CA 2019 - Final - Brazil vs Peru

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Chile have resorted to long shots for the most part. They've been incapable of breaking down Peru's defence and have overly relied on crosses from wide areas without too much end product. Mind you, Peru had the perfect first half result and looked comfortable defending Chile.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Chile have resorted to long shots for the most part. They've been incapable of breaking down Peru's defence and have overly relied on crosses from wide areas without too much end product. Mind you, Peru had the perfect first half result and looked comfortable defending Chile.
You could say the same about a lot of United matches

Yagami

Good post resistant
Brilliant Peru!

What I don't get is the Chile manager waiting until the 88th minute to bring an extra forward on

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This is Brazil's nightmare scenario. Play a team you beat 5-0 only a couple of weeks ago. Cup in the bag, what can go wrong, huh?

Plenty. The longer Peru hold them out the more Brazil will self-destruct.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
What's funny about this match was that I thought it was yesterday and went to check highlights of the game. I didn't see a lot of videos except for a couple and this video was the match that I thought had happened and I was excited to see the 3-0 scoreline.

And now the real game ended with the same scoreline :lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant
At first glance I thought that was the highlights of this game, @Florida Man . I thought "that's quick" . I really need some sleep now but the heat won't make it easy

Jib

I'm french and Peru was the toughest opponent we played during the world cup last summer. But they were very unlucky...
Happy for them now, they deserved it !

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
You could say the same about a lot of United matches
With Chile specifically, they lacked two types of players: a goalscorer (Sanchez decided to drop deep whilst Vargas was nullified), and a playmaker (Vidal kept breaking into the box, whilst Aranguiz kept giving the ball to the full backs). Peru just made the midfield compact and stopped any combination plays in the middle. Chile, unlike United, did have full backs on both sides who could come forward, and they did create chances to no avail.

Having said that, Peru's defenders were very good. Zambrano contained Vargas and reduced his influence. He and Abram worked very well and nullified Chile's threat through the middle. Trauco and Advincula were very good at containing the wide players as well, even if Chile lacked quality up front. Going forward, they were way more pragmatic than they used to be, but that has served them well in the tournament. They can, however, easily turn it up at the risk of getting trounced by a good-quality attacking side like Brazil.

antohan

What's funny about this match was that I thought it was yesterday and went to check highlights of the game. I didn't see a lot of videos except for a couple and this video was the match that I thought had happened and I was excited to see the 3-0 scoreline.

And now the real game ended with the same scoreline :lol:
Karma is a bitch.

Back in the WCQ Chile visited Peru. Peru were winning and went a man down, Chile equalised but Peru back in front, but not for long. It was bloodshed and ended 3-4 to Chile. The cocky fecks left a message on the wall in the visitors area: "Respect! The Champions of America were here". BTW, it was Bravo.

Anecdote: Chile had lost 3-1 in Montevideo (with both Suarez and Cavani suspended), so during the next round of fixtures a mysterious graffiti emerged in the Centenario Stadium public toilets: "The Champions of America were here, and left with their arses broken"

In any case, it riled everyone, let alone the Peruvians, so it was funny as feck that their complaints on Bolivia fielding an ineligible player turned a draw into a win +3 GD... but also turned a Peru loss into a win adding 4 GD. They ended up drawn on points and Peru went to Russia for that +1GD :lol:

Adding salt to the wound, the game that put the nail in their coffin was a 1-0 loss to Bolivia, after Vidal got lippy with a Bolivian ("how does it feel to watch the WC on TV?"). That exact Bolivian scored the winner that left Vidal shopping for a new TV.

Now this. Awesome.

Last edited:

antohan

I'm french and Peru was the toughest opponent we played during the world cup last summer. But they were very unlucky...
Agree, said as much earlier. The order of the games really screwed them up once they managed to snatch defeat fron the jaws of victory against Denmark.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Guerrero gave the centerbacks hell. Rooting for Peru against Brazil

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Great match by Peru. We had many shot on target but were overall innefective.

This is the end of our golden generation then. Not bad numbers in copa america. It sucks that we couldnt get further than round of 16 on a WC.

I really hope Peru pulls another Maracanazo and beat the home team in the final!

Last edited:

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
If it was fixed for Brazil to win and they wanted Argentina out... how did Otamendi and Armani inexplicably escape red card vs Paraguay while 1-0 down? How did the penalty in favour of Qatar not get called? How come the Foyth penalty vs Venezuela wasn't given?

Argentina wouldn't even have been in the semifinals without ref mistakes.
Probably because of TV ratings and viewership. Copa probably doesn't want to risk an early Messi retirement again and they want a big team to face Brazil in the other half. If Argentina gets knocked out early again, Messi might retire and Copa can't allow that to happen.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Karma is a bitch.

Back in the WCQ Chile visited Peru. Peru were winning and went a man down, Chile equalised but Peru back in front, but not for long. It was bloodshed and ended 3-4 to Chile. The cocky fecks left a message on the wall in the visitors area: "Respect! The Champions of America were here". BTW, it was Bravo.

Anecdote: Chile had lost 3-1 in Montevideo (with both Suarez and Cavani suspended), so during the next round of fixtures a mysterious graffiti emerged in the Centenario Stadium public toilets: "The Champions of America were here, and left with their arses broken"

In any case, it riled everyone, let alone the Peruvians, so it was funny as feck that their complaints on Bolivia fielding an ineligible player turned a draw into a win +3 GD... but also turned a Peru loss into a win adding 4 GD. They ended up drawn on points and Peru went to Russia for that +1GD :lol:

Adding salt to the wound, the game that put the nail in their coffin was a 1-0 loss to Bolivia, after Vidal got lippy with a Bolivian ("how does it feel to watch the WC on TV?"). That exact Bolivian scored the winner that left Vidal shopping for a new TV.

Now this. Awesome.
This is beautiful. This should go viral. But to be fair to Bravo, football is an emotional sport and at the height of your emotion, your emotion and adrenaline will cause you to do stuff like that. Football fans have done this all the time and far worse. Football players are also human and fans like us too.

La Nuca

This is beautiful. This should go viral. But to be fair to Bravo, football is an emotional sport and at the height of your emotion, your emotion and adrenaline will cause you to do stuff like that. Football fans have done this all the time and far worse. Football players are also human and fans like us too.
Sounds like you’re excusing shitty behavior. There’s no excuse for that.

Alabaster Codify7

Peru, wow. Shame Brazil will walk the final. I fell in love with Chile, spent the past 4 weeks there watching the games, great fans.

FootyCrew

I saw France pretty comfortable against Peru, you scored early , then had some more chances in the first half...and then just gave them the ball in the second half, they didn't create any clear chance, except that long shot which hit the woodwork.

I saw France way more uncomfortable against Croatia in the first half, despite scoring first.
And the last minutes 10-15 minutes against Argentina were also way more uncomfortable for France than any moment in the match against Peru...Argentina almost equalize in the last minute.

Still Peru looks like a good team.

Last edited: