Bruno Fernandes Out?

Glorio

So when Rooney did this he got slaughtered by the fans. Times have changed.
Of course they have. Then we could pretend that City wasn't looking like they were about to leave us in the dust.

Now they've done it, the regression is extensive, protracted, and clear for all to see. Everyone recognises that we're not a team that can currently offer titles to top players.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
You're starting to doubt that ten Hag will be sacked?
I dont doubt it, but I would say there is a remote chance he stays, I was TOLD it was all agreed and they have decided to move him on, thing is, its such a small circle and my mate is a bit of a wind up.

So when hes telling me these things he does it in a jokey way but hes very firm with it.

On Sat it was the first time i outright just asked him and he said "its impossible to look at the current situation and think he can stay" I pushed a bit more and asked if hes sure and he said "Im about their team alot and you hear things" so I dont doubt its happening but you never really know do you.

Fallon d'Floor

I dont doubt it, but I would say there is a remote chance he stays, I was TOLD it was all agreed and they have decided to move him on, thing is, its such a small circle and my mate is a bit of a wind up.

So when hes telling me these things he does it in a jokey way but hes very firm with it.

On Sat it was the first time i outright just asked him and he said "its impossible to look at the current situation and think he can stay" I pushed a bit more and asked if hes sure and he said "Im about their team alot and you hear things" so I dont doubt its happening but you never really know do you.
Fair enough. I'm sweating now. :lol:

GazTheLegend

It’s mad to me that some hate him and want him out.

Since he arrived on average he’s been our best player more often than not.

Yes he has some faults but who doesn’t? IMO he’s the very least of our problems. He speaks really well off the pitch and he fights for us on it.

You couldn’t really blame him if he decided to bugger off after being in such a chaotic environment for 4 years but no, he wants to stay still because he cares about this club.
You only have to look in the performances thread. People were arguing that we played better when he was out. Well he's missed like 2 games now and we look abysmal. He's a regular contributor to goals and assists in the toughest league, surrounding by players whose legs have gone, are mentally wibble, or are just starting out in their career. There's no other senior player in our squad that has EVER shown anywhere near what Bruno Fernandes does, with the possible - and intermittent - argument for Rashford (and in my controversial opinion, Maguire). We're relegation level without him.

Shinjch

He wouldn't be top of the list of my players to move towards the exit, but if a big money offer comes in then I think it needs to be considered as I don't think we have too many players who can command a fee that can help trigger a team/squad overhaul.

Scottynaldinho

I love Bruno but it is pretty obvious that his body is giving out at a very rapid rate. Now is the best time to sell him.

Guapa

Should have cashed in last year,too inconsistent.Clean sweep incoming hopefully.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
There's no other senior player in our squad that has EVER shown anywhere near what Bruno Fernandes does, with the possible - and intermittent - argument for Rashford (and in my controversial opinion, Maguire). We're relegation level without him.
You are.

talking robot

Who are you going to bring with 80 million to have a similar impact?
Two in their early 20’s. Bruno’s impact has dropped and will keep dropping, a bit like Casemeiro when we bought him. If we sell now we can rebuild, and even if he’s good, its not like Bruno has been raking in the trophies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Two in their early 20’s. Bruno’s impact has dropped and will keep dropping, a bit like Casemeiro when we bought him. If we sell now we can rebuild, and even if he’s good, its not like Bruno has been raking in the trophies.
1. Can you really get 80m from Bruno sale?
2. Who are these 2 great young players? Musiala? Wirtz? Pedri? Xavi Simons?
3. How can you convince them that Utd is the best sporting project for their career?

I am curious.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Liverpool have scored plenty of goals without a #10, Newcastle don’t have a #10 and seem to score 5 goals a week, City have their entire team bar Ederson in their opponent’s half so what is maybe a double 8 is sort of a double 10 there I guess. Butit isn’t mandatory, and I’ve seen years of poor possession and end to end games from us. Not just against the good teams, but against everyone. And when I say everyone, not even just in the PL. Any football team at any level, whether Championship, League One or League Two in the cups too.

For me, we would do well to change our approach as a team. Play higher, play more compact, recycle the ball better and add about 10% possession to our average at least. Chances will inevitably come when you are passing and moving at speed with several players in the opponent’s half/final third. We need to construct a team that gets more creation from wide and from full-back. Olise, for example, is an extremely productive winger, both in terms of goals and creativity, and can offer that without having to form part of the middle three. We can leave the middle three to dominate the ball. The better we can keep it and move it, the more we can keep coming back again and again with attacks. Our output and creativity absolutely doesn’t have to suffer without Bruno. Having a poorly set up team and y a player in there with the job to ‘create the chances’ is a recipe to nowhere anyway, as that player will almost certainly NEVER be able to create enough to justify a team being set up to have one player create the chances and win silverware. Even if they were really creative. They won’t create the 100 goals a season a winning team needs.

Get Olise in on the right, push the team up, maybe get Frimpong behind him, and have less creativity coming from your most forward 8 but a lot more control to ensure that the traffic keeps going one way and the team will be better for it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fair, @Rozay. You called this link a while ago in the season:
Still don’t think Bruno is the character to go to Saudi so early, but maybe dreams can be buy.

talking robot

1. Can you really get 80m from Bruno sale?
2. Who are these 2 great young players? Musiala? Wirtz? Pedri? Xavi Simons?
3. How can you convince them that Utd is the best sporting project for their career?

I am curious.
1) my original point was that at 80 million, id take that in a heart beat. for other prices i may not sell.
2) identifying targets isnt my job. but i think with smart people in place, 80 million can go a long way.
3) i dont think we’ll have problems attracting young talent if the ineos project is convincing. that depends on them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fair, @Rozay. You called this link a while ago in the season:
Still don’t think Bruno is the character to go to Saudi so early, but maybe dreams can be buy.
Tbh I’m more cynical than most when it comes to things like this. I think money is probably the most important factor for most footballers, and I don’t think it would even make Bruno of particularly questionable character if he didn’t turn down say 600k p/w or something. Although I do understand where you’re coming from.

But yes, I did think there could always be a potential Ronaldo angle with Al Nassr, and for a Portuguese player, personal persuasion from CR7 would be a lot to resist.

I also like the sound of ‘willing to pay WHATEVER IT TAKES’ too!

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He is nearly 30 and his only trophies are domestic cups. I'd be surprised I'd he went to Saudi. For all his faults he seems like somebody who wants to win the big trophies. If the likes of Bayern or Barca come calling I wouldn't begrudge him a move.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t even think the Bruno thing is particularly complicated. People make comparisons with Coutinho, but it’s the detail in that deal that is most important. Liverpool didn’t just sell Coutinho because it is apparently good practice to sell your best player when trying to build a team. It obviously isn’t. But you would note that Coutinho wasn’t simply replaced with a younger/cheaper version of himself. Liverpool went to 3 proper midfielders.

I’m not saying a team MUST have 3 midfielders. But I am saying that a team’s structure should be the product of a plan/vision as opposed to ‘these are the strengths of the players we have’. The talk has been about the likes of Ashworth and Wilcox creating a clearly defined way they want United to play. The outcome of that exercise cannot be what works best for Bruno Fernandes. If by coincidence, the vision DOES incorporate Bruno’s profile, then the decision to keep makes itself. If we are going a different way, then it doesn’t matter if a player who doesn’t fit also happens to be our ‘best player’. The decision should be led by our vision, so it is not outrageous at all to me to sell Bruno for big money if we want to play with 3 CMs long term, and it’s more ridiculous to put that on hold until Bruno has nothing left in the tank, especially when we are not even winning anything with Bruno anyway.

People were happy for years to sacrifice a De Gea that made incredible saves for the sole reason that their overall vision for the team included a different profile of goalkeeper. Wan-Bissaka and Maguire have extreme qualities in certain areas, but many want them to be replaced for reasons of profile. ‘Can’t play a high line’. ‘Not good enough in possession’. People need to be less precious regarding Bruno, these things do not mean that he isn’t a good player. It’s a specific assessment of qualities in the context of a team vision. Let’s start with that. If our plan is to sit deep and counter attack with fast forwards, then of course, keep Bruno. He’s the best you can get for that.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I don’t even think the Bruno thing is particularly complicated. People make comparisons with Coutinho, but it’s the detail in that deal that is most important. Liverpool didn’t just sell Coutinho because it is apparently good practice to sell your best player when trying to build a team. It obviously isn’t. But you would note that Coutinho wasn’t simply replaced with a younger/cheaper version of himself. Liverpool went to 3 proper midfielders.

I’m not saying a team MUST have 3 midfielders. But I am saying that a team’s structure should be the product of a plan/vision as opposed to ‘these are the strengths of the players we have’. The talk has been about the likes of Ashworth and Wilcox creating a clearly defined way they want United to play. The outcome of that exercise cannot be what works best for Bruno Fernandes. If by coincidence, the vision DOES incorporate Bruno’s profile, then the decision to keep makes itself. If we are going a different way, then it doesn’t matter if a player who doesn’t fit also happens to be our ‘best player’. The decision should be led by our vision, so it is not outrageous at all to me to sell Bruno for big money if we want to play with 3 CMs long term, and it’s more ridiculous to put that on hold until Bruno has nothing left in the tank, especially when we are not even winning anything with Bruno anyway.

People were happy for years to sacrifice a De Gea that made incredible saves for the sole reason that their overall vision for the team included a different profile of goalkeeper. Wan-Bissaka and Maguire have extreme qualities in certain areas, but many want them to be replaced for reasons of profile. ‘Can’t play a high line’. ‘Not good enough in possession’. People need to be less precious regarding Bruno, these things do not mean that he isn’t a good player. It’s a specific assessment of qualities in the context of a team vision. Let’s start with that. If our plan is to sit deep and counter attack with fast forwards, then of course, keep Bruno. He’s the best you can get for that.
If I could give this post a like I would do.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
He is nearly 30 and his only trophies are domestic cups. I'd be surprised I'd he went to Saudi. For all his faults he seems like somebody who wants to win the big trophies. If the likes of Bayern or Barca come calling I wouldn't begrudge him a move.
Agreed. This has Barca written all over it for me. Seems to be exactly the kind of transfer they d like and...unlike us, players on the "wrong" side of 30 seem to generally hold up better in La Liga.

Robbie Boy

He's easily worth 100m. I love when people severely under value our players :lol:
I love when people throw out £100m like it's just a regular thing clubs do. How many players do you think have ever moved for £100m or more? 9, ever. Unless you're talking about Euros, in that case it's 14.

FerociousCorgis

I love when people throw out £100m like it's just a regular thing clubs do. How many players do you think have ever moved for £100m or more? 9, ever. Unless you're talking about Euros, in that case it's 14.
i mean you do have to keep in mind inflation as well. Obviously nobody was going for 100 million 20 years ago.

Eplel

You got to take inflation into account.

Robbie Boy

i mean you do have to keep in mind inflation as well. Obviously nobody was going for 100 million 20 years ago.
You got to take inflation into account.
Yeah, but still, 100m is always thrown around like it happens everyday when it clearly doesn't. Bruno, at nearly 30, isn't someone we would be getting 100m for, it just isn't realistic. I'm guessing if, and it's a big if, we do sell him, it'll be for somewhere between 60m to 70m max (pounds).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah, but still, 100m is always thrown around like it happens everyday when it clearly doesn't. Bruno, at nearly 30, isn't someone we would be getting 100m for, it just isn't realistic. I'm guessing if, and it's a big if, we do sell him, it'll be for somewhere between 60m to 70m max (pounds).
It obviously depends on who we are selling him to. Do you think that if Ronaldo went to Bayern Munich he would be paid a salary of 250m or whatever?

led_scholes

A good player who always tries.
However, he has many flaws to his games, and in his playing character. He is not a world class player, and I wished we had another 2-3 leaders in our squad who could guide him.

We should be open to sell him. Ideally though, we should keep him one more year (it's not like we will aim for anything next year).

Robbie Boy

It obviously depends on who we are selling him to. Do you think that if Ronaldo went to Bayern Munich he would be paid a salary of 250m or whatever?
Who, outside of Saudi clubs, is paying 100m for a near 30 year old Bruno?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Who, outside of Saudi clubs, is paying 100m for a near 30 year old Bruno?
What is the point in asking ‘who outside of the clubs that would pay 100m for Bruno, will pay 100m for Bruno’? If you’re going to exclude the clubs who have been strongly linked with him who we know can and will pay big money, then yea - nobody.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
What is the point in asking ‘who outside of the clubs that would pay 100m for Bruno, will pay 100m for Bruno’? If you’re going to exclude the clubs who have been strongly linked with him who we know can and will pay big money, then yea - nobody.
If the rumor the reason Bruno wants to leave is true, why would he go to Saudi? It just doesn't add up. He won't have many option though. May be Inter or Bayern.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Just look at Bruno how people think he shouldn't be here next season is beyond me.

In an ideal world yes his age means last chance for a big fee but we can't let him go.