g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FA Premier League

Burnley 0:0 Manchester United

Turf Moor

Kick-off
Sat, 30 August 2014 @ 12:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 17 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Patchbeard

Di Maria is class and apart from that Jones was the only one who showed anything. He should be captain.
    Yeah Di Maria was behind the few moments of exciting play today, but then played some poor balls too. No one has put in a great performance yet in any of the games which is a worry.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    I think you might be right, maybe after all he wouldn't have been such a bad idea.
    Rooney should have been out of the door. Moyes gave into him. He will never be the player he was and we are stuck with him and his wage packet. No wonder Danny has got disillusioned.

Esquire

We need to go 4-3-3 with Januzaj and Di Maria as wingers. Rooney or RVP need to be dropped, can't play together...neither of them are pacey so it doesn't work.
    LVG needs to have the balls and be man enough to admit 352 just doesn't work

Jord25

We were actually better under David Moyes, how is that even possible :lol:

David Moyes would of had a better start than this.

Shark

@NotShark
    There's something fundamentally wrong with this club. It's as if nothing will fill the gap that SAF's departure has left. We're shocking even with that attack and Di Maria's signing hasn't lifted anyone. I just don't know.

Esquire

Rooney should have been out of the door. Moyes gave into him. He will never be the player he was and we are stuck with him and his wage packet. No wonder Danny has got disillusioned.
    Agree. Not the biggest fan of Welbz but he deserves a crack at the expense of RVP or Rooney

Kakeru

The problem was moyes. He should have followed fergie and sent Rooney packing. Instead he gives him a pay rise and a contract extension, spoils team harmony. Had the chance to buy proper midfielders, but went with his Everton lackey. Painful.
    I agree with this. I think a number of problems could have been solved a hell lot quicker if Rooney was sold, especially the atmosphere in the dressing room.

Esquire

Alex Stepny on MUTV says De Gea had no options today when playing balls out. He said "no one in midfield wants it"... what a statement especially made on MUTV.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
    I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
    People do realize our probable starting wingbacks are injured? That our best and most creative CM is injured? RvP isn't fit, there are so many players who aren't playing, or who aren't playing to their ability. It's no time to panic, LvG said this in his last presser ffs. "Why is nobody writing that I have ten players injured." He obviously knows the injuries are hurting the squad, do you think he planned to be subbing on Anderson in his third game? He was surprised at how many players were injured for him, he said something like "Bayern Munich? 0. Barcelona? 0. Manchester United, 10. Why? That is the question."

Everyone just relax, allow everyone to get fit, give everyone some time to get used to and accumulated to the system. Hopefully we're not done in the transfer window. Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria, Rojo, Blind, Rafael, have all not yet played a full ninety minutes for us. There's a lot of time left and when LvG starts getting the players to play like the system dictates we'll make up the points.

He said we'll struggle in the first three months, and that's before he knew 10 players would be injured, including his best players at positions he needs them in.
    Good post, but it is hard to relax watching us play like we are.

degea_s_fringe

can nobody on the staff see how bad valencia is??really?
    he s just getting worse as each week goes by.
    anderson coming into cm says it all really.

GRon

So what do you guys think of Blind?

From what little I've seen of him, he'd probably be slightly better than Clev.

I know we don't have much in the way of other options at the moment, but Fletcher is so far off the pace in midfield. There were numerous times the CBs or the wing backs got the ball and he wasn't available for a pass, and he made no effort whatsoever to get into a position where he was. Once Herrera, Carrick and now Blind come into the lineup we will be a completely different team.

On the other hand, what a player Di Maria looks like he will be :drool:

sinicalypse

Supports
    Woolwich Wanderers
    People do realize our probable starting wingbacks are injured? That our best and most creative CM is injured? RvP isn't fit, there are so many players who aren't playing, or who aren't playing to their ability. It's no time to panic, LvG said this in his last presser ffs. "Why is nobody writing that I have ten players injured." He obviously knows the injuries are hurting the squad, do you think he planned to be subbing on Anderson in his third game? He was surprised at how many players were injured for him, he said something like "Bayern Munich? 0. Barcelona? 0. Manchester United, 10. Why? That is the question."

Everyone just relax, allow everyone to get fit, give everyone some time to get used to and accumulated to the system. Hopefully we're not done in the transfer window. Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria, Rojo, Blind, Rafael, have all not yet played a full ninety minutes for us. There's a lot of time left and when LvG starts getting the players to play like the system dictates we'll make up the points.

He said we'll struggle in the first three months, and that's before he knew 10 players would be injured, including his best players at positions he needs them in.
    this. united clearly looked the better team today (did you see those championship level CKs from burnley? jesus) and i think it's just a matter of time before they figure it out. rome wasn't built in a day but hey if you give the visigoths a weekend...

Godfather

Alex Stepny on MUTV says De Gea had no options today when playing balls out. He said "no one in midfield wants it"... what a statement especially made on MUTV.
    It's true. Fletcher went hiding every time we had the ball. Same as Mata. Disgraceful.

hbgreg

Good post, but it is hard to relax watching us play like we are.
    Well if it's hard for you to relax, imagine how hard it is for LvG and his staff. Louis isn't an amateur, he's been at all the top clubs and won. He's not a nobody, we should have full faith in him.

doomy20

I bet the Luis' interview will be like "the first half was not so good, the second half was better we managed to create chances. it takes time and the players need to learn the philosophy"

ash_86

Mata has to be sacrifised for the well of the team. He is not doing a good job

vibe

What're the betting odds on United getting relegated? I have £50 laying around that I'm not using.

I'd feel bad placing them, but the kids need to go to uni after all.

Esquire

Are you serious? This is exactly the sort of self-defeatist excuse that should be stamped the eff out right now. We are United. Even squad players on United should not have played the way we played today. Valencia and Young are full internationals but all they did today was pass the ball backwards. Evans looks completely lost. Mata was a space filler. Rooney tried hard but that's the best thing that could be said for him these days. RVP just looked disinterested. Yes you are right we have lots of people out but does that mean we get pushed around by fecking BURNLEY and looked to have no prospects of scoring even one goal? This is BURNLEY for pete's sake and we made them look very good. It's not time to panic but it is not the time to relax. It's the time to think whether the 352 works. That is not the same as panicking or deserting LVG. But as United fans we have footballing brains and can tell that today's performance was not an improvement at all. Changes are evidently needed. It is an entirely valid question to valid the system when we are not seeing what should be standard United fare - attacking mentality, penetration, commitment, risk taking. None of these traits were present today.

Micha

"Why is nobody writing that I have ten players injured."
    Because you can still field Mata, RvP, Rooney, because you still have lots of promise in Januzaj, Jones and Welbeck and because players like Young, Fletcher, Valencia might not be starting quality for United, but still should be able to put in a shift.
    Because after last season excuses are just not acceptable anymore.

I agree, though, that it is obviously way too early for panic and that our teamsheet will look a lot different when our main players are fit (or signed). But noone is interested in our injuries because the players finally have to accept some responsibility. It has come to the point where I think the teamtalk before the game goes like this:

"Listen up, guys, just go out there and wait for the final whistle. Noone can and noone will expect you to win any match until [insert random player name] is fit."
    Honestly, it is like we pay our players only for arriving on time for kick-off, not for actually playing.

blazinRe'D'

yea there you go another draw with a potentially bottom rank team, it just does not seem to be improving ,just seems like we have a lack of enthusiasm in our approach in anything while in defending or build up plays . This does not at all look like the united spirit we've cherished for so long ,our players atm seem not to be worried or not to go that extra mile for the win. I thought van gaal coming would change the whole atmosphere but as yet is making the same story as last season under moyes , jus hope that we show more intent and aggression from henceforth

KieranMUFC

Philosophy isn't working. Get di Maria wide and drop Rooney and switch it to 433. The last thing we need is his arrogance and pride over ruling his judgement. Plain to see 352 didn't work against the worst team in the league, why doesn't Jose play it? Or Pellegrini? Because you can't win the league with it. I fear for us I really do.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Damn you van Gaal and your 3-5-2
    Please tell me what lineup would you play withe players we had fit.
    Valencia and Young at fullback? Blackett at fullback, Valencia right back? We can only play the 3-5-2 because everyone is out. It sucks, but that's the way it has been since the season started.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Philosophy isn't working. Get di Maria wide and drop Rooney and switch it to 433. The last thing we need is his arrogance and pride over ruling his judgement. Plain to see 352 didn't work against the worst team in the league, why doesn't Jose play it? Or Pellegrini? Because you can't win the league with it. I fear for us I really do.
    3-5-2 isn't his philosophy, it's the system. Big difference, yet so many people seem to ignore it.

Esquire

yea there you go another draw with a potentially bottom rank team, it just does not seem to be improving ,just seems like we have a lack of enthusiasm in our approach in anything while in defending or build up plays . This does not at all look like the united spirit we've cherished for so long ,our players atm seem not to be worried or not to go that extra mile for the win. I thought van gaal coming would change the whole atmosphere but as yet is making the same story as last season under moyes , jus hope that we show more intent and aggression from henceforth
    It's just honestly very hard to see us struggle to get into threatening positions into the final third.

Esquire

3-5-2 isn't his philosophy, it's the system. Big difference, yet so many people seem to ignore it.
    Can someone please enlighten us as to why LVG is such an advocate for the 352 these days? Wasn't he a 433 man at Barca and Bayern? Know that he wanted to use 352 for the WC because he didn't have top CBs and lost Strootman for the anchor position. But surely (as evidenced by the transfer sums we paid out this window), we can buy the correct personnel for the 433 or 4231?

Soroush

Referee had nothing to do with us being shit.
    No, but he had every thing to do with us not getting 3 points. Let's not pretend that "winning whilst playing like shit" has never happened before in United history.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 69% of 739 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions