2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Remember the geese

fecking hilarious that people are calling for our and by a country mile, our best player, to leave the club . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our fanbase doesn’t deserve nice things.
Of course he should be sold. In September 2025, he'll be 31 years old, with his contract due to expire at the end of that season. Sooner or later we will be in a position where we'll have to offer him a new 3/4 year deal on big wages, or sell. Pretty obvious what needs to be done, just a case of whether the club want to sell this summer or next.

Last edited:

M16Red

Go and get Eze, who is comfortably better at football anyway. And I accept, I haven’t read their respective Opta profiles, but I think anyone who watches them for a few minutes can tall Eze is a better footballer.
Have you watched much of palace?, he had a good full season last season - but Eze is injured almost every time I've watched them or just coming back from injury.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted us to sign him when he played for QPR.

Ludens the Red

Of course he should be sold. In September 2025, he'll be 31 years old, with his contract due to expire at the end of that season. Sooner or later we will be in a position where we'll have to offer him a new 3/4 year deal on big wages, or sell. Pretty obvious what needs to be done, just a case of whether the club want to sell this summer or next.
Yup, and the club needs to ask itself. Is it worth keeping Bruno beyond that period? And the time to sell would be the upcoming summer where his stock is at a decent place.
He was a fantastic player for us between 2019 and 2021 but he most certainly hasn’t been our best player the last two seasons, not even close to being.

He’s run his course at the club and like Sir Alex did on many occasion we need to let Bruno go despite him being one of our better players.
His petulance and his all round kamikaze style of play doesn’t fit in with where we need to be long term. We gradually need to move away from players like him and Rashford to become a more controlling AND physically dominating team.
Some of the people in here who come in and run down the posters who share this opinion seem to think Bruno is literally the elite standard of attacking midfield players. They should be assured that there are a plethora of extremely talented attacking midfielders outside of the PL. Sometimes you have to make a brave decision when rebuilding and that includes getting rid of one of your most influential players if it’s for the long term greater good which ridding ourselves of Bruno is.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He's the very definition of an early 2000s "lads, it's Tottenham" player. Weak as piss, poor mentality and someone you'd see on MOTD playing a few good passes every other week.

Remember the geese

Yup, and the club needs to ask itself. Is it worth keeping Bruno beyond that period? And the time to sell would be the upcoming summer where his stock is at a decent place.
He was a fantastic player for us between 2019 and 2021 but he most certainly hasn’t been our best player the last two seasons, not even close to being.

He’s run his course at the club and like Sir Alex did on many occasion we need to let Bruno go despite him being one of our better players.
His petulance and his all round kamikaze style of play doesn’t fit in with where we need to be long term. We gradually need to move away from players like him and Rashford to become a more controlling AND physically dominating team.
Some of the people in here who come in and run down the posters who share this opinion seem to think Bruno is literally the elite standard of attacking midfield players. They should be assured that there are a plethora of extremely talented attacking midfielders outside of the PL. Sometimes you have to make a brave decision when rebuilding and that includes getting rid of one of your most influential players if it’s for the long term greater good which ridding ourselves of Bruno is.
Agree with every word. The optimum time to sell is obviously as soon as possible. As you've said, his stock is at a decent place and he has a couple of years left on his contract. However, I don't anticipate the club selling him this summer. I assume they won't deem it to be a priority, whilst they focus on shifting more 'obvious' players out of the club. In this event, I can only hope that this is the reason that prolongs his stay, as opposed to some inherent belief in his abilities as a footballer. Same goes for Rashford, as you have mentioned.

I look forward to the day where we can play as a team, whilst placing huge value in possession and control.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Heard that one before. When people argued against Grealish and were happy to sign van de beek. People should be careful what they're wishing for.

Bruno is never ever injured. Team should be build around him and Rashford. United should bring in a coach who can do that if Ten Hag is unable. The financial hit United would take if they sell Bruno today isn't worth it. Sancho, Antony, these two are alot worse than Bruno despite spending big money on them.

AndySmith1990

Heard that one before. When people argued against Grealish and were happy to sign van de beek. People should be careful what they're wishing for.

Bruno is never ever injured. Team should be build around him and Rashford. United should bring in a coach who can do that if Ten Hag is unable. The financial hit United would take if they sell Bruno today isn't worth it. Sancho, Antony, these two are alot worse than Bruno despite spending big money on them.
No sane person would ever want to build a team around Bruno and Rashford

LordSpud

fecking hilarious that people are calling for our and by a country mile, our best player, to leave the club . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our fanbase doesn’t deserve nice things.
Nah just your standards have dropped in line with what we have become over the past 10 years. He's dogshit, petulant and plays brainless football.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
what top attribute he has as a No 10 apart from being a great chance creator and he has good defensive workrate?
He is bad at shielding the ball, driving the ball forward, dictating tempo, and now even scoring goals
He is not even a good "passer" with his poor passing accuracy. His set pieces are very bad as well.
So our best player is sitting on the bench at City, Madrid, Barca, maybe Arsenal and Liverpool?....but he's untouchable. Feck off....plenty talent out there that United can still attract that would suit this side more than he can. Players who don't Lampard the ball hoping for a miracle deflection or wishing something to happen. Your mentality is why there is so much deadwood at this club. We all just assume these players are world class and can't be touched or replaced. Same goes for Rashford. Yeah he's only 29 but he needs to go if we get a decent offer. I'm afraid he won't leave this summer as we need to replace other postions but it should be on the books.

I saw Bruno being compared to Zidane going to Madrid at age 29 :lol:.....Bruno flew to France yesterday after the match to give Zidane a hand job. That's about as much comparison we need between those two.
Nah just your standards have dropped in line with what we have become over the past 10 years. He's dogshit, petulant and plays brainless football.
If my standards have dropped, fecking hell, what is this then? & bloody hilarious that this forum thinks anything over 30 is approaching the graveyard. Good lord almighty.

Remember the geese

If my standards have dropped, fecking hell, what is this then? & bloody hilarious that this forum thinks anything over 30 is approaching the graveyard. Good lord almighty.
You have to ask yourself whether in a year's time it would be prudent to offer Bruno a new three or four year deal on what would presumably be similar or improved terms. Alternatively, we could aim to sell him for a fairly significant fee. For me, it's a pretty obvious decision.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Not the graveyard but Bruno for all his ''çhances created medals'' isnt producing the goods for a top 4 side anymore.

He was good in 20/21, reasonable in 19/20 and 21/22 but after that he is sliding down. Not outrageous but also not top, top material. A steady top 6 player is what id call him today.

If that is where United is aming at, fine but if we want to knock City, LFC off their perch, well..

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premi...s//galerie/0?saison_id=2020&altersklasse=alle

I do think Ten Hag created a problem with making him captain. Id keep Bruno as a bench player, a 2nd option, a carabao cup game kind of rotation number 10 to make him fight for his position. But as captain, that option is gone. He needs to be shipped out or given a new contract.

JeffFromHK

I feel like I am on Twitter when I see a poster here thinking he "gotcha!" my "He is not good at anything else apart from being a great chance creator and have good defensive workrate" comment with statistics about chance creation

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
All I'll say to those chance creation stats is look at Bournemouth at home.

Humbled 3-0, the team created nothing all day but what did the stats twats on Twitter say? He created 6 chances.

Internet stats mean nothing. The same happened when everyone lost their mind about Doku dribbling past Alexander Arnold 7 times in the first half of City/Liverpool.

Someone after the match posted a video of every time they faced off in that half. Doku beat him in a dribble cleanly once. 5 times he was forced to go down the outside, stop and either go backwards or pass it back.

Stop getting your knowledge from gimps on Twitter. Use your fecking eyes. Bruno is shit and the main reason we play chaos ball.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

119 chances is absolutely insane. Number that seems unbelievable even in a video game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It was the wrong decision from the manager to make him a focal point, he only brings more chaos to a team that is struggling to have any sort of control.

Robbie Boy

No disagreement there. His end-product has been far below par. But you have to admit that it's much easier to create chances and assists in a team that attacks well.
Some of the players on that list aren't even their teams designated creator. We have given Bruno this bizarre role in which he has licence to do as he pleases and his output doesn't warrant him having that kind of freedom.

When he was putting up decent numbers you could defend his glaring deficiencies. When he's not putting up decent numbers, he's very hard to defend.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I feel like I am on Twitter when I see a poster here thinking he "gotcha!" my "He is not good at anything else apart from being a great chance creator and have good defensive workrate" comment with statistics about chance creation
All I'll say to those chance creation stats is look at Bournemouth at home.

Humbled 3-0, the team created nothing all day but what did the stats twats on Twitter say? He created 6 chances.

Internet stats mean nothing. The same happened when everyone lost their mind about Doku dribbling past Alexander Arnold 7 times in the first half of City/Liverpool.

Someone after the match posted a video of every time they faced off in that half. Doku beat him in a dribble cleanly once. 5 times he was forced to go down the outside, stop and either go backwards or pass it back.

Stop getting your knowledge from gimps on Twitter. Use your fecking eyes. Bruno is shit and the main reason we play chaos ball.
& yet if we put the ball in the net more often he’d be lauded

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Some of the players on that list aren't even their teams designated creator. We have given Bruno this bizarre role in which he has licence to do as he pleases and his output doesn't warrant him having that kind of freedom.
Again no disagreement. But there has to be a reason for why Bruno is given this freedom. It is because he is one of our best players. But even a good player will struggle in an already struggling team. And Bruno is not our only "panic option". McTominay has become Fellaini 2.0. I get PTSD every time he comes on as a substitute and we're chasing a goal. You can't argue against it helping us of course, but it's indicative of a team that can't play football. The fact that Bruno is given this extreme level of freedom means that we can't play good football. And I doubt that he himself is overly happy this.

When he was putting up decent numbers you could defend his glaring deficiencies. When he's not putting up decent numbers, he's very hard to defend.
I personally think that Bruno's deficiencies are very exaggerated in here, but I don't have time for that discussion again. I also suspect that things would be far worse if Bruno wasn't given freedom or was benched. We are not good enough as a team.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You watch those performances and still come up with those useless pointless stats to suggest he is not a problem.

I would like to know these people even watch football or just keep refreshing opta stats every 5 seconds.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have you watched much of palace?, he had a good full season last season - but Eze is injured almost every time I've watched them or just coming back from injury.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted us to sign him when he played for QPR.
I do try to watch Palace whenever I see him and/or Olise in the starting lineup to be fair (as I do with Everton and Branthwaite/Onana) and he’s a game changing player IMO, although I suspect that the fact that he still often ends up on the losing side causes it to go a little unnoticed.

His injuries are a concern, although I don’t really know how to approach things like that. Hard to differentiate between bad luck and injury proneness. I wouldn’t describe Martinez as injury prone for example. He’s been injured a lot of late though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Before Rashford, Martial, Eriksen, Donny, Mctom? No way.
This deflection thing is surely a but tired now. There are a section of posters who come into a thread on Bruno’s performances and their only response is ‘what about McTominay?’. Is there anyone here realistically advocating for Van de fecking Beek or Martial to get new deals or something? It’s not a race to the bottom, we are talking about Bruno. I’m sure if you go into the VDB or Rashford thread, you will also find that it isn’t filled with praise.

NZT-One

This team is built around him and Rashford. What more do you expect? Oles football was also catered to those two. Yet it sucked and it didn't bring good enough results. You make the mistake of taking each their best possible form and tell yourself that this is the norm but it isn't.

I personally think that Bruno's deficiencies are very exaggerated in here, but I don't have time for that discussion again. I also suspect that things would be far worse if Bruno wasn't given freedom or was benched. We are not good enough as a team.
If we would play like recently and with ETH in his current state of mind things would most likely be worse without Bruno, I agree. But many people, when they criticize Bruno, ask for a different approach on top of a different player. And every manager has/had a tough choice because the idea of "Bruno hitting it long to Rashford" isn't a bad plan in itself. It becomes a problem when that is all you can do. In every match. I think, under ETH this tendency is going into the right direction but certainly not as fast or direct as many on here wish. Part of me is happy that more people see the downsides of him as of late but on the same hand, I think, he gets a little too much flack. I mean, it isn't his fault, that some of the attempts of club and manager to move away from him being the sole creator have failed as badly as they did. Martials downward spiral, Greenwood situation, Sancho flop, Antony not hitting the ground running, Mount injury ridden. There were a few attempts to broaden our arsenal but they have all failed. Therefor, Bruno is a bit unlucky in this regard because he is now the epicenter of attention.

But no matter of all that - as somebody posted above, the guy is approaching 30, his contract is coming to an end. If we want to be a big club, we have to make hard decisions. And that means, at least for me, we definitely have to try to cash in when possible. Because the money we bring in will be of more use for the future than Bruno.

RedDevil@84

This deflection thing is surely a but tired now. There are a section of posters who come into a thread on Bruno’s performances and their only response is ‘what about McTominay?’. Is there anyone here realistically advocating for Van de fecking Beek or Martial to get new deals or something? It’s not a race to the bottom, we are talking about Bruno. I’m sure if you go into the VDB or Rashford thread, you will also find that it isn’t filled with praise.
I think the point was do we need to get rid of Bruno before getting rid of all the other folks mentioned.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think the point was do we need to get rid of Bruno before getting rid of all the other folks mentioned.
Again, it’s not a competition. It’s a pointless debate of who the worst player in our squad is. If fans agree that Van de Beek, Martial and Bruno need to go, what is this thing about who ‘needs to go first’? They are all on the chop list. If a bid comes in for Sancho before one comes in for VDB, do you reject it because the bids haven’t come in the correct order?

A conversation about Bruno is a conversation about Bruno. This idea that we have worse players than him is a red herring and deflection tactic.

RedDevil@84

A conversation about Bruno is a conversation about Bruno. This idea that we have worse players than him is a red herring and deflection tactic.
Only if you believe it is easy to overhaul the entire team without needing to prioritize. Doesn't work like that in a practical world.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
If we would play like recently and with ETH in his current state of mind things would most likely be worse without Bruno, I agree. But many people, when they criticize Bruno, ask for a different approach on top of a different player. And every manager has/had a tough choice because the idea of "Bruno hitting it long to Rashford" isn't a bad plan in itself. It becomes a problem when that is all you can do. In every match. I think, under ETH this tendency is going into the right direction but certainly not as fast or direct as many on here wish. Part of me is happy that more people see the downsides of him as of late but on the same hand, I think, he gets a little too much flack. I mean, it isn't his fault, that some of the attempts of club and manager to move away from him being the sole creator have failed as badly as they did. Martials downward spiral, Greenwood situation, Sancho flop, Antony not hitting the ground running, Mount injury ridden. There were a few attempts to broaden our arsenal but they have all failed. Therefor, Bruno is a bit unlucky in this regard because he is now the epicenter of attention.
I think the problem more than anything (from a Bruno point of view) is that he hasn't really enjoyed the luxury of being a part of a fully functioning team. Last season he only had Rashford and Casemiro (when he wasn't suspended) performing well around him. This season he's literally had no one bar Garnacho very occasionally. Mainoo and Højlund have stepped up recently and allowed Bruno to take more of a backseat role, but it's too little too late. Rashford is still a big problem and Casemiro has aged 10 years during his injury spell.

There are arguably 3 versions of "Good Bruno":

1. Portugal Bruno
An actual star. He does everything. He even occasionally dribbles and scores from a distance, which blows my mind.

2. The first 1.5 seasons under Ole
Chaotic, but deadly. Perfect for that style of football.

3. Ten Hag's first season
Drops deeper, defends fairly well and is more involved in the build up.

I think number 3 is a little under-appreciated in here and I think he would work really well in a functioning attacking setup. But the question is if we will get to see it. I got my fingers crossed for next season.

But no matter of all that - as somebody posted above, the guy is approaching 30, his contract is coming to an end. If we want to be a big club, we have to make hard decisions. And that means, at least for me, we definitely have to try to cash in when possible. Because the money we bring in will be of more use for the future than Bruno.
If we were a top team playing top football then I would maybe agree, but as things stand now we don't have that luxury. If I were to make a list ranging from "keep" to "sell" then it would look something like this:

1. Mainoo
2. Højlund
3. Garnacho
4. Martinez
5. Bruno
6. Shaw
7. Dalot
8. Mount *
9. Onana *

* not happy at all, but I need to see more.

The first 3 aren't better than Martinez and Bruno, but they all have great potential so I've put them at the top. Shaw is good but his injuries annoy me to no end. Dalot is a bit of a steady eddy, but he still has time to improve.

Everyone else could honestly be sold as far as I'm concerned. But we need an actual squad (not to mention a starting eleven), so that's obviously not gonna happen.

Last edited:

miliebrowndivorceattorney

3. Ten Hag's first season
Drops deeper, defends fairly well and is more involved in the build up.

I think number 3 is a little under-appreciated in here and I think he would work really well in a functioning attacking setup. But the question is if we will get to see it. I got my fingers crossed for next season.
He played a few times next to Eriksen in this role but I found it very unconvincing. He cant tackle, and he cant do long passing very well. He is good at crosses close to the box but the further away, the less oversight.

My main gripe, however, is his lack of edge-of-the-box, number 10 goals. As you say, he does it in Portugal. Last saturday he was in several positions to do so but often his effort goes over, goes wide or straight at the keeper. In short, no 240.000 pound per week production. Blame Ten Hag all you want but Bruno is plenty in such psitions. I think he even has a license to roam as he pleases.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think the problem more than anything (from a Bruno point of view) is that he hasn't really enjoyed the luxury of being a part of a fully functioning team. Last season he only had Rashford and Casemiro (when he wasn't suspended) performing well around him. This season he's literally had no one bar Garnacho very occasionally. Mainoo and Højlund have stepped up recently and allowed Bruno to take more of a backseat role, but it's too little too late. Rashford is still a big problem and Casemiro has aged 10 years during his injury spell.
Last season Martinez, Varane, Shaw, Garnacho in addition to Casemiro and Rashford all played well. Bruno did not play well for the majority of the games.

This season he’s literally had no one? Is he not responsible for his own performances? He’s been utterly dreadful, as he was under Ole/Ragnick two seasons ago. Maguire, Varane, Shaw, Garnacho, Højlund, Mainoo have all performed admirably. In fact the better argument is that Hojlund and Garnacho have managed to perform despite Bruno’s performances.

Why are you blaming everyone else for a player who hasn’t played consistently well for over three years? Probably the wrong poster to ask to be fair since you’ve already named him as your player of the season for this season. Bizarre.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Only if you believe it is easy to overhaul the entire team without needing to prioritize. Doesn't work like that in a practical world.
Nor do you get to pick the order in which your players for sale are sold.