Canadian Politics

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Re FPTP-yes haha, though I am getting hints you and I might agree on a few political topics :lol: And a french speaking channel is all good, I studied and worked in france so have a high level, but since I moved to America i don’t speak it as much so like to keep it in my ear where I can!
And Canadian French is the best! Win-win! There were some awesome Acadian accents on display when I was watching just now.

I do like Radio-Canada better than CBC actually; less sensationalist in their general tone and style. There's no real difference in terms of content or quality though.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Watching an interview with a PPC spokesman makes clear you can spot a right wing weirdo across borders.

Charlie Foley

And Canadian French is the best! Win-win! There were some awesome Acadian accents on display when I was watching just now.

I do like Radio-Canada better than CBC actually; less sensationalist in their general tone and style. There's no real difference in terms of content or quality though.
They have a counter of élus and en tête. I’m sold!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This was such a pointless election.
Totally. At least it looks like the Libs might be able to get majorities in parliament with the help of the NDP. Which would mean that completely absolutely nothing has changed, but also that we won't get back to elections within a couple of months. And maybe it will teach the political class that minority governments can be fine and don't have to be dissolved at the earliest possible opportunity.

hobbers

A snap election with almost an identical return in seats for each party. Only in Canada.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A snap election with almost an identical return in seats for each party. Only in Canada.
It's an enormous own goal by Trudeau, who was well ahead in the polls and then lost all that goodwill by calling a completely unnecessary snap election.

Or that's one narrative, anyway.

Either way, he'll come out of this weakened, cause now everyone knows that it's not in Trudeau's advantage to let the government fall. So maybe the NDP won't give its support as easily now, and the net result of the election will be a slight move left. But let's see.

Also, I'm watching Bernier's speech now, prefaced by his supporters shouting 'Freedom, Freedom, Freedom'. :houllier:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Wow, not good for Annamie Paul.
I'm not all that surprised. Her riding is a liberal stronghold, she has barely campaigned (certainly not nationally), and the Greens had all those issues the past couple of months. Although I guess it's still a terribly poor performance, even despite all that.

I don't get at all why she insisted on running there in the first place. I get that it's her home and all that, but what's the point of having a party leader in an unwinnable riding?

Lovely to see Ellen Ruth Brosseau on course to regain her rural Quebec riding btw. She rode the Quebec NDP orange wave to victory in 2011, despite not speaking French and barely knowing her riding. But she since learned French and got very involved, to the point where she was one of much fewer Quebec NDP candidates to get reelected in 2015. She then lost by a thousand votes to the Bloc in 2019, when the NDP was reduced to one MP in Quebec - and now she's ahead by some 500, to maybe become the NDP's second Quebec MP again. I hope she manages to hold on to that.

Charlie Foley

I'm not all that surprised. Her riding is a liberal stronghold, she has barely campaigned (certainly not nationally), and the Greens had all those issues the past couple of months. Although I guess it's still a terribly poor performance, even despite all that.

I don't get at all why she insisted on running there in the first place. I get that it's her home and all that, but what's the point of having a party leader in an unwinnable riding?
What do you make of that Elizabeth May interview?

Charlie Foley

Sorry, missed it. Must have been while I was on my phone or getting a beer... (Election night sofa party! :D ) What did she say?
said she hadn’t spoken with Paul outside of a particular meeting in a long time; said Paul took a big risk running where she did (though didn’t May do similar in the past) and that she had never seen the party so unprepared/disorganised for an election as this.
I have been reading up on it, a huge amount of division between Paul and a lot of people in the party.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's an enormous own goal by Trudeau, who was well ahead in the polls and then lost all that goodwill by calling a completely unnecessary snap election.

Or that's one narrative, anyway.

Either way, he'll come out of this weakened, cause now everyone knows that it's not in Trudeau's advantage to let the government fall. So maybe the NDP won't give its support as easily now, and the net result of the election will be a slight move left. But let's see.

Also, I'm watching Bernier's speech now, prefaced by his supporters shouting 'Freedom, Freedom, Freedom'. :houllier:
Hopefully so, I don't wanna go to jail.

Dr. Dwayne

O Toole wanted to get rid of CBC.
I agree. They can pay their own way, or most of it. I've no problem funding the pieces that provide service to remote communities but not the other stuff. At least they aren't paying Peter Mansbridge a million dollars a year anymore.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree. They can pay their own way, or most of it. I've no problem funding the pieces that provide service to remote communities but not the other stuff. At least they aren't paying Peter Mansbridge a million dollars a year anymore.
Well, I don't care too much about CBC, but I really like Radio-Canada as it is now. Strong journalism, and no crazy costs for things like hockey (they don't own the rights in French). There is no good alternative for Francophones.
said she hadn’t spoken with Paul outside of a particular meeting in a long time; said Paul took a big risk running where she did (though didn’t May do similar in the past) and that she had never seen the party so unprepared/disorganised for an election as this.
I have been reading up on it, a huge amount of division between Paul and a lot of people in the party.
Yeah, the Greens have been a mess for a while. I expect Paul to step down, voluntarily or forced. Whatever the reason (the party top might not be very collaborative with her either), her leadership isn't working out for the party and that's not sustainable.

Dr. Dwayne

Well, I don't care too much about CBC, but I really like Radio-Canada as it is now. Strong journalism, and no crazy costs for things like hockey (they don't own the rights in French). There is no good alternative for Francophones.
Yes, I'm happy to fund that stuff with taxpayer money, but their swanky downtown Toronto HQ and English language drams and sitcoms should not need our money. Same for The National.

Yeah, the Greens have been a mess for a while. I expect Paul to step down, voluntarily or forced. Whatever the reason (the party top might not be very collaborative with her either), her leadership isn't working out for the party and that's not sustainable.
I'm amazed they managed to find a leader worse than Elizabeth May :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes, I'm happy to fund that stuff with taxpayer money, but their swanky downtown Toronto HQ and English language drams and sitcoms should not need our money. Same for The National.
Totally agree. No need for public tv to go for commercial appeal or that sort of thing; it should about providing information and supporting 'culture' and that sort of thing (I know, very vague). That's what a national mandate should look like. And to be fair, R-C doesn't fully limit itself to that either.

Foxbatt

People should have voted for the Marijuana Party. At least their candidates would love to be stoned. :D

Dr. Dwayne

Totally agree. No need for public tv to go for commercial appeal or that sort of thing; it should about providing information and supporting 'culture' and that sort of thing (I know, very vague). That's what a national mandate should look like. And to be fair, R-C doesn't fully limit itself to that either.
There's some truth to that but they do provide a service to remote or unique communities that a non-Crown Corporation wouldn't undertake due to the lack of profitability.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There's some truth to that but they do provide a service to remote or unique communities that a non-Crown Corporation wouldn't undertake due to the lack of profitability.
What service like that did I not cover though? Genuine question. Because they can't get cable and so are dependent on antenna channels, which is basically just public tv now?

Dr. Dwayne

What service like that did I not cover though? Genuine question. Because they can't get cable and so are dependent on antenna channels, which is basically just public tv now?
Sorry, not worded quite right. You've touched on most everything, I just wanted to highlight that no one else would provide that in CBCs absence, especially the radio piece but also the French language content.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sorry, not worded quite right. You've touched on most everything, I just wanted to highlight that no one else would provide that in CBCs absence, especially the radio piece but also the French language content.
Ah okay, got it.

AshRK

Pointless election. Surprised Trudeau still managed to win. But hey its what it is.