Burnley sack Sean Dyche

marktan

The problem is, they have a crap squad, if the new manager bounce doesn't work they'll be languishing in the lower leagues for a long time, especially with all the debt the Americans have pilled on.

I don't like the football Dyche plays but he's got an excellent record in the Championship, even if they did go down surely you'd want him as the manager there. I suspect Burnley will become a textbook example of why LBOs and football are a bad idea, where unlike United they won't have an ever rising stream of income to pay the interest and debt down.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Pretty poor decision in my opinion. The guy has, it seems, worked wonders with a limited budget, and reasonable, but mostly not top notch, players. Would certainly do our defence a lot of good if he came in as a defensive coach, not that that is likely.
His son Max is currently on the books of my local team, Northampton Town, although he has been on loan to Brackley, wonder if Sean would move back to this area?

SirMattlives

Genuinely surprised at this. Have to think the owners have someone in mind for a quick appointment -- any Burnley folks here have an idea?

Classical Mechanic

Pretty poor decision in my opinion. The guy has, it seems, worked wonders with a limited budget, and reasonable, but mostly not top notch, players. Would certainly do our defence a lot of good if he came in as a defensive coach, not that that is likely.
His son Max is currently on the books of my local team, Northampton Town, although he has been on loan to Brackley, wonder if Sean would move back to this area?
He never left Northampton. He stayed in a flat with Iain Woan a few nights a week in Burnley according to an article on the previous page.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
This is nothing short of criminal by their board, the guy has a net spend or just over £20m over the last 5 years. I’d have said Dyche would have happily stayed with them in the Championship and brought them back up.

Abraxas

To be fair to him, I'd consider him a relatively unexposed manager in that he could be a lot better than Burnley and it's hard to say how good he is as a result. They've been poor this year but that's going to happen eventually when you're always flirting with relegation and then doing little to progress the squad. It was as if they wanted to tempt fate each and every year.

I think he did the maximum possible there over the years. Thoroughly uninspiring set of footballers. It will be interesting to see him somewhere else because he won't be able to go with the "little old Burnley" routine necessarily. Some managers are good at punching above their weight but when the expectations are set higher really struggle.

Castia

4 wins in 30 games. Correct decision.
Sold his best striker In January whilst already performing miracles on their budget.

They should have gone down years ago I don’t know how he’s managed to keep them up in all honesty.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair to him, I'd consider him a relatively unexposed manager in that he could be a lot better than Burnley and it's hard to say how good he is as a result. They've been poor this year but that's going to happen eventually when you're always flirting with relegation and then doing little to progress the squad. It was as if they wanted to tempt fate each and every year.

I think he did the maximum possible there over the years. Thoroughly uninspiring set of footballers. It will be interesting to see him somewhere else because he won't be able to go with the "little old Burnley" routine necessarily. Some managers are good at punching above their weight but when the expectations are set higher really struggle.
He done well with Watford too, giving them their best finish in 4 years. I honestly feel sorry For managers like Dyche. Sadly his persona gets mocked constantly and his playing style criticised yet it’s effective in the situation he is in. I think Everton could do a lot worse than to replace Frank with him at the end of the season.

Gator Nate

Dyche is better off out of there. He's been a good manager working with one of the smallest budgets in the league. I genuinely don't know what they expected him to do with what he had available.
Dyche is probably the biggest winner here, the next team that gets him the second biggest, and Burnley the biggest loser. No incoming manager will save them now.

That's Rangnick fecked then.
The timing of the Ten Hag announcement is becoming clearer... :lol:

Dan-Utd

If they had kept Chris Wood they may have escaped relegation, although in terms of quality, Everton, Leeds and Southampton are better off, Newcastle were always going to spend big and become better off, Brentford have a first season buzz going on and the signing of Christian Eriksen pretty much guarantees survival... the Premier League is so strong this year that a club who don't invest or don't invest well isn't going to stay up by getting lucky.

Selling a striker for £25 million when you are struggling and only spending £14 million of that to replace him - isn't going to work, the problem is getting a good proven striker to sign for a struggling team in January is almost impossible and even if you do get one - if you get relegated the financial burden could damage the club.

I would have either spent the left over £10 million from the Chris Wood sale on buying a proven Championship striker or spent just the whole £25 million on 2 proven Championship strikers so that if they got relegated they have the tools in the box to get back up next season - getting back out of the Championship is not easy either.

Have they just sacked the best man for a Championship promotion push? will the American owners be willing to spend?

Daniel Farke and David Wagner are both free :smirk:

Abraxas

He done well with Watford too, giving them their best finish in 4 years. I honestly feel sorry For managers like Dyche. Sadly his persona gets mocked constantly and his playing style criticised yet it’s effective in the situation he is in. I think Everton could do a lot worse than to replace Frank with him at the end of the season.
Hard to say much about playing style when he's at Burnley. Most of their players are very white bread. Just run around merchants for the most part so a basic style was always going to be logical. But that's also partly what I mean about expectation, if he went to Everton say...he'd have to change it up. Not massively as they've always been a combative side historically, but he'd have to do more.

Cornet was a pretty inspired buy. If they hadn't sold Wood I think they'd be looking 50/50 for relegation right now, whereas they're massively odds on.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Hard to say much about playing style when he's at Burnley. Most of their players are very white bread. Just run around merchants for the most part so a basic style was always going to be logical. But that's also partly what I mean about expectation, if he went to Everton say...he'd have to change it up. Not massively as they've always been a combative side historically, but he'd have to do more.

Cornet was a pretty inspired buy. If they hadn't sold Wood I think they'd be looking 50/50 for relegation right now, whereas they're massively odds on.
Totally agree, I’d like to see him given the chance at a club that would expect a *better* brand of football. Until then he will always be seen as what he has produced at Burnley.

Raven

I quite like Sean Dyche, hopefully he can get a decent gig in the near future.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Although it's a weird move it's probably good for them both. Dyche now has nothing to stop him taking another job (Feel like his loyalty to Burnley always stopped him moving on) and Burnley have one last chance at trying to stay up. I remember the outcry when that bloke at Southampton was sacked and then Poch/Koeman etc. did far better.
Yeah the cult of managers in football is bizzare, even ones who do outright shit jobs are showered with sympathy and faux outrage on their behalf when they finally get what they deserve (Steve Bruce at Newcastle). It's a lot more of a grey area with Dyche but if a player version (great in the past but starting to stagnate) got discarded no one would bat an eyelid.

I actually spoke to a friend who supports Burnley a few months ago and according to him it's all fallen apart since they've started to get investment. Despite getting in the likes of Cornett and Weghorst it's still the same formation, tactics and relying on wonder goals. I guess it once again brings back the argument of doing well on a shoestring doesn't always translate to brilliance once you get the money.

Gandalf

Surprising decision to say the least regardless of where they sit in the table and it feels like a panic reaction to the Norwich defeat but it is baffling why they would wait until 48 hours before the next game to act.

I don't follow Burnley closely enough to know all of the ins and outs there but it is clear Sean has worked miracles for years and a season like this one was always inevitable at some point and yet he still seems the best bet to keep them up and more to the point already has a track record of winning promotion from the Championship should they go down. I can understand new owners wanting to set a new course but the time to act would have been January, bring in a new profile of manager and give them the Chris Wood money to spend. With 8 games to go there is nothing much anyone can do at this stage so it smacks of desperation and a decision made just to create the illusion of doing something positive.

Abraxas

Yeah the cult of managers in football is bizzare, even ones who do outright shit jobs are showered with sympathy and faux outrage on their behalf when they finally get what they deserve (Steve Bruce at Newcastle). It's a lot more of a grey area with Dyche but if a player version (great in the past but starting to stagnate) got discarded no one would bat an eyelid.

I actually spoke to a friend who supports Burnley a few months ago and according to him it's all fallen apart since they've started to get investment. Despite getting in the likes of Cornett and Weghorst it's still the same formation, tactics and relying on wonder goals. I guess it once again brings back the argument of doing well on a shoestring doesn't always translate to brilliance once you get the money.
But what is "starting to get investment" in reality? It sounds good but it's the core of the same side.

Weghorst in and Wood out isn't an upgrade by any stretch.

They've signed Cornet, brilliant. That's good business but most PL sides are signing a Cornet 2 or 3 times each summer. They might not turn out as well, but in terms of finance and working in the market that's nothing spectacular in terms of investment.

Acole9

Outstanding
I was shocked when I read this earlier. What the hell are they thinking?! Pretty much sealed their fate now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But what is "starting to get investment" in reality? It sounds good but it's the core of the same side.

Weghorst in and Wood out isn't an upgrade by any stretch.

They've signed Cornet, brilliant. That's good business but most PL sides are signing a Cornet 2 or 3 times each summer. They might not turn out as well, but in terms of finance and working in the market that's nothing spectacular in terms of investment.
Nathan Collins for £14m aswell. Not much for modern standards granted but it still a decent wedge for Burnley and shouldn't have translated to one win in half a season.

Schmeichel=God

that will have to wait. he’ll have already booked a two week all inclusive from t’teletext to the costa del sol. he’ll bemoan the food at the hotel and find a cafe run by expats and eat 3 full english a day, only returning to the hotel to drink the free lager around the pool and take numerous, horrible, greasy shits in their facilities.
:lol::lol:
Love the way your mind works.
Had to log on just to say ty for this proper laugh out loud

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He never left Northampton. He stayed in a flat with Iain Woan a few nights a week in Burnley according to an article on the previous page.
Ah, ok, didn't know that, thanks for the info.
Would love him to get involved with The Cobblers, but I would imagine he would get picked up by another Prem or championship club during the summer.

Pearl.Jam

For a man who gargles gravel he’s actually done quite well for himself..hope Burnley go down and stay down now, arse boil of a club

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
The next Luton Town manager ahoy!.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Sold his best striker In January whilst already performing miracles on their budget.

They should have gone down years ago I don’t know how he’s managed to keep them up in all honesty.
Probably tension around that sale caused his departure. Can't believe it was his decision .

Lecland07

Weird decision. He has pulled them out of relegation several times - I don't see who they can get who is more proven at doing that, especially with Burnley.

To be honest, I think the new owners would have got rid of him, anyway, in the future.

He's done a fantastic job - they don't spend anything and sold their best striker in January.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Weird decision. He has pulled them out of relegation several times - I don't see who they can get who is more proven at doing that, especially with Burnley.

To be honest, I think the new owners would have got rid of him, anyway, in the future.

He's done a fantastic job - they don't spend anything and sold their best striker in January.
Apparently they want Ole? :lol: Considering Dyche has got promotion twice I think, it’s a complete feck of a decision.

Jezpeza

Is this going to turn out like when Stoke fired Pulis?
i’d say so. The burnley board probably have this idea of getting a flowery manager in to play modern football. They’ll buy big by championship on ‘skillful’ players thanks to parachute money but then fail to be promoted and get into financial trouble. Many teams have done it already

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
i’d say so. The burnley board probably have this idea of getting a flowery manager in to play modern football. They’ll buy big by championship on ‘skillful’ players thanks to parachute money but then fail to be promoted and get into financial trouble. Many teams have done it already
Or alternatively if could work like it has at Brighton and did at Southampton (when back to back promotion winner Adkins was punted in favour of Pochettino).

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Their quality is so far off PL standard. This is a poison chalice for anyone coming in.

Not the most popular manager, or the most stylish, but to keep that team in the top division for so long is a miracle. If it were anyone else, they would have been down in their second season after the initial enthusiasm and bounce had disappeared.

It’s been an exceptional job and I think he can feel very proud of they work he did there.

Jezpeza

Or alternatively if could work like it has at Brighton and did at Southampton (when back to back promotion winner Adkins was punted in favour of Pochettino).
what the brighton and southampton sides that were already in the PL and brought those managers in?

Abraxas

Nathan Collins for £14m aswell. Not much for modern standards granted but it still a decent wedge for Burnley and shouldn't have translated to one win in half a season.
Never even heard of him. Just don't think buying a young centre back and Weghorst can compensate for losing your main striker that is perfect for you and for a bottom of the table struggle. Wipes out the benefit of this investment in my opinion. Really it's only Cornet that is adding quality.

Poor results yes, but eventually it was going to happen with the way Burnley operated. Only so long you can run things on a shoe string and not end up having an irredeemable position.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Never even heard of him. Just don't think buying a young centre back and Weghorst can compensate for losing your main striker that is perfect for you and for a bottom of the table struggle. Wipes out the benefit of this investment in my opinion. Really it's only Cornet that is adding quality.

Poor results yes, but eventually it was going to happen with the way Burnley operated. Only so long you can run things on a shoe string and not end up having an irredeemable position.
There's poor then there's poor.

1 win in 21 (the majority with Wood still there) is beyond bad. As it happens win number 2 was a Weghorst masterclass at Brighton.

Ironically it was probably his credit in the bank that got him this long. A manager with no previous don't survive a run like that unless their boss is Mike Ashley.

m1tch

Bonkers decision. I reckon he's stepped over the line in discussions about things with the board or something and that's what's got him sacked. Burnley are gonna have a big job appointing the right manager next.

Pickle85

Apparently they want Ole? :lol: Considering Dyche has got promotion twice I think, it’s a complete feck of a decision.
Wasn't the ole quote made up by some random? Ornstein himself quoted the dude and asked him to take it down as it was made up.