g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Remember the geese

Roy Keane went out of his way to mug off Ten Hag for praising Brunos leadership.

Whats wrong with that guy :lol:
I'm with Keane on this one. It was a stupid gamble from Bruno whilst the game was very much in the balance. He wasn't playing particularly well himself anyway. Rashford seemed to take little confidence from it either, judging by his performance after the pen.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm with Keane on this one. It was a stupid gamble from Bruno whilst the game was very much in the balance. He wasn't playing particularly well himself anyway. Rashford seemed to take little confidence from it either, judging by his performance after the pen.
Not really a huge gamble given Rashy is very established penalty taker

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why mess around with something like that though? At 2 or 3 nil, then fair enough.
I didnt really see it as messing around personally - I think both are seen as strong penalty takers and have a similar conversion record. If Bruno threw the ball at Antony or something I'd understand the concern.

Jeffthered

Bruno needs to be dropped in my opinion. And he is no Captain. Was rubbish again yesterday. The pass for Martial was nice, but hardly special. He needs to be more responsible for the team, lead by example, and he doesn't do that enough. He plays his own game.

Lyng

Bruno needs to be dropped in my opinion. And he is no Captain. Was rubbish again yesterday. The pass for Martial was nice, but hardly special. He needs to be more responsible for the team, lead by example, and he doesn't do that enough. He plays his own game.
I have been very critical of him this season, but I really dont understand the criticism after the Everton game. Yes the first half was not good, but the whole team, apart from Kobbie, looked shaky. Second half I thought he was very good. Constantly making himself available for passes. The understanding between him and Kobbie in the second half was really good. And he was leading the press constantly, all the way to the last minute.
It was a proper couldron we entered on Goodison and I think the lads coped well, including Bruno.

Idxomer

A very good footballer though not for a team aspiring to compete with the top teams.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Undone his good work with brain dead fouls. Dreadful captain, lacks composure.
The difference in composure between Mainoo and our seasoned club captain is mad. For a player with his experience and abilities, Fernandes is ridiculously impetuous

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He was doing so well, but he hasn't the composure for the pressure moments. Track back and help, but don't commit the same kind of foul from behind twice. That's the same thing Hannibal gets pelters for.

On the offensive end, I thought it was his best display of the season in terms of being prudent and timely with the ball.

ArmaDino

On paper, had an amazing night: a goal and assist

In practice, he gave away the freekick that resulted in the second goal. The foul he commited is something I expect from Garnacho or Mainoo, not an experienced Man Utd captain.His decision to constantly shoot when there are better passing options available, etc.

Sadly I think he is our boot leg Gerrard, all action no brains. Until we improve on him, we will always be vulnerable in the middle of the park.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He was doing so well, but he hasn't the composure for the pressure moments. Track back and help, but don't commit the same kind of foul from behind twice. That's the same thing Hannibal gets pelters for.

On the offensive end, I thought it was his best display of the season in terms of being prudent and timely with the ball.
Agreed. Incredibly frustrating for the captain and key player to give away such stupid fouls. Even if the keeper should do better, why give Galatasaray the chance to make life harder for us when you can just stand the guy up?

Roux

The 2 needless fouls cost us the game and gave them hope (twice). Very very silly.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
His best attacking performance for a long time in my opinion but he’s a liability.

ZainCRse7en

Serious question - Can anyone stand his whinging and moaning? It happens every game. I try to like the guy but every time the camera pans to his petulant face whinging and throwing his arms around, I find it incredibly difficult to do so. And this is supposed to be our captain.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Needs to be protected by two midfielders and his "defensive" duties need to be limited to chasing attackers up high. He's not a midfielder.
The whole idea of playing him deeper because we want to have two attacking #8s is flawed.

This game shows exactly his strengths and weaknesses.

SER19

the first foul was needed. the second was pointless. but even then, how many teams score from both of those freekicks, or more precisely, how many concede from them? a dreadful wall in number 1, and a complete howler in number 2. Im struggling to think of any other top team that lets in those tame efforts.

Heinzesight

Perfectly summarised.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
The 2 needless fouls cost us the game and gave them hope (twice). Very very silly.
I’ll give him a pass for the first one but the second one was indefensible. Brain fart / liability . Ziyech had his back to the goal

And the free kick defense was appalling. Everyone could tell Ziyech would just try to shoot again

DON’T PANIC ™

I think Utd’s policy must be to sign players with a lower than average IQ. Conceding stupid free kicks is such a regular occurrence.

NZT-One

I thought he was alright today. Should have been a game that suits him with all this space everywhere to play the ball into. We know he isn't the go to guy for controlling matches but I think, he was a little wasted in central midfield today. Should have been him in McTominays positions and another player/next to Amrabat or Mainoo. Unfortunately the alternatives aren't looking too well at the moment

DownRiver

You are the captain, yet you were responsible for two soft free kicks leading up to the goal. You also knew that the first goal from the first free kick was let in by an idiot of a goalkeeper, why give another free kick away?

Lyng

Good game overall but man that last foul for the second free kick was a real 0 brains moment.

kundalini

Brilliant shot for his goal. Super attempt that hit the post. Good assist for Garnacho's goal. Gave the ball away far too often - pass completion 68%, worked really hard to get back then stupid foul to concede free-kick in dangerous area from which they scored. Idiotic foul to concede free-kick for their 2nd goal.

If you want to know why we can't control games, this was the classic captain's performance, made the same error twice when we were 2 goals up (not helped by Onana having a nightmare match).

predator

Youth NITK
Silly foul but no one would even remember it if Onana didn't have one of the worst goalkeeping performances you'll ever see.

He was brilliant tonight for us going forward.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
None of the freekicks were from a particularly dangerous position, nor were they well taken. 100% Onana's fault that we lost today.

Assist + great goal. That's the story here.

KeanoMagicHat

Can't believe people are blaming Bruno for this match, it was an exceptional display let down by those around him.

Lyng

Can't believe people are blaming Bruno for this match, it was an exceptional display let down by those around him.
I don't think anyone is. But the second free kick was silly.
But tonight is all on Onana. Bruno had a very good game apart from that brainfart.

tomaldinho1

Did he give away one or both freekicks, I can't remember? That said, neither should really be going in. Agree was actually a better game from him, he fell away near the end but started very well.

Taking a step back I think one issue with him with is amplified as he is captain, is when the pressure builds on us there's no ability to stay calm. This runs throughout many of our team, there's no interest in some simple passes to buy a few mins breather, it's just gung-ho, basketball style up and down and always looking for that killer pass or shot. It's ok if you have a couple of elite finishers up top because you do create chances but we don't and just get countered non stop.

CasaStreets

None of the freekicks were from a particularly dangerous position, nor were they well taken. 100% Onana's fault that we lost today.

Assist + great goal. That's the story here.
Both of them were on the edge of the box, in extremely dangerous positions. The second one in particular was insane - the player is facing away from the goal and running toward the touchline. Why clip his heels?

I think he still had a 7/10 game because of his attacking contributions but the second free-kick foul was idiotic.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Did he give away one or both freekicks, I can't remember? That said, neither should really be going in. Agree was actually a better game from him, he fell away near the end but started very well.

Taking a step back I think one issue with him with is amplified as he is captain, is when the pressure builds on us there's no ability to stay calm. This runs throughout many of our team, there's no interest in some simple passes to buy a few mins breather, it's just gung-ho, basketball style up and down and always looking for that killer pass or shot. It's ok if you have a couple of elite finishers up top because you do create chances but we don't and just get countered non stop.
Game management is also vital as the captain. The team takes your lead and you are supposed to read your team and do the right thing by them.

Bruno tracking back was the right thing to do, and the first one being converted is all a string of untimely coincidences, but from that point on, it's his job as captain to see how nervous the team is and especially how shaky the keeper has gotten since the 1st goal went in and try his best to not have the scenario repeat on itself. Instead, it's gone the opposite way and he's given the opposition the opportunity to test the flappy keeper once more, and lo, flappy keeper does a stupid, flappy thing. It's as obvious as the opposition constantly taking pot shots because the keeper has shown weakness and nerves; you have to try your best to prevent that from happening instead of inviting it on.

Bruno needed to have the wherewithal to avoid that entire second scenario - run his man down, but don't put us in that predicament where the keeper is going to be tested again. It's also in making more shrewd decisions because your team are showing their arse - a big part of his job as captain is trying to instil that calm instead of exacerbating it.

I found it particularly frustrating today because he was doing the simple things well and releasing the ball with consideration until the game went to pot.

Alemar

Goal, assist, has hit the post. On the other hand, two free kicks conceded, both led to goals thanks to Taibi v.2.0

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Fantastic assist + goal and some nice passes mixed with a few brainfart moments, so pretty much a typical Bruno performance.

I really liked what he did after our first goal as well, looked like was trying to stop Garnacho from taunting (or whatever the right word is) the home crowd and get on with the game. I don't like those sort of "celebrations" at any time but 11min in to an away game when you're 1 goal up is definitely not the time to start with that stuff, so good on Bruno for shutting it down.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Attaching too much blame to a player for fouling somebody is a bit dumb IMO. It's not a pen. It's free kicks in very low probability areas. You can't eliminate everything, fouls are part of the game too and they're not really errors. You expect if you're getting beaten by free kicks in those areas, it's to ridiculous strikes. Not to your goalkeeper letting it roll in or parrying it into your own net.

Alemar

5G+5A so far this season. Nothing special, but top of the team by a margin.