Can you see Diogo Dalot stating a serious claim for the RB-position?

King_Cantona07

Dalot is a horrible defender, just remember the CL games this year.

AWB has improved offensively, and is a far better defender, he’ll prove he’s a superior player soon enough. He has to improve, but he’s still young too.
the system we play now is like liverpool with TAA who himself is not an excellent defender. But the system make sure hes not exposed, if dalot can defect Zaha he will be fine against most wingers.

Skills

Snitch
The thing with AWB as well is it became trendy very early on to criticise him for his attacking play due to the silly hype over Alexander Arnold, so now it gets blown stupidly out of proportion and he has no hope of ever shaking it off unless he transforms into right back Roberto Carlos.
You think Alexander Arnold is silly hype?

Hughie77

In a word yes. So can AWB if the same system is used. The palace game was the 1st game in a long time where I wasn't concerned when we lost the ball, because we lost it in areas where we could get players back to defend it. Before ie Everton . Watford Liverpool , lost the ball in areas where we struggled to defend them. Dalot, was very good in both games, and he has always been able to cross it, it's his one on one defending where he's struggled. If you look at The scums full backs TAA, Robertson, both of those can struggle one on one as well. The team controls the game more so they don't get to many one on ones. Like on Sunday UTD controlled the game.
AWB can do more going forward , so we got 2 very good fullbacks.

goptun

Nah that's a bit if a nonsense to be honest. He certainly needs to improve but you're doing exactly what I said in terms of going into hyperbolic silliness. I honestly don't know what standards people are judging AWB by but they are both unrealistic and blatantly hypocritical.

As an example when he got sent off earlier in the season, and the caf concluded it only happened because he is rubbish at football, conveniently ignoring the fact it was the exact kind of mistake the obviously technically gifted Pogba (among others) makes multiple times a game. The issue is people particularly on the internet jump in board with trendy opinions and then see everything in a tunnel to fit their narrative.

Bissaka has shown he can take the ball forwards, provide assists, link up with team mates and even beat defenders on his own and whip a dangerous ball into the box. What he has to prove is he can do it consistently and provide a genuine attacking outlet.

If you're judging him by the standards of he's rubbish unless he provides about 8 chances a game then you'll forever be criticising him and all that will change is that when someone else plays you'll apply different standards and automatically assume they are better.
I feel like we must be watching different players. With regards to this idea that it's cool to criticise AWB, is this how football works now? By not rating a player you immediately become a part of a band of illogical 'haters'?

I must be missing something, cos based on what we've seen thus far there's very little to suggest he'll be the marauding RB we need him to be in my opinion. He's just a very limited footballer (though obviously we'd all love for Rangnick to somehow turn water into wine). There's not a cat in hell's chance Rangnick signs him if he was in charge back in 2019.

The Pogba comparison is bizarre. Pogba is the most criticised player at United (in modern times arguably ever?) - he's held to insane standards wrt every single facet of his game. He was lambasted for that red against Liverpool despite it having zero influence on the outcome of the game! More generally, he's routinely bashed for both his defensive efforts and lack of influence going forward in games (as well as his dancing, haircuts, etc). The difference is, Pogba has been our best and standout player at times in his United career and is just a much more gifted and effective player. With AWB, you get bizarre moments like the Wolves game last season where they quite literally gave him as much space as he wanted to go forward (with which he did feck all), or the RB Leipzig game where you could hear their bench shouting to target his flank.

AWB is another in a long list of sufferers of United's lack of thorough planning because his skill set just isn't suited to a top team that wants to play on the front foot. Would love to be proven wrong but I find it hard to look past his uncomfortable technique on the ball.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
His erratic performances will stop when he settles down and marries Claudia Lopes, his girlfriend. Marriage isn't just for keepers, Diogo. I'll let him know on Instagram.

Himannv

I think AWB has flaws in his defensive game as well as his offensive game. It's like he's seeing the game one pass at a time and that's not really a good habit for a top defender - ideally you need to see the game one or two passes ahead of the play. especially when you're in the backline.

His tackling is great and I think he's hard to get past if he's in the right position at the right time, but defending is more than that and you have to proactive with your positioning. I think he's often just watching the ball, reacting slightly late, and having to rely on his tackling as a result. That's not really ideal as you could get it wrong and get carded. It's also not a very sustainable way of defending because as you get older, you lose some physical attributes that make what he's doing more difficult.

I don't think Dalot is particularly great defensively, but he has a far better footballing brain and better technique on the ball so I think that combination has more promise than the physical aspect that AWB offers.

PoTMS

Nah that's a bit if a nonsense to be honest. He certainly needs to improve but you're doing exactly what I said in terms of going into hyperbolic silliness. I honestly don't know what standards people are judging AWB by but they are both unrealistic and blatantly hypocritical.

As an example when he got sent off earlier in the season, and the caf concluded it only happened because he is rubbish at football, conveniently ignoring the fact it was the exact kind of mistake the obviously technically gifted Pogba (among others) makes multiple times a game. The issue is people particularly on the internet jump in board with trendy opinions and then see everything in a tunnel to fit their narrative.

Bissaka has shown he can take the ball forwards, provide assists, link up with team mates and even beat defenders on his own and whip a dangerous ball into the box. What he has to prove is he can do it consistently and provide a genuine attacking outlet.

If you're judging him by the standards of he's rubbish unless he provides about 8 chances a game then you'll forever be criticising him and all that will change is that when someone else plays you'll apply different standards and automatically assume they are better.
Absolute nonsense. Wan-Bissaka is dreadful at all of these things. It's part and parcel of being a modern day full back and the fact that you have to make a point about it when on the rare occasion he manages to do it successfully tells you all you need to know about the qualities he brings to this football team.

romufc

Dalot is a horrible defender, just remember the CL games this year.

AWB has improved offensively, and is a far better defender, he’ll prove he’s a superior player soon enough. He has to improve, but he’s still young too.
The Villareal game? Bringing a player out from the cold to play a CL game and expect him to do wonders in a team that has no system?

I mean he might be a far better defender but AWB has been a disaster defensively this season too, the amount of times he loses his man, switches off is crazy.

Going forward, Dalot is much much better, his touch, pass, vision are levels above AWB.

Also, he is young and can improve? He is 24 and Dalot is 22, younger than him, with more potential in the way we play now.

Abraxas

The protection Dalot got against Villarreal was an absolute joke.

He did defend poorly in that game, he shouldn't have sold himself so cheaply - but even the best full backs will rely on some midfield cover against tricky forwards.

Even if you think back to Ferguson's wing play, getting back and helping a full back was fundamental and we had full backs that would be considered good defenders, not a lad coming out from the cold in a one off game. It works slightly differently now but the idea is the same, you can't just let wingers get a full head of steam at the edge of your box as the defender has no margin for error.

I don't believe that game should be a big factor in assessing Dalot. It's what he does over a run of matches.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It certainly looks like it is his to lose right now but I wouldn't underestimate AWB's ability to wrestle it back. He will thrive a lot in the style of defence that Rangnick wants to play, it will just remain to be seen if he can get anywhere near the quality of early ball into the box that Dalot supplies.

It can be worked on, Gary Neville was terrible at it until Beckham left and worked hard to improve his crossing.

studs

Yep, if he wants it, and if he is serious enough to take it. This is his chance, AWB got his and hasn't done anything with it. You just have to open your eyes to see why Dalot should be given a shot at it and i trust Rangnick will see this when he sees AWB playing.

0le

He was worth AC Milan playing him quite a lot and a call up into the Portugal squad. So there must be something about him that multiple managers see in him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If somebody put a gun to my head I'd say no, Dalot is not a good defender from what I've seen so far* and I think he'll be a liability. I always fear having a fullback who is easy target in 1on1 duels.
However, I would definitely not write him off, part of managers job is to develop backup players as well, so if Dalot can work on his defensive flaws, then it makes sense to keep him.

Wan Bissaka is in terrible form, seems like it synchronized in English camp between him, Shaw and Maguire. But once he recovers he'll be back in the team I reckon.
Then he will be sold as his 1on1 ability is not compensating on issues in his general game, and I think there will be many buyers. We will get another RB soon IMO. And then Dalot will stay as backup in best case scenario (for him).

*he played two very good games, but I remain skeptical.

goptun

It should be Dalot's to lose at this point. I demand to know what it is people see in AWB, he's all over the damn place.

King_Cantona07

AWB has very bad concentration. Dvb pass should have been trapped, unfortunately went to awb who was half asleep and trying to give ball away and escape. We need people who own the ball and try to turn it into attack.

Hester_manc

I can see him playing more and more now. It seems like he has grown as a player. But 1 or 2 games does not make him choise no. 1 at RB

Based Adnan

Dalot might not be that guy but I think it's obvious for anyone to see that AWB is definitely not. Hopefully his chances are limited moving forward and we can see what Dalot brings playing week in week out.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
AWB just did a stretcher job post-match, so Dalot is likely to get a run of games now.

TSE123

Amazing how AWB gets praised by some for being good defensively. His not! Today was once again a perfect example of that.
Ever wonder why he has to slide tackle all the time? His positioning is way off (worse then maguire), and he falls behind.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Wan Bissaka isn't good enough but I'm pretty sure Dalot isn't the answer long term. We need a new RB.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Wan Bissaka isn't good enough but I'm pretty sure Dalot isn't the answer long term. We need a new RB.
It changed pretty quickly didn't it! I mean Dalot didn't even had some amazing game, just didn't embarrass himself with shocking defending and had one of his better days going forward where he doesn't hit the row z with his crosses or over hits simply passes.

Now we seem to be quite reliant on him hitting the ground running and I hope he does because AWB looks awful lately, on the other hand, RR can hopefully improve both players and their defenciencies and AWB showed in his first season some superb displays thatthis thread title is pretty laughable. When he plays 30 superb games in a row like AWB we can talk about it, so far everyone remembers players going past him like through butter when defending isolated. So really fingers crossed he can iron out his mistakes quickly.

However I agree we should be looking for a RB and if Laird is not trusted yet we could snatch MAx Aarons when they get relegated perhaps of a player like that. Lwt's see if we have budget for that because we certainly need a CM or two, CB and a Striker..

CraftySoAndSo

I think he deserves a consistent shot to make the spot his. We bought him at 18 or 19 or so and typically when a player is that age the next phase of development is senior football either here or on loan. If i remember correctly and please correct me if i'm wrong but when we bought him he was regarded as far better attacking than defending and being coached by mourinho with the aim of ironing out his defensive liabilities.
But the problem is he is now 22 with no consistent run of games under his belt, since 18 he's only really played the off few games here or there either under mourinho or ole where maybe he wasn't allowed to be as attacking as he's suited to thus highlighting his defensive errors. And also a loan spell and milan where he was back up to both right back and left back so was frequently in and out of the team playing different positions.
So i think he does deserve a consistent run of games so we can better judge where his current potential is at, and if he isn't deemed good enough i hope ragnick or whoever is next will give laird the chance instead buying someone else and stunting his path here as well.

rooney2009

Are you taking the piss? I'm dead serious, if you think he had even a decent season you're nuts, sorry.
of course He had a decent season
we came 2nd and Europa cup final
we also had 2nd best defensive record going into the last 5 games of the season when we started resting players
he was very important for us and he had a decent season
but you guys obviously have to pick on someone and its AWB turn now
Give him time and a good coach and he will be ok

Snuffkin

AWB is having some bad form which is perfectly normal for a young player. Dalot has had bad spells. The competition will be good for them both.

Foxbatt

I worry about Dalot now. If he gets injured who is going to be playing as RB regularly? We need a better back up than AWB.

Jev

I worry about Dalot now. If he gets injured who is going to be playing as RB regularly? We need a better back up than AWB.
That's probably true and ETH certainly seems to agree based on his comments last night. But the fact we paid 50 million for a right-back who's not good enough to be backup is up there with the most depressing United facts of the last nine years.

themanguydude

I think Ten Hag have previously said that Malacia/Lindelof could play there if required

Which says a lot about how much ETH rates AWB when the manager would rather play a LB/CB in your position over you.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
AWB is positionally error prone from crosses but that's all. It can be sorted out with a bit of positional coaching.

Every time he has played for us Dalot has been out of position multiple times a game. Also the amount of times he gets beaten by his man is silly.
I think I had too much faith in AWB at the time but I was right about Dalot. He's improved massively in those areas though.