g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Trequarista10

I'm starting to think he shouldn't be allowed to "press". He just runs at players at full speed, making it easy to by-pass our first pressing wave.

I also think it's criminal offence to play him in midfield.
Pretty sure his pressing won the ball a few times today. But I agree, sometimes he is too gung ho with it. He more frequently wins it when he is a bit deeper and pounces on an opponent midfeilder receiving the ball on the turn, rather than charging at a GK or CB who see him from a mile off and have plenty of time to calmly pass around him.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Are you saying you like when Bruno gets tapped and rolls 6 times on the ground screaming like he was shot by a 9mm in the knee?
Footballers have been making a meal out of minimal contact for well over 20 years now. Ronaldo was doing it when we won PL titles. As a fanbase, we're generally less arsed about it when we're winning trophies.

caid

Are you saying you like when Bruno gets tapped and rolls 6 times on the ground screaming like he was shot by a 9mm in the knee?
Yes! When it leads to a penalty - HELL YES!
Football is cynical as feck these days. I'd rather win some and lose some of these decisions than just lose and get nothing back.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Pretty sure his pressing won the ball a few times today. But I agree, sometimes he is too gung ho with it. He more frequently wins it when he is a bit deeper and pounces on an opponent midfeilder receiving the ball on the turn, rather than charging at a GK or CB who see him from a mile off and have plenty of time to calmly pass around him.
It's bound to happen every now and then. Bruno is just a "high volume" type of player - he'll attempt high number of final passess (and something will land on McTominay leg), he will press multiple times (and sometimes we will win the ball). However, whenever this positive outcome doesn't happen, we either lose the ball (first scenario) or make it easy for the opposition to pass through our "pressing structure" (second scenario).

You can have a player like Bruno in the team but I keep saying you have to give him more freedom to operate high up the pitch, you can't make him second man in midfield, this is ridiculous.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He was really poor for me. Created two almost chances for Wigan with his god awful corners, constantly tried the stupid thing when a simple one would work (stepovers, backheels) and dove to 'earn' a penalty. He did finish that well. He's just so sloppy, which you'd expect to be getting better not worse at his age.

Also a highlight for me in the 80th minute, Wigan started to break from the right, ball and attacker moved through the centre circle in his direction, he just left them alone, allowing poor Mainoo to run about 50 yards, while Bruno strolled around. He's just not a midfielder.

Obviously if the team can carry him as a pure 10, fine, he'll create. But I think a more balanced 3 in midfield (and listen, he's obviously the second worst of the 3 in there tonight with the great Scottish disappearing act) would make us a better team, and hope the INEOS folk see it too.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yes! When it leads to a penalty - HELL YES!
Football is cynical as feck these days. I'd rather win some and lose some of these decisions than just lose and get nothing back.
But then why is it a disgrace when players from opposition teams do the same?

Bruno is a great player for us but has an utterly unlikeable personality on the pitch. Not only his diving and feigning of injury, but his petulance.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He just needs a better functioning midfield so he can concentrate on just being the provider having him and the Jogging waste up there winds me up.
He himself is a big part of the dysfunctional midfield. This is what you get with Fernandes, warts and all.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I haven't been wowed by Bruno in a very long time. If we had any decent alternatives I'd suggest his spot should be up for grabs.

Stadjer

I dont like it and his acting before the penalty is quite annoying and ugly to see. Unfortunatly it has been part of football for a very long time now. Players need to sell fouls or referees wont give a penalty even if the foul is real.

simplyared

He's still on another level than anyone else. Yes he's not had the same consistency this season but I'm bloody thankful we've got him. Someone should start a Bruno appreciation thread!

NZT-One

He's still on another level than anyone else. Yes he's not had the same consistency this season but I'm bloody thankful we've got him. Someone should start a Bruno appreciation thread!
Thank god. Finally a place for positivity. Please, Scandi and 07, feel free to drop the Statman Dave and magnifico tweets with the billions of key passes there. Looking forward to read them there.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Thank god. Finally a place for positivity. Please, Scandi and 07, feel free to drop the Statman Dave and magnifico tweets with the billions of key passes there. Looking forward to read them there.
I knew very little about Statman Dave before I entered this forum but the fact that he irritates certain posters, for daring to tweet stats that paint Bruno in a positive light, means he's gained an extra follower. It's a pleasant rarity in the cesspit of negativity that is the United fanbase on social media.

massey

He himself is a big part of the dysfunctional midfield. This is what you get with Fernandes, warts and all.
I don't disagree it's just i'd rather him be up there providing and not running around like a headless chicken because the midfield is overun every game he will give ball away but do far more up there behind a more solid foundation than the hide and seek champion.

caid

But then why is it a disgrace when players from opposition teams do the same?

Bruno is a great player for us but has an utterly unlikeable personality on the pitch. Not only his diving and feigning of injury, but his petulance.
I dont think it is, its just part of the game. I mean they're the opposition, hating them is kind of encouraged but it wouldn't bother me much
There was a time it annoyed me and i would have agreed with you but thats 20 years ago or something now. FIFA / UEFA / the FA's failure to address how common, frequent and advantageous it was then just led to it being a standard part of the game to the point where you wont get a free without making a song and dance about every contact. If Bruno didn't go down there i'd call him a naive idiot and be annoyed at him to be honest.
Manufacturing contact with a dive i'd be a lot more critical of. The referee and VAR really should catch it 99% of the time and you should get booked for it. But then no one ever gets booked for diving and referee's are pretty bad and var usually wont overrule them so even that doesn't really hold up. Bruno didn't manufacture contact so it's irrelevant regardless.
I dont even think it was a dive in this case. Slowing it down to one tenth of the speed makes it looks soft but still pretty clear cut.

Alemar

Another positive no one mentioned was execution of the penalty: he discontinued his pre-shot jumping

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I dont think it is, its just part of the game. I mean they're the opposition, hating them is kind of encouraged but it wouldn't bother me much
There was a time it annoyed me and i would have agreed with you but thats 20 years ago or something now. FIFA / UEFA / the FA's failure to address how common, frequent and advantageous it was then just led to it being a standard part of the game to the point where you wont get a free without making a song and dance about every contact. If Bruno didn't go down there i'd call him a naive idiot and be annoyed at him to be honest.
Manufacturing contact with a dive i'd be a lot more critical of. The referee and VAR really should catch it 99% of the time and you should get booked for it. But then no one ever gets booked for diving and referee's are pretty bad and var usually wont overrule them so even that doesn't really hold up. Bruno didn't manufacture contact so it's irrelevant regardless.
I dont even think it was a dive in this case. Slowing it down to one tenth of the speed makes it looks soft but still pretty clear cut.
It's one of those cases where it isn't a dive but the contact still wasn't enough to bring him down.

But you are right that it's now a standard part of the game so do point complaining about it. It does make the game less fun to watch though because you know you're being cheated if the opposition does this but it's now accepted. It's something referees can easily take out as well by not giving these penalties anymore, but maybe we are beyond the point of no return in this regard.

NZT-One

I knew very little about Statman Dave before I entered this forum but the fact that he irritates certain posters, for daring to tweet stats that paint Bruno in a positive light, means he's gained an extra follower. It's a pleasant rarity in the cesspit of negativity that is the United fanbase on social media.
I think the guy became a more prominent figure for United during Oles reign. At least, I wasn't aware of him earlier. I think, before he posted about every team but around that time, it became a thing that he seemed to be a United supporter. I think, he is somehow connected to the club already. I'd say that is connected with his very favourably tweets most of the time. Not just about Bruno. But before you start, I know, that could also be my bias doing a bit of work.

Just fyi, I initially liked him but at some point I felt he was looking for something good to tweet about which, for me, took a bit of the neutral-aspect away. Pretty sure, you won't learn anything new about football following the guy. But he does some interesting scouting videos from time to time.

klayton88

If anybody has been watching Fool Me Once on Netflix, the girls football team coach is a double of an older Bruno, he's a more likeable character too...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Can we never talked about these kind of stats again?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
yeah saw that. Its....pretty damning. (not on Bruno but on United as a team)
Yup. And I doubt he’s a close second.

It really is crazy how Bruno has consistently been our only attacking players capable of creating chances on a regular basis.

And our second most creative player is a lazy, poorly disciplined waste of space who is a total defensive liability.

Lyng

Yup. And I doubt he’s a close second.

It really is crazy how Bruno has consistently been our only attacking players capable of creating chances on a regular basis.

And our second most creative player is a lazy, poorly disciplined waste of space who is a total defensive liability.
The last few games we have seen glimpses of how we should play. One - two - touch passing between Bruno, Rashford, Garnacho and Højlund. Incidentally the few times we have seen it it ends in a shot or a goal.
We need to do much more of that. We desperately need to focus on midfielders behind those 4 that can do that.

Wilt

Take the captaincy off him ….useless captain think he’d play better without it

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Screaming at team mates and the referee = passion and leadership

Screaming at team mates and the referee and raising your arm = weak and disgusting

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not anything based on the game today, but we would be fools to not sell him this summer. Last chance to get a decent fee, he's on the way down.