Bye bye top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Agreed. We were painful to watch for ages and so spawny with the Southampton and Newcastle away wins. The turnaround has been awesome but you can't knock people for early doubts.
Am sure we had some calling for LVG's head.
Yes, Feed Me made a thread wanting van Gaal to be sacked.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/van-gaal-out.401652/

Table at the time:

Our results since:

Getsme

The question should now be, who do you want to get into the top 4, Liverpool or City. For me I'd rather see Liverpool fail.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Southampton have a decent run in. Would love them getting it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

hp88

Would take a massive feck up for us to miss out now. Wouldn't mind Scousers getting top four now, City needs this a lot more than them.

Empire

There's no need for anyone to gloat - you can only give an opinion on how it is, not how it might be. We were pretty rubbish earlier in the season. It wasn't easy to have faith with poor performances from the players, and strange choices from LVG.
My argument was that looking at the manager's past, things will click into place therefore we should reserve judgement until the season is out providing we are still in the race for top four.

I thought that was a reasonable position to take, some on here accused me of blind faith but it wasn't blind because this was my expectation based on Louis van Gaal's past.

Another expectation I have is a slow start to next season, around November we should hit a stride and maintain it until the end (with the odd game here and there lost or drawn). It's important we don't lose too many points even if things are rusty at the start of the season, to ensure we get the points despite some poor performances we need to make sure we have a quality attacking four.

The strange choices are also part of Louis van Gaal, that will not change. He sees things differently and likes to experiment, sometimes they can work and also fail, it's just the way he does things.

I also think the lack of European football was a hindrance. We had a big enough squad to cope with Europa and also those extra games are matches in which the players get experience applying the philosophy. The manager maintained they understood it in November but said they are yet to execute it consistently.

If we were in the champions league we might have got knocked out of our group, in the Europa perhaps scraped through but also possibly knocked out of our group but those extra six matches would have helped.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
To be fair in January/February we did look absolutely dire against even the shittest teams like Preston and Cambridge.

It took time but we have now finally found our best system and our best team. Nobody would have guessed it would include Young and Fellaini.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Not sure even the most diehard LVG fans anticipated the scale of the turnaround, not least performance and watchability-wise.
Niall was a believer though, given how quickly he locked that thread!
The thing is, that's not why people disagreed with this thread (because they were expecting 6 straight wins to put us one point behind second place). It was because it was too early to make such a thread, and we were still at fourth place. It's not like we were 7th when the thread was made and we somehow miraculously managed to pull ourselves back into the top 4 now.

carlosp

The question should now be, who do you want to get into the top 4, Liverpool or City. For me I'd rather see Liverpool fail.
I would rather have Liverpool get 4th. They will amount to nothing next season while City will have EL to contend with, their supporters being smug about them in the CL thus season while we weren't. Not having them in the CL next season will be awesome, and hopefully affect them a bit financially, never mind them maybe losing one or two good players like Aguero and Silva.

Liverpool will still be tosh no matter what happens.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

I would rather have Liverpool get 4th. They will amount to nothing next season while City will have EL to contend with, their supporters being smug about them in the CL thus season while we weren't. Not having them in the CL next season will be awesome, and hopefully affect them a bit financially, never mind them maybe losing one or two good players like Aguero and Silva.

Liverpool will still be tosh.
Yup, fully agree with that. Come on you scousers!

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
We had so much bad luck early on in the season, every mistake cost us a goal, couple that with the injury crisis and it was little wonder we were shite. LVG has been absolutely instrumental this season and id like to see a manager do better given the fact so much had to be done with so many variables being thrown up one after the other. Never doubted the fella

Crashoutcassius

Goes to so ho bad people are at predicting things and how likely they are

People said Chelsea couldn't be caught, and they're got lucky today and are trundling along, but a loss today and an injury or two is all it woul take for the race to be back on

Water Melon

Full credit to LvG for the fantastic run in. Think we will be favourites to win the league next season. Not nervous going into derbies. Happy, happy times.

Getsme

Liverpool will still be tosh no matter what happens.
I appreciate the logic but I could never bring myself to wish Liverpool any sort of result ( unless it's exulted in a direct advantage to us)

Fully Fledged

Sunderland (h) - Win
Newcastle (a) - Win
Spurs (h) - Win
Liverpool (a) - Win
Villa (h) - Win
City (h) - Win
Chelsea (a) - Loss
Everton (a) - Draw

19 points out of the possible 24, and looking very good for the top 4.
Here's someone who's been right so far. Not sure about his next 2 though. I hope he's wrong.

carlosp

How is it?
My logic is this. At the beginning of the season someone posted something along the lines of if we do get into the CL in 4th or higher, we will be seeded behind City due to them being in the CL this season.

So my way of thinking is if they don't make the CL, then that problem is solved. Having Liverpool in the CL in 4th means that they will play more games, again better advantage for us since we will play less.

City would also have to play more games in the EL and on Thursday's, more than we would have to play in the CL.

So definite win/win in my books.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The thing is, that's not why people disagreed with this thread (because they were expecting 6 straight wins to put us one point behind second place). It was because it was too early to make such a thread, and we were still at fourth place. It's not like we were 7th when the thread was made and we somehow miraculously managed to pull ourselves back into the top 4 now.
Fair point, but can understand knee-jerk reactions, if not agree with them, after the likes of Cambridge and PNE. Anyway, onward and upward hopefully. I'm loving watching us right now:)

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
My argument was that looking at the manager's past, things will click into place therefore we should reserve judgement until the season is out providing we are still in the race for top four.

I thought that was a reasonable position to take, some on here accused me of blind faith but it wasn't blind because this was my expectation based on Louis van Gaal's past.

Another expectation I have is a slow start to next season, around November we should hit a stride and maintain it until the end (with the odd game here and there lost or drawn). It's important we don't lose too many points even if things are rusty at the start of the season, to ensure we get the points despite some poor performances we need to make sure we have a quality attacking four.

The strange choices are also part of Louis van Gaal, that will not change. He sees things differently and likes to experiment, sometimes they can work and also fail, it's just the way he does things.

I also think the lack of European football was a hindrance. We had a big enough squad to cope with Europa and also those extra games are matches in which the players get experience applying the philosophy. The manager maintained they understood it in November but said they are yet to execute it consistently.

If we were in the champions league we might have got knocked out of our group, in the Europa perhaps scraped through but also possibly knocked out of our group but those extra six matches would have helped.
I'd have had faith if we were delivering good performances, but we weren't. There seemed to be no structure, no plan, no consistency, constant team changes. It was too much like last year, although I never had the sheer despondency of last year. This year I just had extreme frustration.

Now though, we seem to finally have a team, and decent players are not being relegated to the bench for no good reason.

Getsme

My logic is this. At the beginning of the season someone posted something along the lines of if we do get into the CL in 4th or higher, we will be seeded behind City due to them being in the CL this season.

So my way of thinking is if they don't make the CL, then that problem is solved. Having Liverpool in the CL in 4th means that they will play more games, again better advantage for us since we will play less.

City would also have to play more games in the EL and on Thursday's, more than we would have to play in the CL.

So definite win/win in my books.
Fair enough, still not enough for me to hope that they finish in the top 4, the dream is for Southampton :lol:

Woodenlung

Funny thing is, United's last 6 games still aren't easy by any means. Still have Chelsea, Everton and Palace (yes Palace) away. Then there's Arsenal at home too. They could still make a mess of this and blow top 4, but with the way they're playing now it would take some imposing to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.