Kick-off
Sat, 30 August 2014 @ 12:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 17 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RetroStu

I think we might just have to accept what Van Gaal said about things will get worse before they get better and it will take 3 months for the players to learn his philosophy (at least 3 months imo).
    It looks like we are not going to spend big on the top players we STILL need so we may just have to accept another year of building and then hopefully next season we will push on.

Ozio

The long balls forward is the most frustrating thing about how we played. Sam Allardyce would be proud.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    Some people here act like they are 90 years old scared that they might die next week so asking for anything just to see a win today even if that means negative impact for future progress.
    I swear it's got mostly nothing to do with a win but a better quality of football that's never coming.

Dylan94

You can see LVG still sticking with 3-5-2 even when we have everyone fit and available to accommodate RVP and Rooney

One of them should be dropped until we get our foundations sorted
    That's what I'm saying.
    People are saying that we should switch to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. But LVG said he is sticking with this system and unfortunately the only way it's going to get better is the players playing it in competitive games. When it works though it will really work. We just have to suffer this next few months unfortunately.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
    After 45 min we are not that aweful at front but defence is just silly. Evans look like he never played football at all. Fletcher loks like alien abduction he dont have clue where he is or where he plays. Few great balls from Di Maria other then thad my eyes hurt from football we play.
    We are so aweful that good thing is we can only play better in comming mathes. Hoping for better secon half.
    Our attack on paper is great but the two uptop are struggling and the back 5 struggled to get out of our half with the ball.

If we sort the latter out well win this.

kamarumk

We're regressing, this is a shambles.

LvG's 3 at the back will not work in the perm, the attacking players have no confidence with the defence and that is showing.

Moyes is a better manager.
    We didnt get to the byline enough!

Dazzmondo

Rooney must not be criticized , he is captain of both club and country so he must be world class after all , :rolleyes:
    It's the complete opposite. Everybody is criticising him no matter how he plays seemingly because he's been made captain and that makes him responsible for the team in their eyes. Rooney hasn't been anywhere near as bad as most of the players today or in the last 2 league games. He's not been given too many great through balls has he?

fergosaurus

We're regressing, this is a shambles.

LvG's 3 at the back will not work in the perm, the attacking players have no confidence with the defence and that is showing.

Moyes is a better manager.
    Yes, van Gaal's league titles and Champions league trophy are no match for Moysie's charity shield :wenger:

Esse

Problems this first half:

• Lack of movement in the central midfield, Fletcher isn't moving at all.
    • Lack of confidence in the whole team.
    • The hoof balls from center backs when they can play short passes to Di María or Mata.
    • Where is the will to challenge the opposition players? I remember Ronaldo stepping on to the turf on Old Trafford in 2003 and he just wanted to make an impression, whilst Young and Valencia seem to be afraid to lose the ball and pass it back safe instead.
    If we could just get some support for Blackett, Evans and Jones when in possession and if they have the courage to try to play it to our midfielders, I think we can take advantage of Burnleys high pressure and find some space behind their midfield.

Sid234

Playing Rooney-RvP just doesnt work, we need to drop one of them and play someone like Welbeck..

_DK

Clearly I'm a retard then, I think we're doing pretty well.

Took our chances and got the penalty we should have and we'd be 3 up.
    In particular aspect you are right, but remember that happened with Di Maria. Without him we cannot even pass the ball forward.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
    Considering Fletcher is playing in midfield pretty much on his own, I don't think he's been that bad. Certainly better than Anderson would be doing ffs.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
    Jones has been awful thus far for me. Stepping forward and continuing to dive in at all the wrong situations. Arguably the player that most lacks a brain at MUFC in my book.

Andre Kagawa

Is LVG even giving some kind of hair dryer treatment ya'll reckon? He looks so don't-give-a-feck on the bench

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    We just need a couple of goals to kick start our season and get the confidence flowing.
    No it's not our players clearly don't have a clue how to play this formation. Go 433 or 442 and see the instant improvement

Dylan94

We have to regress to move forward unfortunately and as soon as you accept that things will seem better. People are saying that we should switch to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. But LVG said he is sticking with this system and unfortunately the only way it's going to get better is the players playing it in competitive games. When it works though it will really work. We just have to suffer this next few months unfortunately.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
    Scout
    Some people here act like they are 90 years old scared that they might die next week so asking for anything just to see a win today even if that means negative impact for future progress.
    If we don't win today, i will have 14 sad days, half a month !!!

John Johnson

God I hate football commentators. They can't be this blind. Just say it - Fletcher is shit and should be nowhere near this team. No need to beat around the bush

tom porter

Where is the Manchester United I know and love? We are so slow on and off the ball, minus di maria, and have absolutely no confidence. It's the first time I've ever looked forward to the international break as hopefully it will help us get healthy and switch back to a more traditional formation.

Ananke

3-5-2 is fine, just not with these players available. Jones has been decent, he's the aggressive defender that closes players down quick. Blackett has been average but he's got some good passes in him now and then, good range. Evans, well...he's supposed to be the holding defender surely, with stability, the rock at the back. But he always has a shocking mistake in him at any moment, always on edge when he gets the ball.

Having said that Fletcher has been appalling and has made it hard for our defence, I never rated fletcher. He works hard...ok? I could go to any Sunday league and find a player who works hard. Before his illness this was his one redeeming quality. Now, well...he's just not good enough. But we haven't got other options right now unfortunately.

Di Maria has been the shining light in this team. He makes things tick, and I think within time Rooney/RVP/Mata/Di Maria will all be ticking on the same level. There's been a few link up plays that looked promising with them in, they're just not on the same wavelength as it stands.

Will be very happy to see Shaw, Rojo, Herrera and Blind enter this team.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 69% of 739 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions