Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart89

This definitely feels like a transfer we didn't intend to make though until the injuries started piling up. He was on our radar but we had to pull the trigger once Rashford, McTominay and Pogba got injured.
That's what I was thinking as well when I was writing that post.

Happy we pulled the trigger (if we have, we're all going to look quite silly if he doesn't end up joining) but I think we could've planned it much better considering how we're boasting about our scouting network and we knew about the squad's weakness in to no 10 position, regardless of our current team members' respective injury status.

AndyMUFC

Well if it takes some rumoured interest from another club to get this over the line then I'll take it.

Please let this go through now.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

That's what I was thinking as well when I was writing that post.

Happy we pulled the trigger (if we have, we're all going to look quite silly if he doesn't end up joining) but I think we could've planned it much better considering how we're boasting about our scouting network and we knew about the squad's weakness in to no 10 position, regardless of our current team members' respective injury status.
I don't think 10 was considered a weak position over the summer, we have several who can play there including Pogba. We were looking for an 8, hence being linked to Longstaff.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not convinced he's a super player. We'll see. Really wanna be wrong.
Mid-season Bruno won't score 25 goals more, but he'll score and assist probably more than our whole midfield combined anyway.

Everything depends how Ole and staff will prepare him in such short time, but I think he can help us try to reach Europa League final this season... that is if Rash, Scott and Pog will fully recover reasonably fast.

Skills

Snitch
Right area of the pitch. Can't be a worse deal than Maguire tbh, so there's hope we're moving in the right direction.

RedDevilRoshi

Not believing one word of this until it’s officially confirmed by the club.

Looks a good signing if we get him.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Given the number of world class players Portugal has produced over the years, and given this guy has won Portuguese player of the year for the last two years, and is just about to enter his prime, then I very much hope today's news is true.

Skills

Snitch
That’s how much players cost.
They don't really. Or else clubs would be breaking records everytime they make a signing. Once this signing goes through, we've got the two most expensive midfielders in the league & the most expensive CB in the world.

Wan

It's funny how the most obvious of press briefs work on so many. Like candies to little children. Personal triumph to who exactly? Arnold? Does this make him feel better after paying 50m for Fred?
The same can be said for the gullible ones believing every negative things they write about us. Pot. Kettle. Black.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
They don't really. Or else clubs would be breaking records everytime they make a signing. Once this signing goes through, we've got the two most expensive midfielders in the league & the most expensive CB in the world.
All managed by a guy who got Cardiff City relegated. :D

marktan

36 Goals / 24 Assists in 63 Games since start of the last season, i say its worth the risk.
True, though his goals highlights shows a lot of them just being punted in against average keepers. Won't get that sort of time or space in the PL, but I'm hoping he's a technical enough player to cope.
really?! for me, he has looked nothing more than the Newcastle level he's at.
Christ on a bike, Saint Maximin is the definition of a player without a brain.

Buendia looks okay whilst playing for Norwich and will probably find a decent team next season when they're relegated but c'mon mate.
Nah he's always stood out, watched them a fair bit this season and he has the potential to be similar to what Mane is. Very good on the ball but a bit raw currently. He's always impressed me both technically and in work rate, one to watch I think.

RedChisel

I reckon Ole had a chuckle to himself after those Sanchez comments. He must have known this deal was done.

stepic

de Bruyne was £55m and that was like 4 years ago. Good players cost money.

NoPace

Are we allowed to agree to sign players outside of the window?

Wut? You do know McTominay is pretty much 1st name on the team sheet when fit? Hes been brilliant this season and we havent looked the best in midfield without him.
I think it's pretty evident that our first choice XI for next season, if no transfers in or out but everyone healthy (so basically our current squad with no injuries) is:

Rashford-Martial-James
---------------Pogba-------------
-------Fred---------McTominay

but that's still no better than a 5th-6th place team if everyone stays healthy.

Pogba and Rashford are definitely good enough but the others need competition. McTominay and James I think would be our 5th CM and 3rd winger if we had the squad we need to be getting 75-80 points and competing for 2nd or 3rd, never mind putting up a 90 point season and competing for the Prem.

Striker-Martial
Rashford-RW-James-Greenwood
Pogba-Fred-#10-DM-McTominay

Nobody else has shown they're good enough to be in our first team, though one of Gomes or Chong could be the 12th guy in the front group who gets cup and bench minutes, like a lot of teams do with a talented youngster.

If Fernandes signs, I'd say he's the #10 even if he can play deeper or wider and we're missing a proper #6, RW and striker.

In order of priority of "first choice" players we need to upgrade on, I do think Fred vs Martial vs McTominay vs James is a good question. I lean towards Fred and the energy he's provided this season. Martial has the most talent but I'd throw James ahead of him if Rashford wasn't playing well at LW, but James hasn't looked quite as dangerous a goal threat on the right. McTominay has done well this year but he's not really a proven #6 (though I think that's his best position considering his size and his strengths and weaknesses as a passer) and it's unclear if he's good enough on the ball to play further forward for us. He walks into the team at the moment as a competent all-around midfielder, but going forward, if I was planning out the squad I'd have him as the backup #6 and #8 to a proper DM we sign and either Bruno or a new midfielder who has the ball skills to play further forward.

Red71

QUOTE="Coops73, post: 25229157, member: 81676"]
You know I’m taking the piss right?

Haha yeah, I knew....it was more for the previous poster....that’s been one of my bug bears for yonks!

Last edited:

AlexUTD

Well because he always tweets about a transfer before it becomes official.

Like he did with Maguire,AWB,Solskjaer etc

True, though his goals highlights shows a lot of them just being punted in against average keepers. Won't get that sort of time or space in the PL, but I'm hoping he's a technical enough player to cope.
He has good shooting ability and can spot a pass i has faith mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.