2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

AFC NimbleThumb

Play the guy in the 10 & in the 10 exclusively. Until then I’m not buying people sparing him for being asked to do something we all knew he couldn’t prior to EtH coming in.

EtH had a tough decision to make when he came in & he shirked it so to the put Bruno on the wing or deeper in midfield sits solely on the manager for me.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I think we'd be higher in the table if we replaced Bruno with Bruno Guimaraes. You're not really replying to what I'm saying.
You've literally said Joelinton would be an upgrade on Bruno in a previous post.

Explain to me why you think Newcastle can create so many chances, score much more goals and dominate most games when they don't have a midfielder responsible for only creating chances?
A) They score more goals than us because their attackers are better finishers than ours.
B) It's all well and good having a workman-like midfield but you need someone to create chances. They rely on their RB for that. Replace Bruno with any of Newcastle's midfield and watch us score even fewer goals, as Wan Bissaka isn't going to provide the creativity for us.

Lyng

Bruno is excellent as a 10. Ten Hag needs to learn to not let him room free.
If he is told to stay in the am position he will be much better for us.
Problem is we lack a proper midfield setup that allows him to do that. McT isn't the answer.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Same argument over and over :lol:

De Bruyne is one of the best midfielders to ever play in this league. Bruno, mate, is not even close.
A poster claimed that no top team has a player who gives the ball away as much as Bruno. I responded with an example of a top team who has a midfielder that gives the ball away more than Bruno. If you don't want to hear the same argument over and over again then maybe don't pose the same question.

zaafi

You've literally said Joelinton would be an upgrade on Bruno in a previous post.
I think I said that he is the type of midfielder that ensures midfield balance and stability, because of his endless stamina, power, strength and overall physicality. He is a presence and is able to protect the ball. We need a player like that, but I don't think we'd be a better team with only him in.

A) They score more goals than us because their attackers are better than ours.
B) It's all well and good having a workman-like midfield but you need someone to create chances. They rely on their RB for that. Replace Bruno with any of Newcastle's midfield and watch us score even fewer goals, as Wan Bissaka isn't going to provide the creativity for us.
They have Gordon, Isak and Almiron as their front three. They're not some unstoppable, lethal trio that works magic. It's actually fairly average, but they create chances from everywhere because they focus on building up attacks instead of giving the ball away. You don't need to have a world class creator to create a chance. Chances are very easily made when you control the midfield, it's not a difficult concept.

Clearly, whatever we're doing isn't working, and it's not going to change whether we get in a new DM behind Bruno, or a new right winger.

zaafi

A poster claimed that no top team has a player who gives the ball away as much as Bruno. I responded with an example of a top team who has a midfielder that gives the ball away more than Bruno. If you don't want to hear the same argument over and over again then maybe don't pose the same question.
That's not what he claimed. He said that no top team has a player like Bruno, which they don't. De Bruyne may give the ball away as much in terms of pass completion, but both me and you know there is a difference in how and where they give the ball away. We also know De Bruyne has much, much more to his game than Bruno, and offers a lot more.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

They have Gordon, Isak and Almiron as their front three. They're not some unstoppable, lethal trio that works magic. It's actually fairly average
Gordon and Isak are significantly better at their jobs than Antony and Hojlund. Swap our frontline with Newcastle's and you'd see Bruno register a lot more assists.

they create chances from everywhere because they focus on building up attacks instead of giving the ball away. You don't need to have a world class creator to create a chance. Chances are very easily made when you control the midfield, it's not a difficult concept
Again - to be a succesful team, you need a player who's creating chances and taking risks on the ball. Newcastle have a workman-like midfield and rely on their RB to provide the creativity, much like Liverpool relied on Alexander Arnold when they won the league. Henderson and Wijnaldum did their jobs in providing the stamina in midfield, however if they had a RB with the limitations of Wan Bissaka then they wouldn't have won the league.

Clearly, whatever we're doing isn't working, and it's not going to change whether we get in a new DM behind Bruno, or a new right winger.
By that logic, because we weren't winning league titles in the 80s, we should've sold Bryan Robson then?

That's not what he claimed. He said that no top team has a player like Bruno, which they don't. De Bruyne may give the ball away as much in terms of pass completion, but both me and you know there is a difference in how and where they give the ball away. We also know De Bruyne has much, much more to his game than Bruno, and offers a lot more.
You seem to have fabricated this idea in your own head that Bruno is giving the ball away on the edge of his own box. If that's the case, give me examples of goals we've conceded as a result of this. De Bruyne and Bruno both give away the ball in similar areas.

zaafi

Gordon and Isak are significantly better at their jobs than Antony and Hojlund. Swap our frontline with Newcastle's and you'd see Bruno register a lot more assists.
Gordon plays on the left, but yes, he is better than Rashford, but he also works incredibly hard and isn't a selfish player like Rashford. Your second point is just an assumption, and it's something you don't really know. Bruno has played with great attackers during his time here, but has never really had exceptionally great assist numbers here. Isak, Almiron or Gordon has never scored as many PL goals during a season as Rashford, either.
Isak and Wilson have missed 5 big chances each this season, which is 3 more than Højlund and Rashford combined. It's not like their attackers score every chance.

Again - to be a succesful team, you need a player who's creating chances and taking risks on the ball. Newcastle have a workman-like midfield and rely on their RB to provide the creativity, much like Liverpool relied on Alexander Arnold when they won the league. Henderson and Wijnaldum did their jobs in providing the stamina in midfield, however if they had a RB with the limitations of Wan Bissaka then they wouldn't have won the league.
Those players should primarily be the attackers, not our midfielders. If we're going to take up one of our midfield spots on a chance creator, he better have an exceptional set of skills to go with it. Unfortunately for us, Bruno is quite limited and has a lot of weaknesses.
Take out Trippier from that Newcastle team, and they've still scored much more goals than us. No team relies only on their fullbacks for creating chances. Anyway, since there are fullbacks that are able to create more chances than Bruno, do you not think it would be a better alternative to use a fullback to be responsible for that, rather than a midfielder who has several weaknesses?

By that logic, because we weren't winning league titles in the 80s, we should've sold Bryan Robson then?
You can't just apply that argument to any player. Bruno is very easily replaceable. Bryan Robson was an uniquely brilliant player.

You seem to have fabricated this idea in your own head that Bruno is giving the ball away on the edge of his own box. If that's the case, give me examples of goals we've conceded as a result of this. De Bruyne and Bruno both give away the ball in similar areas.
Not really outside our own box, but he often does it on our side of the pitch, or around the midfield circle. It's not necessarily the passing I'm referring to, either, but it's him losing the ball because of a slight push, bad touch, or just wanting to get rid of the ball because he has no dribbling ability and as soon as he is pressed, the ball is theirs. De Bruyne doesn't lose the ball nearly as easily as Bruno, even if their pass completion rate is similar. A good example would be to watch the Bruno vs Atletico Madrid compilation YouTube, and you'll get the idea what I'm talking about, and how he loses the ball.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

No team relies only on their fullbacks for creating chances. Anyway, since there are fullbacks that are able to create more chances than Bruno, do you not think it would be a better alternative to use a fullback to be responsible for that, rather than a midfielder who has several weaknesses?
The transfer committee at United haven't exactly had a good hit rate over the past decade. If you think that selling Bruno and signing an up-and-coming full back who is also one of the most creative players in the world is a realistic outcome for the 2024 summer window then I've got some magic beans to sell you.

Not really outside our own box, but he often does it on our side of the pitch, or around the midfield circle. It's not necessarily the passing I'm referring to, either, but it's him losing the ball because of a slight push, bad touch, or just wanting to get rid of the ball because he has no dribbling ability and as soon as he is pressed, the ball is theirs. De Bruyne doesn't lose the ball nearly as easily as Bruno, even if their pass completion rate is similar. A good example would be to watch the Bruno vs Atletico Madrid compilation YouTube, and you'll get the idea what I'm talking about, and how he loses the ball.
The last time I watched a YouTube compilation video to form an opinion on a footballer was Gabriel Obertan in 2009, so I think I'll pass on that suggestion.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The sooner we move on from Bruno the better. Even playing quite well he’s a problem. It’s actually nice to see him perform better individually but when you see the problems he causes the team shape and through his own lack of control you see why we’ve been less successful in his time than in any other period since the 80s

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The sooner we move on from Bruno the better. Even playing quite well he’s a problem. It’s actually nice to see him perform better individually but when you see the problems he causes the team shape and through his own lack of control you see why we’ve been less successful in his time than in any other period since the 80s
Flawless logic. Spurs went over a decade without a trophy during Kane's time there, therefore he is to blame for that unsuccessful period at the club.

Marwood

Elaborate Jeppers.

What's the link in your mind between Bruno and this very unsuccessful period we're having?

Lyng

Flawless logic. Spurs went over a decade without a trophy during Kane's time there, therefore he is to blame for that unsuccessful period at the club.
Kane left and they looked much better. Indeed you are correct Kane wasnt the issue but they really lacked a proper 10 who could bind the team together. The reason they have been so good this season is mainly because of how excellent Maddisson is. Which is also why they started losing once he got injured.

statpadder

They don’t know mate. Let it go. For them, football is played on stats. They don’t even recognize what De Bruyne does and why his passing stats might be low - or when he plays those passes.

I suggest banging your head against the wall rather than arguing with such people who’ve probably never played the game at any level.

With Bruno, we will always be a counter attacking side relying on individual brilliance and being dominated by the likes of Newcastle ffs.

Amira

Captain’s performance from him today. Worked his socks off! Well done!

Brilliant. His work rate is outstanding. How can other players look at Bruno and be ok with their work rate? The man covers the whole pitch, puts in tackles, and creates most of our chances.

Magnifico.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Proper captain's performance. Didn't let the penalty miss get to his head. Made some important tackles to prevent counter attacks and was instrumental to us sustaining attacks in the second half. His decision making in the final third was very good as well.

zaafi

Genuinely great game. When he doesn't give the ball away at every opportunity and actually thinks before making a decision, he is very very good. Why can't he do it more often?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Put some respect on the guys name. He's someone who would fit right into any previous SAF side. Same with guys like Garnacho and Shaw. Top quality, work hard, and perform. And the availability for Bruno. But because he's the big name, the captain, everyone rips on him when the rest of the team is so unbalanced. Nonsense.

Idxomer

Probably his best performance in a United shirt.

88% pass completion and 5 key passes. Calm, composed and effective.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Probably won’t get any plaudits from Paul Scholes.

Top performance, albeit against a nothing team.

tomaldinho1

There was a moment in the first half where he tracked a counter all the way to our box and snuffed out the attack, he's an enigma but he works fecking hard. Woeful penalty but was good and didn't try as many long high risk passes I thought.

twitter thread suggester
I have hated watching him the last two years but that was immense.

Teja

He is brilliant. Whatever his flaws, I'm glad we have him. If we had an actual midfield behind him (or a better forward line infront) we'd be singing praises constantly.

Red00012

He was excellent tonight but can someone take him off corners and crossing in general . Feck me .

Lyng

Great performance but man he needs to learn to pass to Højlund. Other than that it was a great performance

youngrell

Genuinely great game. When he doesn't give the ball away at every opportunity and actually thinks before making a decision, he is very very good. Why can't he do it more often?
I think the extra movement around him has been a big help. His forward pass execution has been excellent the last few games. Crossing was annoying tonight, even more so than usual but overall a very good game.