Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

DWelbz19

True, but if you tweak it to per 90 minutes he doesn't make the top 5. Probably not even top 10 or 15, but it's hard to say without access to the same tool.
13th per 90. Eriksen is also top 10!

Just proves what we know, though. We have a horrifically imbalanced midfield. Mainoo is the only true no.8 and he’s a kid.

DWelbz19

MacAllister gets dribbled past far more often, they have two in the top 10 also, it’s an odd stat because I don’t see it affecting Liverpool so much.
It definitely is a problem for Liverpool, their midfield balance is also a bit crap. I don’t rate Szoboszlai at all, and Endo could obviously be improved upon. I think they just (obviously) mitigate it better than us.

KeanoMagicHat

The question is, is this really going to work in 2024 anymore. The whole idea of having a ten who is then supported by a double pivot isn't the most recent and many sides move away from it. Also, Bruno for all his qualities misses a few key skills for that position, i.e. dribbling and touch. Putting a double pivot behind makes us a good team in theory when we would still be in the year 2014-2016. These days, probably not so much anymore. Also, it isn't like we weren't there before - we all remember the talks about him making Oles 4-2-3-1 look like a 4-2-0-4.
It would have been good to see him play as a proper 10 without a midfield of McTominay and Fred behind him.

You claimed I lied. I didn't. And I never talked about per 90.
You did as he’s not even number one if you stupidly want to mislead people by doing total dribbles and ignore when one player has played much more than others.

So yeah, you lied however you paint it. You got mislead by an old, misleading stat and posted it here as fact.

Dr Foo

We need to first decide what kind of Football needs to played by United to eventually compete for biggest trophies and then bring in the players to make that happen .

As things stand Summer might be only time where we might recoup any significant fee for Bruno So I'll want United to take that opportunity and make a clean break .
That’s fair. If we have identified superior replacements that we can bring in, by all means. My point is that we have so many areas that need fixing, with limited funds, there appears to be other areas of priority

Lyng

You did as he’s not even number one if you stupidly want to mislead people by doing total dribbles and ignore when one player has played much more than others.

So yeah, you lied however you paint it. You got mislead by an old, misleading stat and posted it here as fact.
He was number one then. Now in the meantime he slipped one place. Wow such lies.
I didn't get mislead. He was the most and is still one of the most dribbled past players in the league. Now to somehow call me a lier you start talking about per 90. I never did.
Get a grip you are acting like an angry Karen whose son didn't get the praise she thinks he deserves.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is not that far behind even per 90 minutes, which is not surprise considering his style of play. Some laughed when I said he is running like a headless chicken more often than not, and that is clear in most of games. Whether he can be directly blamed for that or not is another argument, because it seems that our manager is obviously encouraging it.

What I find it weird is that people can't see it, often he looks very tired in duels after that and he gets pushed off the ball very easily many times throughout the game because he spends his energy chasing shadows and not defending smart way at all, and he cost us many times in the past two seasons because of that. Again, I am not sure you can directly blame him for that because it looks clueless tactics rather than his decision.

Lyng

I somehow want the stat to be representative and not stupidly misleading, what a Karen :lol:
It's hardly misleading that our midfielders are so present in those lists.
One final time. I AM NOT BLAMING BRUNO.
Eriksen has hardly featured and is high in that list which points towards a very serious issue with our setup.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I'm having a lot of fun with the statistics tool posted above. A few interesting findings:

- If we exclude wingers and center forwards, only Palmer has more goal contributions than Bruno.
- If we exclude goalkeepers, only 4 players have played more minutes than Bruno.
- Probably not a surprise, but Bruno leads in total key passes even this season. Adjusted per 90 minutes he's 5th.

It's hardly misleading that our midfielders are so present in those lists.
One final time. I AM NOT BLAMING BRUNO.
Why do you keep repeating this mate? I’ve not once claimed you blame Bruno?

I’ve argued he absolutely was not “awful” in the first 30 minutes yesterday and I’ve argued that a dribbled past stat is a) incorrect and b) very misleading.

No extreme views there.

He is not that far behind even per 90 minutes, which is not surprise considering his style of play. Some laughed when I said he is running like a headless chicken more often than not, and that is clear in most of games.
He’s 0.43 behind top 5, but also 0.43 from not even being in the top 35, so not entirely sure of your point here?
There isn’t much really separating 7 - 50.

Strachan8

Bruno has taken a lot of stick for not being a ‘true’ United captain. However, he creates/scores match winning goals even this season when he has been below par. He also tries to support team mates by passing on penalties (twice to help Rashford) and shifting his position (wide or deep) at the manager’s request. By comparison, Rashford‘s play is selfish and unflexible.

Lyng

Why do you keep repeating this mate? I’ve not once claimed you blame Bruno?

I’ve argued he absolutely was not “awful” in the first 30 minutes yesterday and I’ve argued that a dribbled past stat is a) incorrect and b) very misleading.

No extreme views there.
You don't find it concerning that so many of our midfielders are so high in that list? Especially some like Bruno and Case who are known for their defensive qualities?

Red-17

MacAllister gets dribbled past far more often, they have two in the top 10 also, it’s an odd stat because I don’t see it affecting Liverpool so much.
Because getting mad that a high pressing attacking midfielder gets dribbled by frequently is asinine. If you want someone to take risks and try and win the ball back, which the manager clearly does, then he will inevitably get it wrong or gamble sometimes and get dribbled by. Casemiro being in that list is the far more concerning statistic.

NZT-One

It would have been good to see him play as a proper 10 without a midfield of McTominay and Fred behind him.
Definitely. In theory a midfield of Mainoo and Casemiro behind him sounds not too shabby. But we have to keep in mind that the current trend in football is stacking the midfield with players. Be that inverted fullbacks or charging CBs. On the ball, Bruno has a lot of valuable qualities. Against the ball unfortunately not so much. Even though he admittedly is busy a lot.

I also don't really get some of the arguments here. Obviously the United attack is not doing well. And hasn't for quite some time. Thats obviously not on Bruno exclusively. It just shows that many teams can do way better even without a player who, statswise, seems to contribute so much. Right now we are the 10th best team in terms of goals score. 12th best team in terms of xG (based on understat). The whole comparing him to Mount or McTominay or whatever gives us nothing as we aren't competing with make-belief teams consisting our own players. We have to compare it to the teams we are up against and right now, our xG of around 50 is closer to Sheffield in the last place (32) than it is to Liverpool (75). Even Chelsea, for all their woes, are sitting at 62. The teams attacking output has been bad for years and Bruno is one of the main protagonists in there.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wish people stopped taking this dribbled past stat seriously.

E-mal

Bruno has taken a lot of stick for not being a ‘true’ United captain. However, he creates/scores match winning goals even this season when he has been below par. He also tries to support team mates by passing on penalties (twice to help Rashford) and shifting his position (wide or deep) at the manager’s request. By comparison, Rashford‘s play is selfish and unflexible.
He is one of the reasons we cant keep the ball.
Our front three, him and Casemiro treat the ball poorly

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He’s 0.43 behind top 5, but also 0.43 from not even being in the top 35, so not entirely sure of your point here?
There isn’t much really separating 7 - 50.
He is 0,16 dribbles behind Eriksen per 90 minutes, which is enough itself to post without explaining it further.

But it's not exactly out of the world stat that I want to discuss further anyway, he's had a good game yesterday and doesn't deserve lot of criticism at the moment.

You don't find it concerning that so many of our midfielders are so high in that list? Especially some like Bruno and Case who are known for their defensive qualities?
Concerning of course but not surprising, we have so much distance between our players we are easily the most simple team to dribble past, even central midfielders can just Lee Sharpe it into an acre of space. That press high, defend low tactic leads to that.

Lyng

Concerning of course but not surprising, we have so much distance between our players we are easily the most simple team to dribble past, even central midfielders can just Lee Sharpe it into an acre of space. That press high, defend low tactic leads to that.
Then we actually agree.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'm having a lot of fun with the statistics tool posted above. A few interesting findings:

- If we exclude wingers and center forwards, only Palmer has more goal contributions than Bruno.
- If we exclude goalkeepers, only 4 players have played more minutes than Bruno.
- Probably not a surprise, but Bruno leads in total key passes even this season. Adjusted per 90 minutes he's 5th.
Did you adjust for penalty takers? Both those players have a high number of penalties to their name.

Pereira and Gross are ahead of him for key passes per 90.

Interesting also that he doesn’t feature in assists per 90, dribbles per 90, pass accuracy, he’s 45th for goals per 90, 14th most dribbled past player per 90. He doesn’t feature in duals won, interceptions, tackles for the running he’s credited for.

He basically has scored 5 goals from open play and 3 penalties and has 6 assists. Combined you can make that sound great, but per minute, the fact that he takes free kicks corners and penalties and doesn’t feature highly across the board For stats outside of ‘key passes’ doesn’t really mean anything other than he gives the ball away a lot trying difficult passes, takes all set pieces and ends up with decent but not great end product but had a good game for once yesterday.

Leethal

One of the few feckers amongst a sea of bellends that plays for the shirt and gives everything every game, only to be let down by the useless cnuts around him - and you lot lay into him.

Amazing really. And shows just how fecking clueless a lot of our fan base is in this social media stat driven climate we currently live in.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Wish people stopped taking this dribbled past stat seriously.
This. Unless the players are defenders / cdm i dont think these stats can be taken in face value. The fact our midfielders are there really speaks about eth crazy tactics rather than their individual skills

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His major floor is he isn't particularly great at keeping the ball, and I don't mean the fact he losses it often because he makes risky passes. I mean dribbling/keeping the ball under pressure to give more time/space for passes to develop
He is a very good player but if you want to be a possession based team not sure he works personally, not unless you add that profile to your team/midfield and other areas. I guess Mainoo helps but you need more

troylocker

Did you adjust for penalty takers? Both those players have a high number of penalties to their name.

Pereira and Gross are ahead of him for key passes per 90.

Interesting also that he doesn’t feature in assists per 90, dribbles per 90, pass accuracy, he’s 45th for goals per 90, 14th most dribbled past player per 90. He doesn’t feature in duals won, interceptions, tackles for the running he’s credited for.

He basically has scored 5 goals from open play and 3 penalties and has 6 assists. Combined you can make that sound great, but per minute, the fact that he takes free kicks corners and penalties and doesn’t feature highly across the board For stats outside of ‘key passes’ doesn’t really mean anything other than he gives the ball away a lot trying difficult passes, takes all set pieces and ends up with decent but not great end product but had a good game for once yesterday.
Let's break it down then,

Goals, creativity and goalthreat (non penalty):
Non penalty goals scored: 0,17/90
36 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
89 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Non penalty xG: 0,20/90
49 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
97 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Shots total: 2,73/90
78 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
99 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)

Assists: 0,22/90
67 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
92 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Expected assists xA: 0,36/90
96 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)

Goal threat: 0,57 npxG+A/90
87 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Shotcreatring actions: 6,02/90
96 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)

Number of passes: 59,35/90
72 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Passcompletion: 72,4%
30 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
5 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Heavily correlated with the below and the creativity numbers above:
Progressive passes: 7,89/90
98 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)

Tackles: 1,92/90
88 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
48 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Interceptions: 0,70/90
85 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
26 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Blocks: 1,33/90
84 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
61 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Clearances: 1,22/90
98 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
49 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)

He's a very rare player type. He plays as a very creative attacking midfielder, but covers the defensive ground of a central midfielder.
His low pass completion is a result of his creativite and progressive passing style, which comes with a lot higher risk than regular balldistribution. (KDB has 73,4% pass completion) Player with high progressive passing numbers always has low pass completion numbers. He is not a ballcarrier and has a very direct passing style.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Let's break it down then,

Goals, creativity and goalthreat (non penalty):
Non penalty goals scored: 0,17/90
36 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
89 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Non penalty xG: 0,20/90
49 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
97 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Shots total: 2,73/90
78 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)

Assists: 0,22/90
67 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Expected assists xA: 0,36/90

Goal threat: 0,57 npxG+A/90
87 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Shotcreatring actions: 6,02/90

Number of passes: 59,35/90
72 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Passcompletion: 72,4%
30 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
5 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Heavily correlated with the below and the creativity numbers above:
Progressive passes: 7,89/90

Tackles: 1,92/90
88 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
48 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Interceptions: 0,70/90
85 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
26 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Blocks: 1,33/90
84 percentile (vs. attacking mids and wingers in the top 5 leagues the last year)
61 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)
Clearances: 1,22/90
49 percentile (vs. midfielders in the top 5 leagues the last year)

He's a very rare player type. He plays as a very creative attacking midfielder, but covers the defensive ground of a central midfielder.
His low pass completion is a result of his creativite and progressive passing style, which comes with a lot higher risk than regular balldistribution. (KDB has 73,4% pass completion) Player with high progressive passing numbers always has low pass completion numbers. He is not a ballcarrier and has a very direct passing style.
Bruno is an attacking midfielder. I think even his defenders would agree. He rarely plays a traditional midfield role for whatever reason. I think it's because his limitations will be even more exposed in that position but I'm sure some will disagree. So lets look at those stats especially against attacking mids:

36th percentile in non penalty goals and 49th percentile in non penalty xg. Average at best

67th percentile in assists and 96th percentile in expected assists.

87th percentile in goal threat and 96th percentile in shot creating actions. Remember he takes all of our set pieces so these numbers are juiced up.

96th percentile in number of passes , 30th percentile in pass completion and 98th percentile in progressive passes. This actually correlates with the eye test. Bruno spams forward passes and has a terrible pass completion percentage.

His tackles, interceptions, blocks and clearances are good but that's not what he's in the team for. It's probably his best attribute apart from his availability which is he runs around a lot and helps out at the back quite a bit but this ignores problems that creates like vacating space and his lack of physicality in duels and getting run past easily. Still I think most appreciate his defensive effort.

So what you have is an energetic player who helps out defensively and takes all the set pieces and spams forward progressive passes but is not efficient or effective. Hardly this super number 10 worthy of adulation.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Criticise him all you want, but he never asks to come of like De Bruyne and Haaland did. He runs until the end even when he’s injured he carries on, he even changes position and plays in defence to help the team. Proper captain!!