Canadian Politics

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Agree with you. Many provincial conservative governments have made it mandatory for the employees to be vaccinated. This has got nothing to do with Trudeau.
I suppose they are lucky that they only threw gravel at him. I saw him campaigning last month and they had a few snipers around.
Nothing in that, really. He's always maintained an excessive protection detail. Like eveything else Justin, it's probably due to his father's 'popularity'.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nothing in that, really. He's always maintained an excessive protection detail. Like eveything else Justin, it's probably due to his father's 'popularity'.
Where is Trudeau Sr. still popular actually? Not in Quebec, not out west due to National Energy Program - but I don't know about elsewhere. (That's not why people are protesting now though.)

Dr. Dwayne

Where is Trudeau Sr. still popular actually? Not in Quebec, not out west due to National Energy Program - but I don't know about elsewhere. (That's not why people are protesting now though.)
In this instance I am using popularity sarcastically, hence the single quotes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In this instance I am using popularity sarcastically, hence the single quotes.
I know! :) I was following up on that, just wondering if he is actually popular anywhere these days. The media often portray him as this semi-legendary character, but that doesn't seem to be the popular view.

Actually, I see the Legacy section of his Wikipedia article is quite interesting for that: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Trudeau

Dr. Dwayne

I know! :) I was following up on that, just wondering if he is actually popular anywhere these days. The media often portray him as this semi-legendary character, but that doesn't seem to be the popular view.

Actually, I see the Legacy section of his Wikipedia article is quite interesting for that: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Trudeau
I have a feeling that older women in southern Ontario love PET to this day.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I have a feeling that older women in southern Ontario love PET to this day.
:lol:

Just like Justin will still have his adorers in a couple of decades... (If he doesn't lose this election and resign, that would rather erase him from history.)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
PPC polling well at around 7% but I guess that's the anti vax crowd flocking that way. Might take votes away from O'Toole with the PPC ending up with no seats.

Hilarious that they share UKIP's purple.

Foxbatt

Just like Justin will still have his adorers in a couple of decades... (If he doesn't lose this election and resign, that would rather erase him from history.)
I heard that this is his last election. I still think he is going to win but even with a more reduced number of seats.
As a head of government it's obvious they all have top security now. Especially with lunatics around.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I'm thinking right now it'll end up a slim Liberal minority but Trudeau is going to lose more seats. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Conservatives pick a few up and end up within three or four of the Liberals.

Dr. Dwayne

I'm most intrigued by the new Centrist Party. It amuses me because all the major parties are centrist. Then when I looked into them they are all south Asian men. Strange one.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I heard that this is his last election. I still think he is going to win but even with a more reduced number of seats.
As a head of government it's obvious they all have top security now. Especially with lunatics around.
I'm thinking right now it'll end up a slim Liberal minority but Trudeau is going to lose more seats. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Conservatives pick a few up and end up within three or four of the Liberals.
Yeah, I think so too. O'Toole is polling well but he needs to make it count in specific ridings and that's not happening enough yet. I also expect the polls to swing back a little in Trudeau's favour; he has been losing a lot so far and the Cons aren't that popular. Nothing is certain though; as much as votes for Bernier will hurt the Cons, the increase in NDP votes will hurt the Libs as well. And the Cons don't have the obvious weaknesses that they had under Scheer last time. But yeah, I also think Trudeau will return with a slimmer minority. (Which serves him exactly right - and is better for the country as far as I am concerned. If only it would bring electoral reform back on the table!)

Didn't hear about this being Trudeau's last election. How's that? He's had enough of people confronting him with his loose sense of ethics?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm most intrigued by the new Centrist Party. It amuses me because all the major parties are centrist. Then when I looked into them they are all south Asian men. Strange one.
I hadn't even heard of them yet. :) I had a quick look at their platform, and it looks like they're a sort of progressive conservative party - although basically they are trying to solve everything while balancing the budget. Maybe they should be called the Fantasy Party.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Any of you seeing big anti-vax protests going on? Saw about 200 people in Victoria outside parliament a couple of days ago. I think it was Saturday. Almost 80% of over 12's have two jabs I think so it's a small minority.

Tbh I think it was a mix of anti-vax and anti vaccine passports/masks on kids.

Dr. Dwayne

I hadn't even heard of them yet. :) I had a quick look at their platform, and it looks like they're a sort of progressive conservative party
Yeah, I just saw a couple of signs pop up in my riding this weekend.

- although basically they are trying to solve everything while balancing the budget. Maybe they should be called the Fantasy Party.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Not sure that is true. In 2015 (ok, before he was PM) he had a stop near my house that I happen upon when I was out for a walk. Without any details on me I got right up to the bus and saw him walk out. Not a security person in sight, just a few folks at the bus door who informed me what was going on.

I'm sick to death of antivaxers - others have rightly pointed out that provincial leaders should be the target of their ire (ridiculous as it is). There is a weird intersection of right wing politics and antivaxers taking place. In the past the far left and right seemed to meet on the antivax issue. Now they are blurred with far right nationalists.

It'd be nice if someone, anyone, would stand up to them. Trudeau may be a cocky, arrogant, shithead, but he and especially his kids and family don't deserve this. No one does. Enough of these radical lunatics.

Dr. Dwayne

Not sure that is true. In 2015 (ok, before he was PM) he had a stop near my house that I happen upon when I was out for a walk. Without any details on me I got right up to the bus and saw him walk out. Not a security person in sight, just a few folks at the bus door who informed me what was going on.

I'm sick to death of antivaxers - others have rightly pointed out that provincial leaders should be the target of their ire (ridiculous as it is). There is a weird intersection of right wing politics and antivaxers taking place. In the past the far left and right seemed to meet on the antivax issue. Now they are blurred with far right nationalists.

It'd be nice if someone, anyone, would stand up to them. Trudeau may be a cocky, arrogant, shithead, but he and especially his kids and family don't deserve this. No one does. Enough of these radical lunatics.
Hey mate. Yeah just since he's been PM. Do you have any Centrist Party candidates in your riding?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sounds like a decent shout. I wish the CPC would dump the far right so we could have a few options in the center.
One of my dreams ( :D ) for a proportional electoral system is that it negates the need for a united conservative party, since vote splitting would not matter anymore. So they might just stop the bickering and split back into their progressive conservatives and social conservatives factions - leaving the latter forever in the dust.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
What’re we thinking then going into Monday? Slim minority either way? Seems like PPC are taking away Conservative votes with a late surge in the polls.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What’re we thinking then going into Monday? Slim minority either way? Seems like PPC are taking away Conservative votes with a late surge in the polls.
My impression is that the end result is likely to look a lot like the parliament we had. In which case: what a waste of time and money...

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Well, it's go time. Votes will be counted. Seats will be awarded. The population will remain unfulfilled, and unsatisfied. Sentiments that remind me of Dwazza's mom after our trip to the handicap stall at Kelsey's in North Bay.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
As a PR I can't vote but my fiancé voted early and went Liberal as a thank you for the CERB. Our riding will almost certainly be NDP though.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
As a PR I can't vote but my fiancé voted early and went Liberal as a thank you for the CERB. Our riding will almost certainly be NDP though.
I don't get that 'thank you'... Every party would have done that - to different degrees, sure, but it's not specific to the Liberals.

Sorry, I'm just generally not really getting the pandemic bonus governments are getting. Ford here in Ontario is an incompetent idiot that bumbled his way through the pandemic mostly OK (apart from a few serious errors) because he had some bad personal experiences with it and cares a lot about public opinion. If that causes people to forget the shedload of stuff he was messing up in his short period in power before the pandemic hit and instead gives him a bonus at the 2022 provincial election because, I will be SO pissed off...

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I don't get that 'thank you'... Every party would have done that - to different degrees, sure, but it's not specific to the Liberals.

Sorry, I'm just generally not really getting the pandemic bonus governments are getting. Ford here in Ontario is an incompetent idiot that bumbled his way through the pandemic mostly OK (apart from a few serious errors) because he had some bad personal experiences with it and cares a lot about public opinion. If that causes people to forget the shedload of stuff he was messing up in his short period in power before the pandemic hit and instead gives him a bonus at the 2022 provincial election because, I will be SO pissed off...
I think she just wants an excuse to vote Liberal. I’d probably go NDP myself if I could vote.

Foxbatt

Provincial politics will play a role in the Federal election. What is crazy is that today most ridings would not be decided because of mail in ballots. I don't understand why they can't count the mail in ballots tonight?
So no one will know until tomorrow night what happens.
I personally think Liberals will have another minority government. The PPC will take votes from the Tories.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Provincial politics will play a role in the Federal election. What is crazy is that today most ridings would not be decided because of mail in ballots. I don't understand why they can't count the mail in ballots tonight?
I personally think Liberals will have another minority government. The PPC will take votes from the Tories.
There was some information on the reason for the delay in this article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/marked-ballots-federal-election-explainer-1.6180015

Something to do with starting today for mailed ballots, and having to verify whether people haven't voted twice. That can become time-consuming given the high number of people voting by mail this time round. It will probably only matter for tight races though; I'm sure my riding will be called (Liberals) early in the evening, for example.

Charlie Foley

Anyone able to tell me a good channel/site I can follow along on? I have a VPN if needed. I’m checking in on Bloomberg but that’s just seats and nothing more frequent/informative. Looks like conservatives picked up seats in Newfoundland/Labrador and Nova Scotia but one of the little circles just changed colour so I don’t really understand this site :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is CBC available outside Canada? It's certainly freely accessible over here. See here:

https://www.cbc.ca/television

Little is definitive right now as polls only closed an hour ago in Atlantic Canada. So what you're looking at are probably current standings, which can change all the time until someone has built up a big enough advantage in a riding to call it. But yes, the Cons are currently on track to gain a few seats in Atlantic Canada.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Seeing the Cons on track to make gains really makes my blood boil. That was a perfectly functional minority government Trudeau had in place! I will be so pissed off if we end up with a Con minority, or even a weakened Lib minority that depends on Con votes to pass legislation. (Although that would see us return to the polls very soon I'd think.)

ABC as far as I'm concerned.

Charlie Foley

Is CBC available outside Canada? It's certainly freely accessible over here. See here:

https://www.cbc.ca/television

Little is definitive right now as polls only closed an hour ago in Atlantic Canada. So what you're looking at are probably current standings, which can change all the time until someone has built up a big enough advantage in a riding to call it. But yes, the Cons are currently on track to gain a few seats in Atlantic Canada.
Thanks I’ll check that out. I am currently watching CTV as it came up on Google. Is CBC more reputable?
The counter on CTV switched from 23-9 to 24-8; I’d rather it said 0-0. So frustrating :lol: :lol:

Charlie Foley

Seeing the Cons on track to make gains really makes my blood boil. That was a perfectly functional minority government Trudeau had in place! I will be so pissed off if we end up with a Con minority, or even a weakened Lib minority that depends on Con votes to pass legislation. (Although that would see us return to the polls very soon I'd think.)

ABC as far as I'm concerned.
What would cons see as a “success” here? Do they have a legitimate shot at the most seats? Or if they got, say, 130-135 seats would that be seen as a win to hamper Trudeau even more?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks I’ll check that out. I am currently watching CTV as it came up on Google. Is CBC more reputable?
The counter on CTV switched from 23-9 to 24-8; I’d rather it said 0-0. So frustrating :lol: :lol:
CTV is also fine probably. I'm just used to watching CBC (or rather its francophone counterpart, Radio-Cabana).

Yeah, you have to follow what they're saying, cause actually some of those ridings already have been called. They'll start showing things in a more meaningful way soon though, once the voting closes in Quebec and Ontario, where two thirds of the Canadian population lives.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What would cons see as a “success” here? Do they have a legitimate shot at the most seats? Or if they got, say, 130-135 seats would that be seen as a win to hamper Trudeau even more?
I don't know how they define success themselves. At some point in the campaign, they were overtaking the libs, but that dropped off again. I think currently they're about even in the polls, but given that the Con vote is more focused on specific ridings in rural BC and Manitoba and in Alberta and Saskatchewan, it's more difficult for them to translate that into lots of ridings won.

As a result, while the Libs and Cons where close in overall polls (31.5% to 31%), the Libs were given a larger chance than the Cons to win a majority government (17% vs 1%) or a minority government (57% vs 25%). I'm getting this from the CBC polls aggregator: https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

I know that's not really what you're asking; but so all in all, I think the Cons will be a bit disappointed with a small gain in seats, happy with a significant gain, and absolutely overjoyed with a minority win.

Charlie Foley

CTV is also fine probably. I'm just used to watching CBC (or rather its francophone counterpart, Radio-Cabana).

Yeah, you have to follow what they're saying, cause actually some of those ridings already have been called. They'll start showing things in a more meaningful way soon though, once the voting closes in Quebec and Ontario, where two thirds of the Canadian population lives.
Ok, I might check out Radio-Cabana! Though CTV seems fine so far, coming across pretty measured.
I’m really not a fan of FPTP.

Charlie Foley

I don't know how they define success themselves. At some point in the campaign, they were overtaking the libs, but that dropped off again. I think currently they're about even in the polls, but given that the Con vote is more focused on specific ridings in rural BC and Manitoba and in Alberta and Saskatchewan, it's more difficult for them to translate that into lots of ridings won.

As a result, while the Libs and Cons where close in overall polls (31.5% to 31%), the Libs were given a larger chance than the Cons to win a majority government (17% vs 1%) or a minority government (57% vs 25%). I'm getting this from the CBC polls aggregator: https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

I know that's not really what you're asking; but so all in all, I think the Cons will be a bit disappointed with a small gain in seats, happy with a significant gain, and absolutely overjoyed with a minority win.
Cheers, though given the Libs lost the popular vote and still won more seats, you’d think that any popular vote lead, even tight, would have them optimistic…

Bernadette Jordan going. Oh boy :nervous:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ok, I might check out Radio-Cabana! Though CTV seems fine so far, coming across pretty measured.
I’m really not a fan of FPTP.
I deeply hate FPTP, in case that wasn't clear yet. ;) The electoral system was a big topic in the 2015 elections, where Trudeau promised that it'd be the last FPTP elections if he won. But of course, he reversed course after he won a big majority.

OK, to be fair, he did set up a committee to study options, but was rather lukewarm about it and only willing to support the ranked ballot alternative. (Which would favour the Libs probably.) No-one else liked that so all went silent afterwards; but Trudeau said last week that he is still open to ranked ballot voting, and other parties might be coming round to accepting it as the only alternative that stands a chance. (But not the Cons, they don't want any change.) It's not great, but at least better than this abomination.

Radio-Canada is in French btw, so I suppose you meant CBC. But I'm not aware of anything being wrong with CTV. They're a middle-of-the-road station to my knowledge - kinda like CBC, except privately owned.

Charlie Foley

I deeply hate FPTP, in case that wasn't clear yet. ;) The electoral system was a big topic in the 2015 elections, where Trudeau promised that it'd be the last FPTP elections if he won. But of course, he reversed course after he won a big majority.

OK, to be fair, he did set up a committee to study options, but was rather lukewarm about it and only willing to support the ranked ballot alternative. (Which would favour the Libs probably.) No-one else liked that so all went silent afterwards; but Trudeau said last week that he is still open to ranked ballot voting, and other parties might be coming round to accepting it as the only alternative that stands a chance. (But not the Cons, they don't want any change.) It's not great, but at least better than this abomination.

Radio-Canada is in French btw, so I suppose you meant CBC. But I'm not aware of anything being wrong with CTV. They're a middle-of-the-road station to my knowledge - kinda like CBC, except privately owned.
Re FPTP-yes haha, though I am getting hints you and I might agree on a few political topics :lol: And a french speaking channel is all good, I studied and worked in france so have a high level, but since I moved to America i don’t speak it as much so like to keep it in my ear where I can!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Actually, I read this just now on CBC:
The COVID-19 pandemic has led many to vote by special ballot (1,267,014 ballots have been mailed out and 951,039 returned as of Monday, according to Elections Canada). That means it could take a while before you know who won and lost, especially in ridings where polling conducted during the 36-day campaign suggests the margin is razor thin.

However, Elections Canada told CBC News soon after those polls closed that it expects close to 95 per cent of those ballots to be counted tonight.
So looks like we should have all results tonight - but I suppose that could get pretty late for you in NB. ;) (If I'm not mistaken about your location.)