Bruno Fernandes Out?

Valencia Shin Crosses

I agree i wouldn't want us to spend 100m on him. But im not sure selling your best players for huge fee's is always a foolproof, great plan either. The only reason i'd consider it is because he could fetch a stupid, overpriced offer (ie 100m+).
I think in this case with the state of the club/squad, it's more beneficial to sell for a huge fee than keep him to get hopefully 2 more top level Bruno years where he's playing in a team that isn't really competing for anything and a manager that's looking to implement an entire new style.

If we were finishing 3rd or something just a few points behind Arsenal/City then obviously selling him is stupid but that isn't the case here. And it's a unique situation where there's probably only a short window going forward where his value will ever be this high again.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
We have been in 'transition' for 11 years. It's f'n ridiculous. If I was Bruno and I heard that Bayern were in for me I'd walk to Germany. We are not on their level, or anything close to their level.
I can see Rashford probably wants to leave as well regardless the fans opinion on him. He is basically on the same boat with Bruno.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It is Bruno who wants to leave, not the other way around.
Manchester United met Bruno Fernandes last week to discuss his future, with the club making clear they want him to stay and the midfielder expressing a desire to remain at Old Trafford, according to The Athletic.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah but there's no doubt they are a side worthy of being title challengers. In no small part because of Odegaard.

And if they weren't up against a financial doping monstrosity coached by the best manager in the world, they'd walk the league now and probably for the next couple of seasons.
Nevertheless, both players current highest placement in the league is 2nd. Odegaard being better than Fernandes or not isn’t why Arsenal are currently better. Bruno is probably our only top player at the moment in my opinion, Arsenal would be better if they had him in their squad 100%.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I understand this point. But the problem is the replacements are 1-2 good games per season.
What we should move away from. Even Rashford has been dragged to this group. Rashy used to score against City, Arsenal, Liverpool in high frequency but now he's a shadow of his former self.

Also another poster said, we will turn Mainoo into a substandard player, the United standard,within 18 months.
I do not know how Pep does it, but the maintaining of performance levels at absolute high levels is what we lack in players and in coaching.
Only Pre Ole we had a standard level of football and play in us, albeit a low standard. Mourinho and LvG had a standard of what to expect from their teams albeit it was a very poor level.

Since then, you can't tell the cut off point of our football. It's dire a week then Shaw-boatin next week.

Mourinho suffered only one 4-0 loss against Chelsea.
How many 4-goals have we suffered since 2018? Over 10, this will show you how our levels is not stagnant, not scalable, not sustainable.

This has been my main problem with us.

If I was Ratcliffe, first thing I do.

Is find a standard position of the team. I playing style, points, manager, even if it's position 4 or 5.

Then scale it up in 3 windows.

Problem now is, we are worse off that when ETH took over :D how comes? Because nothing is scalable in us. It's very frustrating

Antony is poorer than Greenwood
Casemiro is poorer than Matic
Eriksen is poorer than Pogba
Onana vs De Gea is still a debate here
Varane is leaving Lindelof and Maguire behind :D yet he was supposed to be their replacement.
Sancho is poorer than Antony, yet Antony is the poorest signing we've done in some time

How comes?

This should show you why we are in the state we are in.

What Arteta or Arsenal did is find the true position and state of the team. 8th position.

Then start scaling it up, season by season. There is no other way.

We first need to find the true position, play and status of the team. With this we need to bin some of these players who have been here for more than 3 years.

We need a team of Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund, Dalot, Licha, to find it's feet even if it's position 6.

Then we now fill up the spot, as we upgrade the team. But now we are at a risk of Mainoo Garnacho being frustrated and turning into a Rashford-esque.

Then it's a endless loop

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It’s mad to me that some hate him and want him out.

Since he arrived on average he’s been our best player more often than not.

Yes he has some faults but who doesn’t? IMO he’s the very least of our problems. He speaks really well off the pitch and he fights for us on it.

You couldn’t really blame him if he decided to bugger off after being in such a chaotic environment for 4 years but no, he wants to stay still because he cares about this club.

MadMike

I definitely want him to stay and we’ll be better off if he stays, but he also needs to want to stay.

It’s quite plausible that he doesn’t want to sit through yet another rebuild under yet another manager and to take a year out of European football while at his peak. If he wants to leave for a new challenge and someone brings a sizeable offer I can see why the board could be really tempted to let him go.

For one, he’s probably the only player in this squad worth a damn. So he could generate revenue for other purchases. And two, they might decide to bet on Mount and Amad for the #10 position next season. Mount and Bruno were always going to fight for the same position and one is 5 years younger than the other while also on a fresh deal.

Zoo

It’s good that he is challenging INEOS to make sure that the football side of things will be improved.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Even if you bring in Arteta Mkii or Emery it will take 3 to 4 years to rebuild. Does Bruno want to give his last 4 years at his top level in another rebuild?

MDFC Manager

Even if you bring in Arteta Mkii or Emery it will take 3 to 4 years to rebuild. Does Bruno want to give his last 4 years at his top level in another rebuild?
The way he plays, and the fact that he's captain, I'd say he'd be detrimental to any rebuild. I'd sell him for the right price

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The way he plays, and the fact that he's captain, I'd say he'd be detrimental to any rebuild. I'd sell him for the right price
What is the right price? He has high wages, has no resale value, no marketing power like Messi or CR7, and he only has 3 to 4 years left in him.

Kirk lazarus

Yet doesn’t encourage it for his national team.

Probably the most underrated player I can remember in all my time watching this club, and by some distance. Unbelievable looking at this thread how many can’t wait to see the back of our best player due to some nonsensical idea that he can’t play possession :houllier:

Ill start by saying he's a good player .
The premier League is a higher standard than what Portugal have come up against . I'm not saying he can't play possession . He just doesn't Instill it for us .
It will be interesting to see how he performs against the top international sides for Portugal , because I don't think they've met one yet . Morocco beat them in their last test .
There's 4 maybe at a reach 6 teams that can win the euros . Portugal are one of them, along with England , France , Germany , Spain and Belgium .
Those are the games to judge him in . Portugal against andorra tells us nothing .

Jacob

Think he needs to go. He's become a symbol or token of our failed era. Victim of circumstances.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
But surely he is one of the few proven quality players we have? We would be looking so thin if he goes.

Red Rash

I like Bruno as a player but I'd be fine if he leaves. He always puts in a lot of work and his goals/assists record is fantastic but I feel like his style of play is too chaotic and means we lose the ball a lot.

This season his general level of play has been poor in a lot of games. For the team if we can replace him with someone who is better at retaining possession I think we will improve.

That being said Bruno isn't the major issue and we need to revamp our defence, midfield and attack so if Bruno fits in with the plans for the future be wouldn't be my first choice to get sold. There are tons of players we need to shift before him.

noelyman

Yet doesn’t encourage it for his national team.

Probably the most underrated player I can remember in all my time watching this club, and by some distance. Unbelievable looking at this thread how many can’t wait to see the back of our best player due to some nonsensical idea that he can’t play possession :houllier:
Excellent post. It’s mind boggling to me how underrated he is. The minute he was sold, he’d go on and be the star man at another club and the Bruno out brigade would move onto a new scapegoat.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Florian Wirtz isn't going to be going to the 8th placed team in England anyway. Much more likely to end up at City when DeBruyne's motor gives out.

We are kidding ourselves if we think we can replace Bruno with similar quality. The team will have to be reshaped to accommodate his loss. Heaven knows how we will attract the requisite quality in our current shape.
We want to pair a 19 y.o. Neves with a 19 y.o. Mainoo in midfield, and expect them to play 50 games a season, and dominate Premier League midfield battle.

Last edited:

Kingofwinners

Bruno probably could play possession football but he doesn’t- even when we are trying to hold on to a lead. He can be very creative but he gives away a lot of balls with pass attempts that have a low chance of working.

Maybe in a better coached side he would look different- look how simple the Haaland goal was last night and commentators saying how many times they had seen the same move and pass from DeBruyne. It needed skill, was simple and effective and I could easily imagine Bruno doing the same thing if he had been at City.

But he’s not and his talent is wasted, worse it’s out of step with the team and is like having one rower in a team boat paddle faster than the others. The whole team would be better if he slowed to their pace but at his stage in his career and our stage in the rebuild this is pointless all round.

The right answer is to let him go to Germany, France or Italy etc. have a chance at winning something playing to his strengths and for us to get ourselves settled into a rebuild with money that won’t be available again.

I’m in the sell 10+ players, change the manager for anyone except Southgate and just start playing to a system that can work week in week out. I don’t expect much in the line of trophies next year.

Only caveat is I would love to have the new manager in asap and if they had a plan and style of play that would make Bruno or similar important then we should keep, but only if he fits the new managers long term game plan not the other way round. If the new manager is not here or Ten Hag still is then take the money but don’t let Ten Hag spend it.

Last edited:

JE-365

I can see Bayern wants Bruno to replace Muller. Bruno behind Kane with Musiala and Sane on the wing will be up there one of the best front four next season.

As someone who appreciate Bruno, he deserves to win major trophy.

If we end up selling Bruno, the aim is to use the money to rebuild the midfield and build it around Mainoo. Or sign Neves and build the midfield around Mainoo and Joao Neves.

Mainoo - DM - Neves. Then sign wingers who is creative, can create chances and make assists.

Uncle Mainoo

I don't disagree with that but by that same logic we would have to replace Rashford and maybe Garnacho as they don't look to create which feels like too much of a realistic outcome. I would personally move on Rashford before Bruno as I've seen evidence of Bruno playing a different way when surrounded by more patient players (For his NT)
We’ll balance is key. Having Rashford and Garnacho deployed as shoot first create later is fine if your other winger is creative focused and your midfielders like to recycle possession. ATM we everyone but Bruno first thought isn’t to bring others in (Antony just doesn’t count).

However to be fair he is very adaptable and if we had a striker who can lead the line appropriately and bring players in, whilst having an Olise. The left side of the attack would flourish and Bruno would flourish with G/A.

tomaldinho1

I never understand these stories. If Bruno/his agent go speak to Ineos they aren't exactly going to tell him they aren't ambitious.

For all we know, they plan to become a selling club who fight for top four - that's likely the best business model out there - but they won't be telling players that.

mustaine

So when Rooney did this he got slaughtered by the fans. Times have changed.
Well, Rooney asked to leave and wanted to go to City (which he denied 10 years later and said he wanted Barca but that City link was heavily reported at the time and they were interested)... That's a bit different than asking the club if they have ambitions that mirror his.

In all honesty, can anybody blame him for asking that question? If he wanted out, I would completely understand actually.

El Zoido

So when Rooney did this he got slaughtered by the fans. Times have changed.
We’re a lot worse now than we were then. Besides, I’ve never had a problem with a top player wanting to move on if the club isn’t meeting their ambitions. Why should he waste his career here, floundering in mid table and nowhere near challenging for titles? If we were this bad when Rooney was here he’d have left. I don’t understand why players are expected to be like fans and stick it out through thick and thin. Most footballers get 10-15 years to achieve things in their playing career, it goes by fast. As for Rooney, he’s still a United legend and is loved by the fans.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
As in if ten Hag's replacement wants to work with him?

Do you still think INEOS will part ways with him?
I don't think it depends on what the new manager wants I think it depends on what INEOS want and also what Fernandez wants if it was down to them I think he would stay regardless of who the manager is but I think Fernandez would likely leave if the current manager stays.

Fallon d'Floor

I don't think it depends on what the new manager wants I think it depends on what INEOS want and also what Fernandez wants if it was down to them I think he would stay regardless of who the manager is but I think Fernandez would likely leave if the current manager stays.
You're starting to doubt that ten Hag will be sacked?

El Jefe

Even though he has two years on his contract, I see this as a negotiating tactic for a new deal and I think people are missing that.

We already know the non CL clause means everyone gets a drop in wages and what better way to prevent that than signing a new deal. He knows his bargaining position will never be stronger and this is honestly the perfect age to sign one last fat Rooney/DDG type of contract.

If the Glazers were in control of this they’d bow down immediately but hopefully INEOS are smarter and cash in on him now while his value is probably as good as it will ever get.

Fallon d'Floor

Even though he has two years on his contract, I see this as a negotiating tactic for a new deal and I think people are missing that.

We already know the non CL clause means everyone gets a drop in wages and what better way to prevent that than signing a new deal. He knows his bargaining position will never be stronger and this is honestly the perfect age to sign one last fat Rooney/DDG type of contract.

If the Glazers were in control of this they’d bow down immediately but hopefully INEOS are smarter and cash in on him now while his value is probably as good as it will ever get.
He turns 30 in September, so this will likely be the last big contract of his career for a European team.

United would be foolish to give him a 5 year deal. Probably a 1 year extension with a higher salary.