2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

youngrell

Yeah, think people are being a bit harsh regarding the free kicks. On both occasions the opponents have crossed in front of him and he’s clipped their heels, it’s not like he’s gone flying in stupidly. Onana is to blame for both goals.

The non-stop attacking while we are leading is more frustrating, but it’s not just Bruno it’s the whole team so it must either be instructions from the coach or the whole team lacks composure and/or footballing brains. It’s like they are in a constant rondo.

Alemar

On course for roughly 25 G/A this season then. Not bad given the circumstances.
The fact that he tops our assists chart is maybe expected, but he is also (joint) top goal scorer - and that’s the problem surely

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The fact that he tops our assists chart is maybe expected, but he is also (joint) top goal scorer - and that’s the problem surely
Yeah it's not ideal when your no.10 is the top scorer. Especially when he's only on 5 goals in 20 (?) games.

I still believe that Højlund and Garnacho will get a decent amount though. Rashford I've given up.

MattofManchester

the most brain dead foul.
It's hard to judge imo. It's an unfortunate foul, but he shouldn't have to run that far AND also be the first player who makes contact with the guy he's chasing.
If our other central midfielder didn't evaporate into thin air every time the opposition have the ball, we'd have had a player in a better position.

It's just ridiculous one of the furthest away is the first into contact.

KeanoMagicHat

I’m most encouraged by him finding his range in attack. Stunning goal and another great strike off the post. Comes after a nice goal against Fulham and some very nice passes in attacking positions that have led to goals in the past month. That’s more like the Bruno we expect.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
In a way he kind of embodies our inability to simply put our foot on the ball and manage a game. We're leading by two, take the sting out of the game and let the opponent chase for a bit.

criticalanalysis

Two stupid, stupid fouls but I can't blame or criticise him too much tonight (compared to other games where he's deserved worse). Important assist for the first goal and stunning strike for the second.

Let down by the keeping.

Valencia Shin Crosses

In a way he kind of embodies our inability to simply put our foot on the ball and manage a game. We're leading by two, take the sting out of the game and let the opponent chase for a bit.
He'll always be that way, which is why you have better be well organized at the back.

I have no issues with his actual playing tonight, but it drives me mad how him and Scott love to just go play striker in these games when it gets hectic instead of dropping back and ensuring the space is closed up and the ball retained in midfield first and foremost.

Stig

He's a petulant, whinging, low IQ, irresponsible tit, week in week out.

frostbite

He is still our best player. And we still do not have a proper, world-class striker that could benefit from his passes.

We are wasting his best years because we have been spending tons of money on bad or unnecessary or unready players like Onana, Mount, Antony, Hojlund ... instead of getting a world-class striker.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He had an amazing game today.

Generally speaking, he is definitely our best player. And has been since joining.

Danny

If he was a youngster breaking through we'd say it comes with experience but he's just not learning.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The first one also happened after he sprinted 60 yards back to help out our defence. Which earns him a pass for all but the most brain dead foul.
Being Bruno earns him a pass for you. If you caught him in bed with your missus you’d do him a full breakfast.

In reality the galatasary player wasn’t running through one on one. Giving away a free kick on the edge of the box is always a risk, hence the need for a wall. He’d have been better off not giving away the free kick (twice) but we know he gets frustrated when he doesn’t get the ball when he wants it, then you see him charge after the opposition and we all know what comes next. It is brain dead when he never learns.

Going forward he was excellent because he actually showed composure that is typically lacking in his game. Defensively he was a liability…which cancelled out his good work going forwards and let the opponents back in.

zaafi

He is still our best player. And we still do not have a proper, world-class striker that could benefit from his passes.

We are wasting his best years because we have been spending tons of money on bad or unnecessary or unready players like Onana, Mount, Antony, Hojlund ... instead of getting a world-class striker.
Shocking how people still fall for this. We have Højlund up top with excellent movement and Bruno can't even create for him. When are people going to understand that Bruno often needs space to send the ball into, simply because he is not a number 10 that operates well with little space? He is not Özil, Kaka, Ødegaard, David Silva or Bernardo Silva. A completely different 10 who lacks crucial qualities to play this role for a top team.

Jeffthered

I don't think anyone is. But the second free kick was silly.
But tonight is all on Onana. Bruno had a very good game apart from that brainfart.
The first 20 mins was the best I have seen from Bruno this season, it was the perfect game for him.. away from home, playing on the break. He made the chance for the first and scored a sensational second.

But... and this is absolutely key ok, he, a captain, has got to manage that team. We cannot be so open and irresponsible with our tactical play. He needs to get us in shape. And he doesn't do this. He doesn't have the physical power, seemingly the personality or presence to get, arrange, define the way our team plays... look at KDB, Modric.. they dictate the way their teams play in their own way. They take responsibility for things. Griezman does this for France, playing from a similar role as Bruno in fact.

Luke Shaw should be our Captain imo. (Ideally I would want Rashford, because he represents a lot what is good about the club and carries that respect... but he's out of form, out of sorts etc..)

Red00012

The first one also happened after he sprinted 60 yards back to help out our defence. Which earns him a pass for all but the most brain dead foul.
He actually sprinted back half stopped thinking his work was done but never got goalside of the attacker so when he was played in he had to go after it and needlessly concede a free at the edge of the box . Granted McTominay should have just played him in just before that.

Smores

The first 20 mins was the best I have seen from Bruno this season, it was the perfect game for him.. away from home, playing on the break. He made the chance for the first and scored a sensational second.

But... and this is absolutely key ok, he, a captain, has got to manage that team. We cannot be so open and irresponsible with our tactical play. He needs to get us in shape. And he doesn't do this. He doesn't have the physical power, seemingly the personality or presence to get, arrange, define the way our team plays... look at KDB, Modric.. they dictate the way their teams play in their own way. They take responsibility for things. Griezman does this for France, playing from a similar role as Bruno in fact.

Luke Shaw should be our Captain imo. (Ideally I would want Rashford, because he represents a lot what is good about the club and carries that respect... but he's out of form, out of sorts etc..)
I don't see how it's Bruno that takes the criticism for this. ETH has us setup in such a way that we have no chance to control a game. It's a tactical and widespread coaching issue.

Jeffthered

I don't see how it's Bruno that takes the criticism for this. ETH has us setup in such a way that we have no chance to control a game. It's a tactical and widespread coaching issue.
Really? Then you don't expect much from a captain, and also, from an alleged midfielder. What is the role of a Captain? To provide a level of leadership, example, direction.

Bruno doesn't do this, he's a talented individual, which is fine, great at times. But he's no Captain. Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Rio.. VDS, Rooney, Van Persie.. Giggs... Neville.. these are Man Utd Captain's. If you don't have these characters (some may say the game has changed etc, fair enough..) then you need responsible players, who can manage a game. And when we play Bruno and SMT in our midfield, that's not setting a foundation for anything and that simply does not work. We see it time and time again.

Zlatans Knee

Both fouls were completely avoidable. For the first one the Galatasaray player would in all likelihood have got a shot off but the second one was ridiculous. Ziyech was going nowhere and Bruno just kicks him for no reason whatsoever. Then obviously Onana needs to save that. But without the foul he wouldn't have to.
It is just crazy how we seem to have no discipline at all. Why were Scott and Bruno so far up the pitch when we were 2-0 up? It was the same in Copenhagen, we are so open and seemingly easy to play against. You genuinely wonder what goes on in training.

Raven

We need 2 actual midfielders behind him. Let him do his fecking job, ridiculous decision to bring off Amrabat for Mainoo when Scott had been playing hide and seek for most of the game.

Rossa

We need 2 actual midfielders behind him. Let him do his fecking job, ridiculous decision to bring off Amrabat for Mainoo when Scott had been playing hide and seek for most of the game.
I'm sure ETH was looking to substitute McTominay but couldn't find him on the pitch.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
The only one who can make a good choice and a good pass.

He made the foul for the first goal because he had to cover the pitch and the space left by McTominay.

I really don't like this double 10 thing that Ten Hag is doing this year, which is basically benefits to Mc Tominay, but none of the rest of the team.

90% of the time, Bruno is lower than Scott which is unacceptable. No one can connect with the attack when Bruno is so deep.

Great goal, fantastic strike, and I appreciated his comments toward Pellistri at the end of the game

frostbite

Shocking how people still fall for this. We have Højlund up top with excellent movement and Bruno can't even create for him. When are people going to understand that Bruno often needs space to send the ball into, simply because he is not a number 10 that operates well with little space? He is not Özil, Kaka, Ødegaard, David Silva or Bernardo Silva. A completely different 10 who lacks crucial qualities to play this role for a top team.
Hojlund has movement, Wout had movement, both have zero goals in PL.

Hojlund might become a great striker in 3 or 4 years, he is not a great striker now, never mind a world-class striker. We need a world class striker up top, Hojlund isn't it.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Remind me, did we get out of our CL group when we set up like that and gave him the free role everybody thinks he should have?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Remind me, did we get out of our CL group when we set up like that and gave him the free role everybody thinks he should have?
Remind me, did us not getting out our group have anything to do with his performances? We've scored more goals than almost any team in the competition and you're trying to blame our most creative player for us failing to progress? Come on...

Roux

I’ll give him a pass for the first one but the second one was indefensible. Brain fart / liability . Ziyech had his back to the goal

And the free kick defense was appalling. Everyone could tell Ziyech would just try to shoot again
agree - his intention in both situations was to foul instead of win the ball back because of his frustration. He's done this many times before - his lack of discipline is incredible.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Remind me, did us not getting out our group have anything to do with his performances?
I was responding to the notion that all we need to do is put two defensive midfielders behind him. We've seen that play already. No need to be so tense. Other than that, yes, i do believe he affects us negatively often times. Not his performances per se, but the way he sees the game of football. I'd prefer three Mainoos in the midfield. Not clones, just players who want and can play football in the way he does. Less instinct, more brain. But let's not get there, it's a tiring discussion.

Roux

Attaching too much blame to a player for fouling somebody is a bit dumb IMO. It's not a pen. It's free kicks in very low probability areas. You can't eliminate everything, fouls are part of the game too and they're not really errors. You expect if you're getting beaten by free kicks in those areas, it's to ridiculous strikes. Not to your goalkeeper letting it roll in or parrying it into your own net.
disagree - the areas were dangerous and it invites unnecessary pressure in a hostile environment. The second foul was even worse because of what happened with the first.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Great strike yesterday and he was of course involved in the other two goals too. He was unfortunate with the first foul and credit to him for sprinting back about 60 yards to try and stop the counter attack. Where were our other two midfielders?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I was responding to the notion that all we need to do is put two defensive midfielders behind him. We've seen that play already. No need to be so tense. Other than that, yes, i do believe he affects us negatively often times. Not his performances per se, but the way he sees the game of football. I'd prefer three Mainoos in the midfield. Not clones, just players who want and can play football in the way he does. Less instinct, more brain. But let's not get there, it's a tiring discussion.
The point being made that when he’s able to have a free role behind our front three he’s an incredibly effective creative force. Which we’ve seen throughout our CL campaign. In the league he’s been hampered by having to play different positions and generally fight fires in a messed up system. We don’t need a midfield of three Kobbie Mainoo’s but even one of them dramatically improves us. If/when we get McT out of the team and replace him with someone more competent to partner Mainoo we’ll see the best of Bruno. Which we’ve been gettting glimpses of over the last two games.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Really? Then you don't expect much from a captain, and also, from an alleged midfielder. What is the role of a Captain? To provide a level of leadership, example, direction.

Bruno doesn't do this, he's a talented individual, which is fine, great at times. But he's no Captain. Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Rio.. VDS, Rooney, Van Persie.. Giggs... Neville.. these are Man Utd Captain's. If you don't have these characters (some may say the game has changed etc, fair enough..) then you need responsible players, who can manage a game. And when we play Bruno and SMT in our midfield, that's not setting a foundation for anything and that simply does not work. We see it time and time again.
He's not a midfielder though. Never has been, never will be. He can "do a job" just as Lindelof can do a job as a fullback, but this can't possibly be the plan A. He is a really prolific attacking midfielder and it's 100% on ETH that he is pushing him into more CM role with arguably more defensive duties than Scott feckin McTominay has at the moment.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The point being made that when he’s able to have a free role behind our front three he’s an incredibly effective creative force. Which we’ve seen throughout our CL campaign. In the league he’s been hampered by having to play different positions and generally fight fires in a messed up system. We don’t need a midfield of three Kobbie Mainoo’s but even one of them dramatically improves us. If/when we get McT out of the team and replace him with someone more competent to partner Mainoo we’ll see the best of Bruno. Which we’ve been gettting glimpses of over the last two games.
With or without the free role, we're a top-four contender in England and a Europa League team in Europe. I'm not saying it's his fault, but he's definitely one of the players whose wants both Solskjaer and ETH have tried catering to. And this is how far they both came. And i certainly don't agree with the notion that Bruno in a role that no other team affords a single player will lead us to glory if we just replace McT.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
With or without the free role, we're a top-four contender in England and a Europa League team in Europe. I'm not saying it's his fault, but he's definitely one of the players whose wants both Solskjaer and ETH have tried catering to. And this is how far they both came. And i certainly don't agree with the notion that Bruno in a role that no other team affords a single player will lead us to glory if we just replace McT.
Nobody is asking him to have a role that no other player plays. I'm just arguing that with two other competent CMs we'll become a much better team and Bruno's strengths will far outweigh his weaknesses. It's not a wild claim either consider we've literally seen it happen already, multiple times. The problem has been that it's been reliant on "good Fred" turning up, or Casemiro producing one of his increasingly rare world class performances and/or Eriksen also rolling back the years. Or - once in a blue moon - McT working out how to get on the ball and influence the game. So we've only very occasionally produced top class team performances over the last couple of years. It just seems so obvious to me that our problems in midfield begin and end with the players in deeper positions and trying to single out Bruno as the main problem is badly missing the point. Our central midfield duo exchanged 38 passes last night. Replace them with some proper ball players and a hell of a lot of our problems will go away. That's the low hanging fruit in terms of fixing this team, not dropping our most potent creative threat (one of the most potent creative threats in Europe)

Last edited:

zaafi

Hojlund has movement, Wout had movement, both have zero goals in PL.

Hojlund might become a great striker in 3 or 4 years, he is not a great striker now, never mind a world-class striker. We need a world class striker up top, Hojlund isn't it.
Weghorst did absolutely not have movement, and he was very slow too. Højlund has excellent movement in and around the box, but somehow Bruno is never able to find him. What striker would be world class if his team mates can't create enough chances for him?

We'd make Kane look like a fool in this team.

Who is this world class striker you're talking about?