2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

saivet

I'd be happy with 3 years. He has another strong couple of years left in the tank. No way we should be offering any 29 year old a 5 year contract.
His contract is already to 2026 with an option to extend by a further year. His status in the squad hasn't really changed for him to be getting a pay rise either in my opinion. I can understand a pay rise and no extension if you've gone from rotation to starter or a key player but just doesn't seem to make sense from the club's perspective.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What's with this 'chances created' stat? Does this mean Bruno is probably wasted on us?
I think it should give our forwards serious food for thought. So many chances wasted.

lex talionis

Have you not been watching our games this season? ETH has wanted to play two pressing 8s/10s every game!
Bruno and Mason do not work well together at all, which might come as a surprise to Erik but not to most of us who were puzzled as to why we spent 60m on player doesn't complement Bruno in any way.

criticalanalysis

Bruno and Mason do not work well together at all, which might come as a surprise to Erik but not to most of us who were puzzled as to why we spent 60m on player doesn't complement Bruno in any way.
Don't disagree but as was inferred, ETH had been planning that since last summer and Mount was indeed bought to replace Fred. It's quite common knowledge.

NZT-One

Someone who is alleging that one of the top creative midfielders in one of the top leagues in the world could not possibly be aware where his teammate was.
Very creative. Doesn't change the fact, that you seemingly have no clue a) what criticize means because I haven't criticized him at all and b) you should remember that as long as you have nothing substantial to prove that Bruno knew where Mainoo was, then your take isn't better than any take around. Including mine.

I dunno, I think I might have called it early :cool:
He is surely pissed that now where he becomes 30 that he'll be the first player not to get a fat payday. I could understand him being frustrated, it was a long and proud tradition and an important cornerstone in our decline. First test for Ineos, lets see if they bow to such demands, if yes, I'm probably done with the club and step away from it.

NZT-One

Don't disagree but as was inferred, ETH had been planning that since last summer and Mount was indeed bought to replace Fred. It's quite common knowledge.
It isn't knowledge at all or was there any official statement or substantial hint I missed? An assumption doesn't become knowledge when enough people share the assumption. It is one of the most plausible explanations for adding Mount but the way we play now (or we try to play now), Fred would have been ideal for it. Also DVB should be ideal for it - that makes two players who could have been given a shot before bringing in Mount for a dumb price at the dumb point in time.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Best player at the club by a distance. That little flick on to leave Mainoo in for first goal was class, he’s immensely creative and energetic. Great guy.

van Nistelrooy

Bruno doesn't want to leave and nor should we be looking to sell him.

I've no doubt that he wants a new contract, but with the option of an extension, he's tied own here until 2027. There's no need for us to rush out and offer him further years now.

Bruno should be matching the highest earners at the club, but hopefully INEOS will never allow another wage in the same park as Varane, Casemiro and Rashford. If Bruno is demanding more money then he can go, but I think he will be satisfied with the contract he's on once we clear the overpaid players.

mikeyt

I think it's brilliant that the club aren't offering Bruno or any other so called irritated senior players new deals, none of them deserve them and INEOS clearly think a load don't deserve their current deals. Bruno has three years left so unless he wants to take a pay cut he should stop talking contracts and start playing more consistently.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I need more context to judge what's going on here.
Nothing is really going on, if they got it from opta then its key passes(last pass that leads to a shot without scoring) plus assists. We have an xG of 55.1 and we scored 55 goals, those key passes are low quality.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nothing is really going on, if they got it from opta then its key passes(last pass that leads to a shot without scoring) plus assists. We have an xG of 55.1 and we scored 55 goals, those key passes are low quality.
Why do you think that is a reflection on the quality of those passes and not the quality our finishing?

Not to mention that our xG (and goals) would be a lot higher if we had more players than Bruno chipping in regularly with those key passes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why do you think that is a reflection on the quality of those passes and not the quality our finishing?

Not to mention that our xG (and goals) would be a lot higher if we had more players than Bruno chipping in regularly with those key passes.
Because xG is a reflection of finishing?

criticalanalysis

It isn't knowledge at all or was there any official statement or substantial hint I missed? An assumption doesn't become knowledge when enough people share the assumption. It is one of the most plausible explanations for adding Mount but the way we play now (or we try to play now), Fred would have been ideal for it. Also DVB should be ideal for it - that makes two players who could have been given a shot before bringing in Mount for a dumb price at the dumb point in time.
If you want a direct quote or something to that ilk then I don't have the receipts and my memory is pretty hazy but I'm sure I've based it upon the following:

Things ETH has said (whether that was during the summer or this current season), media articles suggesting internal discussions about the way we wanted to improve things or change since last season and then also the fact of how we have played when Mount has been in the team or even when not.

Btw I'm not disagreeing at all about the transfer of Mount. During the summer, I went as far to say that it would be the biggest red flag of ETH for me (even over the 7-0).

:lol:

lex talionis

Another poster replied to this point but I'm not sure it was common knowledge at the time that Mount was seen as a straight replacement for Fred nor do I event trust that analysis. In effect yes of course Fred was told to leave and Mount brought in so it's a straight swap in that sense, but they are quite different players. Fred was a tenacious ball-winner who lacked finesse with the ball, whereas Mount has finesse with the ball but in no way a ball-winner. Mount is a like-for-like attacking midfielder that replicates Bruno's strengths rather than complements Bruno's strengths. That's at least the observation that I hold.

Remember the geese

Another poster replied to this point but I'm not sure it was common knowledge at the time that Mount was seen as a straight replacement for Fred nor do I event trust that analysis. In effect yes of course Fred was told to leave and Mount brought in so it's a straight swap in that sense, but they are quite different players. Fred was a tenacious ball-winner who lacked finesse with the ball, whereas Mount has finesse with the ball but in no way a ball-winner. Mount is a like-for-like attacking midfielder that replicates Bruno's strengths rather than complements Bruno's strengths. That's at least the observation that I hold.
I also believed that Mount was signed to be a better version of Fred. The hard working off the ball stuff that Fred provided, plus better quality on the ball. That was the plan anyway.

lex talionis

I also believed that Mount was signed to be a better version of Fred. The hard working off the ball stuff that Fred provided, plus better quality on the ball. That was the plan anyway.
I'll have to trust you that that was the plan, but what a daft train of thought if that was the case. Mount just isn't a better version of Fred -- he's a completely different kind of midfielder. You send Fred into the minefield and take one for the team and fukk things up for the opponent who are trying to score goals on you, whereas you send Mount into the breach to create things, such as goals.

Pscholes18

Bruno doesn't want to leave and nor should we be looking to sell him.

I've no doubt that he wants a new contract, but with the option of an extension, he's tied own here until 2027. There's no need for us to rush out and offer him further years now.

Bruno should be matching the highest earners at the club, but hopefully INEOS will never allow another wage in the same park as Varane, Casemiro and Rashford. If Bruno is demanding more money then he can go, but I think he will be satisfied with the contract he's on once we clear the overpaid players.
Sorry, he isn't worth 350k a week. He's a good player and stands out as our best because of the shower of shite around him. If a club came in tomorrow offering 80/90 mil, INEOS would be dumb not to take it. Again, people on here acting like the foundations of Utd would crumble if he left. It wasn't all that long ago he was also a shower of shite, constantly giving the ball away, screaming at players for mistakes he made, losing the ball more often and not.....only recently has he really upped his game and has scored some great goals. Will never judge his work rate, but lets not go overboard with the guy,.

criticalanalysis

I mean I think we're splitting hairs here now. We didn't spend £50m+ and a significant chunk of our budget on Mount early in the summer to play as a rotation squad member or second fiddle to Casemiro or Bruno i.e he was always going to start with them and he did. We were linked with other midfielders like Rabiot and eventually got Amrabat very late in the transfer window but by all means, after getting Hojlund, there simply wasn't enough money to get another bonafide first team midfielder. Not that it would made sense anyways because why would you create a problem with Mount, Casemiro and Bruno with another expensive midfielder when there were other areas to address?

Again I don't disagree with your comments about the differences between Fred and Mount, loads of us saw the issue and complained massively in the transfer thread. I guess if you want to me say 'yes I don't know 100% that ETH wanted to replace Fred for Mount', then there you have it but we have a lot of evidence to make informed assumptions otherwise if you want to be pedantic over it.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
The fact ETH like to mess with his positioning around the pitch is a crime against humanity. More often than not this season he is asked to go deep or anywhere else on the pitch other than behind our attackers and facing opponent goal.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
You make it sound like we have cohesive team but somehow one or two players are disrupting it.
He sounds like he tried to support City but got off the wrong bus. The ludicrous posts advocating the sale of Bruno could be put beside the clowns hoping to see the club bought by an oil state. 50% percent polyester, and that’s a generous estimate. Still good to see some real supporters with love and appreciation for the remarkable talent that leads the team.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He was intended to succeed Fred, not Fernandes.
100% and he’s better on the ball. Mount is an eventual upgrade but we missed Fred this season big time! to be fair Maguire and McT stepped up on the way out…. Fred is my boy though, so misunderstood. He deserved better, there was no better Bruno foil. He would also have at least got stuck in when things were falling apart this season.

OldTrevil

I enjoyed his performance against Newcastle, it didn't involve countless spammed balls to nowhere or trying to force things. If that sort of performance becomes his regular then we're talking. I've always thought that a Bruno restrained from hero ball could be a great player. In general his form this season has seen an upturn since around end of March if I remember correctly, before that it had been absolutely horrendous for months.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'll have to trust you that that was the plan, but what a daft train of thought if that was the case. Mount just isn't a better version of Fred -- he's a completely different kind of midfielder. You send Fred into the minefield and take one for the team and fukk things up for the opponent who are trying to score goals on you, whereas you send Mount into the breach to create things, such as goals.
He’s a different type of player yes but ETH is under the impression that Mount is a better presser up front and would win the ball higher up the pitch.

I don’t mind Mount as a player, I really don’t but we overpaid and it’s a random player who doesn’t help having a balanced squad, especially when you get rid of Fred an all rounder.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Apparently there is a comment on X from Rashford saying it's been a pleasure to share a pitch with you so X is kicking off with the "Bruno leaving" rumours..

Yorkeontop

meonbottom

Kirk lazarus

Building around him is a terrible idea . It's where I feel we have been anyway .

Keep him , but he should not be the playmaker . That's who he is here , he gets the most touches , influences play more than any other . It makes it very difficult for us to play well when Bruno doesn't .

De bruyne is not the playmaker at city , he is a creative outlet , the playmaker at city is Rodri , he is the guy who makes them tick . Sets the tempo .De bruyne is the guy who can win a game .

That's how it should be , the playmaker , guy who dictates play needs to be an 8/10 player every week . If he isn't , the play will mirror his up and down performance . Exactly how ours does with Bruno .

He's the wrong player to build round

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Building around him is not ideal, it would just be us settling for a standard that's not quite good enough. There's actually no need to build the team around anyone, build a system and let players contribute to it.
I agree with your point on systems. But I disagree with your point on the bolded. If we have Bruno quality players in every position and on the bench we would be competing and winning the highest honors. He wouldn't look out of place in any squad in world football.

NZT-One

Laugh all you want but as far as I am aware of, it was this position that DVB played in the Ajax side that probably earned ETH the United job. Granted, he might have had a purple patch and it doesn't mean anything, but it is at least a little odd that he hasn't been given a shot at all.

I completely agree with you. If people wanted to replace Fred with Mount then my best guess is that those people didn't have any idea of what the positive thing was that Fred added to the team. It certainly wasn't on the ball stuff - it was is mobility, energy, workrate and willingness to get stuck in. No question that Mount is way better on the ball but apart from that... It has to be said, that it fits the picture of our team composition, not just decision makers, also a part of the fanbase. They are ready for the glass cannon approach - adding as many people to the team for their ability in attack or ability on the ball but failing to get the balance right for the moments where we have to actually win the ball or defend as a whole. McTominay as DM, McTominay as CM, Bruno as CM, Eriksen as CM... Doesn't make no sense. Now you see Mainoo and Amrabat who are at least average in those off the ball aspects and it is obvious how benefitial it is to the team overall. You can have prime Casemiro in there, it still wouldn't be enough to carry all the defensive load to have Mount and Bruno free to attack. Maybe if you have Kante in his prime, maybe. But probably not even that.

Apparently there is a comment on X from Rashford saying it's been a pleasure to share a pitch with you so X is kicking off with the "Bruno leaving" rumours..
I think this Rashford comment was in the context of Bruno celebrating a certain number of appearances or something. So the notion of him leaving doesn't really hold up.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I agree with your point on systems. But I disagree with your point on the bolded. If we have Bruno quality players in every position and on the bench we would be competing and winning the highest honors. He wouldn't look out of place in any squad in world football.
Yes, if we had better players, we'd be a better team. Lessening Bruno's influence and importance would be the net effect, and that's a good thing.

Last edited: