Bye bye top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Strange is a matter of opinion though, Louis van Gaal has a way of doing things and they made sense to that. He also claimed the press or even fans didn't understand this and so would criticised and he is right in that sense.

We would need to discuss individual scenarios and then look at possible reasons according to what we know from him for that. But even better would be if the fans had a chance to ask him questions, MUTV did a special or something at the end of the season, we could get his explanation and I think that would be great!

I disagree the game against Spurs saw a United we'd barely seen all season, the signs were clearly there, in that match it all came together with fluidity. Until Fellaini scored we were the same hesitant United but that calmed the nerves but in what we did the signs were most definitely there and improvements to see but it was fragmented. You use the right term, 'cohesion', the fragments came together but to the likes of Pexbo it was quite clear that was going to happen any game now, the signs were there but many chose to ignore them, the few on here were watching each match in anticipation knowing once the team are on the same wavelength it will look good.

I don't think we played like 'clueless amateurs', the players knew what they needed to do but they were having difficult executing mainly because what you do is dependant on your team mate when it comes to Louis van Gaal, the individual is not important, when your team mate is not on your wavelength then it doesn't look so good.

Alex Ferguson disagrees with you on performance, he said to Louis van Gaal after our first five match run 'No problem, you're winning', Louis van Gaal said even though Alex Ferguson is right and winning is more important than performance, the performance will increase your chances of winning therefore we must continue to get points on the board but solve the problems so we can also perform well.
Fergie probably had his fingers crossed when he said that. ;)
T
Really, some of our earlier performances were just dire. Static.

Cal?

CR7 fan
13 points from our first 10 games was really atrocious. Who knows where we would be now if we had a decent start.
Well, probably 1st but Chelsea with the game in hand and this Sunday's game being billed as the TITLE DECIDER.

Fully Fledged

There was a point around that period when i thought we aren't gonna make the top 4 if i'm being honest, we were poor and everyone around us seemed to be improving, we needed a big turnaround and honestly, i still can't believe we've managed to beat spurs, liverpool at anfield and city with ease.
The period from Christmas on wards had me worried. We only picked up 11 from a possible 21 only beating the current bottom 3 in a run of 7 games. I must admit the turn around has been amazing though.

carlosp

If we beat Chelsea this weekend, they have Arsenal to play away the following weekend and if they lose, they will be 2 points ahead of us and one point ahead of Arsenal, if we win both our games.

We would still have Arsenal to play of course but Chelsea have to still play Liverpool.

Exciting stuff ahead. :)

They still have a game in hand though I think.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
If we beat Chelsea this weekend, they have Arsenal to play away the following weekend and if they lose, they will be 2 points ahead of us and one point ahead of Arsenal, if we win both our games.

We would still have Arsenal to play of course but Chelsea have to still play Liverpool.

Exciting stuff ahead. :)
Chelsea still got 1 more game than us though. It won't be as close yet, but us and Arsenal beating them would surely pile the pressure on them.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We don't need to get a result at Chelsea to finish 2nd. We would need to beat Everton away and Arsenal home, which together I believe are more possible than winning at the bridge.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The period from Christmas on wards had me worried. We only picked up 11 from a possible 21 only beating the current bottom 3 in a run of 7 games. I must admit the turn around has been amazing though.
The thing is though, you can't look at a run of games like that in isolation. We had a 6 or 7 game winning streak before then so there was always going to be a little drop off to even things up if you will.

Gerald G

The thing is though, you can't look at a run of games like that in isolation. We had a 6 or 7 game winning streak before then so there was always going to be a little drop off to even things up if you will.
Let us hope we don't have a bad streak before the season ends then!

Jammydodger7

I'm not sure if I posted in this thread, but I only gave us a very small chance of making top 4.

I was dead right at the time too, there was nothing to suggest that we were going to go on this amazing run and Liverpool were running rampant.

Delighted to be proven wrong, Mourinho can keep the trophy glistenin' til next May.
I hate this shite, you weren't dead right. You gave us little hope of getting top 4, it now looks like we'll get it relatively easy. The people who criticized those who thought we wouldn't get top 4 were the ones who were dead right. We weren't playing well around the time this thread was made but we were still winning games and still in the top 4, that's what made it ridiculous. To think it would be tough to get top 4 around then would be ok and fair, in fact even thinking we'd struggle would be a fair enough opinion but to come out an point blankly say we will not get top 4 was just stupid.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I hate this shite, you weren't dead right. You gave us little hope of getting top 4, it now looks like we'll get it relatively easy. The people who criticized those who thought we wouldn't get top 4 were the ones who were dead right. We weren't playing well around the time this thread was made but we were still winning games and still in the top 4, that's what made it ridiculous. To think it would be tough to get top 4 around then would be ok and fair, in fact even thinking we'd struggle would be a fair enough opinion but to come out an point blankly say we will not get top 4 was just stupid.
Hardly anyone expected us to come into form like we have and there was very little to suggest we would. A lot of things fell into place for this to happen and a lot of it was luck. There was definitely a stage when top 4 looked very unlikely.

carlosp

You make your own luck.

We were unlucky with a lot of things. Injuries etc.

LvG didn't just stumble across this team as some would like you to believe, we had a great run end of last year from late September onwards and LvG has kept the team in the running.

This current version of the team has been transformed through all the other versions tried out. It just so happens that the current team works very well and that's why LvG has kept the same team these past few weeks.

Last edited:

Dion

Hardly anyone expected us to come into form like we have and there was very little to suggest we would.
Apart from all the people who did, who called bullshit on the very first page of this nonsense and who explained why.

Fully Fledged

Yeah but until then that short good run was the only form we had shown this season. We had 13 points from the first 10 games went on a short run of good form then had a run of 11 points from 7 games. I will admit to being concerned back then.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This whole idea that he's stumbled across it is preposterous.

Falcao has been fit for all this time yet has been benched.

Why hasn't he been insisting on playing two strikers or Falcao up front and Rooney in midfield?

RVP will get the same treatment when he comes back.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Said it all along the team was being improved in phases starting with the teams foundation. LVG concentrated on defense first, making us hard to beat, then it was ball retention, ensuring we dominated matches and finally that creativity and understanding in the final 3rd has come together.

Spark

Bollocks to luck. It's never bad luck when we play shite, it's poor management or players being rubbish. And rightly so.

The game against Spurs was not out the blue. It was an improvement from the Arsenal game. Since then it's been consistent. (Moyes' worst fault imo was his sheer inconsistency.)

That's expert management. That's motivation, knowing when to let Rooney/Antonio Banderas stir up the emotions with a team talk, knowing when to stick or twist with team selections, etc.

We've played fecking well because LvG has finally got things ticking. If anything, Rooney and co playing out of position now means they know exactly what is expected of those in the positions they were playing in before. He's done a Rogers and educated our players. Only better.

Now when we play shit we can at least point to a level we know this team is capable of. That's something we haven't been able to do for a while.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Bollocks to luck. It's never bad luck when we play shite, it's poor management or players being rubbish. And rightly so.

The game against Spurs was not out the blue. It was an improvement from the Arsenal game. Since then it's been consistent. (Moyes' worst fault imo was his sheer inconsistency.)

That's expert management. That's motivation, knowing when to let Rooney/Antonio Banderas stir up the emotions with a team talk, knowing when to stick or twist with team selections, etc.

We've played fecking well because LvG has finally got things ticking. If anything, Rooney and co playing out of position now means they know exactly what is expected of those in the positions they were playing in before. He's done a Rogers and educated our players. Only better.

Now when we play shit we can at least point to a level we know this team is capable of. That's something we haven't been able to do for a while.
We were extremely consistent in the second half of season under Moyes.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hardly anyone expected us to come into form like we have and there was very little to suggest we would. A lot of things fell into place for this to happen and a lot of it was luck. There was definitely a stage when top 4 looked very unlikely.
I expected us to come into form in the 2nd half of the season. In fact, I predicted that we would score more points than any team in the 2nd half of the season. Lets see if this comes true.
Why? I have absolute faith in LVGs methods, which have worked at every single club side he has managed.

If you check my posts in the match day threads you will see me shooting down the negative posts, which defied logic, eg: when people were worried about losing to Aston Villa or willing to accept a draw with LFC and Man City (who are in dire form). The only team I am weary of is Chelsea.

I have to assume that the Moyes Effect is still lingering and this negativity still pervades the minds of many supporters, who fear teams which are below us in the league table.

And with regards to luck...in sport you make your own luck.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I expected us to come into form in the 2nd half of the season. In fact, I predicted that we would score more points than any team in the 2nd half of the season. Lets see if this comes true.
Why? I have absolute faith in LVGs methods, which have worked at every single club side he has managed.

If you check my posts in the match day threads you will see me shooting down the negative posts, which defied logic, eg: when people were worried about losing to Aston Villa or willing to accept a draw with LFC and Man City (who are in dire form). The only team I am weary of is Chelsea.

I have to assume that the Moyes Effect is still lingering and this negativity still pervades the minds of many supporters, who fear teams which are below us in the league table.

I'm not saying LvG shouldn't be credited for our turnaround. He's a master tactician, Neville's analysis on MNF shows that and that probably only scratches the surface but to say we haven't been lucky is just a joke. Evans getting suspended, Di Maria getting suspended, Shaw getting injured and RvP getting injured were all extremely important in our transformation. That's luck.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This whole idea that he's stumbled across it is preposterous.

Falcao has been fit for all this time yet has been benched.

Why hasn't he been insisting on playing two strikers or Falcao up front and Rooney in midfield?

RVP will get the same treatment when he comes back.
I don't really agree.

He was stubbornly insisting on playing all of Falcao, VP and Rooney in the same lineup, Mata and Herrera were a bit marginalised, and Di Maria was playing in centre mid, seemingly to everyone saying that was the right place.

Then VP got injured, and Falcao was so off the pace even a stubborn stubborn man could see it.

Cue Rooney up front, meaning room for another midfielder. Di Maria getting sent off let Mata in the team,and since then the combo has been marvellous!

You cannot say it was pure judgement, or we'd have tried this a lot earlier!

ChaddyP

I don't really agree.

He was stubbornly insisting on playing all of Falcao, VP and Rooney in the same lineup, Mata and Herrera were a bit marginalised, and Di Maria was playing in centre mid, seemingly to everyone saying that was the right place.

Then VP got injured, and Falcao was so off the pace even a stubborn stubborn man could see it.

Cue Rooney up front, meaning room for another midfielder. Di Maria getting sent off let Mata in the team,and since then the combo has been marvellous!

You cannot say it was pure judgement, or we'd have tried this a lot earlier!
1) he rates Wilson and could have easily put him back in as striker
2)Januzaj could have easily taken di Marias place after red card
3) he was not satisfied with Herrera in midfield as yet
4) Mata playing a number 8 or 10 gets rid of his defensive balance which is why Rooney and fellaini were preferred

Yes somethings have been a bit fortunate, but this is lvg we are talking about, not bloody David Moyes. Van gaal has reasons he does certain things that many of us won't understand. I do question somethings he does. But surely he hasn't just stumbled upon a system that he is already vastly knowledgeable about.

SalfordRed1960

Do not understand why you believe there was luck in things falling in place. As they say, the more I practice the luckier I get. We have had injuries all season, and when LVG asked the fringe players to come in and do what they have trained to do for the last 6 months, they did it. It still took time, but what they practiced came off on the park. It has now built a confidence, similar to Liverpool last year, where maybe we are slightly playing above ourselves, that is what confidence does to a team.

Most of the pessimists on here were judging their opinion on the style of play, the fluidity of play, and the lack of creativity. They also, wanted some players to be on the park, without recognizing that LVG probably had good reason for not playing them. These same people always saw the grass greener elsewhere, oh shit Liverpool have just scraped their 3 win on the trot, thus they are a form side and we should shit ourselves. The reality is that though Chelsea have gained the most points, at no time has any one team really shown a high level of consistency and fluidity. United have slowly grown each month and have only really struggled in terms of creativity against teams that have parked the bus, the same teams that the other top 6 clubs have struggled against.

C'est Moi Cantona

Yes I suffer from this! Before Moyes if we were behind in the league I could only look up to see who we had to catch up, now I look down and fear the pack closing in again, it appears I am suffering from the after effects of the Moyes era.

The only cure to this for me is us kicking on and confirming what appears to be happening., until then I'll keep taking my medication (whisky).

Woodenlung

Tonight's loss makes things a bit tighter. Southampton loss was good but we still have some tricky fixtures left. I think we'll make Top 4 but it's not a certainty like maybe some would've thought.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Tonight's loss makes things a bit tighter. Southampton loss was good but we still have some tricky fixtures left. I think we'll make Top 4 but it's not a certainty like maybe some would've thought.
Everyone was expecting us to lose this game. Nothing surprising. Arsenal are also going to lose at the Bridge. We'll make top four quite easily.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We will need 5 points from Palace, Everton and Arsenal games probably. We will do it if we continue the way we are playing very easily.

Ixion

I don't think losing makes much of a difference, it was always our toughest remaining fixture and the injuries were costly. Beat West Brom and Hull and Southampton and Spurs would need to win all their remaining games. Liverpool still need to go to Chelsea aswell and need to win the rest.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
On average, we're about 1/30 to finish in the top four. It's nailed on, this thread is completely redundant tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.