Cüneyt Çakır

redevil2

And therein lies the issue, he's a part-time ref from the Turkish league, he's never going to match the standard of referee we expect to see in games like these. Hell, we don't think much of many of our full-time, professional refs that we have in the premier league!
UEFA has a duty to engage a full professional to officiate a game of that magnitude and importance. So it's worthy of looking at how and why this cnut was assigned.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The Turkish press are reporting (and the Spanish and Italian press are repeating) that Collina for the UEFA refereeing panel gave the ref 8.2 - an outstanding rating - for the match. Allegedly the only criticism is for failure to red card Ferdinand for dissent.

So, anybody waiting for an apology from the ref or UEFA for picking him: don't hold your breath.

http://www.marca.com/2013/03/07/en/football/international_football/1362687647.html

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
The Turkish press are reporting (and the Spanish and Italian press are repeating) that Collina for the UEFA refereeing panel gave the ref 8.2 - an outstanding rating - for the match. Allegedly the only criticism is for failure to red card Ferdinand for dissent.

So, anybody waiting for an apology from the ref or UEFA for picking him: don't hold your breath.

http://www.marca.com/2013/03/07/en/football/international_football/1362687647.html
feck him. He was an overrated ref anyways. He was only famous cause of his spastic eyes and his likeness to Duncan Goodhew.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

closing ranks shocker...

EDIT:

At best he made an awful decision.
At worst he is corrupt.

Cevno

Why would it be leaked to a Turkish paper of all places ?

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

Laudrup knows what he's talking about.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted

That's complete bollocks, as it would be seeing as it is effectively self-regulation. Absolute fecking nonsense.

If we are being picky, he missed a handball, penalty and red card for Rafael, a penalty on Evra and the red was wrong of course as there was no way Nani used "excessive force". They've got low standards if they count that as outstanding.

TheRisingSun

Banned
you mean apart from rolling around in agony holding his chest when he got touched in the arm? he played for the red
I don't know how important this is to the ultimate decision, but I've seen a picture of Arbeloa with his shirt up after the collision and he has a gash/studmarks on his ribcage - it definitely connected on his ribs.

I think people digging Arbeloa out for his part in it are being a bit harsh - for a change in modern football, that actually would have been painful.

I'll see if I can find the picture.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Well, that's expected, he did what they asked from him after all. :p

SER19

I don't know how important this is to the ultimate decision, but I've seen a picture of Arbeloa with his shirt up after the collision and he has a gash/studmarks on his ribcage - it definitely connected on his ribs.

I think people digging Arbeloa out for his part in it are being a bit harsh - for a change in modern football, that actually would have been painful.

wow, well i do take it back if so, (arbeloa criticism that is, not the decision) cos i watched and watched and didnt see him contact the ribs/chest/...stomach a tiny bit maybe...still never a red but ill shift my criticism to ramos instead, big mouth wanker.

NinjaFletch

Is 'dissent' your words or the Turkish medias, because if it is their words they are making it up mostly because dissent is a bookable offence?

For Ferdinand to have been sent off the relevant laws are:

'uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures'

Collina wouldn't have made that mistake on his report.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Is 'dissent' your words or the Turkish medias, because if it is their words they are making it up mostly because dissent is a bookable offence?

For Ferdinand to have been sent off the relevant laws are:

'uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures'

Collina wouldn't have made that mistake on his report.
Just a transcription error.

I've not seen the Turkish version. But in any case that would have been a reporter's translation and it's been retranslated several times since then.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

He is working for the UEFA. Of course he is going to come out and say that the ref's decisions were right. When UEFA supported the ref, it is only natural for the refs chief to come out and support him as well.

Timdbro

I'm still incredibly pissed off about the red, haven't been this affected by a match in a while. But I also can't help but be surprised by just how many journalists and opposition fans can come out and say the decision was anything close to being the right one. It worries me sometimes just how many ABUs there are around; I know I know, a sign of our success, but it borders on dangerously obsessive. Luckily, all those with any actual knowledge of the game (apart from the well documented case of Roy Keane) have maintained sanity and pointed out what an absurd decision it was.

Cevno

I'm still incredibly pissed off about the red, haven't been this affected by a match in a while. But I also can't help but be surprised by just how many journalists and opposition fans can come out and say the decision was anything close to being the right one. It worries me sometimes just how many ABUs there are around; I know I know, a sign of our success, but it borders on dangerously obsessive. Luckily, all those with any actual knowledge of the game (apart from the well documented case of Roy Keane) have maintained sanity and pointed out what an absurd decision it was.
Exactly, the same for me.

reddevilcanada

He's one of those attention whore scum shitheads who wanted to become the center of attention by making a baffling decision. I hope he never gets to referee another game.

I'm always right

Couldn't agree more, have never been so bothered by the reaction of some people after a decision like that. Now I swear to you I'd have been calling it a shite decision had the player been Suarez, it was quite simply an awful baffling decision.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It was just a really shit decision. Nothing in the rest of the game suggested bias. The problem seems to be that the rules are being interpreted incorrectly. If you want a rule where raised studs = red no matter what then write such a rule. As it is this couldn't be a red by the rules of the game.

TheReligion

Abusive
The ref did what UEFA wanted, help knock United out of the cup. The chap who officiated in the first leg was shite too, again favouring Madrid.

It was clear from the outset who they wanted through. No wonder he got a good rating.

Reading the article surely Collina isn't that much of a thicko he thinks descent is treated with a straight red?

TheReligion

Abusive

Why are you even arsed?

The picture won't change the opinion of almost everyone who is involved in football now, or been involved previously, that it was a truly dreadful decision and more importantly the wrong one.

There really is nothing more to it.

TheReligion

Abusive
I can't believe any of the conspiracy theories; I prefer to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume he is just terrible at his job and startlingly out of his depth.
Is it just a coincidence that we got two very poor referees over the two legs?

Hmmm.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Controversial Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir has stood by his decision to send Manchester United winger Nani off in Tuesday's Champions League defeat to Real Madrid.

The Portuguese winger was given his marching orders after a coming together with Alvaro Arbeloa in the 56th minute of the second leg clash at Old Trafford, a decision widely condemned by a string of former professionals.

UEFA have backed their man, insisting he has nothing to answer for, an opinion echoed by him when speaking to the Spanish media today.

Cakir told newspaper AS: 'I feel good and I do not doubt my decisions. Nani's red was correct. The world will realise the truth over time.'

The official also brandished other high-profile red cards in matches involving English teams, dismissing John Terry in Chelsea's Champions League semi-final second leg against Barcelona last season, Mario Balotelli in a Europa League game against Dynamo Kiev and, earlier this season, Steven Gerrard during England's World Cup draw with Ukraine and Gary Cahill in the Club World Cup defeat to Corinthians.

'In the previous games with the English teams there was no unfair decision,' said Cakir.

'What decision was incorrect? The red to Terry or Balotelli? I don't think I made a mistake in showing those cards and sending them off.'

Regarding being at the centre of controversy this week, Cakir said: 'It hasn't made me feel sad. I don't think about it.

'I've received more criticism on other occasions, but I've always got up and recovered. I can do it again.'

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was visibly incensed by the official's call to red-card Nani - which proved to be a turning point in the tie.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-card-correct-says-referee-Cuneyt-Cakir.html

cnut.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Controversial Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir has stood by his decision to send Manchester United winger Nani off in Tuesday's Champions League defeat to Real Madrid.

The Portuguese winger was given his marching orders after a coming together with Alvaro Arbeloa in the 56th minute of the second leg clash at Old Trafford, a decision widely condemned by a string of former professionals.

UEFA have backed their man, insisting he has nothing to answer for, an opinion echoed by him when speaking to the Spanish media today.

Cakir told newspaper AS: 'I feel good and I do not doubt my decisions. Nani's red was correct. The world will realise the truth over time.'

The official also brandished other high-profile red cards in matches involving English teams, dismissing John Terry in Chelsea's Champions League semi-final second leg against Barcelona last season, Mario Balotelli in a Europa League game against Dynamo Kiev and, earlier this season, Steven Gerrard during England's World Cup draw with Ukraine and Gary Cahill in the Club World Cup defeat to Corinthians.

'In the previous games with the English teams there was no unfair decision,' said Cakir.

'What decision was incorrect? The red to Terry or Balotelli? I don't think I made a mistake in showing those cards and sending them off.'

Regarding being at the centre of controversy this week, Cakir said: 'It hasn't made me feel sad. I don't think about it.

'I've received more criticism on other occasions, but I've always got up and recovered. I can do it again.'

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was visibly incensed by the official's call to red-card Nani - which proved to be a turning point in the tie.

Yeah sure, the world is wrong and you were right. Imbecile.

Liam147

On Probation
I just wish he'd come out an explain why it was a red. If he came out and said that Nani kicked out at Arbeloa after hitting him, then fair enough. Whether that's the case or not, at least he has sent someone off for a red card offence.

What concerns me is that he's sent him off for dangerous play. But surely one of Europe's top officials knows the rules of football? It genuinely concerns me.

Cold_Boy

The man from his face looks like a twat who thinks very very highly of himself. No matter he is wrong or right.

I knew that he would never come out and say it was a poor decision.

The man needs some serious punching in the face.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Not a big thing I know, but why is he saying that to a Spanish newspaper? Why not an English (which would make much more sense) or a Turkish one?

Also:
The world will realise the truth over time.
Just confirms what everyone has been saying really. He's an attention-seeking arrogant cnut.

Pretty much every manager, player and retired ref I heard state their opinion on the red card has said it was wrong, but yet UEFA backs up their ref and gives him an excellent rating. Not unexpected sadly, but it's exactly the problem with the closed community they have going that I referred to in another post. It's also the typical result from self-regulating.

If we are being picky, he missed a handball, penalty and red card for Rafael, a penalty on Evra and the red was wrong of course as there was no way Nani used "excessive force". They've got low standards if they count that as outstanding.
Yeah, good point. At best he missed two penalties (and possibly a red card for Rafael) after sending off Nani. UEFA completely ignored that, if the reports from Turkey are true, because it didn't fit their agenda and there hasn't been any focus from the media on either incident. Watch UEFA give Cuntey the final now as the final piece in their cover-up.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He genuinely has the face, eyes and demeanour of a psychopath and the quotes only add to that. Cold, calculating, self-centred cnut.