Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

0le

@sistoney67: Bruno Fernandes likes a shot doesn’t he?

@SimonPeach: Bruno Fernandes is lively. Must be a pain to play against

Plus a very reliable Journo for Milan (Reddit Tier 1) says we're close:

@PBPcalcio: @AidanWalshMUFC Not completed, but it’s near.
Can I just say, thank you for posting the raw text as well as the tweet, its very helpful because sometimes tweets do not load or are deleted. I wish it was the default action on the forum.

Dante

Average bang
And it's off.
He's not going to City, Bayern, Juve, PSG or Barca.

That means the titles he'd be happy to fight for are the Europa League or domestic cups. We're definitely in the running.

And in terms of plans 'at the sporting level', no other team can offer him the chance to build a massive club around his specific talents. We're a blank slate and he has the unique chance to leave a mark.

Devil may care

He was decent tonight but to me he's not suited to playing with Pogba, certainly not in a 4-3-3, no matter who the DM was, and we still lack a player who can control a game as he doesn't keep the ball and control play, he's loioking to play it forward nearly every time.

Zoo

The Tier 1 Milan journo has spoken again.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I still haven’t seen enough personally. Like, he has a lot of self-confidence which I like a lot, and has a good strike, but I was hoping to be able to judge more of the ‘nitty-gritty’ midfield work tbh. All good shooting from anywhere within 40 yards, but I wanted to see a creative midfielder who knits the play together. Still don’t think he’s what we need, especially with Pogba. I want a creative midfielder who will be in the thick of it, not on the end of it.

And who gives a feck about a ‘Tier-1 for Milan’ by the way?

Dante

Average bang
The Tier 1 Milan journo has spoken again.

One throw-away tweet, I can ignore. But this guy keeps hammering home the same story.

Given that he seems to have a reputation to protect, I'm leaning towards believing him.

It'd be mental for him to repeat the same thing over and over again, with an increasing amount of detail, unless he knew something the rest of us didn't.

Looking at his profile pic, he's not a shock jock, is he? That's the only thing that would give me doubts about his honesty. If he is, this might just be an elaborate wind-up with Milan fans in on the joke.

Reincarnated

Played a good game for Portugal. I really want us to sign him. Hating all the Spurs/Liverpool talk.

WPMUFC

Credible AC Milan journo going in hard on Bruno to MUFC :houllier::houllier:

Not what i was expecting, but i'll take it. :drool:

Also claiming his source is not Abola

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
@SportingCP96

Hey, just curious. The position where Bruno plays normally for Sporting, is it the same one with where he played last night against Netherlands?

All I saw was he played in CM position in midfield 3 not AM. During defensive structure that’s where he operates also includes when the team had possession. Obviously compared to William last night, Bruno had license to go forward which is normal for the advanced CM in midfield 3.

This explains why whoscored shows CM as his most played position last season with Sporting Lisbon.

Style no where near Mkhytaryan. Don’t think his position or role even the same.

He likes to shoot a lot, got good instinct for passing, his crossing brilliant with pace on them, off the ball he’s good, has a few flair in him as well & willing to run back to help defense. The only worry is that he’s lightweight for PL but this can be solved depends on if he knows how to anticipate his weakness, there are many way to anticipate this.

Last edited:

The Nani

The worry is he's Pogba's replacement. And that would be unacceptable.
Don’t think that’s the worry at all as I don’t see anyone stumping up the cash for Pogba this summer.

But if so, we’d be able to buy him and someone like Tielemans and have money left in the bank. We could feasibly buy a brand new midfield if Pogba leaves with barely any outlay.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we replace Pogba and Herrera with a trio of Bruno Fernandes, rabiot and Tielemans, I'd be happy tbh.

Dante

Average bang
If we replace Pogba and Herrera with a trio of Bruno Fernandes, rabiot and Tielemans, I'd be happy tbh.
I'm not sure about Rabiot's suitability to shield the defence as a holding midfielder. But in principle, I agree with your overall point.

I'd personally go for Bruno, Tielemans and Rice.

In any case, Pogba is hardly irreplaceable. 6 non-penalty goals and 9 assists is hardly pulling up any trees. Whether Bruno can translate his 14 non-penalty goals and 13 assists to a similar total in the PL remains to be seen. But at the very least, he's shown he has the workrate to contribute even when he's off form.

Hanky panky

If he’s being as Pogba’s replacement with Rabiot as Herrera’s replacement. And we use Pogba’s money to buy Sancho, would you accept that?
I would, but it's not going to happen. i was against Pogba's sale but it doesn't feel that bad idea anymore. I mean he's our best player, but if he doesn't want to stay here, then let him go. We need a players who want to play for United and are ready to work hard. Not sure about Pogba. Bored to watching lazy players, even if they can do things many others can't. Im sure there is talented and motivated players available also. You need both, one of those are not enough.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I still think he is better as support striker (closer to goal) like where Mata and Lingard is playing now.

Really hope we don't limit our CM signing to him.

Rabiot, Matic,Pogba, Bruno could work.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I still haven’t seen enough personally. Like, he has a lot of self-confidence which I like a lot, and has a good strike, but I was hoping to be able to judge more of the ‘nitty-gritty’ midfield work tbh. All good shooting from anywhere within 40 yards, but I wanted to see a creative midfielder who knits the play together. Still don’t think he’s what we need, especially with Pogba. I want a creative midfielder who will be in the thick of it, not on the end of it.

And who gives a feck about a ‘Tier-1 for Milan’ by the way?
Besides, we have Rashford for those shots.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not sure about Rabiot's suitability to shield the defence as a holding midfielder. But in principle, I agree with your overall point.

In any case, Pogba is hardly irreplaceable. 6 non-penalty goals and 9 assists is hardly pulling up any trees. Whether Bruno can translate his 14 non-penalty goals and 13 assists to a similar total in the PL remains to be seen. But at the very least, he's shown he has the workrate to contribute even when he's off form.
Yeah, agree on both accounts. I dont personally think pogba-bruno Fernandes can play together properly, but we'll see if it happens. I would be happy overall if we did a full revamp though. Pogbas just a weird player that is hard to properly balance the midfield with, so I dont think it would hurt us that much. It's just a shame not getting the most out of him because he is talented, but maybe he just never puts it all together consistently. Wouldnt be the first time that happened.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Tiber

I think he is going to be brilliant. The players I love usually end up at City though

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Even if we do sign Bruno, answer me this...

Currently, we lack a cm to build up/control the game for us. We have no-one who does this for us properly.

Him & Pogba are similar profiles of player. They both ideally want to be on the end of passes. They aren't there to build-up.

So, even if best case scenario & Pogba stays, we are still going to have this problem.

It only makes sense to me alongside someone like Rabiot being brought in too.

Doesn't it seem a bit strange to anyone else?

Last edited:

peridigm

Currently, we lack a cm to build up/control the game for us. We have no-one who does this for us properly.

Him & Pogba are similar profiles of player. They both ideally want to be on the end of passes. They aren't there to build-up.

So, even if best case scenario & Pogba stays, we are still going to have this problem.

I don’t think Pogba will be here next season but to answer your last question, no. It would be normal considering our transfer business the past 6 years.

Tiber

Pogba either goes this year or next. Signing a playmaker to build the side around long term right now is an excellent move imo

Matic's awfulness will need to be addressed (the best way to do this was to stop Jose from signing Chelsea rejects in the first place) but I suspect that will have to wait until next year

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don’t think Pogba will be here next season but to answer your last question, no. It would be normal considering our transfer business the past 6 years.
I don't think he will be either, Bruno looks like a clear replacement.

Aren't we led to believe that the club had learnt from past mistakes? :wenger:

If the plan is to bring him in on his own, astute player he may be, I fail to see how that changes anything for us.

I really hope the links to Rabiot are true and he comes here. A controlling cm is a key signing for me.

Teja

Pogba can play slightly deeper and we'll instantly get the control we need during build up. Ole has said he can use Pogba as a deeper midfielder and not as an attacking player in the left half space as well. The only concern is that he switches off a bit during defence and doesn't track back sometimes when he loses the ball in attack which can be dangerous.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Pogba either goes this year or next. Signing a playmaker to build the side around long term right now is an excellent move imo

Matic's awfulness will need to be addressed (the best way to do this was the stop Jose from signing Chelsea rejects) but I suspect that will have to wait until next year
I don't mind Matic. His immobility is a problem against the best teams but we can cover for that. His intelligence & calm influence is something we lack as a team so he's still got his uses.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
@SportingCP96

Hey, just curious. The position where Bruno plays normally for Sporting, is it the same one with where he played last night against Netherlands?

All I saw was he played in CM position in midfield 3 not AM. During defensive structure that’s where he operates also includes when the team had possession. Obviously compared to William last night, Bruno had license to go forward which is normal for the advanced CM in midfield 3.

This explains why whoscored shows CM as his most played position last season with Sporting Lisbon.

Style no where near Mkhytaryan. Don’t think his position or role even the same.

He likes to shoot a lot, got good instinct for passing, his crossing brilliant with pace on them, off the ball he’s good, has a few flair in him as well & willing to run back to help defense. The only worry is that he’s lightweight for PL but this can be solved depends on if he knows how to anticipate his weakness, there are many way to anticipate this.
So last night he played a little deeper then he does for Sporting. In Sporting he if the furthest man in midfield with license to get in and around the box. The reason Santos played him a little deeper is because 1. His engine and defensive contribution helps a lot and 2. Bernardo as the RM has license to move and drift into he middle in positions that Fernandes would normally occupy if at Sporting.

I have said before he can play in the CM position as well but he will always get forward its his nature and even when he plays in an AM role he will always drop back and help in defense he is a workhorse.

He is lightweight but "strong" if that makes sense. Also nothing a few gym sessions for a few months or during an off season wont fix.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So last night he played a little deeper then he does for Sporting. In Sporting he if the furthest man in midfield with license to get in and around the box. The reason Santos played him a little deeper is because 1. His engine and defensive contribution helps a lot and 2. Bernardo as the RM has license to move and drift into he middle in positions that Fernandes would normally occupy if at Sporting.

I have said before he can play in the CM position as well but he will always get forward its his nature and even when he plays in an AM role he will always drop back and help in defense he is a workhorse.

He is lightweight but "strong" if that makes sense. Also nothing a few gym sessions for a few months or during an off season wont fix.
Won’t expect that as how players can anticipate lightweight. There are many ways though, but if you think he’s strong or may be in my definition could be tough then he may be should be fine playing in English culture.

Him & Bernardo were the highlights last night. They also looks good together, wish we have Bernardo in our team. :lol:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Won’t expect that as how players can anticipate lightweight. There are many ways though, but if you think he’s strong or may be in my definition could be tough then he may be should be fine playing in English culture.

Him & Bernardo were the highlights last night. They also looks good together, wish we have Bernardo in our team. :lol:
They complimented each other well and had good chemistry for sure. I am glad he was able to play centrally where he could show his actual ability.

flappyjay

Dont judge Pogba on goals and assists only.

Fer

Pogba can play slightly deeper and we'll instantly get the control we need during build up. Ole has said he can use Pogba as a deeper midfielder and not as an attacking player in the left half space as well. The only concern is that he switches off a bit during defence and doesn't track back sometimes when he loses the ball in attack which can be dangerous.

IMO we would need a mobile defensive midfielder like Kante, Casemiro, etc to balance a midfield with Pogba and Fernandes.

Wan Bissaka would be a big improvement. The RW position is a priority, I hope we can do our best to get Sancho. He should be our top signing.

Considering what you said about Pogba, we could even play a 4231:

Rashford/Martial
James/Martial - Fernandes - Sancho
Pogba - CDM
Shaw - CB - Lindelof - Wan Bissaka
De Gea

If we can't get Sancho or a top RW. Then 442 (diamond) would be our best choice.

Martial - Rashford
Fernandes
Pogba - CM
CDM
Shaw - CB - Lindelof - RB
De Gea​

We need to sign 5 starters with either formation.

The Mad Manc

If I am paying 70m for a 24 year old, you are buying someone entering into peak and so, expect an immediate impact. Nothing wrong with it.
You are paying because of the circumstances. That being: had a great season with lots of goals/assists, full international, contracted until 2023 and lots of interest from other big clubs. He is not the finished article and shouldn't be viewed as such. That's not say he wouldn't have an immediate impact but typically a player of his ilk peaks around 27

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If I am paying 70m for a 24 year old, you are buying someone entering into peak and so, expect an immediate impact. Nothing wrong with it.
Let me tell you something : Fred costed us 50m. We're bad at getting cheap price for players but we'll be even worse if We let good players slip again, especially if They go to Mancity, pool or tottenham.

Status
Not open for further replies.