CA 2019 - Final - Brazil vs Peru

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Is Peru really that good? Or did Chile have a meltdown?
Chile just aren’t that good. Prior to this tournament they’d struggled for a few years. Their performance v Colombia was their best in years. Peru played well on the night. Pre tournament I’d have had last nights game 50/50. They played in October in America and Peru won 3-0 then as well. Did expect Chile to do better though given their performances so far this comp.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Chile just aren’t that good. Prior to this tournament they’d struggled for a few years. Their performance v Colombia was their best in years. Peru played well on the night. Pre tournament I’d have had last nights game 50/50. They played in October in America and Peru won 3-0 then as well. Did expect Chile to do better though given their performances so far this comp.
Oh, wow, didn't know that.

SharpshooterTom

I'm just curious but what sort of team will Argentina field for the 3rd place playoff? Will Messi play?

You would think a lot of other squad players should get a chance, don't see what the point of playing players like Aguero for.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
World cup qualifiers going to be interesting. Get the feeling this tournament is Chile swansong given Vidal, Medel and a few others are into their 30s now. Alexis is 30 but plays like 35 year old now.

Brazil is ahead but they really isn't much between 2nd to about 8th. People would still say Venezuela are one of the weaker South American teams, they drew 0-0 against Brazil and Peru.

Interesting next few years with many other key players getting on.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
World cup qualifiers going to be interesting. Get the feeling this tournament is Chile swansong given Vidal, Medel and a few others are into their 30s now. Alexis is 30 but plays like 35 year old now.

Brazil is ahead but they really isn't much between 2nd to about 8th. People would still say Venezuela are one of the weaker South American teams, they drew 0-0 against Brazil and Peru.

Interesting next few years with many other key players getting on.
Yeah think it’s the end of this Chile gen. Isn’t any real standout talents at any of their youth levels either. U22s struggled against younger sides in the Toulon tournament last month. They’ve punched massively above their weight the last few years though so a poorer spell is probably expected.

Would agree about below Brazil being pretty tightly matched. Venezuela did concede 3 diss goals to Brazil and probably should have lost to Peru as well but for being arguably the 2nd worst side in SA, they’re pretty strong. Bolivia still clearly the worst side which won’t be changing any time soon. They do have the huge advantage of playing in La Paz though for the home games, so they’re always going to be tough to beat away. Qualifiers will be great to watch I think, will he loads of games that will be hard to call.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I remember in last edition Uruguay had a brilliant start even with Suarez suspended for biting but they were clinging on to automatics at the end. Suarez, Cavani and Godin all will be mid 30s by end of qualification although for such a small population they have a brilliant production line of talent constantly coming through, look at majority of their midfielders being under 25.

Think Ecuador are the weakest SA team atm, most of their old guard like Valencia and Caciedo who got them to World cups are probably retiring and they seem to have lost that fear factor at home as they were losing regularly at the end of the campaign.

Would say them and Bolivia have no chance of making Qatar, if we say Brazil are certs then 7 others fighting for three automatic and the play off.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@FootballHQ Regarding Equador they have a talented generation like Venezuela coming in. They finished in third place last under 20 WC. Still 2 years younger than the Venezuelan generation, difficult to cut the gap in 3 years though.

Brasil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colômbia with more or less struggles will qualify. Then it’s difficult to predict who will be the fifth team.

As things are today I would say definitely Bolivia, maybe Equador are out of Qatar. I think it will be a battle between Chile, Paraguay or Peru.

It’s true Chile hasn’t nothing similar coming regarding individual talent, but Peru looks a team who is achieving better results based on the work done by Gareca, if we look at the players they have now or for the future it looks even worse than Chile.

Forgot to mention Paraguay, they are the type of team who can upset any team, they can fight for that fifth spot.

One thing is sure, unless something really bad happens the group of 4 with Br/Arg/Col/Uru definitely have more talent to exploit.

Always difficult to predict because the best players of this nations play in Europe, continental travels, jet lag, worse pitch conditions, it makes the life of this players worse than here in Europe imo.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Foyth was responsible for both Brazil goals. Every game I've seen from him he makes a huge mistake. Reminds me of Luiz when he first got to EPL.

SharpshooterTom

Looks like Messi, Aguero and Dybala will be playing against Chile. I think its largley because Messi wont be playing again till next summer, so while he's there you might as well play him with some youngsters.

Interestingly enough Messi still has a chance to become the tournaments top scorer if he bags a few.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looks like Messi, Aguero and Dybala will be playing against Chile. I think its largley because Messi wont be playing again till next summer, so while he's there you might as well play him with some youngsters.

Interestingly enough Messi still has a chance to become the tournaments top scorer if he bags a few.
Don't understand why they haven't tried that, one out and out striker and then two 10s in Messi and Dybala floating around. Stick three hard working midfielders behind who can cover plenty of ground and it could be effective.

izec

3rd game is a bit pointless. I can understand it at a WC, but anything else is just rubbish really.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't understand why they haven't tried that, one out and out striker and then two 10s in Messi and Dybala floating around. Stick three hard working midfielders behind who can cover plenty of ground and it could be effective.
Because he tried Lautaro and it worked

Only reason Dybala is starting this one is Lautaro is banned

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
It will be hilarious if Argentina lose to Chile in that 3rd place game.

One of those games where Argentina will be made fun of despite the result. If they win, they won it when it didn't matter. If they lose, well they lose heh.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Argentina-Chile at 8pm tonight. That's way too early!

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Game has started. Will be a good watch because it will be open and its the best pitch in copa america.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Think Argentinia will win the tournament. Lo Celso with a nice pass.

Bole Top

2-0. Argentina full of confidence now. still think Colombia will win it, but they're looking good atm.

wr8_utd

:'(
Lots of good signs for Argentina since the group stages ended. If they can fix the defense ahead of next year, they may actually win it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very pleased to see Dybala look good so far, his international career has been such a waste.

Bole Top

shame Medel isn't at Inter anymore, imagine him with Vidal and Radja in midfield. what a guy!