Bukayo Saka

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeh1991

Still hasn't signed a contract. I would bet 80m on him instead of Antony (I know chances are very slim but who knows?)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Still hasn't signed a contract. I would bet 80m on him instead of Antony (I know chances are very slim but who knows?)
Good bump.

CM

He's about to sign a new contract. Arteta has more or less said as much.

Besides, if an Eredivisie side can smell the stench of desperation on us to the extent they're refusing an €80m bid, I doubt a Premier League club will be swayed for a young English player. Olise would be the better bet if he has that release clause in his contract.

FatTails

Arsenal won’t sell us one of their better players and help us beat them to fifth.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Saka, Martinelli and Saliba new contracts will be addressed one ethe transfer windows closes.

As for 80m for Saka? Why? Why wouldn't we quote you 200m ? Why would se sell on the discount when united have proven to be willing to pay well over the odds?

Bwuk

Would be a bit surprised if he signs a new contract.

City will be after a winger next year - and I’d imagine Pep would be interested.

Ole'sattheWheel

Saka, Martinelli and Saliba new contracts will be addressed one ethe transfer windows closes.

As for 80m for Saka? Why? Why wouldn't we quote you 200m ? Why would se sell on the discount when united have proven to be willing to pay well over the odds?
Because he’s got 2 years left and you’re a selling club.

Ole'sattheWheel

No, you're wrong there, we are not a selling club, we are a pay player to leave club. ;)
:lol: In all seriousness I think arsenal are doing a great job recruiting-wise since Arteta came in. Patient and measured with some astute signings/departures.
I think we were gonna go for a similar model with ten Hag but panicked after the last 2 games

aeh1991

I genuinely have the feeling that Saka could somehow be tempted to move to United. And he would be the right player profile (left-footed, pacey winger who can score 15+ goals per season). Should defo keep an eye on his contract situation regardless of possibility.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Even if he doesn't sign on, there would be no point selling him this year. He'd go for 100m even with one year left on his contract. Similar to Rice, Bellingham or any of the English first team regulars below the age of 24.

Vapor trail

Even if he doesn't sign on, there would be no point selling him this year. He'd go for 100m even with one year left on his contract. Similar to Rice, Bellingham or any of the English first team regulars below the age of 24.
Saka would never sell for 100 million with one year left. That's not the case with Rice or Bellingham who both have multiple years left on their contracts.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Saka would never sell for 100 million with one year left. That's not the case with Rice or Bellingham who both have multiple years left on their contracts.
Whatever 70million then. Arsenal can take the 30m hit with the hope that he signs on in this year.
Unpopular opinion*: I don’t think Saka is all that.

*Or is it? Surely there’s plenty out there who fail to see what all the hype is about? :nervous:
There are also plenty out there who don't watch him that much. You'll find that there's a near perfect overlap of people who fail to see the hype and those that dont watch him regularly.

Swedish_Plumber

He’s been consistently good for Arsenal the past year/18months at RW, hasn’t played LWB for ages and gets played there and is ineffective tonight.

Southgate doesn’t know what he’s doing.

AFC NimbleThumb

He’s been consistently good for Arsenal the past year/18months at RW, hasn’t played LWB for ages and gets played there and is ineffective tonight.

Southgate doesn’t know what he’s doing.
The bar for Saka is not the same bar others seem to be judged by. Tonight at LWB made no sense though, agreed.

Monks_United

He is not an LWB. But Southgate would rather accommodate the likes of Sterling than play the better form players in their preferred formation. Should have had Saka at RW and if he wanted to go with Foden then play him at LW where he does his best work. Not taking someone like Sancho for the LW was stupid.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Hard to judge anyone on Southgates tactics. I think the only 2 players that actually look better under him than for their clubs are Pickford and Maguire.

Devil81

Saka for Arsenal is less restricted than the Saka asked to defend by Southgate.

He's technically fantastic, would be a brilliant addition to any squad. He won't leave Arsenal though, big club going places.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
The bar for Saka is not the same bar others seem to be judged by. Tonight at LWB made no sense though, agreed.
He has the most goal contributions of any Arsenal young player (U21) barring Cesc Fabregas, despite playing a third of his games in our defence.

He was our Player of the Year last year and - unlike the England Player of the Year - he thoroughly deserved it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think he's a good RW but he doesn't look like he's ever going to be a great one to me. I still maintain he needs to play down the middle somewhere to make best use of his energy and ball carrying ability. You can't be a top winger these days if you don't score that many goals.

AFC NimbleThumb

He has the most goal contributions of any Arsenal young player (U21) barring Cesc Fabregas, despite playing a third of his games in our defence.

He was our Player of the Year last year and - unlike the England Player of the Year - he thoroughly deserved it.
Time will tell.

Ah, I see.

As previously stated, I’m not sold on Saka. At all. Did he get named England POTY yesterday despite zero goals, zero assists and zero wins in 2022 to date? Crikey! :lol:
Agreed, though I admit, I haven’t watched many of his Arsenal games (Rebound goals against Utd aside).

He looked a bit of a headless chicken for England in the last Euros. Able to get in good positions but lacking a final ball.

In the later part of the Semi Final, against Denmark, Saka looked lost. England were on top, Grealish and Foden started to tie Denmark in knots but Saka looked like the odd man out. I actually thought that Sancho would have been a perfect sub in that particular game.

I can see why, a defence first coach like Southgate, likes him as he can use his pace to get in good positions without the support of his teammates, but I’m not convinced.
Ah, I see.

As previously stated, I’m not sold on Saka. At all. Did he get named England POTY yesterday despite zero goals, zero assists and zero wins in 2022 to date? Crikey! :lol:
Agreed, though I admit, I mainly watched him in the Euros, and I haven’t watched many of his Arsenal games (Rebound goals against Utd aside).

He looked a bit of a headless chicken for England in the last Euros. Able to get in good positions but lacks a final ball.

In the later part of the Semi-Final, against Denmark, Saka looked lost. England were on top, Grealish and Foden started to tie Denmark in knots, but Saka looked like the odd man out. I thought Sancho would have been a perfect sub in that particular game.

I can see why a defence-first coach like Southgate likes him as he can use his pace to get in good positions without the support of his teammates, but I’m not convinced

hodgey123

Crazy to me how you can shift Saka to LWB and expect him to perform in a 5-man defence given the freedom he plays with on the right for Arsenal. He also has almost exclusively played at RW for England, including in the Euros, so if you are going to play him then play him there! I would probably still have Sancho over him at the moment but surely no one can be reading anything into his performance on Thursday!

Abraxas

I think he's a really good player. I'd take him all day, he's a really valuable option to have on the right with his pace and ability. I don't think there are many clubs that wouldn't like him with his age and profile. Completely misused by Southgate.

He just needs to kick on and become more clinical for Arsenal. That's the next step if he really wants to be one of the big boys.

JB7

Ah, I see.

Yeah regardless of views on Saka as a player that was a completely insane decision, I can only presume Arsenal fans took over the voting for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.