Calling 'Sheffield United' just 'Sheffield'

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
While we're at it we should also stop calling ‘Leeds United’ for ‘Leeds’ to not confuse them with the Rhinos.

Please also write ‘Newcastle United’ instead of ‘Newcastle’ so we know you’re talking about the football club and not the ale.

‘West Ham’ is a district in East London. Write ‘West Ham United’ if you’re talking about them in a football context.

NinjaFletch

What's wrong about it and why does it sound stupid? In addition to what I posted before, humans naturally try to be economic with their language. So far it seems logical.
Well there's 3 Sheffield clubs. One of whom are literally called FC Sheffield, and they're not Sheffield United. Sheffield are now shite, but they're recognised as the oldest football club in the world so it's at least odd to co-opt their name and give it to one of the other clubs from the city.

Secondly, literally everyone since time immemorial has called Sheffield United Sheffield United so when people don't do that it just sounds awful.

el3mel

When they're both in the premier league we can start to differentiate, however it's way too long and annoying to write "Sheffield United" when I want to talk about them.

NinjaFletch

While we're at it we should also stop calling ‘Leeds United’ for ‘Leeds’ to not confuse them with the Rhinos.

Please also write ‘Newcastle United’ instead of ‘Newcastle’ so we know you’re talking about the football club and not the ale.

‘West Ham’ is a district in East London. Write ‘West Ham United’ if you’re talking about them in a football context.
Well quite, there aren't any other football clubs in those three examples!

Siorac

People call Real Madrid as Madrid, Manchester City as City, AC Milan as Milan but Sheffield is where we draw the line?
Madrid fans themselves and Spanish football fans in general tend to refer to Real Madrid as "Madrid". Atlético is, well, Atlético or Atleti.

Canuckred64

I don't like it, but I lived in Sheffield as a kid, just up the road from Wednesday's ground. Almost all my relatives still live there or nearby. So it it just sounds wrong to my ears.

markhughes

Whose the bigger club out of them and Wednesday?
Wednesday are generally considered the bigger club however that opinion is based on historical success (pre-war) rather than anything relatively recent, they did have a good spell in the 90's though. Here he a run down of the two clubs as it stands today.

Seasons in PL

Blades 4 (5 next year)
Wed 7 - But not since the 90's

PL/Div one wins

Neither club has any post-war league titles but the clubs have won the following old Division One titles

Wed = 4
Blades = 1

FA Cup

Neither club has any post-war FA cup wins but the clubs have won the following.

Blades = 4
Wed = 3

League Cup

Sheffield Wed won the league cup in 1991.
Sheffield Utd have never won the league cup.

Ground Capacity
Blades = 32,702
Wed = 39,732

Average Attendance (2020)

Blades = 30,758
Wed = 23,773

The Blades had a higher average attendance than Wednesday the previous year when both clubs were in the Championship.

The truth is there isn't a great deal of difference between the two clubs in terms of size, if the rivalry between the clubs wasn't so strong the two clubs could be combined and Sheffield would be a very strong football city, it is actually the birthplace of modern football and boast the oldest organized football club in the world (Sheffield FC). Sheffield rules football actually existed before the creation of the FA rules.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know!

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I live in Sheffield and its fairly even and very geographical between North and south Sheffield.

You couldn't find a Sheffield United fan a few years ago though, while Wednesday are always crap but stay proud.
Probably because you can go to town and see someone in a full Wednesday kit rather than United more than anything :lol: I think it’s normal for there to be bandwagon fans though, but we’ve had great attendances from league one days.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Well there's 3 Sheffield clubs. One of whom are literally called FC Sheffield, and they're not Sheffield United. Sheffield are now shite, but they're recognised as the oldest football club in the world so it's at least odd to co-opt their name and give it to one of the other clubs from the city.

Secondly, literally everyone since time immemorial has called Sheffield United Sheffield United so when people don't do that it just sounds awful.
Sure but they're a regional team at best, so probably no one talks about them outside of Sheffield.

Sheffield United are a Premier League team and if we consider that language evolves over time as well, the 'pros' are running away with the argument.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Clearly what needs to happen is to continue calling them just Sheffield and tagging the OP into every post at the same time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well quite, there aren't any other football clubs in those three examples!
The other club from Sheffield is rarely named Sheffield. If anything I would get your point you were talking about Sheffield Wednesday and not Sheffield United.

Santos J

I live in Sheffield and its fairly even and very geographical between North and south Sheffield.

You couldn't find a Sheffield United fan a few years ago though, while Wednesday are always crap but stay proud.
Yeah it's funny how split it actually is in terms of proximity to each, I live near Bramall Lane & work next to Hillsborough and you'd be hard pushed to find fans of the opposite around each area. :lol:

Wednesday are generally considered the bigger club however that opinion is based on historical success (pre-war) rather than anything relatively recent, they did have a good spell in the 90's though. Here he a run down of the two clubs as it stands today.

Seasons in PL

Blades 4 (5 next year)
Wed 7 - But not since the 90's

PL/Div one wins

Neither club has any post-war league titles but the clubs have won the following old Division One titles

Wed = 4
Blades = 1

FA Cup

Neither club has any post-war FA cup wins but the clubs have won the following.

Blades = 4
Wed = 3

League Cup

Sheffield Wed won the league cup in 1991.
Sheffield Utd have never won the league cup.

Ground Capacity
Blades = 32,702
Wed = 39,732

Average Attendance (2020)

Blades = 30,758
Wed = 23,773

The Blades had a higher average attendance than Wednesday the previous year when both clubs were in the Championship.

The truth is there isn't a great deal of difference between the two clubs in terms of size, if the rivalry between the clubs wasn't so strong the two clubs could be combined and Sheffield would be a very strong football city, it is actually the birthplace of modern football and boast the oldest organized football club in the world (Sheffield FC). Sheffield rules football actually existed before the creation of the FA rules.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know!
Thanks - interesting read :)

SAFMUTD

I agree bro, its so confusing not knowing if theyre talking about sheffield united who plays in the premier league or about the other Sheffield who are in midtable in the championship and are not even remotely close to go up to the premier.

Because it could be anyone you know, totally makes sense.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've always referred to the one team as Sheffield and the other as Wednesday. But now that I know that calling Sheffield United "Sheffield" will trigger some people, it gives me even more reason to continue doing it :lol: :lol: :lol:

markhughes

I've always referred to the one team as Sheffield and the other as Wednesday. But now that I know that calling Sheffield United "Sheffield" will trigger some people, it gives me even more reason to continue doing it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fun Fact: Sheffield Wednesday used to be actually named "Wednesday FC" so technically you are correct but just a hundred years too late.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
It doesn’t trigger me so much it just seems weird, I can get why people would say it with us being the only PL side in Sheffield but it just sounds odd. I remember being told off for saying Man Utd as a kid by my Man Utd supporting relatives :lol:

HalfBaked22

I'm just as frustrated about yesterday's result as well but this really shouldn't be something that you lose sleep over.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I agree bro, its so confusing not knowing if theyre talking about sheffield united who plays in the premier league or about the other Sheffield who are in midtable in the championship and are not even remotely close to go up to the premier.

Because it could be anyone you know, totally makes sense.
It's not about it confusing people, it's just wrong. Like when people called Maguire MacGuire for a long time when we were linked with him.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It doesn’t trigger me so much it just seems weird, I can get why people would say it with us being the only PL side in Sheffield but it just sounds odd. I remember being told off for saying Man Utd as a kid by my Man Utd supporting relatives :lol:
ManUtd isn't a trigger, however some people get pissed if you say "Man Utd"...