g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bruno Fernandes Out?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
World class but will never win a major trophy.

Sporting won their only league title of 20 years or so the season after getting rid of him. Maybe the same will happen to us if we sell him.
What is world class and how is Bruno it? He wouldn’t start for any of the top sides - City, Arsenal, Madrid and co, as he’s clearly not as good as the very best attacking midfielders in the game.

The way people use that term you’d think Bruno was Kane - this genuinely top class player who just hasn’t been given the right opportunities at his club. Bruno is very good but clearly has too many flaws in his game to be among the cream of the crop.

hobbers

What is world class and how is Bruno it? He wouldn’t start for any of the top sides - City, Arsenal, Madrid and co, as he’s clearly not as good as the very best attacking midfielders in the game.

The way people use that term you’d think Bruno was Kane - this genuinely top class player who just hasn’t been given the right opportunities at his club. Bruno is very good but clearly has too many flaws in his game to be among the cream of the crop.
‘‘twas merely engaging a spot of sarcasm.

As I’ve said many times, he is precisely top Europa league class.

Natener

There are a lot of passengers in the squad to get rid of first before Bruno. Bruno at the very least earns his paycheck.

rotherham_red

Rashford who's seen off 5 (soon to be 6) different united managers?

He gets precisely what he's earned.
What did Rashford do to LvG, Jose, Ole, Ten Hag or Rangnick that was so egregious? He broke through under the first, and almost got him Top 4 when all seemed lost. Under the second he scored crucial goals in the EL and Carabao Cup runs, under the third he was the best player alongside Bruno. Ditto with the fourth, and under the 5th everyone was fecking horrid.

I find it laughable when people say Rashford, and/or Bruno, is the one that's sold the manager down the river, when the fact of the matter is ETH would literally have been nowhere near the standard expected of him if it wasn't for both of them.

They used to say Ole relied on individual brilliance. Nope, that's ETH.

Chicharo

I don't think we'll make any significant transfer decisions until we find a new manager. Unless, of course, we've already found one and are keeping it a secret, which I doubt

Adz_99

What did Rashford do to LvG, Jose, Ole, Ten Hag or Rangnick that was so egregious? He broke through under the first, and almost got him Top 4 when all seemed lost. Under the second he scored crucial goals in the EL and Carabao Cup runs, under the third he was the best player alongside Bruno. Ditto with the fourth, and under the 5th everyone was fecking horrid.

I find it laughable when people say Rashford, and/or Bruno, is the one that's sold the manager down the river, when the fact of the matter is ETH would literally have been nowhere near the standard expected of him if it wasn't for both of them.

They used to say Ole relied on individual brilliance. Nope, that's ETH.
Rashfords patchy form is a coach killer. He's our highest paid player but he's so unreliable. Last season he was brilliant. This season he's barely even in the top 50 for league goals scored.

How can you build a successful team when you have no idea if Rashford will bother turning up for the season or not. You can't build the team around a player who can be relied upon.

rotherham_red

Rashfords patchy form is a coach killer. He's our highest paid player but he's so unreliable. Last season he was brilliant. This season he's barely even in the top 50 for league goals scored.

How can you build a successful team when you have no idea if Rashford will bother turning up for the season or not. You can't build the team around a player who can be relied upon.
But don't you think there is some context behind this though? Look at everyone else in the team: can you honestly, hand on heart, say ANY ONE of them have performed to expectations this season? If the answer is yes, then I'd be curious to know who that would be. If the answer is no, then logically speaking, the focus should be on the coach, whose job it is to set the team up in a way that allows everyone, but most particularly, the best players to flourish.

We know these are good players, they've shown it before, be it at Utd or elsewhere. Ten Hag, unlike his predecessors, cannot point to a lack of support. He has literally had every possible backing from those above him. He wanted Antony and we got him Antony. He wanted Frenkie and we persisted with that chase despite him being absolutely clear that he didn't want to come. Purely because ETH insisted upon him. He's spent £450m+ over two seasons which is pretty much double what his predecessors had at the same stage in their time at the club. Rightly or wrongly, the underlying issues we have had this season stem from his vision: his training routine is what has caused the injuries. His midfield setup has led to us being so open, and his signings are either our most underwhelming players, or they are the most injury prone.

Whichever way you look at it, ETH has not got a leg to stand on and if he stays beyond this summer, he's a very lucky boy, even if by some miracle he turns it around (he won't, of course, but it's nice to dream)

Last edited:

Fahad Jawaid

I think this is a great opportunity to let him go. He will fetch us good money and he can actually be a great addition to other sides which play defensive and hit on transitions, but he will never be good enough for top clubs, which expects to retain 60 - 70 % possession every match and require circulation and dismantling of shape of other team and then quickly get somebody through sort of like 20 and 25 passes goals, which is needed against sides sitting deep.

The problem with him is, he does everything at such pace, it becomes chaotic, whether it's giving away the ball when keeping the ball is required. Or aimless through passes or rushing towards the player and getting by very easily, resulting in exposing the team.

Its time we move away from him and Rashford and sign players who are technically amazing who can keep the ball, so we can move away from this chaotic style of play, where we are underdogs against any half decent team.

El Jefe

What’s the best club that would be interested in Bruno if he had a £70m price tag?

gajender

What’s the best club that would be interested in Bruno if he had a £70m price tag?
Not even Saudi's are coming anywhere that price tag for Bruno let alone any Club in Europe just not happening .

Parma Dewol

Would be sad to see him go, he’s one of few players I appreciate. Then again, perhaps he deserves better. :(

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Moving Bruno on would be an absolutely suicidal move this summer. He is absolutely an untouchable.
If Bruno goes, we will be left with DVB at 10 (because nobody will buy him) - a fitting punishment for all who think Bruno is a problem.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Is Bellingham better than Bruno?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is Bellingham better than Bruno?
Definitely. In time he will country miles ahead.

People say that Bruno has wasted his potential here but he’s usually been at our level or marginally above. He’s not the guy who starts for a great title winning team. Imo anyway, would love to be proven wrong before his time here ends.

ROFLUTION

You can let go of types like Roy Keane, Beckham and Van Nistelrooy when your team has great players to replace them.

We don’t with Bruno. Neither do we have a great player in sight or a lot of money. It’s a giant “keep” from me.

mctrials23

I love the guy and he has been a massive part of everything good in the club for the past 4 years. That being said, I think he isn't compatible with the sort of football the very best teams play. Perhaps he is but I think we need a lot of the right players around him to enable that and he will never get that at United.

If he does leave I wish him every success and hope he gets the trophies his talent and dedication deserve. There are very very few players at United that I almost never think have let themselves down on the effort front. He is one of them.

Devil77

Put it this way..

------------------ Haaland ------------------
Grealish --------------------------- Foden
--------- Bruno --------- De Bruyne ---------
------------------- Rodri -------------------

How do you think he'd do?
He’d do great. We would ask ourselves why we can’t sign players like him.

Robertd0803

Selling Bruno this summer would be nothing short of idiotic.

Who/what plan is there to replace him?
Anyone possible will cost the same if not more and I wouldnt trust EtH to build me a lego set at the moment let alone rebuild our midfield.

Theres bigger problems in the squad to fix than selling Bruno this summer. Its utterly mental to me that its even a possibility considering the squad we have.

NZT-One

Moving Bruno on would be an absolutely suicidal move this summer. He is absolutely an untouchable.
If Bruno goes, we will be left with DVB at 10 (because nobody will buy him) - a fitting punishment for all who think Bruno is a problem.
What about Mount? What about Amad? Who says we have to stick to a formation that has dedicated 10 position? (just FYI, we currently don't)

Not the biggest fan of both players but I guess, that would be a fair swap and probably more realistic than Bruno going to Saudi Arabia.

People who are worried about where our goals will come from have a point, but it isn't an absolute one. For starters, the United attack WITH Bruno isn't great or productive or anything. For the millionth time: this is not on Bruno alone but he is part of the unit. If the club makes the right moves in the summer, thinking of playstyle, potential formation switches, acquisitions then letting go of Bruno in exchange for something will probably turn out as something good. I get it, fans ask where next seasons goals will come from. Maybe they should also turn their view deeper into the future. And who knows, who is stepping up.

For what it is worth - take the current United team as a template, getting rid of Bruno is definitely a bad move and will make the team worse. But if the template is adjusted, making a good deal with an older player might be the smartest thing we can do. I'd actually applaud this move as I would seriously consider it a smart and forward-thinking decision. We are not going to challenge for anything next year anyway - with or without Bruno, this is rather unrealistic. Doesn't mean we have to gift-wrap him and put him out there for peanuts. But in exchange for something valuable? I think it would be extremely stupid not to consider it.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I'm of the opinion that hes our best and most important player by some distance and would be bottom of the list of the players we need to sell

That being said, hes 29 and if a really good offer comes in (60+ million) we should consider

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If we stick with Ten Hag in the summer I can see this deal happening.

People who think Bruno can't play possession football will be shocked to see him at Barcelona in Xavi's team. Especially playing at the slower pace of La Liga.

NZT-One

If we stick with Ten Hag in the summer I can see this deal happening.

People who think Bruno can't play possession football will be shocked to see him at Barcelona in Xavi's team. Especially playing at the slower pace of La Liga.
Man, I'd love to get that shock. Would happily take that risk. Wouldn't it be nice for his fans too? He might actually have the chance to win something. A player like him does deserve more than the invisible Key pass trophy.

Sgreddevil

He might not have performed to the world class level consistently but we definitely has more deadweights to shift out than him. He should not be our priority this summer unless there is a very good bid for him.
We should keep him for another season and replace him after we found a reliable replacement. We can't have Mount that can only play about 5 full games whole season to fill up his void.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
What about Mount? What about Amad? Who says we have to stick to a formation that has dedicated 10 position? (just FYI, we currently don't)
Amad isn’t a true 10, he’s better coming in from the flanks. I think if we get a proper holding 6 we’ll move to a 4141 with two 8/10’s so that would presumably be Mount and Donny in the absence of Bruno.
Problem there is from what I’ve seen neither of those players have the vision or creativity of our captain, they prefer to be running through onto balls played through and creating an over load in the box. If we sell Bruno, we remove all creativity from the team, and lose most of our ability to find the wide runners, bar long balls from Onana or Martinez.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I love him to death but if Ineos are targeting 2028 to challenge he should be sold now

NZT-One

Amad isn’t a true 10, he’s better coming in from the flanks.
How old is he? How many games has he played? Wasn't he even something like a shadow striker at Atalanta? Not that I disagree but this hasn't that much magnitude. Especially given that we don't really employ Bruno as a true 10. If we would, he potentially wouldn't get as much criticism for bad decisions at the wrong time.

I think if we get a proper holding 6 we’ll move to a 4141 with two 8/10’s so that would presumably be Mount and Donny in the absence of Bruno.
Right... But who will be the players on the flanks? Surely not Rashford or Garnacho who have some value as wing forwards but in a 4-1-4-1 those should be more capable of against-the-ball stuff.

Problem there is from what I’ve seen neither of those players have the vision or creativity of our captain, they prefer to be running through onto balls played through and creating an over load in the box.
We haven't actually seen Donny in this 8'ish formation. Don't get me wrong, I want to get rid of him but when he shined at Ajax, he did so in exactly that position. He was never a 10, never. Plus in the latest scenario, we'd have brought in FDJ, who could chip in with passes. Plus, other teams do quite decently without spamming through balls, we might as well.

If we sell Bruno, we remove all creativity from the team, and lose most of our ability to find the wide runners, bar long balls from Onana or Martinez.
Again, nobody really wants to just get rid of him without a replacement. So there's no real point talking about such a scenario. Everybody, I am sure even you and most of Brunos fans, want United to improve their playstyle. With an improved playstyle losing Bruno maybe wouldn't be as detrimental as his replacement might be even more suited to the new role description.

sugar_kane

I said a while back I wouldn't be surprised at all if he leaves this summer. He hasn't looked happy all season (with reason) in spite of the captaincy.