Canadian Politics

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I do not see anyone yet in the Tory Party. How about that lady? The problem is that the core Conservative party is too conservative for most of Canada. They need to be fiscal conservatives but liberal in other ways. That is not happening in the conservative party. Harper took it too right. NDP is disappearing in the Maritimes. They need to fight in the maritimes to show an alternative to the Liberals.
Which lady do you mean? I actually thought Ambrose did pretty well, but I don't think she wants the permanent job. Didn't she even quit parliament?

Harper kinda did what the GOP under Trump is doing in the US: play to the core base (of the Reform Party), and make the most of that by making them want to go vote. But in Canada, too, that's a very limited strategy; it has a ceiling of some 35%, in good years. And the CPC isn't getting good years with these leaders and while running against Trudeau. Also, their high popular vote count is useless if they use it only to sweep the Prairies.

I agree, the NDP will find it hard to reestablish themselves. On top of the lack of charisma and ideas, Trudeau's move to the left on social issues leaves them little space to stand out. Their best hope is a change to the electorals system really. They're really just lucky Trudeau ended up with a minority. But he'll take credit for whatever the NDP manages to push through as well.

Foxbatt

The prairies is where Mackay got screwed up too.
I think Trudeau is praying that Biden wins and he can then get along and try to get the economy back on track and do away with the tariffs and release Meng too.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Mackay screwed himself by believing he was the front runner due to his (supposed) popularity and s a result he didn't campaign strongly enough.

Additionally, card carrying conservatives viewed him as a red tory (more liberal than conservative) and therefore don't trust him.

There may also be some resentment within the party for him walking away and allowing Sheer to be the leader after Stephen Harper stepped down.

Dr. Dwayne

Which lady do you mean?
Leslyn Lewis, most likely. There was a lot of support for her among conservatives, albeit of a strategic nature as they felt that Trudeau's typical virtue signalling wouldn't stand up against a black woman (was wierd reading support for her from what were likely older white males).

While I liked her, sadly, the truth is her electability is completely unproven and her views on abortion are way too far to the right to be palatable to voters.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, Mackay had various issues within the CPC. My father-in-law (who leans right) keeps mentioning how he sold out the old PC party by merging it with the Reform Party just after having promised not to do that if he got to lead the PC. I'd agree that he had the Red Tory profile, but then he was working with Harper all through his reign, so I guess his actual profile has become quite murky.

I don't know too much about Leslyn Lewis, but my impression was that she's a social conservative. That's just a losing strategy on a national level.

Foxbatt

From what I know of Mackay he eventually fell out with Harper because Mackay was not right wing enough for the Reform Party. Kenney and Baird promised to support him and later withdraw their support. This is the end of Mackay in politics.
A new person that's acceptable to majority of the people has to take over the Tory leadership.
It's going to be interesting next year. I think Trudeau is going to call an election as soon as covid is under control. I am surprised that after Layton NDP does nothing in Atlantic Canada. In the last election in New Brunswick they didn't even win a single seat. The people's alliance which is an anti French anti immigrants party won two seats defeating the provincial liberal party leader.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Liberals love moving left if it means taking votes from the dippers :lol:
I've seen you say dippers a few times now. Is there a reference I'm missing? Can't recall having seen that before, and I'm not sure why it would be warranted?

Dr. Dwayne

I've seen you say dippers a few times now. Is there a reference I'm missing? Can't recall having seen that before, and I'm not sure why it would be warranted?
It's not like the dipper reference to Liverpool fans rather it's derived from the phoenetic sound of their acronym (NDP > NDPers > DPers = Dippers). It may be mostly a prairie phrase.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's not like the dipper reference to Liverpool fans rather it's derived from the phoenetic sound of their acronym (NDP > NDPers > DPers = Dippers). It may be mostly a prairie phrase.
Ah! Never seen or heard that before. You learn something every day.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
good to know. I hope to be able to cast a vote for the first time next elections and I need to gather as much information possible to look politically cultured :p

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
good to know. I hope to be able to cast a vote for the first time next elections and I need to gather as much information possible to look politically cultured :p
Where are you located now? At least in my 'world', I don't think calling the NDP the dippers would be well regarded. But then I'm not in the Prairies. ;)

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Where are you located now? At least in my 'world', I don't think calling the NDP the dippers would be well regarded. But then I'm not in the Prairies. ;)
Oh, Im guessing is not the way to call them, just to know what some people might call them. I live in Vancouver and applied for citizenship on June, though exams and most of ceremonies are cancelled for now. I am a political animal and I like to have an opinion (wrong or right) about everything but to be fair, I didn't take much interests in canadian politics as I am a bit exhausted with spanish, european and other conflicts in general. But if I have to vote, better check what is going on, and for now, NDP seems closer to my ideology

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oh, Im guessing is not the way to call them, just to know what some people might call them. I live in Vancouver and applied for citizenship on June, though exams and most of ceremonies are cancelled for now. I am a political animal and I like to have an opinion (wrong or right) about everything but to be fair, I didn't take much interests in canadian politics as I am a bit exhausted with spanish, european and other conflicts in general. But if I have to vote, better check what is going on, and for now, NDP seems closer to my ideology
Cool! I'm in the Ottawa area. Yeah, if you're leftist it's Greens or NDP, not other choice really! Although there can there be quite some difference between the federal and provincial variants of parties. The BC and Quebec Libs and are more like the OntarioProgressive Conservatives, who are a lot more centrist than the federal Cons, who are more like the Alberta Cons - while the Alberta NDP are probably a lot like the current federal Libs. And so on!

Dr. Dwayne

He grew a beard to hide behind because of all of his secrets and lies.

And 'wiser' is a word that should never be mentioned in the same breath as that mimbo.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Congrats! Must be a shocking change of pace. Thanks for the good news above, as well.
Thanks. We love it so far. We’re outdoors all the time and winter hasn’t been below 0 yet which is nice. I was lucky and could keep my job working remotely.

It’s mostly NDP here. The Conservatives don’t even bother in Vancouver Island from what I’ve seen.

Dr. Dwayne

Thanks. We love it so far. We’re outdoors all the time and winter hasn’t been below 0 yet which is nice. I was lucky and could keep my job working remotely.

It’s mostly NDP here. The Conservatives don’t even bother in Vancouver Island from what I’ve seen.
All retirees and hippies out there from what I know, so it would make sense.

A very nice spot, though, not surprised that you love it and are enjoying the scenery.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
All retirees and hippies out there from what I know, so it would make sense.

A very nice spot, though, not surprised that you love it and are enjoying the scenery.
May's Green seat in Ottawa has also come from Victoria Island. It's a good place that way.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The Island is great. You need to do the west coast trail and cape Scott when they will open after COVID

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
My girlfriend wants to kill me because I am singing this song for the last 6 months

Im obsessed

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:lol:"I disappointed no-one more than myself."

Ontario minister who flouted Covid advice to take Caribbean holiday resigns

The finance minister for Canada’s most populous province has resigned after going on a Caribbean vacation during the pandemic and apparently trying to hide the fact by sending social media posts showing him in a sweater before a fireplace.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....inister-resigns-caribbean-holiday-coronavirus
The complete quote is even better. “I hope people appreciate that I disappointed no one more than myself,”.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If I'm not mistaken (but I might be overlooking some cases), there have been four ministers that did similar stuff, in Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. This one takes the biscuit though, going there for this long and not even notifying the prime minister before departure. That PM (Doug Ford) actually should also take some blame, as he first pretended not to know about this at all, only to admit the next day that he had been notified a couple of days after the minister's departure (which was a few weeks before the PM's initial press conference).

Anyway, it's mindboggling how politicians, who know how they're in the public eye, think they can just do this right now, when case numbers are spiking across Canada and people are being locked down in every province and territory and urged to be more careful.

Jippy

Staff
If I'm not mistaken (but I might be overlooking some cases), there have been four ministers that did similar stuff, in Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. This one takes the biscuit though, going there for this long and not even notifying the prime minister before departure. That PM (Doug Ford) actually should also take some blame, as he first pretended not to know about this at all, only to admit the next day that he had been notified a couple of days after the minister's departure (which was a few weeks before the PM's initial press conference).

Anyway, it's mindboggling how politicians, who know how they're in the public eye, think they can just do this right now, when case numbers are spiking across Canada and people are being locked down in every province and territory and urged to be more careful.
The log fire and jumper ruse was a masterstroke.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The log fire and jumper ruse was a masterstroke.
I had actually missed that; I responded based on stuff I'd read quickly on CBC. Some great details in that Gaurdian article. Must've been hot wearing a sweater on the beach for that Zoom call.

I see Ford also apologized. He was really only elected because people here were totally fed up with the Ontario Liberals, and his ratings were abysmal pretty much from the moment he took office. He's been fairly OK managing Ontario's response to the pandemic actually (to my surprise and to his credit; he seems to really listen to his experts), which has boasted his ratings and now makes him look re-electable. In the meantime, though, he has restarted imementing some of the shitty policies people hated him for (environmental legislation hidden in an omnibus bill just recently; can't wait till he takes on the Franco-Ontarians again...) - except this now goes under the radar. I hope people notice soon and the Ontario Tories are comprehensively sent packing next election.

Dr. Dwayne

Premier not Prime Minister.

Jippy

Staff
I had actually missed that; I responded based on stuff I'd read quickly on CBC. Some great details in that Gaurdian article. Must've been hot wearing a sweater on the beach for that Zoom call.

I see Ford also apologized. He was really only elected because people here were totally fed up with the Ontario Liberals, and his ratings were abysmal pretty much from the moment he took office. He's been fairly OK managing Ontario's response to the pandemic actually (to my surprise and to his credit; he seems to really listen to his experts), which has boasted his ratings and now makes him look re-electable. In the meantime, though, he has restarted imementing some of the shitty policies people hated him for (environmental legislation hidden in an omnibus bill just recently; can't wait till he takes on the Franco-Ontarians again...) - except this now goes under the radar. I hope people notice soon and the Ontario Tories are comprehensively sent packing next election.
It does take a certain character to lie so brazenly and think he'll get away with it- presumably there will be people who'll recognise him wherever he goes.
You had that crackhead guy as well in Canada though I guess, so your domestic politics is more colourful than people might imagine.

bleedred

Good to know that atleast here politicians can be shamed into resignation, to an extent.

jem

I just realized that Renata Ford, wife of the late Rob Ford is in the same FB group as me (the Toronto Catholic School board parents group.) She is certifiable (her FB page is Qanon level.)