Bye bye top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Funny thing is, United's last 6 games still aren't easy by any means. Still have Chelsea, Everton and Palace (yes Palace) away. Then there's Arsenal at home too. They could still make a mess of this and blow top 4, but with the way they're playing now it would take some imposing to do that.
I think we'd have to lose 4 games in order to not get top 4. We'd need to drop at least 9 points, and that's assuming Liverpool win all of their remaining games, which they won't. We can afford to drop 11 out of 18 points and still finish fourth. Top four is done and dusted, because we won't lose that many points, and Liverpool/Southampton are both going to drop points as well.

Fully Fledged

I think we'd have to lose 4 games in order to not get top 4. We'd need to drop at least 9 points, and that's assuming Liverpool win all of their remaining games, which they won't. We can afford to drop 11 out of 18 points and still finish fourth. Top four is done and dusted, because we won't lose that many points, and Liverpool/Southampton are both going to drop points as well.
Yeah it would need a complete collapse for us to throw top 4 away now. It can happen you only have to look at City but it is not expected.

Ixion

Beating just West Brom and Hull alone will take us to 71 points and I imagine that will ultimately be enough for top four. Most Liverpool can get is 75 and they have to play Chelsea away so realisticly 72 if they win all the others (Southampton can only get to 74 and Spurs 72 and both of those two have to play City so that can only benefit us no matter who gets the points).

There will be Champions League football here next season.

Last edited:

Winrar

Not really - it started after 10 games in - 52 points from last 22 games
I think we were worse than last season after first 10 games this season, and then started to even out until March where we really started to come into form.

And of course, Moyes had a nightmare during the same period. You can't even use the Liverpool and City back to back games as excuse because LVG dominated the same fixtures. (and away to Liverpool at that)

Empire

I'd have had faith if we were delivering good performances, but we weren't. There seemed to be no structure, no plan, no consistency, constant team changes. It was too much like last year, although I never had the sheer despondency of last year. This year I just had extreme frustration.

Now though, we seem to finally have a team, and decent players are not being relegated to the bench for no good reason.
Well the constant team changes were necessary due to both injuries and also players not quite doing as the manager asked. He did say though the performances will come with automaticity and to get that we need consistency in selection, he also said numerous times he didn't want to rotate. I said fair enough, why not let him wait until he can choose a consistent selection and then give them a few games to gel? At that point people were calling for the sack!

Also evidently there was a structure and plan, Louis van Gaal said it will be a process, the problems were there to see but so were the problems disappearing.

I'm not sure what is wrong with giving the manager time (the season for as long as he is challenging for top four) and also accepting his reasons in the press conference. You say 'for no good reason' but then you are in disagreement with Louis van Gaal's reasons, surely his wins against Spurs, City and Liverpool should be enough to convince you he knew what he was doing all along and he probably had his reasons, let's face it he is the expert on his system and not us, unless you are of the opinion the manager has got lucky?

Ander Herrera recently said in an interview Louis van Gaal didn't like that he would always move to the ball, he thinks if you wait where you are the team have the quality to find you and spaces will open, he said he trained to be more patient and wait for the ball.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Needless to say I feel like an utter bellend for posting that Van Gaal out thread earlier in the season; no qualms with admitting that.

The turnaround has been astonishing really. I had no confidence in our ability to get results in these fixtures given how poorly we were playing. Our performance levels in the last four games has been a world apart from what we'd produced prior to this fantastic spell.

Don't want to piss in the punch, because we're clearly in a fantastic place at the moment, but we've missed out on really challenging thanks to some odd decision making earlier in the season. Credit to Van Gaal for the recent results, but we shouldn't airbrush history - we were absolutely dire for a large chunk of the season.

Undeniable that we're an extremely entertaining and effective side now though.

Ixion

but we've missed out on really challenging thanks to some odd decision making earlier in the season. Credit to Van Gaal for the recent results, but we shouldn't airbrush history - we were absolutely dire for a large chunk of the season.
We need to be fair to Van Gaal that the player's confidence at the start off the season was very low after last year and the injuries we had up until Christmas were ridiculous. I don't think Van Gaal had a full squad of players to even find out his best XI for over half of the season, then it takes time to get that side to gel.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We need to be fair to Van Gaal that the player's confidence at the start off the season was very low after last year and the injuries we had up until Christmas were ridiculous. I don't think Van Gaal had a full squad of players to even find out his best XI for over half of the season, then it takes time to get that side to gel.
I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I think Van Gaal made some poor decisions in the early-mid part of the season, allied to injuries and low confidence amongst the players, while he's made some very creditable choices since then, for which he deserves credit.

Gerald G

13 points from our first 10 games was really atrocious. Who knows where we would be now if we had a decent start.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Exactly, agree totally, no magic wand that was going to erase last season in a moment

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bad starts aren't that uncommon for a new manager in a new league. Van Gaal clearly made some mistakes early on, his biggest was underestimating the Premier League and its smaller teams and thinking 3-5-2 could work. He signed some players based on that formation and then when he found out it wasn't going to work he backtracked.

Moonred

We still have few tricky games to come, I hope we smash each one of them. If anything, the stark contrast is now i am looking forward to anything, unlike last year.

Ixion

I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I think Van Gaal made some poor decisions in the early-mid part of the season, allied to injuries and low confidence amongst the players, while he's made some very creditable choices since then, for which he deserves credit.
I will say in retrospect he stuck with the Rooney in midfield experiment for too long and I said repeatedly since Christmas I didn't know why Mata was out of the side. So yeah I would question him on those decisions, overall a very good season though.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The best thing we did was to get RVP and Falcao out the team. Two strikers who were amazing in 2012/13 but are not good enough now.

Well, I think RVP is still fairly class. But should not be a starter.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I will say in retrospect he stuck with the Rooney in midfield experiment for too long and I said repeatedly since Christmas I didn't know why Mata was out of the side. So yeah I would question him on those decisions, overall a very good season though.
Yeah, no one can dispute that it's turned into a good season: top four and a real pattern of play has emerged.

Someone

Something
There was a point around that period when i thought we aren't gonna make the top 4 if i'm being honest, we were poor and everyone around us seemed to be improving, we needed a big turnaround and honestly, i still can't believe we've managed to beat spurs, liverpool at anfield and city with ease.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What is crazy is that if by some ridiculous miracle we could win the league this season, the chances are we would have done it by being top of the table for only a matter of minutes this season, assuming of course we would need to win it on the final day.

How sweet would that be?

LARulz

If only we never fecked up vs Leicester and Swansea twice (among other shit)

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Well the constant team changes were necessary due to both injuries and also players not quite doing as the manager asked. He did say though the performances will come with automaticity and to get that we need consistency in selection, he also said numerous times he didn't want to rotate. I said fair enough, why not let him wait until he can choose a consistent selection and then give them a few games to gel? At that point people were calling for the sack!

Also evidently there was a structure and plan, Louis van Gaal said it will be a process, the problems were there to see but so were the problems disappearing.

I'm not sure what is wrong with giving the manager time (the season for as long as he is challenging for top four) and also accepting his reasons in the press conference. You say 'for no good reason' but then you are in disagreement with Louis van Gaal's reasons, surely his wins against Spurs, City and Liverpool should be enough to convince you he knew what he was doing all along and he probably had his reasons, let's face it he is the expert on his system and not us, unless you are of the opinion the manager has got lucky?

Ander Herrera recently said in an interview Louis van Gaal didn't like that he would always move to the ball, he thinks if you wait where you are the team have the quality to find you and spaces will open, he said he trained to be more patient and wait for the ball.
I know we had injury problems but there was a lot of strange choices - you only had to listen to phone-ins and read press reports. Plus watch the games. There was hell of a lot of dissatisfaction with the way the team were playing.

There's nothing wrong with giving the manager time - I never at any point suggested otherwise. The game against Spurs saw a United we'd barely seen all season and it's continued from there. Before that, there were many games when we just looked like a disjointed mess with no cohesion whatsoever. Constant team changes - aside from injuries - meant no continuity and it showed.

Losing has never bothered me, but playing like clueless amateurs did. I've always been a great advocate of a good performance being more important than points. United put in quite a few embarrassing performances this season, with players who might not have been first on the team sheet, but who should have been good enough to beat teams like Milton Keynes, Preston etc.

Empire

I know we had injury problems but there was a lot of strange choices - you only had to listen to phone-ins and read press reports. Plus watch the games. There was hell of a lot of dissatisfaction with the way the team were playing.

There's nothing wrong with giving the manager time - I never at any point suggested otherwise. The game against Spurs saw a United we'd barely seen all season and it's continued from there. Before that, there were many games when we just looked like a disjointed mess with no cohesion whatsoever. Constant team changes - aside from injuries - meant no continuity and it showed.

Losing has never bothered me, but playing like clueless amateurs did. I've always been a great advocate of a good performance being more important than points. United put in quite a few embarrassing performances this season, with players who might not have been first on the team sheet, but who should have been good enough to beat teams like Milton Keynes, Preston etc.
Strange is a matter of opinion though, Louis van Gaal has a way of doing things and they made sense to that. He also claimed the press or even fans didn't understand this and so would criticised and he is right in that sense.

We would need to discuss individual scenarios and then look at possible reasons according to what we know from him for that. But even better would be if the fans had a chance to ask him questions, MUTV did a special or something at the end of the season, we could get his explanation and I think that would be great!

I disagree the game against Spurs saw a United we'd barely seen all season, the signs were clearly there, in that match it all came together with fluidity. Until Fellaini scored we were the same hesitant United but that calmed the nerves but in what we did the signs were most definitely there and improvements to see but it was fragmented. You use the right term, 'cohesion', the fragments came together but to the likes of Pexbo it was quite clear that was going to happen any game now, the signs were there but many chose to ignore them, the few on here were watching each match in anticipation knowing once the team are on the same wavelength it will look good.

I don't think we played like 'clueless amateurs', the players knew what they needed to do but they were having difficult executing mainly because what you do is dependant on your team mate when it comes to Louis van Gaal, the individual is not important, when your team mate is not on your wavelength then it doesn't look so good.

Alex Ferguson disagrees with you on performance, he said to Louis van Gaal after our first five match run 'No problem, you're winning', Louis van Gaal said even though Alex Ferguson is right and winning is more important than performance, the performance will increase your chances of winning therefore we must continue to get points on the board but solve the problems so we can also perform well.

Rob Bowman

Yeah, honestly we are not playing well right now. I think simply playing players in more natural positions would help greatly. i would alos like to see way more of Mata as breaking down compact teams is right up his alley.

This all said I think it will be competitive. by no means is it over and conversely by no means is it a sure thing. But we need to play better if we want to try and ensure this happens and frankly i think most of our ills are odd tactics and players out of position.
Page 5, my only post this thread... :smirk:.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm not sure if I posted in this thread, but I only gave us a very small chance of making top 4.

I was dead right at the time too, there was nothing to suggest that we were going to go on this amazing run and Liverpool were running rampant.

Delighted to be proven wrong, Mourinho can keep the trophy glistenin' til next May.

SiRed

I am very upbeat as we all are at the moment but we haven't secured 4th YET and we still have games where points could easily be dropped.
I predicted (after Swansea away) before our amazing recent run that we would need 72 points to finish 4th and i feel this still stands accurate. At the time i didnt think we would do it however we need only 7 points from the remaining games to do it.

Chelsea A
Everton A
West Brom H
Crystal Palace A
Arsenal H
Hull City A

Any points we get at Stamford Bridge will be a bonus.

Everton is always a tricky place but is a very winable game.

West Brom should be in the bag.

People saying Palace away will be tricky but i think they play very open and we may just have a field day down their if we score first.

Arsenal at home is a game i always ALWAYS fancy us to win.

And Hull will hopefully be either confirmed relegated or safe by the final day. Much like Palace i feel they will play to open and we will have to much for them.

So although i am still nervous i am also confident that finishing atleast 4th should be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.