instead of Rashford.

De Bruyne having played approx 10 games less than Bruno.
I gave City’s #9 and CF and United’s #9 and CF. I could have also given Weghorst as another option, he played CF a lot more occasions than Rashford.

FYI, I don’t believe Bruno is at the level of De Bruyne, I’m just making the point that one plays in a free scoring team with the best CF in the world, and the other plays in a team that barely averaged more than 1.5goals/games and has Martial and Weghorst as their CF last season.

Wilt

I gave City’s #9 and CF and United’s #9 and CF. I could have also given Weghorst as another option, he played CF a lot more occasions than Rashford.

FYI, I don’t believe Bruno is at the level of De Bruyne, I’m just making the point that one plays in a free scoring team with the best CF in the world, and the other plays in a team that barely averaged more than 1.5goals/games and has Martial and Weghorst as their CF last season.
Think we can agree De Bruyne is in a class of his own.
Agreed, sympathies to any team with Martial and Weghorst as their CF.

sugar_kane

He doesn’t look like he even slightly enjoys being a footballer these days which is concerning since Ten Hag has bet the house on him.

Skills

Snitch
Captaincy has been a hindrance rather than a help for a long time. Longest tenured player should be captain game to game - should be the club policy, so managers don't keep making a mess of it

Kinky Melinky

Bruno as captain is quite bizarre. I felt that way when he was installed as captain. I think he lacks the emotional maturity required. He throws stroppers and doesn't lead by example. It has happened on numerous occasions at this point. I've spent the past 10 minutes trying to think who out of our group of players could be captain, but I'm really struggling here. Varane maybe? God it's just grim

sugar_kane

Bruno as captain is quite bizarre. I felt that way when he was installed as captain. I think he lacks the emotional maturity required. He throws stroppers and doesn't lead by example. It has happened on numerous occasions at this point. I've spent the past 10 minutes trying to think who out of our group of players could be captain, but I'm really struggling here. Varane maybe? God it's just grim
Maguire might be a good shout?

Yorke to Cole

I am getting over a virus and misread the title by flash reading it.

I thought it said "Bruno announced as new Manchester United manager."

:lol::lol:

m1tch

Giving it to Bruno is looking like another mistake. That said, I could easily have given it casemiro, which would have been a mistake too. People said Varane, that would have been a mistake.

gaffs

Keane is right. Bruno is not captain material. I'm not seeing any signs that his attitude has changed since last year. Same old petulance.

Should have gone to Shaw. One of the longest serving players and one of the team members who comes out and tells us how it is in interviews. Shame he has been out for so long this year.

It is a sad indictment on our squad that we have so very few leaders.

He cant be stripped of the captaincy now though. It creates another problem and potentially alienates one of our best players.

What a mess.

RuudTom83

It is quite amazing to think there are so few candidates for the armband.

If not Bruno then your minds jumps to Varane/Casemiro but both are on the decline performance wise and will need replacing in the starting eleven soon.

Then it is the likes of Shaw/Rashford. Which doesn't sound right.

I'm aware the role of captain gets over-exaggerated but purely on the topic of captains United have none.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm looking at the team and we have no one else that I'd be comfortable wearing the armband. Shaw? Goes through spells were he can't be arsed. Same goes for Rashford. Casemiro is going to the scrapheap soon, as will Varane. Martinez was poor before his injury. Lindelof makes me want to cry. Maguire was a divisive figure. Dalot shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot. Antony is a bigger moaning tit than Fernandes. Onana has first class mentality but in the modern game where only captains are meant to engage with the ref I don't think he would be the right choice (I know the ref thing doesn't happen but apparently it should).

In a couple of years, provided he improves, then maybe Højlund. But right now we're fecked when it comes to captain material.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'm looking at the team and we have no one else that I'd be comfortable wearing the armband. Shaw? Goes through spells were he can't be arsed. Same goes for Rashford. Casemiro is going to the scrapheap soon, as will Varane. Martinez was poor before his injury. Lindelof makes me want to cry. Maguire was a divisive figure. Dalot shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot. Antony is a bigger moaning tit than Fernandes. Onana has first class mentality but in the modern game where only captains are meant to engage with the ref I don't think he would be the right choice (I know the ref thing doesn't happen but apparently it should).

In a couple of years, provided he improves, then maybe Højlund. But right now we're fecked when it comes to captain material.
Nowhere near as poor as Bruno, who hasn’t had a good three months since he first signed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nowhere near as poor as Bruno, who hasn’t had a good three months since he first signed.
True, but now I'm so wary of everyone right now that until he's back and proving me wrong I'm worried his form last season was a one off...

Marwood

Guys who cares? It makes no difference to the team. The only difference it might make is to the individual with the armband.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
True, but now I'm so wary of everyone right now that until he's back and proving me wrong I'm worried his form last season was a one off...
Fair enough. I’m confident with Martinez. His mentality makes me believe as well as his ability.

Joel Miller

He really is a dreadful choice for captain. He’s far too emotionally volatile and petulant for it.

Fitchett

Eriksen for captain? No one has mentioned him yet. Experienced international, intelligent player, plays in midfield, speaks good English, calm personality.

Sweet Square

In what way? I think Roy Keane the player was everything that Roy Keane the pundit would want to see from a player.
Keane got sent off in a Manchester derby for a revenge tackle. Before a FA Cup final Fergie had to bail him out of jail after he was arrested on a night out. And he was always bitching and moaning at his players.

Keane is my favourite United player but in terms of personality him and Bruno are very similar. It’s a style of captaincy when winning looks great but when losing looks terrible.

Bwuk

It’s Bruno by default.

Is he a brilliant captain? Probably not no.

But who else in the side is there?

RedDevil@84

:lol::lol:
Martial would injure himself putting the armband on.
Shaw isn't even available for putting the armband on. The only alternative to Bruno is another team regular, so someone like Rashford or Casemiro maybe. Doesn't sound particularly appealing.

Godfather

Varane would have been the obvious choice but he's made of glass. Bit tragic but very telling that we don't have any captain material within our squad. Non that can stay fit.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Varane would have been the obvious choice but he's made of glass. Bit tragic but very telling that we don't have any captain material within our squad. Non that can stay fit.
Martinez? That's the only one who stands out to me, and it's not even because he screams "leader" or anything but he has a good mentality and isn't full of Bruno's histrionics.

Unfortunately, he may be becoming a crock.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Martinez was poor though because ge clearly hadn’t recovered fully, hence a reoccurrence of that issue

vivaronaldo

bruno is becoming a huge issue imo ....wanted his mate cr7 gone as he wasnt happy having to share the limelight and has barely done much since other than flapping his arms looking for free kicks

RedDevil@84

bruno is becoming a huge issue imo ....wanted his mate cr7 gone as he wasnt happy having to share the limelight and has barely done much since other than flapping his arms looking for free kicks
Classic talking out of one's ass post

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
WTF :lol:

There are a lot of issues with Bruno being captain (or just him as a player really), but being selfish in that way and wanting players out so he can take the spotlight certainly isn't one of them.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Keane got sent off in a Manchester derby for a revenge tackle. Before a FA Cup final Fergie had to bail him out of jail after he was arrested on a night out. And he was always bitching and moaning at his players.

Keane is my favourite United player but in terms of personality him and Bruno are very similar. It’s a style of captaincy when winning looks great but when losing looks terrible.
That’s total bollocks. Keane saved our arse and gets the team going countless times over countless situations, and was the heart beat of the team which dominate English football for many years, yet you just pick his worst disciplinary moment to compare with Bruno, who tends to disappear in every big game and every tough moment.