Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Apart from BBC journalists confirming we've been in talks with them? Pretty big difference to the summer where pretty much all of the UK press pack were denying all along that we were after him.
As far as I can tell Stone has only referred to the same unreliable Portuguese sources and there’s been a collation of them in the gossip round up.

I’m desperate for this one to happen but we’ve been here so many times before.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not watched any YouTube or seen him play in the flesh, so I going on what I read on here. I suspect we will get a less productive player than he currently is, but his numbers are impressive.
Tough league to move between so this season will be almost a right off for him I guess.
I cannot are how he will be less productive/effective than what we currently have though. We have cowards who are crying out for better service and if this cat provide we will improve massively.
Klopp seemed impressed with him pre-season too, so maybe we are getting a gem. Fingers crossed.
Klopp also praised him during last season if I remember correctly
Even with a period of adapting it has to be better getting him now before the euros in the summer. At least he can climatize before the new season

jackal&hyde

As far as I can tell Stone has only referred to the same unreliable Portuguese sources and there’s been a collation of them in the gossip round up.

The Athletic also confirmed talks had taken place between Sporting representatives and United at the London offices.

Judas

Open to offers

The difference is he's going with those reports, where usually he'd have his own saying it isn't happening. So we're clearing not as a club putting anything out there about the deal, which is a difference. It might be clutching a bit, but as someone who felt like it was always bullshit in the summer, this feels more genuine to me.

PieCrust

This isn't a panic buy, but I do question why we couldn't have just signed him over the summer. Mata was a January panic buy if anyone needs a real example. At least we have a need for a player like Bruno. Hopefully he comes in and is a success.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The Athletic also confirmed talks had taken place between Sporting representatives and United at the London offices.
I’m a subscriber to the site and love it, but again they’ve done little more than that too. Laurie Whitwell is a good emerging writer, but even he concedes in the Q&As that he has little knowledge on what is going on, other than the fact that Ole did scout him in person.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The difference is he's going with those reports, where usually he'd have his own saying it isn't happening. So we're clearing not as a club putting anything out there about the deal, which is a difference. It might be clutching a bit, but as someone who felt like it was always bullshit in the summer, this feels more genuine to me.
I would have agreed with that too, but it’s felt very quiet since Friday. This one’s dead unless there’s real movement today.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The Portuguese press have been trying their hardest to make this transfer happen since last summer. I doubt anything is "imminent" just by their words.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I thought we were supposed to be done with panic buys under Ole and we were only going to sign players that we feel fit the Utd identity or whatever, so... how come we're (potentially) signing this guy, then?
Reeks of panic buy to me..
If we apparently scouted him extensively last year and decided that he wasn't good enough, then I don't see what's changed so drastically with the player.
Are we admitting that our judgement was wrong?

Judas

Open to offers
If we apparently scouted him extensively last year and decided that he wasn't good enough, then I don't see what's changed so drastically with the player.
Maybe nothing changed with the player, but Ole realised after giving them plenty of opportunities what he has isn't good enough, thus now we're going for him?

vanderpants

All the sources have come from Portugal and English journalists have just said what they have quoted ? So no real positives as they are nearly as bad as the Spain's press?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
No, no, apparently it's not that we decided he wasn't good enough, we were just being smart and waiting another half a season and instead, buying him in January instead of the summer, because the summer is way too sensible a time a to buy a player, it's also a total coincidence that our midfield options are currently fecked due to injuries.

Come on, trust the club, they've spent £600m really well over the last six years, and we definitely haven't seen this sort of situation before where everyone gets excited over a transfer and tells anyone who is pessimistic about it to shut their face and then the player turns out to be a disappointment!

What is Sanchez up to these days anyway?

SteveW

All the sources have come from Portugal and English journalists have just said what they have quoted ? So no real positives as they are nearly as bad as the Spain's press?
Richard Askam from the BBC confirmed that Sporting officials were in London and high level talks had taken place. Whether it led anywhere is anyone's guess. According to Simon Stone the club have said nothing about it.

Nick7

What BBC reports? If it’s just the gossip page, then that’s just a round up of all the newspapers, and is worthless nonsense. I’ve not seen anything that yet BBC have actually reported, unless I’ve missed it?
Richard Askam from the BBC confirmed that Sporting officials were in London and high level talks had taken place. Whether it led anywhere is anyone's guess. According to Simon Stone the club have said nothing about it.
This. Stone backed up what Askam said though

Irrational.

The deal will be reported finalised by Monday or Tuesday, then after the Benfica Derby, then the game after that, eventually we'll pass January 31st and Ole will mention in his press conference that it's very difficult to get deals done in January and he's happy with what he's got.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Can we have a Fernandes Signs thread in the mould of our legendary classic thread " Torres Signs"! How many still remember that one?

Mark Pawelek

Incredibly hard for attacking midfielders to move leagues in mid-career to PL. For example: Mata, Kagawa, Memphis, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, ...

This long record of failure getting attacking midfielders to work for us leaves me circumspect. I'll wait to I see him play; if ...

Massive Spanner

Incredibly hard for attacking midfielders to move leagues in mid-career to PL. For example: Mata, Kagawa, Memphis, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, ...

This long record of failure getting attacking midfielders to work for us leaves me circumspect. I'll wait to I see him play; if ...
Huh?

fergieisold

2 of those were later career and the others were shite. Not surprising really!

Nick7

Memphis was younger than Mata when he moved to us than Mata was when he moved to Chelsea. It definitely wasn’t a mid career move.

and then Mata and Sanchez? They were fantastic at Chelsea/Arsenal.

Conor

Literally none of this post makes sense.

Nick7

I would have agreed with that too, but it’s felt very quiet since Friday. This one’s dead unless there’s real movement today.
It was a weekend. Weekend's are still weekends for football clubs. I'm sure everyone cared more about the match we (and Sporting) played on Saturday than the transfer and then Sunday is still Sunday. It was always going to quiet. If there's no movement today or tomorrow I think your posts would be correct

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
All your comments there are pure speculation. We were linked with Maguire from the start of the window.
It's not speculation. It was well reported. Just as its well reported that Bruno has been looked at by us for a while.

That doesn't make him a panic buy, just because its January.

Bondi77

Mata was a star at Chelsea, Depay came to England when he was about 21 and Sanchez was one of the best players in England when he was at Arsenal.
I am surprised you never through Hazard in there.

Massive Spanner

It's not speculation. It was well reported. Just as its well reported that Bruno has been looked at by us for a while.

That doesn't make him a panic buy, just because its January.
If you really trust this club to make the right signing in January then good for you. Personally I'm pessimistic given our recent history and our reputation for going out and buying quick fixes when we are struggling. To try deny that there is a link between our league position, our lack of fit midfielders and buying this guy now as opposed to the summer is ridiculous, though.

Mark Pawelek

Memphis was younger than Mata when he moved to us than Mata was when he moved to Chelsea. It definitely wasn’t a mid career move.

and then Mata and Sanchez? They were fantastic at Chelsea/Arsenal.
Mata had one great season in PL - his second at Chelsea. Alexis had 2 good seasons at Arsenal. Alexis was proven in Spain and Italy. Memphis was proven in Holland, Fernandes proven in Portugal. Bruno is twice the risk of Memphis, because he's twice the price. I've no confidence in annoited one method of United recruiting attacking midfielders.

pacifictheme

Mata, chelsea's two time player of the year and assist machine? Sanchez, unmitigated success at arsenal?

Not to mention David silva? One of the best the prem has seen? Or zola, he wasn't bad either.

Methinks someone is talking shit.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I'm not convinced by this possible signing. Reckon this could be yet another player who struggles here. I don't want to hear that just because he's better than what we have we are justified in spending all that money on him, as Mr Blobby would upgrade our midfield at the moment.

We should not buy average players just because we have a shite midfield. Still though, many are saying this guy is far from average and I hope they're right. Stats are certainly impressive.

Nick7

Mata had one great season in PL - his second at Chelsea. Alexis had 2 good seasons at Arsenal. Alexis was proven in Spain and Italy. Memphis was proven in Holland, Fernandes proven in Portugal. Bruno is twice the risk of Memphis, because he's twice the price. I've no confidence in annoited one method of United recruiting attacking midfielders.
Yeah you're talking shit. Memphis was not mid career, it was still very early in his career. Mata and Sanchez were both massive successes at their club. The only similarity there is that they all played for United.

Status
Not open for further replies.