Canadian Politics

RedDevilQuebecois

If anything, it gives now a lot more incentives for the Liberal-NDP coalition to see it through to the very end of the 4-year term. By 2025, more programs that benefit Canadians will be put forward and, hopefully, Poilièvre will have lost all centrists/independents because of his shenanigans.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If anything, it gives now a lot more incentives for the Liberal-NDP coalition to see it through to the very end of the 4-year term. By 2025, more programs that benefit Canadians will be put forward and, hopefully, Poilièvre will have lost all centrists/independents because of his shenanigans.
I just can't see what's the attraction in Poilièvre's ideas and politics for anyone that's not strongly on the right. (I.e., the old Reform Party part of the CPC.) I get that Trudeau is really far past his sell-by date for many people and that they're not interested in the NDP - but Poilièvre isn't just a boring centre-right alternative like O'Toole tried to be. To my mind, outside AB, SK, and rural BC/MB/ON, Poilièvre is pretty far from the PC centrist base. And that is not a road to a majority anymore; there just aren't enough people in the remaining demographic. For those reasons, I do expect a CPC win at the next elections, but I don't think it can be more than a minority with which no-one will want to consistently collaborate.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
To not only talk about the Cons here, Trudeau has again shown people to be pretty tone-deaf:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-vacation-jamaica-1.6813395

I personally can't really care what politicians do in their private life (as long as it's legal and respectful), but many do, and it's not the first time Trudeau hangs out in one of his rich buddies' places with questionable ethical optics (if there aren't just actual issues).

I think this only contributes to the impression that he's past his best-by date. I wonder if the Liberals are thinking of replacing him. I continue to be quite impressed by Chrystia Freeland, and I think she could rake in a lot of votes and be a great PM. It's about time we had someone else than a white dude anyway! (Well, I guess there's Kim Campbell's 4.5 months in the job in 1993...)

RedDevilQuebecois

From an event in Belleville, look at that cnut in the orange t-shirt and the Trump-style flags as well. That guy is affiliated with the hate group Hold Fast endorsed by that Arnold Toht lookalike (Pierre Poilièvre) as well. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Some asshole(s) apparently also hurled antisemitic insults in there as well.

If people don't have anything legitimate to make a case about (like better social services, more affordable housing, better schools, other infrastructure projects, etc.), please feck right off. Clowns like that sick orange feck are goddamn pathetic and undeserving of my sympathy. Yelling for the sake of yelling with zero substance is a losing proposition. They should feel lucky to live in a democracy because they obviously deserve to be dumped in a real dictatorship for a while before they come back begging for forgiveness.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
From an event in Belleville, look at that cnut in the orange t-shirt and the Trump-style flags as well. That guy is affiliated with the hate group Hold Fast endorsed by that Arnold Toht lookalike (Pierre Poilièvre) as well. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Some asshole(s) apparently also hurled antisemitic insults in there as well.

If people don't have anything legitimate to make a case about (like better social services, more affordable housing, better schools, other infrastructure projects, etc.), please feck right off. Clowns like that sick orange feck are goddamn pathetic and undeserving of my sympathy. Yelling for the sake of yelling with zero substance is a losing proposition. They should feel lucky to live in a democracy because they obviously deserve to be dumped in a real dictatorship for a while before they come back begging for forgiveness.
It's harrassment really. They obviously have a right to protest, but this is far from what reasonable protest looks like. (Or from the Just Stop Oil protests that were discussed in another thread.) Kinda impressive actually how Trudeau manages to shake hands and make selfies in that noise, all squeezed in between bodyguards.

Has Poilièvre made any comment about this? Ultimately, the Cons, and Poilièvre in particular, have a large responsibility for the appearance of these mobs, with their inflammatory rhetoric from the past years. (Since Harper's final years really - where Poilièvre was already his main spokesperson for rabid nonsense.)

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

It's harrassment really. They obviously have a right to protest, but this is far from what reasonable protest looks like. (Or from the Just Stop Oil protests that were discussed in another thread.) Kinda impressive actually how Trudeau manages to shake hands and make selfies in that noise, all squeezed in between bodyguards.

Had Poilièvre made any comment about this? Ultimately, the Cons, and Poilièvre in particular, have a large responsibility for the appearance of these mobs, with their inflammatory rhetoric from the past years. (Since Harper's final years really - where Poilièvre was already his main spokesperson for rabid nonsense.)
It is outright harrassment.

Someone somewhere on Twitter made a really good remark that people with legitimate demands would come up with signs for the media to see. Those "protesters" showed up with nothing like legitimate demands at all. I'm also surprised that Trudeau actually kept his nerve to shake hands with people while so many bodyguards and rabid dogs in the mix.

Poilièvre will do nothing as usual. I don't think I have ever heard him calling for calm and decorum at all ever since he became CPC leader; he is just relishing in that chaos and inflammatory rhetoric. Someone will get hurt if nothing changes soon, especially with such an irresponsible party leader.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Doug Ford has to be proper fecked after this. Any input from our Ontario-based residents?

Also: Ontario government's Greenbelt land swap influenced by well-connected developers, Auditor General finds (CBC)

"You see that glow in the corner of your eye? That's your career dissipation light. It just went into high gear."
It looks like this will die a quick death in the news right now and will be more of an election issue. Ford already got his excuses in, saying they're working hard and it's a pity that this sometimes leads to errors, yadda-yadda-yadda, and that they'll implement all of the Auditor Generals 15 recommendations except for the one where they suggest rescinding the decision - which would obviously be the key thing to do! But he'll get away with it for now by emphasizing it's all for that huge housing priority. (Even thought the AG pointed out that the land needs had already been met before this Greenbelt land swap.)

It is blatant corruption though, there are no two ways about it, and I suppose the government will let someone take the fall for it before too long. It's most likely going to be the housing minister's Chief of Staff, as the government so far have been able to stay strong on the claim that he acted alone without informing the minister. But maybe they'll fire the minister if that line of defence breaks. I don't expect any other immediate implications though - embarrassingly.

@Dr. Dwayne, have you been following this? Any insights?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not too much, Cheimoon. IMO any changes to the greenbelt restrictions were always going to be highly suspect and likely corrupt.
It's so obvious, too. These developers bought greenbelt land before the process started, then suggested which parcels to swap out, got most of those listed - and now stand to make billions in profit. It's actually quite striking how non-secretive it's all been. Did theyactually think this was above board, or are they really that unconcerned about any consequences?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's so obvious, too. These developers bought greenbelt land before the process started, then suggested which parcels to swap out, got most of those listed - and now stand to make billions in profit. It's actually quite striking how non-secretive it's all been. Did theyactually think this was above board, or are they really that unconcerned about any consequences?
I would guess the only consequences would be fines, which they'll not even notice with the billions they are getting.

RedDevilQuebecois

Slothpinski is nothing but a conservative troll of the very worst kind. Many Canadians on social media even called his parents out as abject failures for raising such a cnut.

With the way he spoke about teenage girls and prostitutes, I swear the RCMP should be knocking at his door and then monitor him 24h/day.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Slothpinski is nothing but a conservative troll of the very worst kind. Many Canadians on social media even called his parents out as abject failures for raising such a cnut.

With the way he spoke about teenage girls and prostitutes, I swear the RCMP should be knocking at his door and then monitor him 24h/day.
Yeah, figured I’d get a response like yours. I expected to see posts galore like this one when I clicked on his handle, but he has them protected.

Doesn’t seem a redeemable chap.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, figured I’d get a response like yours. I expected to see posts galore like this one when I clicked on his handle, but he has them protected.

Doesn’t seem a redeemable chap.
I was wondering how old that daughter actually is. She's 14! What kind of sicko thinks that's sort of comment is ok?! (It's low at any age, but to say this about an actual child...?!)

Also, this sort of thing won't affect the voting public in Canada at all. The private life of politicians doesn't much feature at all in campaigns, no-one really cares as far as I know. It's just this dude labelling himself as scum.

RedDevilQuebecois

Well, I guess that's four more years of Liberal minority government sorted. :rolleyes:
You're talking about this?

Conservatives approve policies to limit transgender health care for minors, end race-based hiring (CBC)

Peak stupidity in full display. If there is one thing that should be obviously known is that the majority of Canadians don't like this kind of GOP-like crap being floated around.

If the end result in 2 years' time is another minority Liberal government in a coalition with the NDP, then so be it as the last thing Canada needs is GOP-style crazy in power. A former Brian Mulroney-era minister also said something interesting during the week about the risk that Polièvre might be peaking too early at this time. I hope he's right.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Well, I guess that's four more years of Liberal minority government sorted. :rolleyes:

Conservatives approve policies to limit transgender health care for minors, end race-based hiring (CBC)

Peak stupidity in full display. If there is one thing that should be obviously known is that the majority of Canadians don't like this kind of GOP-like crap being floated around.

If the end result in 2 years' time is another minority Liberal government in a coalition with the NDP, then so be it as the last thing Canada needs is GOP-style crazy in power. A former Brian Mulroney-era minister also said something interesting during the week about the risk that Polièvre might be peaking too early at this time. I hope he's right.
I'd be happy to get rid of the Trudeau Liberals, but please not because the CPC won - and especially not that populist attack dog Poilièvre. That would be absolutely horrendous.

I don't think these conference votes will hold him back much though. The Liberals will emphasize them, but Poilièvre is not obliged to campaign on them and obviously won't, so these won't be big campaign themes. It's just CPC backbenchers making a stand on their pet issues. It won't help the CPC in Quebec I suppose, but then they don't stand much chance of winning anything new over there anyway, as long as the Bloc is strong.

Poilièvre does have plenty of weaknesses though. He stands a good chance if the economy hasn't improved come election time, but if affordability isn't as big an issue anymore by then, then I don't think he'll win much, as too many people recognize how odious a character he is. And he'll have the issue of having to both appear like a populist nutcase to keep Bernier away, and as a centre-right guy that centrist voters can switch to.

Dr. Dwayne

Yep. They don't need to pander to those groups. They'll vote Conservative anyway but in doing so they'll turn moderate swing voters to the Liberals.

WPMUFC

i don't follow anything Canadian politics. Would the Liberals consider dumping Trudeau to try and save seats?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
i don't follow anything Canadian politics. Would the Liberals consider dumping Trudeau to try and save seats?
Secretly quite a few might, but I don't think it's possible within the party. It's not clear anyway what it would achieve. It might stop voters that got bored or disillusioned from leaving, but there might also still be a significant section that does really like Trudeau. Plus you'd have to be really sure of the successor. (I personally quite like Chrystia Freeland, the Vice-PM and Minister of Finance who's quite leftist; but I don't know if she has any charisma or what her general appeal would be.)

RedDevilQuebecois

Secretly quite a few might, but I don't think it's possible within the party. It's not clear anyway what it would achieve. It might stop voters that got bored or disillusioned from leaving, but there might also still be a significant section that does really like Trudeau. Plus you'd have to be really sure of the successor. (I personally quite like Chrystia Freeland, the Vice-PM and Minister of Finance who's quite leftist; but I don't know if she has any charisma or what her general appeal would be.)
I also like Chrystia Freeland as an eventual LPC leader. People who remember the negotiations that led to the creation of the new USMCA superseding NAFTA will remind us that she made life very difficult for Trump's economic negotiators. I know that taking the spotlight in national politics is quite different, but Paul Martin also managed to even win a general election after he emerged from Jean Chrétien's shadow. Martin could have remained PM for a longer time if it wasn't for the erosion of public trust created by the Liberal sponsorship scandal in 2004.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Can someone explain to me how limiting healthcare access for trans kids while simultaneously demanding bodily autonomy (ie regarding vaccines) is anything but a double standard.

On one hand they are irate the government could interfere with health care and tell them what to do but if you are a trans kid they want government to tell you and your parents what to do.

What happens to the next group they hate?

RedDevilQuebecois

Can someone explain to me how limiting healthcare access for trans kids while simultaneously demanding bodily autonomy (ie regarding vaccines) is anything but a double standard.

On one hand they are irate the government could interfere with health care and tell them what to do but if you are a trans kid they want government to tell you and your parents what to do.

They already made a move there; they voted against the process of preferential hiring of minorities by research institutions. They are fighting against affirmative action like Republicans do. You would believe that the CPC is becoming a mirror image of the GOP in its own current state.

Nevertheless, this what is written on Wikipedia about affirmative action in Canada and why it is lawful.
The equality section of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms explicitly permits affirmative action type legislation, although the Charter does not require legislation that gives preferential treatment. Subsection 2 of Section 15 states that the equality provisions do "not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability".

The Canadian Employment Equity Act requires employers in federally-regulated industries to give preferential treatment to four designated groups: Women, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples, and visible minorities. Less than one-third of Canadian Universities offer alternative admission requirements for students of aboriginal descent. Some provinces and territories also have affirmative action-type policies. For example, in the Northwest Territories in the Canadian north, aboriginal people are given preference for jobs and education and are considered to have P1 status. Non-aboriginal people who were born in the NWT or have resided half of their life there are considered a P2, as well as women and people with disabilities

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Don't try to make sense of the conservative caucus. The fringe elements of the party run wild there and the leadership are too stupid to tell them where to shove their antiquated wannabe MAGAism.

Remember, these are the people who though Andrew Scheer was an electable candidate for PM.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Remember, these are the people who though Andrew Scheer was an electable candidate for PM.
And then went centrist with O'Toole. And then populist fringe again with Poilièvre. It's like United under Woodward! (Although O'Toole campaigned a lot more on the right when trying to become CPC leader than during the national elections.)

Dr. Dwayne

Canadian parliament gives standing ovation to an Ukrainian Nazi

Nothing on this on here? At the time of lots of nazi labels thrown at Russians this seem like an absolutely embarrassing for the Canadians.
It came up in the hypernormalization thread but it's not really a big thing. Someone didn't do their homework on a guy sitting in the public gallery. Canada has loads of Ukrainians who fled here due to Russian oppression over the years.

Kostov

It came up in the hypernormalization thread but it's not really a big thing. Someone didn't do their homework on a guy sitting in the public gallery. Canada has loads of Ukrainians who fled here due to Russian oppression over the years.
Not really a big thing to commemorate a nazi soldier from a division that was commiting war crimes? He did not fled Russian oppression, those guys committed monstrous acts on the eastern front and he should have died in jail or hanged, he is no war hero.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is there a thread about the honoring of the Ukranian Nazi in the Canadian parlament?
There's a Canadian Politics thread where you could bring that up. Or do you mean to suggest it has a bearing on this subject here somehow?
I just couldn't find it and saw this one first. Guess there is no separate thread then?
Nazi you say? Don't think the Indian government would have an issue with that. Not too far from their own ideology.
I suppose this here would be the right existing thread to bring this up.

For context: in Canada, the Speaker of the House of Commons is a Member of Parliament (MP) who becomes basically an independent member when they are elected Speaker (by the other MPs). As Speaker, they have their own office and the right to invite people to attend discussions on specific topics or visits by foreign dignitaries. The Speaker can also ask for a guest to be honoured by Parliament.

So that's what happened here. When Zelensky was visiting Canada two weeks ago, the then-Speaker, Anthony Rota, among others invited Yaroslav Hunka to attend Zelensky's speech to the Canadian Parliament. I can't remember why exactly he was invited, but during this visit, Rota asked Parliament to recognize Hunka, who got a standing ovation from all MPs.

Subsequently, it came out that Hunka had in fact volunteerd during WWII to join a nazi fighting unit and really extremely undeserving (to put it nicely) of this respect. That's obviously extremely embarrassing and therefore this caused huge uproar in Canada, with the largest opposition party blaming Trudeau for allowing this to happen. That actually makes no sense, as the Speaker decides on these visits independently; but so the Speaker did have to resign from his job, and actually just today Parliament decided on his replacement.

There isn't much to say otherwise. It's hugely embarrassing of course, and already has been used in Russian propaganda. But other than that, it appears to be a tragic error made due to pretty lousy vetting procedures (from what I've read, staff from the Speaker's office just do their own internet searchers...). Very embarrassing of course, and it's right that the Speaker resigned. But there doesn't seem to be much else to it.

Edit: Ah, just too late. :)

Dr. Dwayne

Not really a big thing to commemorate a nazi soldier from a division that was commiting war crimes? He did not fled Russian oppression, those guys committed monstrous acts on the eastern front and he should have died in jail or hanged, he is no war hero.
He was sat in the public gallery and pointed out by the Speaker, who didn't do his homework on a guy recommended to him by one of his constituents for the visit of Zelenskyy. "Commemorate" is a bit of a stretch. Was it dumb? Absolutely, but the only thing it feeds is Russian propaganda about Ukraine being full of Nazis to legitimize their illegal invasion of a sovereign country.

No doubt he committed atrocities being part of a Waffen SS division but those people are a tiny fraction of those who came here in numerous waves to escape unfair treatment at the hands of Russia from the Czars, the Bolsheviks and now Putin.

iKnowNothing

What’s happening in Canada that Trudeau one morning says Indian govt got a Canadian citizen killed and then a few days/weeks later days he doesn’t want to escalate? I mean coming out with such a statement in the parliament and dismissing one of the Indian diplomats is a pretty big move. Why take two steps forward and then one step back?

Edit:

asking this because I read/heard somewhere that due to internal Canadian politics, Trudeau had to get ahead of the news cycle when he first spoke about it.
I guess my question is - is he walking on thin ice?

Dr. Dwayne

But other than that, it appears to be a tragic error made due to pretty lousy vetting procedures (from what I've read, staff from the Speaker's office just do their own internet searchers...)
To be fair, what I heard on the CBC is that Hunka had made blog posts about his time in the Waffen SS that are actually quite easy to find online so I don't think they even vetted the guy beyond what the Speaker's constituent told him.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What’s happening in Canada that Trudeau one morning says Indian govt got a Canadian citizen killed and then a few days/weeks later days he doesn’t want to escalate? I mean coming out with such a statement in the parliament and dismissing one of the Indian diplomats is a pretty big move. Why take two steps forward and then one step back?

Edit:

asking this because I read/heard somewhere that due to internal Canadian politics, Trudeau had to get ahead of the news cycle when he first spoke about it.
I guess my question is - is he walking on thin ice?
There's a lot more on that subject in this thread here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/tru...nt-in-killing-of-canadian-sikh-leader.479327/. But in short, I think Trudeau is trying to find a middle ground between holding the Indian government to account for what they appear to have done (based on preliminary conclusions) and not destroying attempts to get a better relationship with India - which of course is impossible and not working at all.
To be fair, what I heard on the CBC is that Hunka had made blog posts about his time in the Waffen SS that are actually quite easy to find online so I don't think they even vetted the guy beyond what the Speaker's constituent told him.
Damn, that would be next--level dumb. I read a CBC article about how ill-defined and vague the invitation and vetting processes are. I suppose Greg Fergus's (the new Speaker) first action will be to set up a proper process for this stuff.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There he goes again: an expensive vacation (in state costs) and no transparency.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-montana-weekend-cost-1.6986793

And that's when the Liberals are doing all they can to counter the Conservatives' messages about an overspending government...

It might be small stuff, but the visual is everything. Trudeau knows that inside out, his image is pretty much what he got elected on. Is he becoming a liability for his own party? I mean, how much of Poilièvre's criticism will still stick once the Liberals replace Trudeau?

RedDevilQuebecois

This went slightly under the radar because, thank God, there were no causualties. However, the shooter was a former security guard airing grievances on a lot of things. Based on a number of details coming from the video he filmed of himself prior to the act, he has been radicalized by Pierre Poilièvre, UCP and Rebel Media talking points.

When I say in other places that Trumpism is currently poisoning my country so much that any sense of respect for our institutions is being lost, I am serious. People like Pierre Poilièvre, Danielle Smith and all of the scumbags at Rebel News are the resulting cancer that we are dealing with.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This went slightly under the radar because, thank God, there were no causualties. However, the shooter was a former security guard airing grievances on a lot of things. Based on a number of details coming from the video he filmed of himself prior to the act, he has been radicalized by Pierre Poilièvre, UCP and Rebel Media talking points.

When I say in other places that Trumpism is currently poisoning my country so much that any sense of respect for our institutions is being lost, I am serious. People like Pierre Poilièvre, Danielle Smith and all of the scumbags at Rebel News are the resulting cancer that we are dealing with.
Absolutely. It's crazy stuff. See Poland as well btw, for a place where political discourse is deeply damaged by this nonsense. But yeah, US conservatism is obviously the direct influence on Canadian right-wing nonsense here.