2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Ash_G

It's an interesting one. Personally for me I think if we were to try and sell Bruno I don't think a really top team comes in for him (as a first eleven player anyway, he could be a squad player anywhere) as I think he is to willing to give the ball away on low percentage passes and so for however good his stats are I think he has a ceiling.

That said given how far away from either of those we are, I don't think that is really an issue for us and there are many other areas we need to fix first. Yes we could probably get a good fee for him but I'm not sure how easily we'd replace what he does bring and if it makes sense to do that when there's a lot of other problems. I do think/hope there is a way to reign him in a bit and for him to have a better balance on when to be aggressive and when to calm things down although I'm not sure on that. He seems quite an emotional player so I wonder if we were to get more in control of things and not always be in situations where we need to turn it around if he would then respond to that as well but we just don't know.

However we do need to react to what he's currently like and acknowledge that as we know he's going to likely give the ball away, and coupled with the fact that all of our attackers will likely make a reasonably number of poor decisions in attack, that we can't leave ourselves in situations where we're so prone to a counter attack. We then need to couple this with adding another attacker who will suit/compliment Bruno/Hojland rather than just a random attacker and it needs to be someone who is more established as we've already got Garnacho and hopefully Amad as young attacking players. That said I'm not sure who that would be and what funds there are for it, I suspect if Rashford/Anthony don't find form then maybe we'll see Mount in attack, which whilst not ideal might not be the worse thing for us (not sure it can get worse) until we can get to the summer. I think for now we're likely to have more success banking on "moments" and trying to be as solid as we can and for that Bruno is as good a player as you're likely to find.

United888

I think Bruno is a top quality player and on top of it he rarely get injured. He has the downside that sometime he tried to much by playing Hollywood passes in the wrong time. But I will move him on if there is clubs offering to buy him and use the money to rebuild the squad. He’s 29 years old going to be 30 next season and he’s on around 250k wages with only 2 years plus 1 year extension left in his contract. That’s the prime age of a midfielder and clearly we are still in rebuilding stage and by the time if we ever complete our rebuild, he will be too old to be part of it. Someone like Eriksen and Evans are more ideal for short term experienced players because they are on much lower wages than Bruno.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Averaging 5.6 shot creating actions per 90...

NZT-One

Averaging 5.6 shot creating actions per 90...
With those numbers, why isn't that tweet about Maddison?

I am sure Statman Dave is already on it to find a way to sort stuff differently.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
With those numbers, why isn't that tweet about Maddison?

I am sure Statman Dave is already on it to find a way to sort stuff differently.
The natural assumption would be that it's the addition of the "shot creation action" that makes him the most creative, not the "shot creation action" alone.

Anyway, a stat like this needs, as a bare minimum, to take into account xga.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What is the definition of a shot creating action, if i may ask.
It's basically a pass that led to a shot. It's a bit like passing accuracy: you look at a percentage but you don't know how many of those passes were just first station passes that usually adds little to the build-up.

NZT-One

What is the definition of a shot creating action, if i may ask.
Probably an assist, or a pre-assist to an assist. Or a pre-pre-assist to a pre-assist to an assist. Or as long as they touch the ball and the team eventually scores a goal in the 90 minutes?
"defined as ‘the two offensive actions directly leading to a shot, such as passes, dribbles and drawing fouls’ by FBRef."

Comes from the actual Football 365 article

It's basically a pass that led to a shot. It's a bit like passing accuracy: you look at a percentage but you don't know how many of those passes were just first station passes that usually adds little to the build-up.
Mate, if you don't know and don't care to look it up, why do you join the game?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Mate, if you don't know and don't care to look it up, why do you join the game?
A chance in football corresponds to a shot, whether on target or not. There are two actions which directly create a chance, a shot and a pass that leads directly to a shot (a key pass). So at its core CC is just an accumulation of shots and key passes, but adjusted for playing time to shots and key passes per 90 minutes.

NZT-One

But the question was, what is an SCA and considering the number originate from a Football365 article it makes the most sense to look for a definition there... It is not just passe or shots. It is fecked up with those stats have slightly different meanings across some of the stats provider but it is, what it is.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
But the question was, what is an SCA and considering the number originate from a Football365 article it makes the most sense to look for a definition there... It is not just passe or shots. It is fecked up with those stats have slightly different meanings across some of the stats provider but it is, what it is.
It's still a good source for measure, I wasn't slagging it. But a lot of times context gets lost in stats. In case of Fernandes the stats are probably right, even though he's playing as bad as everyone in the team, he still manages to be the most creative player we have.

The % of passing is a good example how someone without having that much passing skill can look good on the passing stats. In this case it's not so easy to counter a stat that is a bit more objective that is a goal chance, but it would be nice if we could see how far was the player from the goalie when the chance was created. It would give us more quality info: a chance created by a pass to someone who still has to deal with several opponents before taking the shot is not really a quality goal chance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's still a good source for measure, I wasn't slagging it. But a lot of times context gets lost in stats. In case of Fernandes the stats are probably right, even though he's playing as bad as everyone in the team, he still manages to be the most creative player we have.

The % of passing is a good example how someone without having that much passing skill can look good on the passing stats. In this case it's not so easy to counter a stat that is a bit more objective that is a goal chance, but it would be nice if we could see how far was the player from the goalie when the chance was created. It would give us more quality info: a chance created by a pass to someone who still has to deal with several opponents before taking the shot is not really a quality goal chance.
I’ve seen stats on “successful passes into the opposition box” which would give a bit more of that context.

EDIT: Here you are

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I’ve seen stats on “successful passes into the opposition box” which would give a bit more of that context.

EDIT: Here you are

Nice. Thank you, sir. So, he's basically actually being useful on our build-up, we are just not a functional team to make the best out of it, I guess.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Complete mess of a performance thread. It’s a waste of time people actually assessing his performances….Just wait three days for some obscure stats to tell you he’s the best player in the league…Repeat

statpadder

Complete mess of a performance thread. It’s a waste of time people actually assessing his performances….Just wait three days for some obscure stats to tell you he’s the best player in the league…Repeat
Since you’re the leader of the “Bruno is a stats merchant” club and are wasting so much time debating with people who have been so wrong before…

why don’t you pick a Bruno stat for a match e.g chances created and take out all his touches for that match in a video and see what they are counting as a “chance”

I believe this myth that Bruno is a chance creating machine needs to die and this is the only way.

Wigan 0:2 Man Utd

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Something that puzzles me, he endlessly flaps his arms, whinges, cries and has tantrums at teammates for their misdeeds but not a single player ever bollocks him for the countless times he fecks the team over with stupid, lazy passes.

Varane, Mainoo, anyone, should have been tearing into him for that corner that launched a counter in the second half.

Shit dive too.

Oranges038

Crap at corners and setpieces, absolutely useless and he shouldn't be let near them ever again.

Shameful dive for the pen too.

edgecutter

Won a soft pen and slotted it home. That was probably the only way we were getting a second goal.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm starting to think he shouldn't be allowed to "press". He just runs at players at full speed, making it easy to by-pass our first pressing wave.

I also think it's criminal offence to play him in midfield.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
If only his finishing was as good as his movement.

I thought he was our best player after Mainoo with Garnacho close behind.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Crap at corners and setpieces, absolutely useless and he shouldn't be let near them ever again.

Shameful dive for the pen too.
His delivery was poor but and the routines he attempted with Rashford were all a total waste of time. I hope one of the first people out the door when Ineos takes over is the set-piece coach we signed from Chelsea. Don’t think there’s another team in the league so consistently wank at corners. Possibly ever.

Oranges038

His delivery was poor but and the routines he attempted with Rashford were all a total waste of time. I hope one of the first people out the door when Ineos takes over is the set-piece coach we signed from Chelsea. Don’t think there’s another team in the league so consistently wank at corners. Possibly ever.
His kicking technique for setpieces is crap and his run up angle is not right at all, it's the same technique he uses for shooting. When he does that his delivery will always be erratic, like his shooting.

He genuinely doesn't seem like he's aiming for an area or a player, it's like he's just trying to shoot towards the box.

Marwood

If only his finishing was as good as his movement.

I thought he was our best player after Mainoo with Garnacho close behind.
Yeah I've said the same before. His finishing is his biggest letdown, especially when we all kind of know he can do much better.

Sticks one of those chances away tonight and that's a good performance.

ddg01

I wonder if he creates more chances for the opposition with his wasteful passing or more for us with the odd one that comes off.

lost7

Good pen, important to score it to build up the confidence

NZT-One

I'm starting to think he shouldn't be allowed to "press". He just runs at players at full speed, making it easy to by-pass our first pressing wave.

I also think it's criminal offence to play him in midfield.
Noted that even during Oles time. Many posters on here adore him for it, shows his heart and his workrate...

Hell yeah. The guy came with so much promise didn't he? Its a joke he is still here, at best I'd say he has no effect at all but as you say, currently it looks it is getting worse once again.