5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Aren't you a doctor? You want me to seek help because I don't rate a player in a football team and as a result, I reply to posters in this thread who disagree with me? Eeh..? Very odd behaviour from a doctor.

Why does it matter if I have over twice as many posts as the next poster? There are constantly posters like you that reply, so I reply back. What's the big deal? My posts aren't about how I hate Bruno, they're mostly replies to posters like you. In fact, half my posts on here aren't even about Bruno.

Tell me what's shite takes about what I post. Everything I post is shit according to you, just because my posts don't favour Bruno. I'd imagine my posts would be fantastic if I praised Bruno every game. If you can't see the legitimate concerns posters have regarding Bruno, then football isn't for you.

Let me ask you something. Why is it perfectly okay for you to dislike a player and have a lot of posts in his player performance thread, but for me it's not? You have done the exact same thing in the Pogba thread, so what's the difference?
Incorrect. Look up the Pogba performance threads and who posted the most in them. The information is all there, if you look for it.

gfactor86

For me, Bruno is our biggest problem. I have never seen a player more careless in possession. The reason we are so shite is because when we finally retain possession, he gives the ball away cheaply and then we are on the back foot again defending.

Statistically he gets a lot of assists, but if you attempt 20 through balls in a game and only 1 comes off then you are bound to pick up a few.

Would like to see Mount given a go in the Bruno role.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What does everyone reckon his ratio of good to poor/average games has been in his time here? One in ten? Maybe one in five, at most?

Considering he’s one of only a handful of players at a peak age, and presumably on one of the highest salaries that simply isn’t good enough, right

kirk buttercup

For me, Bruno is our biggest problem. I have never seen a player more careless in possession. The reason we are so shite is because when we finally retain possession, he gives the ball away cheaply and then we are on the back foot again defending.

Statistically he gets a lot of assists, but if you attempt 20 through balls in a game and only 1 comes off then you are bound to pick up a few.

I agree. I also think the amount of Possesion Rashford gives away is also an issue. I think we may be a better team without Bruno in it even though he offers moments of magic.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

That's why he was so good during Ole's time because we played fast football and we were taking more risks.
Imagine Bruno in LVG's team, he wouldn't make the bench.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

The same mason mount who has no goals and one assist, and does nothing every game?

flameinthesun

In the Maddison thread it was raised that the 3 biggest creators of goals over the last couple seasons are De Bruyne, Maddison and Bruno. Below is the pass success of all 3:

(Passing Stats in Premier League only from WhoScored)
Bruno: Current Season - 77%.... 22/23 - 77%....21/22 - 78%
Maddison: Current Season - 85%.... 22/23 - 79%....21/22 - 80%
De Bruyne: Current Season - 66% (1game)....22/23 - 80%....21/22 - 82.5%

Out of the 3 Bruno is worse in terms of pass succession. That most likely is because he tries to create more than KDB and JM, however I think what a lot of posters point out and what I think is that he is less disciplined than the others. His decision making for when to try a pass and when not I think is notably worse than the other 2. That is the difference between knowing when to keep the ball/possession and when to try a through ball. I also think that is why other big clubs did not take a punt on him because he is very chaotic with his play, which is great for creativity but not so much when you are trying to control a game. This gets highlighted even more when he plays deeper and his passing stats and poor decision making stands out even further.

To that point it is an area that I have raised before in terms of having both Rashford and Bruno in the team. Both are very chaotic/unreliable in their play from a possession perspective, both are capable of creating/scoring from nothing but not as good in terms of helping a team retain and smartly pressure a team. So for me the question always is will Bruno and Rashford's individual talents and chaotic play be enough to fire us to a league title/champions league or would that same chaotic style be enough to win a small trophy but not really allow us to challenge for the big ones. My view is increasingly more the latter.

ElCholo

Supports
Boca
Bruno is Russel Westbrook of football. Good invididual stats, but you won't win anything with him.
Reckless player IMHO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
In the Maddison thread it was raised that the 3 biggest creators of goals over the last couple seasons are De Bruyne, Maddison and Bruno. Below is the pass success of all 3:

(Passing Stats in Premier League only from WhoScored)
Bruno: Current Season - 77%.... 22/23 - 77%....21/22 - 78%
Maddison: Current Season - 85%.... 22/23 - 79%....21/22 - 80%
De Bruyne: Current Season - 66% (1game)....22/23 - 80%....21/22 - 82.5%

Out of the 3 Bruno is worse in terms of pass succession. That most likely is because he tries to create more than KDB and JM, however I think what a lot of posters point out and what I think is that he is less disciplined than the others. His decision making for when to try a pass and when not I think is notably worse than the other 2. That is the difference between knowing when to keep the ball/possession and when to try a through ball. I also think that is why other big clubs did not take a punt on him because he is very chaotic with his play, which is great for creativity but not so much when you are trying to control a game. This gets highlighted even more when he plays deeper and his passing stats and poor decision making stands out even further.

To that point it is an area that I have raised before in terms of having both Rashford and Bruno in the team. Both are very chaotic/unreliable in their play from a possession perspective, both are capable of creating/scoring from nothing but not as good in terms of helping a team retain and smartly pressure a team. So for me the question always is will Bruno and Rashford's individual talents and chaotic play be enough to fire us to a league title/champions league or would that same chaotic style be enough to win a small trophy but not really allow us to challenge for the big ones. My view is increasingly more the latter.
The stats you dug up don’t substantiate your argument at all. The opposite, if anything. They’re all very similar.

Guapa

He's supposed to be our talisman and he's just too inconsistent.Along with Rashford.Our two big names not cutting it and haven't for a while now and it sets the tone for the rest of the team.Time to move on from these types.

dubplate warrior

Rooney scored 45 and assisted 17 in 129 games (0,48 G+A/game) against the same big 5 as a forward for a much better United team.
You can compare Bruno a bit with Ziyech at Ajax. Criticised by many for being wasteful with his shooting and taking too much risk with his passing at times, but loved by most for his creative brilliance. Very often the best player on the pitch and one of the most important components in Ajax’ success while there.
Players like Bruno doesn’t come around very often and can be frustrating to watch when not clicking, but are so important with their extreme qualities in the end product department. As long as he works as hard as he does every time he’s on the pitch, you just have to give him the freedom to be creative and sometimes wasteful with the ball.
He's a net negative. So sick and tired of us giving the ball away and relying on Bruno playing a Hollywood pass over the top for a quick break.

Maybe it will all benefit us when the offside rule changes and effectively kills the high line. Stranger things have happened.

Xaviboy

I would like us to see Mount in midfied with Eriksen and Amrabat. Think we will have more control in possession in games and in build up.

Mount has energy to get up and down, Eriksen can play possession gamecand Amrabat looks tidy.

Bruno to erratic in his play. 1st half Sheff utd he was brutal, every pass he tried had to be 40 yards and gave it straight away. Doing it alot this season.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
@VivaObertan will show up on Thursday to tell us how insanely good he is and how match going fans praise him and chant his name as if that's somehow relevant.

Apparently he would thrive at Real Madrid, City and Barcelona.
Haven't posted in here for a while because as usual, you ignore facts whenever I take the time to respond and dig deeper into your weird hatred for our best player. (Meanwhile I was reading a Hojlund/Osimhen discussion where you made a typical zaafi post and somebody quickly called out 4 of the 6-ish points you made were factually incorrect, made me chuckle.)

Likewise, the guy ends the game with an assist, 5 key passes, 75% pass completion, 2nd most tackles, most interceptions, should've had 2 assists and hit the crossbar from a FK... and you're reacting like he's just put in a 2/10 stinker whilst the rest of our squad shines around him.

Anyway, will be supporting him and the rest of the team from OT tonight whilst you're sat on your phone, praying for a misplaced pass, so you can tell all your internet friends about how shit Bruno is. :drool:

dubplate warrior

I would like us to see Mount in midfied with Eriksen and Amrabat. Think we will have more control in possession in games and in build up.

Mount has energy to get up and down, Eriksen can play possession gamecand Amrabat looks tidy.

Bruno to erratic in his play. 1st half Sheff utd he was brutal, every pass he tried had to be 40 yards and gave it straight away. Doing it alot this season.
He's got previous for it too. Same with Marcus, can't forget that last season with Ole and how they seem to be doing exactly the same thing AGAIN.

zaafi

Haven't posted in here for a while because as usual, you ignore facts whenever I take the time to respond and dig deeper into your weird hatred for our best player. (Meanwhile I was reading a Hojlund/Osimhen discussion where you made a typical zaafi post and somebody quickly called out 4 of the 6-ish points you made were factually incorrect, made me chuckle.)

Likewise, the guy ends the game with an assist, 5 key passes, 75% pass completion, 2nd most tackles, most interceptions, should've had 2 assists and hit the crossbar from a FK... and you're reacting like he's just put in a 2/10 stinker whilst the rest of our squad shines around him.

Anyway, will be supporting him and the rest of the team from OT tonight whilst you're sat on your phone, praying for a misplaced pass, so you can tell all your internet friends about how shit Bruno is. :drool:
Okay, tell me what's factually incorrect in that post in the Osimhen thread. You don't even know what you're talking about, you're just assuming what the other poster said is correct because you want me to be wrong. Pathetic. Also, why do you constantly use stats to defend him? Are you not watching the games or something? Browse through the pages on here after his performance. You will not find a single poster who thought that was a good game, yet here you are saying he had a great game showing his stats.

By the way, "should've had 2 assists" made me laugh. He shouldn't even have had his first :lol:

Enjoy the match at Old Trafford.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@flameinthesun What would be useful (if possible) would be to see the areas of the pitch where Fernandes is giving the ball away, in contrast to De Bruyne and Maddison. My impression - particularly of KDB - is that he gives the ball away a lot more due to his crosses whereas I feel Fernandes is a lot more sloppier in general central areas of the field.

That could just be my confirmation bias of watching Fernandes every game and only really watching City and KDB on occasion, so would be nice to see if there's any sort of breakdown!

The_Midfielder

Eriksen is done.. he can only play 10 mins a game

neon_badger

He's supposed to be our talisman and he's just too inconsistent.Along with Rashford.Our two big names not cutting it and haven't for a while now and it sets the tone for the rest of the team.Time to move on from these types.
Completely agree, if we think back to the end of Ole's time and the brief Rangnick era lots of us were done with pretty much every player, they were simply not good enough, mentally weak and inconsistent. Ten Hag came along and managed to briefly elevate some players but I felt there was an elephant in the room, that thing that made them give up under previous managers, that weaknesses, that inability to maintain form doesn't just permanently go away, it's like a reoccurring injury, it was always going to return. Bruno embodies this. It's holding us back.

Idxomer

@flameinthesun What would be useful (if possible) would be to see the areas of the pitch where Fernandes is giving the ball away, in contrast to De Bruyne and Maddison. My impression - particularly of KDB - is that he gives the ball away a lot more due to his crosses whereas I feel Fernandes is a lot more sloppier in general central areas of the field.

That could just be my confirmation bias of watching Fernandes every game and only really watching City and KDB on occasion, so would be nice to see if there's any sort of breakdown!
I think one big difference is that De Bruyne's crosses and through passes that don't reach their target usually leave the opposition's defence scrambling. Bruno more often than not starts counterattacks with his misplaced attempts.

Last edited:

flameinthesun

Unfortunately it's only the % but maybe another site has more details and I'd probably agree with your statement on KDB crossing. I think the most impressive thing of those stats is Maddison's stats this season which is great. Providing both creativity and great decision making on the ball.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

I intuitively think the same but confirmation bias is huge here. A stupid/soft giveaway by a United player will always stick in your head much more than the same by an opposition player, as it’s infinitely more stressful/annoying.

On a side note, stats aside, Maddison has clearly started the season in sensational form. He’s at the very top of his game, playing for a team that is functioning extremely well. Remains to be seen if this form (team or individual) is here to last. Same deal with the poor start to the season by Bruno and United.

gingemiester

I think one big difference is that De Bruyne's crosses and through passes that don't reach their target usually leave the opposition's defence scrambling. Bruno more often than not starts counterattacks with his misplaced attempts.
This…. 100%

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Okay, tell me what's factually incorrect in that post in the Osimhen thread. You don't even know what you're talking about, you're just assuming what the other poster said is correct because you want me to be wrong. Pathetic. Also, why do you constantly use stats to defend him? Are you not watching the games or something? Browse through the pages on here after his performance. You will not find a single poster who thought that was a good game, yet here you are saying he had a great game showing his stats.

By the way, "should've had 2 assists" made me laugh. He shouldn't even have had his first :lol:

Enjoy the match at Old Trafford.
Stats are quantitative and "zaafi from RedCafe thinks that if Bruno was injured tomorrow we'd immediately create more chances, score more goals and concede less" is qualitative. I could tell you that I believe Bruno's outperformed most/all of our players for the period since he joined United to present, but based on statement alone, what's the point?

And yes I watch the games but tend to take a more holistic approach to our performances, which is likely why it astounds me that a select few posters put so much energy into disliking Bruno when we have way deeper issues in our performances than how ETH is utilising him.

zaafi

Stats are quantitative and "zaafi from RedCafe thinks that if Bruno was injured tomorrow we'd immediately create more chances, score more goals and concede less" is qualitative. I could tell you that I believe Bruno's outperformed most/all of our players for the period since he joined United to present, but based on statement alone, what's the point?

And yes I watch the games but tend to take a more holistic approach to our performances, which is likely why it astounds me that a select few posters put so much energy into disliking Bruno when we have way deeper issues in our performances than how ETH is utilising him.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that any of our players are performing well, but the difference is that Bruno and Rashford always plays. I mean, clearly, whatever we are doing isn't working and it hasn't for years, so why not try to change our way of playing? We've relied on Bruno and Rashford for so long that we've forgotten how it is like to play together as a team, where moments of magic aren't the essence of our game. We've played a bunch of different midfielders with Bruno, and it's not working with either of them. Maybe a few matches here and there, but not consistently. Maybe the problem isn't every other player in our team, but the ones who try to force things and don't look to play with their team mates?

I'm not exactly looking to change your mind, but surely you can see this isn't working?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I intuitively think the same but confirmation bias is huge here. A stupid/soft giveaway by a United player will always stick in your head much more than the same by an opposition player, as it’s infinitely more stressful/annoying.

On a side note, stats aside, Maddison has clearly started the season in sensational form. He’s at the very top of his game, playing for a team that is functioning extremely well. Remains to be seen if this form (team or individual) is here to last. Same deal with the poor start to the season by Bruno and United.
Bruno’s form has been the same generally for the past three and a half years. The odd run of 3/4 good performances, a handful of goals and assists in a season and large spells of poor performances.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Maybe the problem isn't every other player in our team, but the ones who try to force things and don't look to play with their team mates?
How anyone could ever criticise Bruno in this regard, I do not know.

zaafi

How anyone could ever criticise Bruno in this regard, I do not know.
Sorry? This is exactly one of the major issues people have with him. He doesn't look to play with his team, he tries to create by himself every time he has the ball, and attempts passes that just aren't there. He consistently loses possession 25-30 times every game. Trying to create chances is fine when there is an opportunity, but trying to force it isn't going to work in the Premier League.

If not this, what would you criticise him for?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I’m assuming he’s referring to his performances rather than output, in which case he’d be right.
Why are we trying to rewrite history here? I remember Bruno being the bookies favourite for PFA player of the year around half way through the 20/21 season.

TsuWave

Why are we trying to rewrite history here? I remember Bruno being the bookies favourite for PFA player of the year around half way through the 20/21 season.
No one is rewriting history - a cursory look at Bruno’s performance threads - in every season - will provide you similar results. Hell, our own scouts didn’t want to sign him for these very same reasons.

Bruno is often lauded due to the same reasoning that prompted you to pull out a tweet with the number of goals he’s scored as soon as someone criticised his play.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

No one is rewriting history - a cursory look at Bruno’s performance threads - in every season - will provide you similar results. Hell, our own scouts didn’t want to sign him for these very same reasons.

Bruno is often lauded due to the same reasoning that prompted you to pull out a tweet with the number of goals he’s scored as soon as someone criticised his play.
The poster I was replying to claimed that for the past 3 and a half years Bruno has got "a handful of goals and assists in a season". I don't know in what world 28 goals and 17 assists in one season can be described as a handful.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
The poster I was replying to claimed that for the past 3 and a half years Bruno has got "a handful of goals and assists in a season". I don't know in what world 28 goals and 17 assists in one season can be described as a handful.
He scored 18 goals in the league to which 9 were penalties in 20-21. Crucially this is his best season.
As soon as penalty given to Man United decreased, his output went down completely. This was prime Bruno in output and age yet we didn't achieve anything with him.

He's now going to 30 years next year but we are still waiting for him to lead us to promise land as the captain :D . You know it won't happen.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He scored 18 goals in the league to which 9 were penalties in 20-21. Crucially this is his best season.
As soon as penalty given to Man United decreased, his output went down completely. This was prime Bruno in output and age yet we didn't achieve anything with him.

He's now going to 30 years next year but we are still waiting for him to lead us to promise land as the captain :D . You know it won't happen.
Not sure why you're ommiting his goals in the cup competitions, or all of his assists. But sure - because he's our captain, the context of all other players around him should be dismissed, as he alone is responsible for our failure to win the top trophies.

Marwood

Why are you waiting for one player to lead us anywhere?

That's part of your problem right there.