Sat, 30 August 2014 @ 12:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 17 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
    Don't be too sure. Burnley used to be one of our bogey teams back in the day. Last time we went to Turf Moor we ended up losing 0-1. With the injuries we've got, I'll be happy with a point.
    But considering the situation we're in now, we need to be beating the weakest team in the league. When we lost 1-0 to Burnley, we'd beaten Wigan and Birmingham either side of the fixture, and Arsenal a couple of weeks after... right now we've lost at home to Swansea and drawn with Sunderland after TERRIBLE performances.

A win is a must in my opinion.

Barry Crocker

So it will be Cleverly and Fletcher again in CM. And probably Young LWB and Valencia RWB if Rojo is out.
    Can see this being a tough game with that dross playing. I guess we could play Di Maria CM but the lack of defenders is really hurting us. Rafael needs to return ASAP same with Shaw.

LR7

Cleverley going would leave Fletch as the only available CM. Slightly concerning.

DeMono

If Cleverly does leave, who will play in CM? Herrera is still injured.:nervous:

Maybe bring in Pearson/Lawrence? Our second team is clearly not good enough.

RedSRM

Can't believe Herrera and Rojo are still unavailable. Our forward players need to fecking step up now, because the rest of the side sure as hell aren't up to it. Rooney, Van Persie, Mata, Januzaj and now Di Maria need to show their quality. We should be able to outscore these sides with that frontline. To drop points again this weekend would be pretty disastrous.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
    De Gea
    Valencia -Jones - Smailling/Evans - Blackett
    Fletcher - Powell/Kagawa
    Mata ---------- Di Maria
    Rooney - Welbeck
    Subs: Lindergaard, M. Keane, James, Kagawa, Januzaj, Van Persie, Wilson

Powell was not that bad against mk dons and I have faith that if giving time to develop at United, he can be almost or as influential as lampard or ramsey in the final third. Welbeck over Van Persie to give our attack more balance and provide a partner for Rooney that makes him perform better.

RedSRM

De Gea
    Smalling Evans Blackett
    Valencia Jones Fletcher Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Van Persie

I would also consider including Januzaj instead of Mata or Van Persie possibly. (Of course this is assuming the 3-5-2 is gonna be used again.)​

Overhead

If Cleverly does leave, who will play in CM? Herrera is still injured.:nervous:

Maybe bring in Pearson/Lawrence? Our second team is clearly not good enough.
    Fletcher - Di Maria - Mata in 3-5-2? Looks quite vulnerable defensively but can't see too many options there. May be Jones instead of Fletcher in DM and play Evans - Rojo - Blacket in defense but I doubt Jones will be moved out of defense at this moment.

santeria13

Sublemon
    What I'd like to see:

-------------De Gea-------------
    Rafael---Evans--Smalling---Blackett--
    --------------Jones-----------------
    -----Fletcher--------Di Maria-------
    --------------Mata---------------
    ---Welbeck-------RVP/Rooney-

A 4-4-2 Diamond. Evans did have a very bad game vs MK Dons but it was his first game back from injury, and generally he has always looked more comfortable in a back 4. I think he has looked shaky in a back 3 in all our games, including pre-season. Jones as a defensive shield, with Fletcher and Di Maria ahead of him. I honestly can't see a better way to go with our midfield options for this weekend. Also I want to see Welbeck or Januzaj start next to either RVP or Rooney. Welbeck tends to make our other Striker look better whereas RVP and Rooney just cancel each other out in my opinion. They're too slow and static together.

What I think we will see:

--------------De Gea---------------
    -------Jones--Smalling--Blackett----
    Di Maria---------------------------Young--
    -----------Fletcher--Cleverley---------
    -----------------Mata----------------
    -----------RVP--------Rooney

and if I see this line up I honestly won't bother watching the game

NessunDorma

Couldn't have come at a worse time this game, really. It's just a distraction from us getting on with doing what football is all about: and that's signing new players.

Just need to get it out of the way, and the real business can then begin.

GRon

I think a midfield Diamond of Jones as the CDM and Fletcher and Di Maria the 2 CM's, with Mata in front of them will be the best way to go for this.
    I would be worried about Blackett and Evans being our two starting CBs though.

santeria13

Sublemon
    I would be worried about Blackett and Evans being our two starting CBs though.
    Isn't Smalling fit for this one? A lot of people are including him in the line up. If he's not, I agree. Though Evans seems to be a lot more comfortable in a back 4 opposed to a back 3, in which he has seemed lost pretty much every time he's played in it. If Smalling is fit, I think he and Evans can do the job for this game.

GRon

Isn't Smalling fit for this one? A lot of people are including him in the line up. If he's not, I agree. Though Evans seems to be a lot more comfortable in a back 4 opposed to a back 3, in which he has seemed lost pretty much every time he's played in it. If Smalling is fit, I think he and Evans can do the job for this game.
    I thought Smalling had a hamstring injury, and was out for a couple of weeks. I could be wrong though.

santeria13

Sublemon
    I thought Smalling had a hamstring injury, and was out for a couple of weeks. I could be wrong though.
    Same here, but looking at the line ups over the last 2 pages I assumed someone heard he was good to go. So hard to tell with all our injuries recently :lol:. Having Rojo for this game would have been a life-saver

GRon

Same here, but looking at the line ups over the last 2 pages I assumed someone heard he was good to go. So hard to tell with all our injuries recently :lol:. Having Rojo for this game would have been a life-saver
    The Rojo deal again showcased Woodward's ineptness. It is crazy that he spent 16 million (21 million if you include Nani's wages) pounds on someone, who we are not able to get a work permit for.

santeria13

Sublemon
    The Rojo deal again showcased Woodward's ineptness. It is crazy that he spent 16 million (21 million if you include Nani's wages) pounds on someone, who we are not able to get a work permit for.
    :lol: Yeah, it is ridiculous, but if we can sign another midfielder or two and before the deadline, I'd say he's done a good job this summer

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Cleverley, Welbeck and Hernandez will really have their minds on the job if we haven't shipped them out by Saturday!

Jacob

He will get his work permit, he's a national team player.

GRon

Cleverley, Welbeck and Hernandez will really have their minds on the job if we haven't shipped them out by Saturday!
    I am surprised that LvG played players just before getting rid of them. Nani against Swansea, Cleverly and Welbeck against Sunderland. Of course they will not perform, if they know the manager wants to get rid of them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    I am surprised that LvG played players just before getting rid of them. Nani against Swansea, Cleverly and Welbeck against Sunderland. Of course they will not perform, if they know the manager wants to get rid of them.
    Unless it is literally a last chance. But it smacks of slightly dodgy management to say I don't want you, but erm...can you play one last game!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    This isn't a worry at all.

Although someone posted a link to some criminal offence he apparently committed years ago, that'd have a year in jail as the punishment! Hopefully that's nothing!

Elliot

Rojo was in court in Argentina for assault in 2012, and since he is now on the big bucks apparently the prosecutor from his last court case smells a payday and is trying to bring the case back, hence the work permit taking so long.

C'est Moi Cantona

What I'd like to see:

-------------De Gea-------------
    Rafael---Evans--Smalling---Blackett--
    --------------Jones-----------------
    -----Fletcher--------Di Maria-------
    --------------Mata---------------
    ---Welbeck-------RVP/Rooney-

A 4-4-2 Diamond. Evans did have a very bad game vs MK Dons but it was his first game back from injury, and generally he has always looked more comfortable in a back 4. I think he has looked shaky in a back 3 in all our games, including pre-season. Jones as a defensive shield, with Fletcher and Di Maria ahead of him. I honestly can't see a better way to go with our midfield options for this weekend. Also I want to see Welbeck or Januzaj start next to either RVP or Rooney. Welbeck tends to make our other Striker look better whereas RVP and Rooney just cancel each other out in my opinion. They're too slow and static together.

What I think we will see:

--------------De Gea---------------
    -------Jones--Smalling--Blackett----
    Di Maria---------------------------Young--
    -----------Fletcher--Cleverley---------
    -----------------Mata----------------
    -----------RVP--------Rooney

and if I see this line up I honestly won't bother watching the game
    Di Maria won't play there, if we go with this system he'll either knock Mata out of the team, or more likely Cleverley, and Valencia, or hopefully Rafael will play RWB.
    Doubt we'll see Smalling either, at least I hope not.

santeria13

Sublemon
    Di Maria won't play there, if we go with this system he'll either knock Mata out of the team, or more likely Cleverley, and Valencia, or hopefully Rafael will play RWB.
    Doubt we'll see Smalling either, at least I hope not.
    I thought about him playing next to Fletcher but wouldn't that leave us horribly exposed at the back? Even with Herrera next to Fletcher we got caught on the break time and time again. Di Maria is excellent going forward and at pressing the opposition team in the midfield but his defensive contribution really isn't that great. I do agree that Mata should be dropped if we are to use Di Maria in this formation but I can't see LVG doing this and thats why I posted that it's the formation that I 'think' we will see, rather than the one I would like

Also if Smalling is fit, I'd prefer him over Evans who seems to be the CB least comfortable with playing in a back three, by quite a long shot too.

C'est Moi Cantona

I thought about him playing next to Fletcher but wouldn't that leave us horribly exposed at the back? Even with Herrera next to Fletcher we got caught on the break time and time again. Di Maria is excellent going forward and at pressing the opposition team in the midfield but his defensive contribution really isn't that great. I do agree that Mata should be dropped if we are to use Di Maria in this formation but I can't see LVG doing this and thats why I posted that it's the formation that I 'think' we will see, rather than the one I would like

Also if Smalling is fit, I'd prefer him over Evans who seems to be the CB least comfortable with playing in a back three, by quite a long shot too.
    Just don't rate Smalling, don't really rate Jonny Evans that much either tbh but i'd take him over Smalling any day.

Yes you're right Di Maria next to Fletcher would leave us exposed a little but we are playing Burnley, and if Cleverley is off to Villa then he won't play, Fellaini, Carrick, and Herrera are injured, so unless Jones steps forward who else is there?

Reckon it's nailed on for another 3-5-2.....sadly.

santeria13

Sublemon
    Just don't rate Smalling, don't really rate Jonny Evans that much either tbh but i'd take him over Smalling any day.

Yes you're right Di Maria next to Fletcher would leave us exposed a little but we are playing Burnley, and if Cleverley is off to Villa then he won't play, Fellaini, Carrick, and Herrera are injured, so unless Jones steps forward who else is there?

Reckon it's nailed on for another 3-5-2.....sadly.
    Indeed. I rate Evans over Smalling generally and specially in a back 4 but Evans seems to have had a lot of problems adjusting to the 3 at the back system, more-so than our other defenders except perhaps for Keane who definately needs another year or two to develop before being a viable first team option. Also after his MK Dons performance, He'll be horribly short on confidence. I guess Jones could play along side Di Maria in the 3-5-2 but then we have practically no options at the back unless we are to play Blackett, Keane and Evans and that back three would get destroyed by most teams in the league :lol:.

As you say though, it is only Burnley and with Fletcher and Di Maria we are certainly capable of outscoring them and we will look a lot more dangerous going forward. Probably what we will see tbh

GRon

Indeed. I rate Evans over Smalling generally and specially in a back 4 but Evans seems to have had a lot of problems adjusting to the 3 at the back system, more-so than our other defenders except perhaps for Keane who definately needs another year or two to develop before being a viable first team option. Also after his MK Dons performance, He'll be horribly short on confidence. I guess Jones could play along side Di Maria in the 3-5-2 but then we have practically no options at the back unless we are to play Blackett, Keane and Evans and that back three would get destroyed by most teams in the league :lol:.

As you say though, it is only Burnley and with Fletcher and Di Maria we are certainly capable of outscoring them and we will look a lot more dangerous going forward. Probably what we will see tbh
    I think this Rooney, RvP combination is not working. We need to replace one of them with either Welbeck or Janzaj to be a potent force going forward.

Wooly Red

Supports
    Liverpool
    Don't be too sure. Burnley used to be one of our bogey teams back in the day. Last time we went to Turf Moor we ended up losing 0-1. With the injuries we've got, I'll be happy with a point.
    If there isn't a win I think there's going to be one hell of a meltdown here. Not that I don't enjoy the occasional rant but it will be alarming in some way...

Moriarty

If there isn't a win I think there's going to be one hell of a meltdown here. Not that I don't enjoy the occasional rant but it will be alarming in some way...
    I'm going to stay away if we lose. The lunatics will really take over the asylum. By the way, have you heard murmurings on other sites that Van Gaal is past it on on the decline? I read something like that on another site and had to laugh. Lose to Burnley and we might read similar comments on here.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    4-0 Man Utd. Backlash time. Goalscorers, Mata, Rooney, De Maria and ... Smalling?

GRon

I'm going to stay away if we lose. The lunatics will really take over the asylum. By the way, have you heard murmurings on other sites that Van Gaal is past it on on the decline? I read something like that on another site and had to laugh. Lose to Burnley and we might read similar comments on here.
    I do not see too many people turning on van Gaal here. I'd think the sentiment would be Rooney is past it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 69% of 739 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions