g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

zaafi

Or to say it even more striking: Bruno ranks first or equal first amongst for the current 9th best team of the league. Well worth a tweet. And a few of his supporters will feel confirmed in their takes...

The only thing this guy is good at is showing that stats alone don't mean objectivity - they can paint many pictures.

edit: this guy = Statman Dave
It's actually incredible how he continues to post them. It's like he's completely satisfied with the way we play, and our table standings and performances are irrelevant.

I can just picture him making something similar for McTominay after a 0-3 loss to Luton Town

"79% passing accuracy
1 aerial duel won
1 interception
0.5 tackles won
2 ground duels won

Commanding midfield performance (insert fire emoji)"

You'd have a bunch on here creaming their pants at the sight of that tweet.

NZT-One

Invisible again
: ) Nice to see the team do well without him. He needs a rest from time to time.

NoPace

Going to play a lot of right mid/wing this season I think. Mount (backed up by Hannibal) in front of Casemiro and Amrabat then Bruno on the right, Rashford and Garnacho competing out left and Martial and Hojlund competing up top until Martial gets hurt again.

stoinz

Going to play a lot of right mid/wing this season I think. Mount (backed up by Hannibal) in front of Casemiro and Amrabat then Bruno on the right, Rashford and Garnacho competing out left and Martial and Hojlund competing up top until Martial gets hurt again.
He is actually pretty good on the right. Much better option than putting Rashford there.

NoPace

He is actually pretty good on the right. Much better option than putting Rashford there.
Yeah, Bruno is good in either spot. He's better as a #10, but unless Antony comes back and plays well we just don't have a quality RW and our LW (Rashford especially but also Garnacho) is comfortable playing high up the pitch anyways as they're more goalscorers than say Ribery or Hazard types looking to get on the ball deeper and beat players and link up, so Bruno on the right even tucked in makes sense. He's also our best option to actually hit Hojlund with a low cross or through ball even if Antony is healthy.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
We played better without Mr Force A Chance.
I agree – we retained possession much better than we do when Bruno plays. I know it was only Palace, but we have been able to lose possession against any side we play – their quality is not the factor.

I think Bruno hampers our ability to play as a team. He is capable of outrageous moments of genius, but this often comes at the expense of us building attacking chances through our possession.Although he could sometimes keep it simpler, I don't actually mind his high-risk passes that don't come off, it is the low-risk passes thathe fails to complete that hurt us more.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I agree – we retained possession much better than we do when Bruno plays. I know it was only Palace, but we have been able to lose possession against any side we play – their quality is not the factor.

I think Bruno hampers our ability to play as a team. He is capable of outrageous moments of genius, but this often comes at the expense of us building attacking chances through our possession.Although he could sometimes keep it simpler, I don't actually mind his high-risk passes that don't come off, it is the low-risk passes thathe fails to complete that hurt us more.
Hell of a stretch to claim that after one match against very weak opposition.

In February we played Nottingham Forest in the same competition. We won 2-0 and had 74% possession (vs 69% last night) Bruno played the full 90 minutes of that game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d certainly be looking to keep him on the right for a while. What I saw in the central areas yesterday wasn’t perfect, and I’m not getting carried away at all. We passed the ball and kept possession mainly around the back of the midfield and defence, as we often do - and I can’t deny that we still fell well below what I’d like in terms of knitting it together more at the front of the midfield.

That said, the control was total, and I feel Bruno can still add that creativity from the right and the team will be better for it, giving us the best of both worlds so to speak.

Lyng

Hell of a stretch to claim that after one match against very weak opposition.

In February we played Nottingham Forest in the same competition. We won 2-0 and had 74% possession (vs 69% last night) Bruno played the full 90 minutes of that game.
To play devils advocate for a second the usual argument of "we play horrible without him" is also pretty much only based on one game. :D

On a serious note though I agree with you, yesterdays match doesnt tell us much about Bruno. For me that was much more about the impact of Amrabat and the balance he adds to our midfield.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To play devils advocate for a second the usual argument of "we play horrible without him" is also pretty much only based on one game. :D

On a serious note though I agree with you, yesterdays match doesnt tell us much about Bruno. For me that was much more about the impact of Amrabat and the balance he adds to our midfield.
The whole better or worse without any top player debate is tricky because they tend to get rested when we’re playing poor opposition but also when we’re missing other top players too. That many variable and a small sample size makes it hard to draw any conclusions.

The one thing that has really stood out over the last few years is how much we improve when Bruno (and Rashford) come on off the bench on the rare occasion they don’t start. But even that is slightly skewed by them having fresh legs against tired defenders.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

The issue was in deep areas before, and that was fixed mainly due to amrabat but also Mount being relatively press resistant to help that as well. It is an issue when our midfield is Bruno and casemiro and then someone else like Eriksen, where everyone is just intent on playing a killer ball. Toss Mount and/or Amrabat in and suddenly you have some players who know how to slow the play down and recycle possession. Bruno is still absolutely vital and the key for us to actually be creative. Palace were tumescent last night, most teams will work harder than that (on the weekend it'll be a different game), but without Bruno, games like that can easily still turn into a 0-0 where we are slow to break down and lack the killer ball.

As Rozay says. Bruno on the right, Mount, Amrabat and Casemiro in the middle and we can see the best of both worlds where we are strong off the ball everywhere, but can keep possession in the middle, have midfield balance, but also have that creative threat throughout.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The issue was in deep areas before, and that was fixed mainly due to amrabat but also Mount being relatively press resistant to help that as well. It is an issue when our midfield is Bruno and casemiro and then someone else like Eriksen, where everyone is just intent on playing a killer ball. Toss Mount and/or Amrabat in and suddenly you have some players who know how to slow the play down and recycle possession. Bruno is still absolutely vital and the key for us to actually be creative. Palace were tumescent last night, most teams will work harder than that (on the weekend it'll be a different game), but without Bruno, games like that can easily still turn into a 0-0 where we are slow to break down and lack the killer ball.

As Rozay says. Bruno on the right, Mount, Amrabat and Casemiro in the middle and we can see the best of both worlds where we are strong off the ball everywhere, but can keep possession in the middle, have midfield balance, but also have that creative threat throughout.
Would be interesting to see how we fair like that.

Man Utd 0:1 Crystal Palace

zaafi

Useless. As in most games this season. Some nice switches here and there and a decent shot. Against Crystal fecking Palace. But Statman Dave will prove us all wrong with his cnuty stat tweets.

Sylar

Didn't see the whole game so want opinions of those who did
We know what he can do, but is he a problem for us dominating a game and doing whatever it is Eth wants?
Albeit a cup game (and their reserves) but it seemed like we saw a glimpse here and there v palace mid week.
A midfield of Hanibal, casemiro and mount looked better than whenever we've seen Bruno and mount forced together.

Again didn't see the whole match (mainly the second half where we just looked desperate with no plan) so thoughts?

Idxomer

Useless. As in most games this season. Some nice switches here and there and a decent shot. Against Crystal fecking Palace. But Statman Dave will prove us all wrong with his cnuty stat tweets.
96 touches
3 key passes
3 tackles
83% passing accuracy
3 corners
2 clearances

A dominant perofrmance.

PSV

Solid performance, not helped by the rest of our attack being absolutely clueless.

Still helps out a bit much in defense, but understandable when Casemiro is a card magnet.

NZT-One

I think, he didn't stick out much today. I noticed a very very good tackle close to our own byline which due to him didn't result in a corner. Other than that, he is what he is, always tries to speed it up, I think, the team isn't in sync at all... But don't think, he should be singled out today. You'd hope your best players to stick out but today there were many who didn't.
Really think, the armband helps him at all.

TsuWave

Think I cracked the formula - 3 or 4 bad games, followed by a game with a goal and 2 assists, and then 3 or 4 bad games again

Idxomer

I think, he didn't stick out much today. I noticed a very very good tackle close to our own byline which due to him didn't result in a corner. Other than that, he is what he is, always tries to speed it up, I think, the team isn't in sync at all... But don't think, he should be singled out today. You'd hope your best players to stick out but today there were many who didn't.
Really think, the armband helps him at all.
Does he? He's one of the main reasons we are so slow in the build-up phase.

NZT-One

Does he? He's one of the main reasons we are so slow in the build-up phase.
Yeah, I think you are right. I meant especially in the final third, where his first instinct is moving on the ball with the 2nd or 3rd touch in 8 out of 10 cases. I see your point though, when he is dropping deeper, he is sometimes overthinking it. I think, it doesn't hurt us too often though because in those situation, there isn't much momentum to die from him. Plus the criticism is valid for many players. The buildup looks a big problem to me these days. I'd really like to know, why the Cup game looked so different. Whether thats more on CP not giving a feck or really the absense of Bruno and Rash...

Ludens the Red

Abomination of a captain. We were better midweek without him and Rashford and their personal show performances. Doesn’t play like a captain on any level. Whinges, sulks, makes bad decisions at critical moments: careless with the ball and runs around like a headless chicken. All the things you shouldn’t do as a captain. Another fantastic decision made by ETH

GMoore23

One of the most overrated players I've ever seen in my life.

I was one of the few who called this even when he was banging goals in every week at the beginning.

His all round game is subpar and he's sloppy at the fundamentals.

There's a reason no top club wanted him at Sporting Lisbon and he was offered to them all.

He wasn't even our top choice.
We could've signed him that summer but didn't rate him. We only signed him in January as a total panic buy.

Devil81

Rashford and Bruno are supposed to be our star players and yet both are the players making us weaker.

I've had enough of Bruno, he was fun for a while but he's a liability that we just can't carry anymore.

Idxomer

Yeah, I think you are right. I meant especially in the final third, where his first instinct is moving on the ball with the 2nd or 3rd touch in 8 out of 10 cases. I see your point though, when he is dropping deeper, he is sometimes overthinking it. I think, it doesn't hurt us too often though because in those situation, there isn't much momentum to die from him. Plus the criticism is valid for many players. The buildup looks a big problem to me these days. I'd really like to know, why the Cup game looked so different. Whether thats more on CP not giving a feck or really the absense of Bruno and Rash...
It was a bit of both.

The problem with Rashford and Bruno is they don't seem to care about the mundane parts of the game. It always feels like extra work with them when they don't have the space to shoot or play the final ball.

NZT-One

It was a bit of both.

The problem with Rashford and Bruno is they don't seem to care about the mundane parts of the game. It always feels like extra work with them when they don't have the space to shoot or play the final ball.
Definitely. Slight resemblence of the Pogba conundrum, who also had a reputation of being great in the difficult stuff once in three matches but a little subpar in the rest of those 270 minutes. Difficult no to loose hope for Rash and Bruno... You'd think, there should a place for both of them when the team is a functional unit, but looks like we are really far from that. And until we are, those two might even be a factor of making it harder for others. That being said, injuries are an issue for sure, disciplinary stuff as well. A few other players not really hitting the ground running. So feels a bit unfair to single them out but no doubt they are our most productive players and therefor have the most expectations on them

lost7

I actually don't think he had a bad game - he was just very average which is honestly better than most of his games.

It's sad to see but I think it's becoming clearer to everyone that his assists and goals can no longer hide the fact that he's a very limited player and we have not progressed one bit since we bough him almost 4 years ago

Dolf

Definitely. Slight resemblence of the Pogba conundrum, who also had a reputation of being great in the difficult stuff once in three matches but a little subpar in the rest of those 270 minutes. Difficult no to loose hope for Rash and Bruno... You'd think, there should a place for both of them when the team is a functional unit, but looks like we are really far from that. And until we are, those two might even be a factor of making it harder for others. That being said, injuries are an issue for sure, disciplinary stuff as well. A few other players not really hitting the ground running. So feels a bit unfair to single them out but no doubt they are our most productive players and therefor have the most expectations on them
I was thinking the same at half time. Bruno is great at making risky passes, which we would call 'Hollywood passes' in Pogba's time, and you can tell he just loves being on the edge of the box to score or assist. And when all that works out it looks like he is amazing and we're having a perfect game. The problem is when we can't get past the opponents midfield. Bruno offers very little in terms of building up from the back. In today's game we relied heavily on Dalot to get the ball forward because we just couldn't penetrate the midfield and we couldn't go left because Rashford didn't have a great game either.

We need way more balance in midfield and it's been a problem for years. Getting the ball from the centreback to the attackers and controlling the pace of the game is where we lack.

lex talionis

It’s safe to say that apart from barking at the referee that Bruno was invisible today. Still a quality footballer, but his inconsistency is maddening.