g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Something not right in this list, I mean, Mctominay is the lowest paid player in the squad with merely 10k per week? How does this make any sense at all?
Mctominay has deffo had at least one pay rise since being on 10k and I was reading he's in line for another to bring him up to seeing 70k.

No chance he's the cornerstone of our midfield on 10k a week.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
At International level, Bruno Fernandes has 2 goals and 3 assists in 1048 mins (12 starts 7 sub) - That's a goal or assist every 210 mins approx. He has played against: Spain, Netherlands (2), Scotland, Luxembourg (2), Lithuania (2), Algeria, Switzerland, Serbia (info from Transfermarkt https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bruno-fernandes/nationalmannschaft/spieler/240306/verein_id/3300 )

Jesse Lingard has 4 goals and 3 assists in 1484 mins (14 starts 10 sub) - A goal or assist every 212 mins. He has played against: Spain (2), Netherlands (2), Croatia, Italy, Nigeria, Slovenia, Malta, Sweden, Colombia, Panama, Tunisia.

Lingard is currently a completely useless PL player. Bruno Fernandes is an outstanding player in a weak domestic league with tons of teams that are somewhere between lower Championship and top of League One level, packed full of free transfers and loan players (see Transfermarkt for incoming transfers of relevant clubs).

When Fernandes played in Serie A, he didn't seem remotely special. Sampdoria sold him for less than £9m, in the summer of 2017. He started 79 matches in Serie A, scoring 15 goals with 14 assists (he took 2 pens, scoring one, direct free-kicks, indirect free-kicks and corners). His shot map for his last 3 seasons in Serie A is towards the bottom of https://understat.com/player/1228 - 4 goals from outside the box, 26 shots saved from outside the box, hit the woodwork once from outside the area, 52 off-target shots from outside the area, 24 blocked shots from outside the area. So it took over 100 shots from outside the area to get 4 goals in Serie A. If anything, PL keepers are likely to be superior to those in Serie A. Spectacular goals in Liga NOS might simply result in a PL keeper conceding a corner.

If you look at Lingard's productivity in CL, PL, Europa League and domestic Cup competitions during his time at United, you will find that his output is noticeably better in the Europa League compared to CL and domestic Cup competitions relative to the PL. Even when he has been struggling to have an impact in PL matches, he has been able to get goals and/or assists in domestic Cup games. Drop down a level and it is easier to score and assist.

The fees being mentioned are absolutely ridiculous. There is a serious risk that Fernandes hasn't changed that much from his time in Serie A. At Sporting he takes on huge responsibility. At United he would be expected to be a team player. He will only take direct free-kicks and penalties if he is the best at them in training, and even then it might take him a while to be given the opportunity. He is not the main man for Portugal and his productivity reflects that.

This should be a modest fee, modest wages deal, or else let another club take the risk. United have a limited amount of money to spend. We need to spend it wisely. Being a better player than the current Lingard or Mata, is not a sensible justification for using £50m, possibly more.
So you are saying that Bruno had as many chances of goal/assists at Udinese/Samp as lingard has with us? Also note that the lingard of 2-3 years ago is gone. He barely create anything anymore

Withnail

It was every touch he had in the game. A lot of good play and a few few bad moments. Thought he looked very good in that game overall though.
Wasn't this a final group game where Barca were already though?

I'm not convinced this guy can make the step up or that we'll get anyone in this window.

Granted I haven't watched him, but from his highlights in the Portuguese league there's no pressure on him whatsoever and some of the goalkeeping is extremely poor.

The PL will be a steep learning curve and as others have said if he does adapt we could be looking at a year before he gets up to speed.

I'm not sure why we'd go for him now when we need someone who can hit the ground running.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I thought we were supposed to be done with panic buys under Ole and we were only going to sign players that we feel fit the Utd identity or whatever, so... how come we're (potentially) signing this guy, then?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This should be a modest fee, modest wages deal, or else let another club take the risk. United have a limited amount of money to spend.
Haha!

Love how our fans seem to know our financial in goings and out goings.

How much money we got to spend this year mate? What’s the budget?

Really intrigued to know more!

izec

I thought we were supposed to be done with panic buys under Ole and we were only going to sign players that we feel fit the Utd identity or whatever, so... how come we're (potentially) signing this guy, then?
How is he a panic buy? We scouted him forever

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Mata's last crontract was 250k/week, so savings 100K/week is a good deal in Woodward's logic. McT still has a youth level contract, will get his 100kpw in the next signing.

At the end of the day, the number is depend on their agents.
Mata is not on £250k a week :lol: he was on £140k on his last contract and he reportedly didn't get much of a salary change in his latest contract: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/18/juan-mata-agrees-three-year-deal-manchester-united

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
How is he a panic buy? We scouted him forever
And in the summer we didn't buy him, now, in January, the worst possible time to buy, we're going to buy him because we have no midfield options available, for just as much money as we paid in the summer.

Sounds like a panic buy to me.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And in the summer we didn't buy him, now, in January, the worst possible time to buy, we're going to buy him because we have no midfield options available, for just as much money as we paid in the summer.

So was Maguire a panic buy too?

To be fair Spanner, we have no idea how much Sporting were asking in the Summer compared to how much we are prepared to pay now.

I’d guess there’s a sizeable difference.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
All the negativity in here! No players in, club is not doing their work. Players in, panic buy... Exiting news if you ask me. Will be interesting to see how Bruno handles the PL. I am positive. Maybe the best player in the Primera Liga. Expecting a hard working player with shots, tackles, creative passes and some nice goals.

SteveW

In what way does he not fit the Utd identity??

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
In what way does he not fit the Utd identity??
I never said he doesn't? I'm saying that's our supposed policy under Ole. A panic buy doesn't really fit that policy.

You can sugarcoat it all you want but buying a player we actively avoided in the summer, In January, in a position that we are short on players, is a panic buy.

I'm just concerned because our record our January is quite frankly, shit. I'd rather not buy anyone and wait til the summer.

Godfather

No, we were chasing Maguire all summer under Ole.
And we were chasing Bruno all summer just that Lissabon asked for too much money. Seems they lowered their demands. Sounds pretty much the same just that we should ha e bought him in the summer already looking at the state of our midfield.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, we were chasing Maguire all summer under Ole.
And it was well reported that he was wanted the previous summer under Jose, before it was vetoed. And then after De Ligt was written off, Koulibaly priced out, we went for Maguire and spent the required sum that we had only saved for a "Varane".

Summer and Jan means feck all. You don't know how much he was on offer last summer and you don't know what's being negotiated now. This isn't a surprise transfer, it's a target we've monitored over multiple windows that we've scouted over a long horizon. That's not a panic buy.

Flexdegea

I never said he doesn't? I'm saying that's our supposed policy under Ole. A panic buy doesn't really fit that policy.

You can sugarcoat it all you want but buying a player we actively avoided in the summer, In January, in a position that we are short on players, is a panic buy.

I'm just concerned because our record our January is quite frankly, shit. I'd rather not buy anyone and wait til the summer.

Panic buy, heard it all now :lol:

SteveW

They weren't certain about him in the summer so they watched him for another few months to be sure. He's a very good player in a position we badly need to strengthen. They've scouted him for ages. I struggle to see the problem here.

Marcelinho87

Maybe the club and Ole wanted to see if his form carried over another 6 months and it wasn't just a flash in the pan? I don't see this as a panic buy at all, especially with it being at the beginning and not the end of the window.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
And it was well reported that he was wanted the previous summer under Jose, before it was vetoed. And then after De Ligt was written off, Koulibaly priced out, we went for Maguire and spent the required sum that we had only saved for a "Varane".

Summer and Jan means feck all. You don't know how much he was on offer last summer and you don't know what's being negotiated now. This isn't a surprise transfer, it's a target we've monitored over multiple windows that we've scouted over a long horizon. That's not a panic buy.
Ehhh I'm not sure where you're getting that from, we were reportedly bidding for Maguire right from the off, just Leicester wouldn't lower their demands because they didn't need to and in the end we ended up paying what they wanted all along.

All your talk about Fernandes is speculation. We don't know how long we've monitored him and there's no proof the club were even after him in the summer at all.

Summer and January actually means a lot, as the latter is a notoriously more difficult time to purchase the right players.

GoldanoGraham

We may have actually signed him in the summer if we had a bit of foresight on the Lukaku deal.....without that our summer transfer outlay will have been massive and probably too much for the money men......getting £75m on the last day was too late in the day to do anything.....that’s another story though

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
They weren't certain about him in the summer so they watched him for another few months to be sure. He's a very good player in a position we badly need to strengthen. They've scouted him for ages. I struggle to see the problem here.
You could be right. I still think it's a big risk signing a player who's lit up the Portuguese league, mid way through the season. He won't have a pre season or time to adjust to how much more rigorous and physical the PL is. He won't get the space he gets in Portugal to score all those goals and assists. For me January is never a good time to buy players like that, but obviously I could be totally wrong and he could be great right from the off, let's see.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ehhh I'm not sure where you're getting that from, we were reportedly bidding for Maguire right from the off, just Leicester wouldn't lower their demands because they didn't need to and in the end we ended up paying what they wanted all along.

All your talk about Fernandes is speculation. We don't know how long we've monitored him and there's no proof the club were even after him in the summer at all.

Summer and January actually means a lot, as the latter is a notoriously more difficult time to purchase the right players.
You clearly haven't followed the summer properly.

De Ligt wasn't keen on us early on which pushed us to make a statement that we weren't pursuing him.

Koulibaly was well reported to be a target and the Napoli director said he had large bids from the Premier League on top. Its not just baseless speculation.

And Bruno has been a scouted target for a long time now. That's been well reported by very credible sources such as Athletic.

You've basically just looked at it being January, see that Bruno is a midfielder and reckon it's a panic buy. There is no basis on that whatsoever.

podurban2

Why doesn’t he fit the United identity?

SweetRightFoot

2. Bruno's Serie A record: How old was he when he was playing for Sampdoria? How can you compare his stats from 3/4 years ago to now when he is in his prime?
Looking at his club history, it seems Novara (Serie B) snapped him up as a youth player just before his 18th birthday. He then quickly moved to the first team and played a fair amount for a kid and they made the play offs.

Then Udinese brought him (19 years old) and he played about 90 games over 3 seasons scoring 10 times.

Moved to Sampdoria (22 years old) for a season and put up almost identical numbers, 30 odd games and getting 4 goals.

Since he's moved back to Portugal (23 years old) he's been the best player in the league for the last 2 and a half seasons. His individual honours list on Wikipedia speaks for itself. He's also been in the Europa League and Nations League team of the year over the last 2 and a half seasons so he's not just tearing up a mickey mouse league.

If you ask me, looks like he left home a bit too early, returned to Portugal, really cracked on and we may have an underrated gem who's just coming into his prime on our hands. He'll turn 26 at the end of the season so we should be getting the finished product. I am also expecting goals. A brief view of his highlights reel shows he can put them in the top bins with ease. He won't get the same space in the PL so I don't expect the same numbers but he will get the ball in the net. He's down as getting 67 goals in 133 games in Portugal, which is nuts. A striker with those figures would have suitors all over Europe.

Get your f*cking chequebook out Ed, don't drag this on so the fans don't get bored and ask for another signing this window.

pacifictheme

The worry isn't that we didn't buy him in the summer. Its that in the sumer the club was stupid enough to believe what we had in modfield was acceptable.

Marcelinho87

Likewise, you have no basis on which to call this a panic buy.

flappyjay

Something not right in this list, I mean, Mctominay is the lowest paid player in the squad with merely 10k per week? How does this make any sense at all?
Before this season he was being introduced from the academy. Clubs were not tried to get him from us so we didn't have to pay him more.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
You clearly haven't followed the summer properly.

De Ligt wasn't keen on us early on which pushed us to make a statement that we weren't pursuing him.

Koulibaly was well reported to be a target and the Napoli director said he had large bids from the Premier League on top. Its not just baseless speculation.

And Bruno has been a scouted target for a long time now. That's been well reported by very credible sources such as Athletic.

You've basically just looked at it being January, see that Bruno is a midfielder and reckon it's a panic buy. There is no basis on that whatsoever.
All your comments there are pure speculation. We were linked with Maguire from the start of the window.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I've only seen him play full matches a handful of times on tv but based on that and what I've seen on youtube there should be no doubt that he would be a massive upgrade on Lingard and Mata. It surprises me that there would be any negativity about him coming here, he looks a fantastic little player. Hard working and very inventive.

I'm still not convinced he's coming though.

jackal&hyde

You could be right. I still think it's a big risk signing a player who's lit up the Portuguese league, mid way through the season. He won't have a pre season or time to adjust to how much more rigorous and physical the PL is. He won't get the space he gets in Portugal to score all those goals and assists. For me January is never a good time to buy players like that, but obviously I could be totally wrong and he could be great right from the off, let's see.
I agree with the bold part and i think that makes him very much not a panic buy as we would expect him to take a bit of time to adjust. A panic buy would have been someone you expect to kick on immediately, a Madison for instance at a very high price.

Bruno looks much more like a long term target that we were prepared to wait until the price became more reasonable.

Judas

Open to offers
If you put a gun to my head, I’d say this one isn’t happening. There’s nothing outside the usual Portugese bullshit sources.
Apart from BBC journalists confirming we've been in talks with them? Pretty big difference to the summer where pretty much all of the UK press pack were denying all along that we were after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.