2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

gregwar

He's been awful this season, but still looks more likely than anyone to make something happen. Who else do we have?

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It's all or nothing with him, there's simply zero vision to do quick passes through the lines and allow us to progress. It's always a low percentage L1+Triangle attempt that makes us lose the ball 9/10 times.

It's garbage, mid-table football and he has no place in a top team.

Mr PG

Hannibal is a much better option than Bruno in all honesty. Used to be his biggest fan but I can’t understand how ETH doesn’t see the disaster that is Bruno. Must have given away 12,13 of the stupidest balls I have ever seen.

Mr PG

Hannibal is simply a better CM than either of Mount or Bruno and he will only get better the more we play him. I maintain the day Hannibal gets a run of 3-4 games , Ten hag will never be able to get him out of the team.

Mr PG

People might laugh but even Isak HansenAaron would be much better than Bruno at this point

Valencia Shin Crosses

Bizarre how some of his defenders can hold both the position that Ronaldo was a detriment to us his first season back (when he was scoring goals at a very good rate) but also defend Bruno by pointing out his creative stats etc.

Both players succeed to the detriment of the overall team for the most part. Treating the ball like a bomb as a midfielder isn't excusable just because you create some chances. Even the comp posted above shows so many horrific passes that aren't just "taking risks" to try and create in the final third. Many are just terrible technique and poor decision making.

dan1509

Bizarre how some of his defenders can hold both the position that Ronaldo was a detriment to us his first season back (when he was scoring goals at a very good rate) but also defend Bruno by pointing out his creative stats etc.

Both players succeed to the detriment of the overall team for the most part. Treating the ball like a bomb as a midfielder isn't excusable just because you create some chances. Even the comp posted above shows so many horrific passes that aren't just "taking risks" to try and create in the final third. Many are just terrible technique and poor decision making.
Quite frankly, I find it more hilarious that many on here claimed that it was Ronaldo making Bruno play badly. His performances this season are beyond trash, more so than even when Ronaldo was here.

This guy is genuinely one of the biggest frauds to ever play the game. Casemiro has kind of exposed him in recent weeks, as he has also started treating the ball like a grenade, launching non-stop through balls. With this playstyle he has also started creating lots of chances

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's been awful this season, but still looks more likely than anyone to make something happen. Who else do we have?
If you are allowed to lose the ball and try final pass or every time you have the ball, you are definitely going to create something at some point. Look at Mctominay's goal for example.

ForeverRed1

Give mount a run of games to light a fire in Bruno. If he’s playing shite and still getting picked he doesn’t even need to try. I thought that was the whole point of squad competition?

redcucumber

He has to be dropped. He's carried a hell of a lot of expectation since he joined - maybe a period out of the starting 11 will help him reset.

Hammondo

If you are allowed to lose the ball and try final pass or every time you have the ball, you are definitely going to create something at some point. Look at Mctominay's goal for example.
Clearly it's not worth it, that's why other top teams don't play like he does.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Clearly it's not worth it, that's why other top teams don't play like he does.
He is not allowed to do that for Portugal either(at least to that extent he does if for us), but for us it seems that manager doesn't mind it.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The point would be that we ideally move away from relying on one man "looking likely to make something happen" and the system and passages of play being the reason we create chances and score goals. I recall reading a very sensible post from @Rozay either in this thread or somewhere else about Brighton (though the post can be taken more generally and not specific to that club) -- where they have scored double the amount of goals we have, but the point is never about "who assisted", or "who has created the most xA" -- the play where the system is key, not the individual. Sometimes it's Pascal Gross, or Solly March, or Adam Lallana. Or whoever.

It should not be a "who else do we have?", but, "who can we put together to play a complementary style of football"?

SonOfFergie

Shocking in this last game. I cannot for the life of me understand how a professional player at this level can be so careless with passing. Will look up if I can find stats how many lost balls, misplaced passes he had already very early in the game. And not difficult passes. Passes you would expect a young up and coming player from academy would complete 99% of the time. Shocking standards.

SonOfFergie

Shocking in this last game. I cannot for the life of me understand how a professional player at this level can be so careless with passing. Will look up if I can find stats how many lost balls, misplaced passes he had already very early in the game. And not difficult passes. Passes you would expect a young up and coming player from academy would complete 99% of the time. Shocking standards.
Found it:
https://fbref.com/en/matches/d95b42...chester-United-October-21-2023-Premier-League

Vs Sheffield captain magnifico had 66,7% pass completion rate and this should we believe it should be world elite level midfield player. 72 attempted passes, 24 misplaced. Can you imagine that? 24 misplaced passes.
Brighton vs City didn't have one single player with worse passing completion stats of those that played some meaningful minutes.
Villa vs West Ham same and it was a dreadful match.
Fecking Conor Gallagher had 31/36 86.1% vs Arsenal...

Last edited:

troylocker

I just don't get our fans. He was by far our best and most creative player again, and still gets slated by our fans. Created 5 of our 8 chances (no other player created more than 1, and got a lucky assist), had a great freekick hitting the bar, made 2 tackles (only Amrabat made more), 3 clearances (shared most), 2 dribbles (shared most) had second most touches on the pitch and ran the most. Yes, he passes with more risk that others, but that's what you get with creative players.
He works his ass off every time he's on the pitch.

Our biggest problem is how we defend (all over the pitch), how we give away too much space to run into and give the oppos too much time on the ball. Even when we are in balance there's tons of space between our midfield and defence to exploit.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hes always been like this but he was a creative beast to make up for it. Now though everything is mishit and it's not suiting the game we need to play. Eriksen came on and showed him what to do.

zaafi

I just don't get our fans. He was by far our best and most creative player again, and still gets slated by our fans. Created 5 of our 8 chances (no other player created more than 1, and got a lucky assist), had a great freekick hitting the bar, made 2 tackles (only Amrabat made more), 3 clearances (shared most), 2 dribbles (shared most) had second most touches on the pitch and ran the most. Yes, he passes with more risk that others, but that's what you get with creative players.

Our biggest problem is how we defend (all over the pitch), how we give away too much space to run into and give the oppos too much time on the ball. Even when we are in balance there's tons of space between our midfield and defence to exploit.
This is the kind of poster that would celebrate and chant Bruno's name if he picked the ball up and ran into the goal with the ball in his hands.

Deary me.

Mickson

Does someone have his goal and assists against the top 6 during his time at United (non-pen would be appreciated)? It must be significantly low.

troylocker

Found it:
https://fbref.com/en/matches/d95b42...chester-United-October-21-2023-Premier-League

Vs Sheffield captain magnifico had 66,7% pass completion rate and this should we believe it should be world elite level midfield player. 72 attempted passes, 24 misplaced. Can you imagine that? 24 misplaced passes.
Brighton vs City didn't have one single player with worse passing completion stats of those that played some meaningful minutes.
Villa vs West Ham same and it was a dreadful match.
Fecking Conor Gallagher had 31/36 86.1% vs Arsenal...
Yes, he has a lower successful pass rate than other AMCs out there and has the occasional sloppy misshit pass, but:

Creativity and goalthreat:
Bruno: 0,41 xA/90 + 0,31 xG/90 - 0,72xG+A/90
Gallagher: 0,12 xA/90 + 0,08 xG/90 - 0,20xG+A/90
Gallagher does complete passes at a higher rate though....

Compared to other "10's" in the PL this season:
Maddison: 0,35 xA/90 + 0,29 xG/90 - 0,63xG+A/90
Odegaard: 0,08 xA/90 + 0,29 xG/90 - 0,37xG+A/90
Szoboszlai: 0,20 xA/90 + 0,08 xG/90 - 0,28xG+A/90
Alvarez: 0,14 xA/90 + 0,35 xG/90 - 0,49xG+A/90
They all complete passes at a higher rate too.

The assists Bruno made on Saturday was a lucky one, but he's generated the highest xA (3,7xA) in the league between theoffensive midfielders this season and only has 2 assists. With the same effectiveness from his teammates as Maddison and Alvarez has he would probably be more appreciated as well:

Bruno: 2 assist from 3,7 xA (-1,7) (last season he got 8 assists from almost 18xA)
Maddison: 5 assists from 2,8 xA (+2,2)
Alvarez: 3 assists from 1,2 xA (+1,8)

Creative passing - Completed passes into the final 3rd - into the penalty box - chances created (all per 90) :
Bruno: 5,44 - 3,33 - 3,00
Gallagher: 3,88 - 1,17 - 1,17
Maddison: 5,14 - 4,05 - 3,38
Odegaard: 2,18 - 1,95 - 1,72
Szobo: 4,67 - 1,44 - 2,33
Alvarez: 1,57 - 1,33 - 2,29

This season only Maddison has made more progressive passes than Bruno this season, but Bruno has created the most big chances. Maddison makes half the defensive work of Bruno.
Bruno's whole playingstyle is to play with more offensive risk and be creative, leading to him naturally having a lower than most pass completion ratio. KDB completed 73,3% of his passes last season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Does someone have his goal and assists against the top 6 during his time at United (non-pen would be appreciated)? It must be significantly low.
Source: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bruno-fernandes/bilanz/spieler/240306/plus/0?wettbewerb=GB1
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bru...240306/plus/0?saison_id=ges&wettbewerb_id=GB1

Just in the PL:

GamesNon-penalty GoalsPenalty goalsAssists
City7111
Arsenal7102
Chelsea7011
Liverpool6100
Spurs7122
TOTAL34446

Total of non-pen g/a = 34 games, 10 G/A.
Total with pens = 34 games, 14 G/A.

Spurs are doing some real heavy lifting. Hates a game against Liverpool.

Dike_Manc

I maintain that he, more than any other player in our squad, contributes more to our problems than our solutions. He often lacks the basic footballing intelligence of reading the flow of the game and understanding when to hold on to the ball.
I'd bench him and bring him on when we are chasing games, till he grows up a bit.
We concede too many chances to his ineptitude and we simply cannot afford that right now.

zaafi

In the Premier League, since he joined in January 2019

City: 1 goal, 1 assist,
Chelsea: 1 assist
Liverpool: 1 goal
Tottenham: 1 goal, 2 assists
Arsenal: 1 goal, 2 assists

@DWelbz19 beat me to it

hobbers

No he runs about a lot. Doesn't mean he's doing useful work.

Coming deep to get the ball after we just score repeatedly to then punt the ball to Sheffield is not useful work. 66% pass success is not acceptable, but maybe understandable in a big game if you're playing as a number 10, but he isn't and that was a terrible opponent. He kept dropping deep demanding the ball and then punting it to Sheffield players.

He's the only real mainstay in our squad for the last 18 months and all people can say in his favour is chance creation. Yet we have looked terrible as an attacking unit since March. Terrible at creating good chances in big away games and against well organised opponents. And then you take a look at our possessions stats in so many games and it's no surprise that we now get bossed about by Newcastle, Villa and Brighton.

troylocker

This is the kind of poster that would celebrate and chant Bruno's name if he picked the ball up and ran into the goal with the ball in his hands.

Deary me.
Good post!
Let's keep the discussion on this level.

Could you break down the post you replied to and make some arguements to what you disagree with?
(that would probably be more fruitful than the "funny" insults)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Source: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bruno-fernandes/bilanz/spieler/240306/plus/0?wettbewerb=GB1
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bru...240306/plus/0?saison_id=ges&wettbewerb_id=GB1

Just in the PL:

City7111
Arsenal7102
Chelsea7011
Liverpool6100
Spurs7122
TOTAL34446

8 goals and 6 assists in 34 games against those teams doesn't seem too bad? And that's ignoring the fact he's been playing for a team that has been miles below the best teams in the league the whole time he's been there. Anyone who plays his position with obviously better stats against the same opposition? (which I'm going to assume will be beefed up considerably by games against Manchester United!)

troylocker

Hes always been like this but he was a creative beast to make up for it. Now though everything is mishit and it's not suiting the game we need to play. Eriksen came on and showed him what to do.
When we play with Eriksen it's like playing with 10 men when we're defending though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When we play with Eriksen it's like playing with 10 men when we're defending though.
If we use the same level of hyperbole, playing with Bruno can be like attacking with 10. He constantly gives the ball away as much as Eriksen lacks in defending.

troylocker

If we use the same level of hyperbole, playing with Bruno can be like attacking with 10. He constantly gives the ball away as much as Eriksen lacks in defending.
So playing with the player that creates the most big chances in the league is like playing with a man less in attack?

Eriksen: 0,08xG/90 and 0,09xA/90
Bruno: 0,31xG/90 and 0,41xA/90

Would you really rather have 10% higher pass completion than the 350% extra goalthreat? ....and the defensive workrate?

zaafi

Fecking hell. Don't encourage him. Have you seen how many posts he has in this thread?!?
Have you seen how many posts you have on this entire forum? Get a grip, you just keep repeating yourself time and time again.

By the way, most of my posts are probably me replying to your boring ass :lol: Can only blame myself, I guess.

zaafi

8 goals and 6 assists in 34 games against those teams doesn't seem too bad? And that's ignoring the fact he's been playing for a team that has been miles below the best teams in the league the whole time he's been there. Anyone who plays his position with obviously better stats against the same opposition? (which I'm going to assume will be beefed up considerably by games against Manchester United!)
:lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So playing with the player that creates the most big chances in the league is like playing with a man less in attack?

Eriksen: 0,08xG/90 and 0,09xA/90
Bruno: 0,31xG/90 and 0,41xA/90

Would you really rather have 10% higher pass completion than the 350% extra goalthreat? ....and the defensive workrate?
This is the issue with looking at stats in isolation. Bruno constantly tries to do risky passes so it's natural he'd be creating more in absolute terms. Hes often brain dead in terms of game management and never knows when it's smart to actually play keep ball.

You've also ignored the fact that Eriksen always plays deeper than Bruno, and as such will naturally have less XG ans XAs.

How is Eriksen defensive stats vs Bruno too? You claim it's like defending with 10, can you expand?

Telsim

How do you know that when no one else has played in his position for years?

Lyng

I think questioning Brunos creativity is extremely weird. But there are questions to be asked this season. I dont know if its the captaincy or what is wrong, but he is really not playing well this season. And I know people talk about international football like its useless to compare, but he is playing much tidier there. Could there be an issue with how the manager uses him? Is he giving him to much freedom?

FerociousCorgis

is there a sport where "stats" can be so worthless as soccer? Assists can just be so worthless when you look at it. Yesterday perfect example- Lindelof and bruno both get credited with an assist. One was an absolute horrendous pass, and the other was just a pass to the middle of the field that needed a great shot in the top corner from outside the box to finish. Neither really show anything about the players ability to get forward positively over the course of the game. Goals can be influenced by pks, or just a player being in the right spot to finish off a movement that they played pretty much no part in.

All i know about Bruno is watching him you can clearly see we have very little attacking structure when he is out there. Love his determination and the fact that he keeps himself fit and available for selection much better than most players we employ, but as one of our supposed stars he just falls flat for me.

El Jefe

Just in the PL:

City7111
Arsenal7102
Chelsea7011
Liverpool6100
Spurs7122
TOTAL34446

Dreadful and the performances are even worse than the stats.

Pretty sure the City assist was in his first game against them which was the chipped pass to Martial back in Jan/Feb 2020. His solitary goal vs Liverpool was a deflected goal against at home with no fans in the stadium. He also scored against Liverpool in the FA Cup in the same season with no fans.

Once you dig even deeper into the stats it really is grim.