Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

How has this thread turned into chat about a shirt sponsor and AWB by the way? :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pretty much. The surprising thing is that they didn't mention Woodward, a few years ago it was mentioned that while Arnold is supposed to be the one taking care of the commercial side of things, Woodward struggled to let it go. I wonder if it has changed and why Avram Glazer is the one travelling with Arnold.
It really could be brought back on track very simply; bring in a level headed footballing CEO (vds my choice) and let Ed be CEO if making mountains of money. Sack Arnold.

cyberman

I hope we have to start the season without a shirt sponsor because the offers are that low due to our current performance
Sponsorship due to success applies to smaller clubs.
Thats why the board are so comfortable

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This thread has taken a turn for the worse. A lot of moans but no news on Bruno.

Jack-C20

9 of the board in Switzerland trying to set up a shirt sponsorship deal. Fans all waiting for news on Fernandes or other players coming in.
Jesus my muppetry is all over the place. My first thought was excitement about if the logo would look better than the Chevrolet one :nervous:

Red00012

Page 191 of the Bruno Fernandes transfer page is a discussion about a new shirt sponsor and Aaron Wan Bissaka.

Classic transfer muppetry.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Some get Iran to blow up Switzerland quick and do us all a favour. Only a load of cows in fields and rich bankers anyway. Won't be missed.

;)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It really could be brought back on track very simply; bring in a level headed footballing CEO (vds my choice) and let Ed be CEO if making mountains of money. Sack Arnold.
If Woodward is unsackable then it makes the most sense. Clearly Woodward has been elevated above his abilities, he is a CFO and nothing else which is respectable but means that we seemingly don't have competent COOs and CEOs. Ideally both should leave and be replaced by a proper CEO and a proper COO. The latter is ignored by the press but the fact that we struggle to sign staff members or that fans are upset with their Old Trafford experience is on the COO, it's the heart of his job.

AneRu

Avram Glazer is in Switzerland with a nine-man United delegation
The transfer window is in it’s final stages, but Manchester United’s leadership has other priorities at present.
The search to tie down a new shirt sponsor is reportedly a concern. The Times reported last October that United are looking to tie down a new deal, with Chevrolet unlikely to renew the current deal which ends in 2021.
United reportedly have representatives at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, trying to network and find a new sponsor.
Co-owner Avram Glazer is leading a United delegation in Davos, The Telegraph report.
The report states: “A nine-strong group of United executives, led by co-chairman Avram Glazer and group managing director, Richard Arnold, attended the World Economic Forum.

“For a club looking for a new shirt sponsor, with their existing £357m deal with Chevrolet due to end in 2021 and no guarantees the US car giant will renew, Davos represents a target rich environment for big money commercial signings.”
Isn't the fact that we now need to gatecrash the WEF touting for shirt sponsorships a bit worrying?

JPRouve

Scout
Isn't the fact that we now need to gatecrash the WEF touting for shirt sponsorships a bit worrying?
No, networking and building a relationship with big companies is very important.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They’ll be going door to door with clipboards next or chugging people walking round the city centre “hi mate! How are you? Are you having a good day? You look like someone who is into football. Have you heard of Manchester United?”

AneRu

If Woodward is unsackable then it makes the most sense. Clearly Woodward has been elevated above his abilities, he is a CFO and nothing else which is respectable but means that we seemingly don't have competent COOs and CEOs. Ideally both should leave and be replaced by a proper CEO and a proper COO. The latter is ignored by the press but the fact that we struggle to sign staff members or that fans are upset with their Old Trafford experience is on the COO, it's the heart of his job.
We have a COO and MD but I think both are CAs/MBAs so in reality you only have one skill set from Woodward to Judge, all are bean counters and there really is no one with the appreciation of sport, football in particular, so this is why we have these harebrained decisions where you haggle over 10m when the chance for earning 60m is on the line. Someone like VDS or Gary Neville up there will know that whilst we don't deserve CL football, based on form, stars have aligned to give us a chance and we need to strengthen so as to maximize the chance and lessen the burden for the summer.

vanderpants

No, networking and building a relationship with big companies is very important.
Who wants to break the record for a sponsorship for a bang average team in the Premiership that isn't concerned about winning trophies anymore..... Think Avram glazer will be a bit shocked when he fails to find a suiter

AneRu

I get that but don't we have mid level marketers and consultants to set things like this up?
They’ll be going door to door with clipboards next or chugging people walking round the city centre “hi mate! How are you? Are you having a good day? You look like someone who is into football. Have you heard of Manchester United?”
:lol::lol:

JoaquinJoaquin

Let's be honest, they will want the next deal arranged as soon as possible in case of another bad performing season next year.

Art Vandelay

Wait until they are advertising on day time TV like one of those charities for injured donkeys.

"Could you sponsor a club in need?"

JPRouve

Scout
We have a COO and MD but I think both are CAs/MBAs so in reality you only have one skill set from Woodward to Judge, all are bean counters and there really is no one with the appreciation of sport, football in particular, so this is why we have these harebrained decisions where you haggle over 10m when the chance for earning 60m is on the line. Someone like VDS or Gary Neville up there will know that whilst we don't deserve CL football, based on form, stars have aligned to give us a chance and we need to strengthen so as to maximize the chance and lessen the burden for the summer.
That's my point, Arnold is the COO and former CFO, Woodward is the CEO that allegedly wants to act as the CFO. Also diplomas means very little, these people have been out of school a long time ago, experience and personality are what matters, they are seemingly more comfortable on the commercial side of things and don't really bring anything to the other side which means that our managers are alone. That setup worked when we had SAF, Gill and before him Kenyon were also former CFOs but SAF has a skillset that didn't require to have a football/sport management head above him.

JPRouve

Scout
I get that but don't we have mid level marketers and consultants to set things like this up?
If you send mid level marketers to talk to some of the most influential executives in the world, they will take it as an insult.

Giggsy13

This is definitely not happening now but I do love Sky reporting that we’re failing to meet Sporting’s price and in fact backed out of a provisional agreement on the fee. Further reports of Joel f’n Glazer vetoing the deal was the cherry on the top.

I have to think that it was Mendes who strategically provided these leaks to throw United under the bus. It looks as if we’re going to burn a relationship with another super agent on our botched handling of the Bruno transfer. We look incompetent all around and clearly now “Bantz FC”. Mendes is more refined than Raiola but privately he’s probably thinking the same thing: why would I bring any of my clients to this shambles of a club.

JPRouve

Scout
I was in agreement with you, we basically have the same person from CEO to whatever Judge is called and that's in addition to the Glazer siblings who are all MBAs, Bates the CFO who is a CA. Their training and inclination leads to them being strong one side, like you said, and will tend to isolate the manager because at the end of the day he doesn't sit on the board where all the decisions are made so much as he might say I need a no.10 he viewpoint is useless if the rest aren't inclined to agree. What they see is a 10m pound hole in the budget whereas the football man could see a deep cup run and top 4 finish plus maybe a European title.

This weakness in our structure is there reason behind our decline, on the other hand without top football/sport management people above the manager there is no room for an alternative viewpoint wrt decisions on transfer targets. An example of this is when Mourinho insisted on Matic when we could have simply picked up Fabinho from Monaco, we got a prime Matic for six months and now have to contend with his decline and likely replace him in the next twelve months but Liverpool got Fabinho and he is going to be a key part of their spine for at least five seasons. Mourinho has since left but the club is now dealing with the consequences of his choices. That we are actively resisting moves to remedy this is shocking mismanagement.
I agree with everything you said at the exception of this small point, over the years our managers have clearly picked the players that they wanted in the positions that they wanted as long as we had enough money to maket the deal happen. For me the issue is that they themselves weren't SAF or competent DOFs and created their own mess which could have been avoided if like you said their superiors weren't all out of their depth when it comes to football management.

always_hoping

Is this deal on or off now? I have lost interest..

To get champions league football for next season via 4th in the league or winning the EL 2 quality players at least are needed to be signed or loaned in during this transfer window, probably 3 now with the long term Rashford injury and its looking more likely the transfer window will be closed without bringing anyone in. Thats on the board and Woodward if they don't do the required business in the next week, worst of all if they fail they will use Ole as a puppet to tell the media that he's happy with his squad and players coming back from injury will be like new signings.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
This is exactly how they got that "we've got 700m fans" data.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Had an accident at work that wasn't your fault?"

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Wasn't talking about the highlights reel at all.

We wanted to improve our defence
We wanted a player that had proven he could defend well against PL level players
We wanted someone young that could grow with the team

That that cost £50m should be a shock to absolutely nobody.

He idea that he is awful going forward is utter nonsense. Is he TAA? No. Has he got a decent RW to play with? No. Williams has come in and had Rashford working his bollocks off for 90 minutes ahead of him which has also helped get him space to work with. AWB has had a mix of Andreas and James for the most part. One who is greener even than AWB and one who has the decision making ability of a boiled peanut.

Realistically he's going to get competition from the likes of Dalot and Laird in the next 12 months and as Laird is so highly rated we'll soon see how it all goes.
If you can't see how much we've been shafted with Maguire and Wan Bissaka and that we could have spent that £130m better then I can't help you.
The worst thing about it is that the most important people in this context, our recruitment team, seem to think the same way as you.

Us overpaying for players anyway x English players overhype x Utd having a 'buy British' policy = a recepie for disaster (and so far that's exactly what it's been).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If you can't see how much we've been shafted with Maguire and Wan Bissaka and that we could have spent that £130m better then I can't help you.
The worst thing about it is that the most important people in this context, our recruitment team, seem to think the same way as you.

Us overpaying for players anyway x English players overhype x Utd having a 'buy British' policy = a recepie for disaster (and so far that's exactly what it's been).
What evidence is there that we have “a buy British policy?” Most of the criticism Has been levelled At Pogba, who’s hardly British.
Usual conjecture

We bid for Haaland as well or has that escaped you.

Alabaster Codify7

Okay, I'm out. I was of the mindset this would still get done, I'm done with it - it's dead as far as I'm concerned. Our squad is dying and our signings in January will be Neil Ashton, Spin Doctor and a new shirt sponsor.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Is this deal on or off now? I have lost interest..

To get champions league football for next season via 4th in the league or winning the EL 2 quality players at least are needed to be signed or loaned in during this transfer window, probably 3 now with the long term Rashford injury and its looking more likely the transfer window will be closed without bringing anyone in. Thats on the board and Woodward if they don't do the required business in the next week, worst of all if they fail they will use Ole as a puppet to tell the media that he's happy with his squad and players coming back from injury will be like new signings.
This season is a write off. I think that much is clear. We are not getting any players thus the "6 in" brefing today.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Okay, I'm out. I was of the mindset this would still get done, I'm done with it - it's dead as far as I'm concerned. Our squad is dying and our signings in January will be Neil Ashton, Spin Doctor and a new shirt sponsor.
Looking like Dean Ashton too at this rate.

Seb burrow

I just don’t get this club. we’re not in a position to negotiate hard ball over 5/10m. We’re in a crisis. Sporting Lisbon and everyone else knows that.

The smartest move the board could do is negotiate a fair deal. And give the team the best opportunity to rectify this mess and to put us in a stronger negotiating position for future deals.

But yet again everything is left to the last minute when the team is in dire need of players. If the club was more forward thinking some of these injuries might not of occurred.

ps sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/manchester...it_exp=abi-14906129-en-GB&share_bandit_var=v1

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
What evidence is there that we have “a buy British policy?” Most of the criticism Has been levelled At Pogba, who’s hardly British.
Usual conjecture

We bid for Haaland as well or has that escaped you.
Please tell me you're joking.
Fair enough, it was first talked about in the press around last April/May but that means nothing.
However, the fact we then went out and actually bought three British players and nobody else is pretty strong evidence.

Also, what has Pogba getting criticised got to do with this?
And even if it was relevant, the fact that he's getting made a scapegoat and isn't British, if anything backs up what I'm saying.

It's the sane with Haaland, the fact that we weren't prepared to push the boat out for him but did it for Maguire and AWB only backs up what I'm saying.

As recently as the post match analysis of the Burnley defeat, Rio was banging on about it as well, as if this 'buying young British players' was the way forward.

So, as I said, there's plenty of evidence.

romufc

A good businessman understands his seat on the negotiating table.

Unfortunately, Ed doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.